a real short IQ test !!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kiana
try to answer this test! are you smart?

Try this only once and be honest...
This is not a joke, but a true test.

Read the following sentence:
FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

Now read through the above sentence counting aloud the "F"s as you find them (1...2...etc). Count them ONLY ONCE:
Do not go back and count them again!!!.

OK - GO! eek!

Scroll Down For The Answer...
DON'T CHEAT!! smile
evil face

---- ANSWER ----

There are six F's in the sentence. One of average intelligence finds three of them.
If you spotted four, you're above average.
If you got five, you can turn your nose at most anybody.
If you caught six, you are a genius.
There is no catch. Many people forget the "OF"'s. The human brain tends to see them as V's and not F's. Pretty weird, huh?

i found five f wink

Digi
Cute, but making a claim like "one of average intelligence..." based on the reading of a single sentence is clearly not defensible. Same with the others.

I scrolled down before taking the test so I didn't get my number.

steverules_2
I was clever enough to cheat wink

Korto Vos
I found all six, but I was specifically looking for the "F"s as I was reading the sentence.

This is a neat test, I can see why people might forget about the "Of."

Bardock42
Originally posted by Korto Vos
I found all six, but I was specifically looking for the "F"s as I was reading the sentence.

It's just something the mind does. Especially when you read over it once.

I was aware of the issue though, so I couldn't accurately try it.

It's not an intelligence test though, if you think it is you are of average intelligence (see what I did there).

inimalist
<---- genius

Korto Vos
Originally posted by Bardock42
It's just something the mind does. Especially when you read over it once.

I was aware of the issue though, so I couldn't accurately try it.

It's not an intelligence test though, if you think it is you are of average intelligence (see what I did there).

Yeah, it's a "nest test," and I agree in that it certainly cannot solely measure an individual's intelligence. I for one know I'm NOT a genius (although I am bright!).

Digi
Wouldn't reading with any kind of speed, even for comprehension, necessitate these sorts of linguistic/cognitive shortcuts? I think I'd actually be a little upset if a cursory reading of that sentence instantly revealed all the F's.

inimalist
as surprising as this might sound, attentional capture through top-down search for a target defined by a conjunction of features has nothing to do with intelligence

/the more you know

siriuswriter
I got five. I said the sentence out loud, and that helped me catch the "ofs."

That and I knew it had trick of some kind, having done a lot of little puzzles like this.

ETA : wait, where is number six? I got "Finished" "Files" "ScientiFic," and two "oF"s.

Bardock42
There's a third "of".

inimalist
Originally posted by kiana
FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE OF YEARS.

dadudemon
Obviously, I got six. I didn't read the sentence...I just looked for "f"s with my finger. It can easily be argued that I am an idiot for doing so because it is designed to make me read the sentence and miss the other "f"s. Because I didn't, I actually fit the bill, closer, for being an idiot because I acted like an idiot while doing the test.

Or this: attention assessment through a top-down information process for a linguistic nuance, is less about cognitive ability and more about testing for the deviation of an indivual from the linguistic nuance....or the invidual's ability to resist the linguistic nuance to arrive at the correct answer.

I can see why people might forget about the "Of."

It was the "of"s? I thought it was "scientific". I'm definitely an idiot. erm

Originally posted by inimalist
as surprising as this might sound, attentional capture through top-down search for a target defined by a conjunction of features has nothing to do with intelligence

/the more you know

Boy...

Your way of putting it is worded much better and correct than mine. hmm

I think it's just measuring deviation from a linguistic nuance. But I guess it can be boiled down to something even simpler.

BackFire
I got zero.

I'm barely even alive.

Mindset
BackFire, you got more than I expected.

Lestov16
I got 4...interesting

siriuswriter
Yeah, totally dropped out after "scientiFic."

A third "oF..." that's frustrating.

Kharhmah

This.

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
Your way of putting it is worded much better and correct than mine. hmm

I think it's just measuring deviation from a linguistic nuance. But I guess it can be boiled down to something even simpler.

actually, you described it yourself:

Originally posted by dadudemon
I didn't read the sentence...I just looked for "f"s with my finger.

as Digi pointed out, it would be ridiculous if, as we read something, we became aware of every individual phoneme, so you broke it down into a visual search task for an item defined by the conjunction of horizontal and vertical lines that comprise an "F".

the people who got less than 6 probably did the verbal task, and that's likely why they didn't see them all.

from the way you described your own performance however, you totally described a visual search rather than anything linguistic.

Mindship
This is better...

http://www.onlinebraingamesblog.com/online-brain-games/a-very-cool-brain-game-the-stroop-effect-test

Have a fun!

NeoGills
I found five F just like you! LOL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.