New Face of Murder?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
Bullying in schools is an epidemic that has led to multiple teen suicides. So those who engage in bullying are they responsible for bully related suicides? Should they be prosecuted? My personal opinion is they should be prosecuted and held accountable. My best friend was tormented in high school and barely made it through his freshman and sophomore years. Your opinions?

*http://youtu.be/klna5L9St3Q

AsbestosFlaygon
I was a victim of bullying back in my elementary and high school years.
I was forced to visit a psychologist because of it and he advised me to take some time off from school and relax.
One year of my life was wasted on recovery. It was worth it, though.
It wasn't easy, but somehow I managed to move on from the trauma.

dadudemon
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
I was a victim of bullying back in my elementary and high school years.
I was forced to visit a psychologist because of it and he advised me to take some time off from school and relax.
One year of my life was wasted on recovery. It was worth it, though.
It wasn't easy, but somehow I managed to move on from the trauma.

That really sucks. Kids can be bastards.

I blame bullying mostly on the parents and the child doing it.

jinXed by JaNx
i blame it on the schools

ADarksideJedi
I was bullied in school as well but back then it was not a big deal and the teachers did not really get involved. It is now a big deal because they get involved more and now have the internet to countune it. It is also done not only in schools but work places and sites like this one and others.

TacDavey
I think blaming another kid for someone's suicide is a dangerous road to go down. Someone commits suicide and everyone starts pointing fingers about who was responsible. Then the kid who called him a momma's boy, or got into a fight with him a few days ago get's dragged before a court to figure out if they were responsible for the kid's decision to take his life.

The example being a bit extreme, yes, but you get my point. Especially if it isn't immediately clear what made the kid commit suicide.

Bullies should get in trouble for being bullies. Not for killing someone they didn't kill.

Lemmiwinks
I stopped Wikileaks

http://www.southparkstudios.com/full-episodes/s15e10-bass-to-mouth

RE: Blaxican
I was bullied all throughout middle school.

Then one day I hit someone and got suspended from school for two days. After that I wasn't bullied anymore.

When it comes to things like children, I think people underestimate the value of sticking up for yourself. Being bullied by other kids, and rising above it, is an important part of growing up and learning how to cope in our world, imo.

Lemmiwinks
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
I was bullied all throughout middle school.

Then one day I hit someone and got suspended from school for two days. After that I wasn't bullied anymore.

When it comes to things like children, I think people underestimate the value of sticking up for yourself. Being bullied by other kids, and rising above it, is an important part of growing up and learning how to cope in our world, imo.

Agreed violence is the answer at school.

:-)

inimalist
Originally posted by TacDavey
The example being a bit extreme, yes, but you get my point. Especially if it isn't immediately clear what made the kid commit suicide.

is that an actual example?

YankeeWhaler
First you do have to stand up for yourself and be persistant. Talk to the person many times and get some coping skills on how to deflect it all.

Martial arts is great for that, because it shows you, don't resist, its the worst thing you can do.

Blend with it, go with the flow, be a willow and be persistant, most of the times people are testing you, can you handle the stress or are YOU falling apart by what someone says? Of course physical violence is wrong at any age.
But when you can allow someone to say whatever they say and not be upset about it, then the bully goes away.

YankeeWhaler
In jr high, saw someone get bullied and said to them to stop it. The bully then chose me as target. He threw a comb at me, and then as we were doing a group project and my desk was in the middle of the row, he said move to go get his comb. I said no, walk around and get it.

He punched my thigh and I got up and beat the crap out of him, he tried to charge me and I stepped out of the way and punched him again and again in the face and head.
It was rather spontaneous and after a few moments, I walked out of the classroom and down to the principals office and told them what happened.

Got in zero trouble, and in fact had people tell me, he had coming, and was some sort of hero in the school.

So stand up for yourself.

YankeeWhaler
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Bullying in schools is an epidemic that has led to multiple teen suicides. So those who engage in bullying are they responsible for bully related suicides? Should they be prosecuted? My personal opinion is they should be prosecuted and held accountable. My best friend was tormented in high school and barely made it through his freshman and sophomore years. Your opinions?

*http://youtu.be/klna5L9St3Q

Its very easy to get into the victim mode, you just have to refuse to be one. Check out the Karpman drama triangle, Lynne Forrest also works on this.

But once you refuse to be a victim, all the drama goes away. Just another layer of coping skills to deal with anyone who is causing issues.

Just walk away and they are powerless.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by YankeeWhaler
First you do have to stand up for yourself and be persistant. Talk to the person many times and get some coping skills on how to deflect it all.
If you were really bullied, you'd know that talking to a bully is the least effective way to handle the situation.
In my case, it made it worse.

I think this bullying trait is naturally innate to each person.
It's either you are one, or not.

Dying Forum
In jr high, saw someone get bullied and said to them to stop it. The bully then chose me as target. He threw a comb at me, and then as we were doing a group project and my desk was in the middle of the row, he said move to go get his comb. I said no, walk around and get it.

He punched my thigh and I got up and beat the crap out of him, he tried to charge me and I stepped out of the way and punched him again and again in the face and head.
It was rather spontaneous and after a few moments, I walked out of the classroom and down to the principals office and told them what happened.

Got in zero trouble, and in fact had people tell me, he had coming, and was some sort of hero in the school.

So stand up for yourself.

Wow you sound tough, but not really!

ADarksideJedi

Martial arts is great for that, because it shows you, don't resist, its the worst thing you can do.

Blend with it, go with the flow, be a willow and be persistant, most of the times people are testing you, can you handle the stress or are YOU falling apart by what someone says? Of course physical violence is wrong at any age.
But when you can allow someone to say whatever they say and not be upset about it, then the bully goes away.

I argee that would be the best way to feel better about yourself and keep things in control. smile

TacDavey
Originally posted by inimalist
is that an actual example?

You mean did it really happen? No. I was just using it to illustrate my point.

RE: Blaxican
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
If you were really bullied, you'd know that talking to a bully is the least effective way to handle the situation.
In my case, it made it worse.

I think this bullying trait is naturally innate to each person.
It's either you are one, or not. Depends on how you talk to them. Bullying is an enabling relationship. The only reason someone can bully you is because you let them.

Nemesis X
While I think bullies should experience the full extent of the law for being bullies, I believe that you should give them your own brand of justice. Don't be standing there letting some punk give you crap. Sock him in the jaw if you have to. Anything to show people you do not want to be messed with. If you think suicide is the answer, congratulations, you're a weak little whiner who has lost everyone's respect.

Blinky
I tell my nephew that the trick is -- do not be the dumbest, slowest, weakest or wimpiest kid in school.

Once a bully knows you'll put up a decent fight, he'll always move on to an easier target.

At least that was my experience...

StarCraft2
i was bullied but i fought back and gave the bully a bloody lip.

never called me fagget again

truejedi
there is absolutely NO WAY a bully should be charged with murder after someone commits suicide however, that's ridiculous. that is blaming the bully because the person didn't have a support structure in place to deal with the problem. This is the equivalent of charging a manager with murder after the person he fires kills himself.

Zampanó
Bit of a non-sequitur there, tj. The manager is part of a business, whose function may require termination of employment in some cases. There is no situation where a school child is required to treat another student poorly. The manager's actions were upholding his responsibilities; the bully's actions were just torture.

I believe that the issue should not be a legal one, insofar that it requires a unique protection under the law.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=gPyyqISm8eg
This beating should be dealt with under the assault and battery, and possibly hate crime laws, rather than any specifically tailored "bully law." I think that giving schoolyard bullying unique consequences sends the message that it is okay to torment people, as long as you do it in the right place.

Much more important than any specific legal measure is that the cultural perception of these incidents, and LGBT youth as a whole, changes dramatically. It is needs to be no more acceptable to terrorize children for being black than for being gay. (At some point even the most backwards members of society will have to notice that it is a mistake, in retrospect, every time a group is singled out for abuse.)

truejedi

ADarksideJedi
People charged the bullies anyway with murder. It is becoming such a big promblem now that people are trying to do something about it. When I went to school it was not a big promblem and the teachers normanly did not get involved. I don't know if that was a good or a bad thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.