Gladiator vs Wolverine

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bentley
Melee only. No superspeed.

Fight in a sunflower garden.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Haha. I can't wait till Skrank reads that fight.

Tbh, I'm not sure. Logan penetrating Gladiator that easily suggests that he should tear him apart but at the same time, Gladiator seemed to have healed without any problem.

Bentley
Yeah, it was healing factorish, it wouldn't surprise me if he had some sort of healing power, but I don't recall any explicit mention of it.

leonidas
i think they fought for 6 days in a galactic guardians issue before glads finally broke one of his claws and was named the victor......

good stuff, that. no expression

-Pr-
Logan stabbed Gladiator? For reals?

Bentley
Originally posted by -Pr-
Logan stabbed Gladiator? For reals?

Yep, believe it or not Logan is at home.

Originally posted by leonidas
i think they fought for 6 days in a galactic guardians issue before glads finally broke one of his claws and was named the victor......

good stuff, that. no expression

Yeah, those comics were cool.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Bentley
Yep, believe it or not Logan is at home.

http://i.imgur.com/oBKHr.jpg

carver9
Lol...as for this fight, Wolverine dies. Just because he cut top tiers doesnt mean that he can beat them. That scene looked more CIS based anyways with them talking to each other in the air trying to reason with each other.

Wolverine cut Thor, Gladiator, WWH, Wonderman, Thanos, Colossus, Thing, he has cut some of the most durable beings in MU. Its pretty much non-debatable if he can't cut top tiers at all.

-Pr-
Originally posted by carver9
Lol...as for this fight, Wolverine dies. Just because he cut top tiers doesnt mean that he can beat them. That scene looked more CIS based anyways with them talking to each other in the air trying to reason with each other.

Wolverine cut Thor, Gladiator, WWH, Wonderman, Thanos, Colossus, Thing, he has cut some of the most durable beings in MU. Its pretty much non-debatable if he can't cut top tiers at all.

Stabbed =/= cut.

Also, he had an amp when he cut Colossus.

Lastly, try to ruin this for me with your excuses, and I'll hurt you. sneer

Cogito
When did this happen?

Bentley
Newest Annihilators mini.

carver9
Stabbed =/= cut.

Also, he had an amp when he cut Colossus.

Lastly, try to ruin this for me with your excuses, and I'll hurt you. sneer

Lol...Like I said, Wolverine claws has penetrated almost every top tier in Marvel. I said a long time ago that Wolvy could penetrate Gladiator along with anyone else that crossed his path. That still doesn't exempt the beat down he received in the past from Gladiator though.

They even states Gladiator shrugs everything off.

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/9534987/an-16.jpg.html

Glads and red Hulk were charging each other, ready for a fight...I wonder what happened.

-Pr-
Lol...Like I said, Wolverine claws has penetrated almost every top tier in Marvel. I said a long time ago that Wolvy could penetrate Gladiator along with anyone else that crossed his path. That still doesn't exempt the beat down he received in the past from Gladiator though.

They even states Gladiator shrugs everything off.

http://www.turboimagehost.com/p/9534987/an-16.jpg.html

Glads and red Hulk were charging each other, ready for a fight...I wonder what happened.

...I don't think you know what the word "penetrated" really means, which says a lot more than simply referring to a comic, y'know...

carver9
Close this.

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/481/13310139yn8.th.jpghttp://img392.imageshack.us/img392/7813/71649936ll9.th.jpg

carver9
...I don't think you know what the word "penetrated" really means, which says a lot more than simply referring to a comic, y'know...

Sigh*, stab, penetrate, all the same to me. Gladiator healed the wound in a panel. I'm not mad at the showing at all.

-Pr-
Sigh*, stab, penetrate, all the same to me. Gladiator healed the wound in a panel. I'm not mad at the showing at all.

Then why keep trying to make excuses for it? You mad, Carver?

carver9

If Bullseye stabbed him with a butter knife, yes, I would be mad but it was Wolverine claws...you know, the same claws that stabbed through Thanos and cut through Onslaught shields.

If anything, that comic was a good showing for him...he was walking through everyone.

srankmissingnin
With Gladiator's speed advantage neutralized Wolverine should come out winning in a pure melee exchange.

MF DELPH

This is excessive baiting, Pig.

Consider this a warning. Keep it on topic.

-Pr-
Originally posted by MF DELPH
This is excessive baiting, Pig.

Consider this a warning. Keep it on topic.

Quiet you, or I'll -insert stereotypical comment-

If Bullseye stabbed him with a butter knife, yes, I would be mad but it was Wolverine claws...you know, the same claws that stabbed through Thanos and cut through Onslaught shields.

If anything, that comic was a good showing for him...he was walking through everyone.

If you say so.

Rage.Of.Olympus

You're not? I figured since it indicates Thor has superior piercing durability, you'd be pissed.

carver9
Lol...I'm loving it.

JakeTheBank
Thor's Carv's favorite character.

no expression

carver9
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
You're not? I figured since it indicates Thor has superior piercing durability, you'd be pissed.

It really doesn't since Wolvy never attempted to stab Thor. Let's not go through this today Rage because I could easily bring up Wolvy shrugging off Thor attacks and handling him until Thor flew in the air and even then Wolverine tanked Thor lightning attack.

srankmissingnin

Or it confirms what everyone else already knew, that Wolverine only landed slashing glancing blows on Thor and that you are living in denial. cool

horrorwolf
Gladiator should easily render Wolverine unconscious within minutes.

Rage.Of.Olympus
It really doesn't since Wolvy never attempted to stab Thor. Let's not go through this today Rage because I could easily bring up Wolvy shrugging off Thor attacks and handling him until Thor flew in the air and even then Wolverine tanked Thor lightning attack.

There was a very similar scene where he jumped on Thor's back and stabbed downward. I'd wager the wounds were relatively shallow like most of the attacks were except the one near the rib area.

What attacks? Thor tossed him through the air a few feet away. Wolverine did no better than Thor in that battle. I'd also like to point out that the in the next issue when they reach the bar, all of Thor's wounds seemed to be healed.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Or it confirms what everyone else already knew, that Wolverine only landed slashing glancing blows on Thor and that you are living in denial. cool

Haha, you're one to talk. Tell me more about how Wolverine punched Thor in the back. You spun so much bullshit so you could hang on to the idea that every attack was a glancing blow except that particular spot that you must have been dizzy.

The comic made it pretty clear. Wolverine was doing minor damage because of the thickness of Thor's skin. This glancing blow nonsense is just that.

That rib area attack was an outlier, perhaps he hacked away at that particular spot more often than others, I'm not sure but you can't explain away all inconsistencies.

carver9
There was a very similar scene where he jumped on Thor's back and stabbed downward. I'd wager the wounds were relatively shallow like most of the attacks were except the one near the rib area.

What attacks? Thor tossed him through the air a few feet away. Wolverine did no better than Thor in that battle. I'd also like to point out that the in the next issue when they reach the bar, all of Thor's wounds seemed to be healed.

Wolverine never attempted a stab.

It took the entire team of annihilators to slow Gladiator down whereas Wolverine tooled Thor. Wolverine had to sneak attack Gladiator whereas he fought Thor upfront and personal and had Thor second guessing, calling Wolverine the most dangerous man on the planet.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Wolverine never attempted a stab.

It took the entire team of annihilators to slow Gladiator down whereas Wolverine dolled Thor. Wolverine had to sneak attack Gladiator whereas he fought Thor upfront and personal and had Thor second guessing, calling Wolverine the most dangerous man on the planet.

Then what was he doing when he jumped on Thor, trying to get a piggy back ride?

Annihilators? What? I think your anger at Thor being superior has gotten you confused. Wolverine tried sneak attacking Thor, except Thor's much tougher than Gladiator, so he didn't just impale him. Okay?

At the end of the day, I'll take Thor being slower than Wolverine over Gladiator struggling to wrestle Wolverine in the air every time.

srankmissingnin
Haha, you're one to talk. Tell me more about how Wolverine punched Thor in the back. You spun so much bullshit so you could hang on to the idea that every attack was a glancing blow except the one that you liked it was just silly.

The comic made it pretty clear. Wolverine was doing minor damage because of the thickness of his skin. This glancing blow nonsense is just that.

He didn't punch Thor in the back, he jumped on him. Every blow was a glancing blow, if it wasn't Thor would have had his head lobbed off in the initial exchange.

Do you find it strange that all previous and subsequent Wolverine appearances depicting his claws clashing with the durability of high level bricks confirms my interpretation of what happened? Or do you just feel that is a massive coincident? Either Thor had durability >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanos, Gladiator, Wonder Man and Count Nef or Wolverine only connecting with glancing blows... which is what was actually shown on panel.

janus77
He didn't punch Thor in the back, he jumped on him... yeah, from the back the long flowing blond hair might confuse Wolverine... mind you, the absence of a giant squirrel's tail should have put him off...

Rage.Of.Olympus
He didn't punch Thor in the back, he jumped on him. Every blow was a glancing blow, if it wasn't Thor would have had his head lobbed off in the initial exchange.

Do you find it strange that all previous and subsequent Wolverine appearances depicting his claws clashing with the durability of high level bricks confirms my interpretation of what happened? Or do you just feel that is a massive coincident? Either Thor had durability >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Thanos, Gladiator, Wonder Man and Count Nef or Wolverine only connecting with glancing blows... which is what was actually shown on panel.

Wolverine didn't just jump on Thor, he attempted to stab Thor. Hence the downward motion lines indicating a stabbing movement and Thor being in pain. Unfortunately, that would mean that he was only able to do minor damage, which most of the mini supports.

Haha, I honestly don't know why I even bother. Wolverine slashes Thor's face from a few away and it was a glancing blow? In Wolverine's mind, Creed's face was a mess while Thor only had paper cuts for a reason.

You've gotten into your head this idea that Logan should be able to easily cut through Thor and that every attack that says otherwise must have some explanation behind it even if nothing is suggested. It was spelled out for us in the comic, Wolverine was doing minor damage because of the thickness of Thor's skin.

Haha, do you really think that reasoning is going to work on me or prove you right within the context of this mini?

carver9
Then what was he doing when he jumped on Thor, trying to get a piggy back ride?

Annihilators? What? I think your anger at Thor being superior has gotten you confused. Wolverine tried sneak attacking Thor, except Thor's much tougher than Gladiator, so he didn't just impale him. Okay?

At the end of the day, I'll take Thor being slower than Wolverine over Gladiator struggling to wrestle Wolverine in the air every time.

He didn't stab at Thor and I meant to say it took the entire team of Avengers to slow Glads down whereas Wolverine soloed Thor and had the advantage.

Colossus-Big C
So colossus has some ridiculous level piercing durability

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee113/wolverinerespectthread/Wolverine_004_012.jpg

It took an amp to cut colossus

Rage.Of.Olympus
He didn't stab at Thor and I meant to say it took the entire team of Avengers to slow Glads down whereas Wolverine soloed Thor and had the advantage.

I'll ask you more time then, what exactly did he do there if not a stab?

Wolverine jumped on Thor's back from a vantage point with the intent to take him down, motion lines indicate an obvious stabbing movement, and Thor yells out in pain. It's pretty clear what happened, you don't have to like it or accept it, but denying what occurred is just silly.

Heh, Gladiator didn't do anything that Thor couldn't. For the record, Wolverine was handling Gladiator fine as well. There's no way that you can twist Gladiator being impaled then struggling with Logan in the air into something positive in comparison with Thor.

srankmissingnin
Wolverine didn't just jump on Thor, he attempted to stab Thor. Hence the downward motion lines indicating a stabbing movement and Thor being in pain. Haha, I honestly don't know why I even bother. Wolverine slashes Thor's face from a few away and it was a glancing blow? In Wolverine's mind, Creed's face was a mess while Thor only had paper cuts for a reason.

You've gotten into your head this idea that Logan should be able to easily cut through Thor and that every attack that says otherwise is wrong. It was spelled out for us in the comic, Wolverine was doing minor damage because of the thickness of Thor's skin. Get over it.

Haha, do you really think that reasoning is going to work on me or prove you right?

Wolverine didn't attempt to stab Thor, his claws were sheathed. Look at the panel. Imagine where Wolverine's fists would be on the picture. Then imagine there was twelve inch claws attached for them. There is no room for Wolverine's claws to be extended, if they were they would have been protruding through Thor's chest. Also the very next panel, the one which depicts Thor spinning and knock Wolverine off of himself immediately after the panel you are citing, shows Wolverine and his claws are very clearly retracted. Why did Thor grunt when Wolverine jumped on him? I don't know... maybe because he had painful lacerations across his obliques? All the motion lines indicate is that he brought his arms down, which makes sense since the were likely elevated when he jumped.

Yeah thick sink is a huge boon, especially when your opponent is only landing glancing blows.

JakeTheBank
If he didn't stab Thor, why would he even bother punching him? That's stupid as hell and doesn't even make sense considering Logan was trying to really mess up "Victor". Furthermore, if he did in fact punch Thor upon jumping him, Thor acknowledging his strike is PIS of the highest order.

Either he stabbed Thor and the claws didn't go in deep enough to obviously be fatal or close to it.

Or he punched Thor and Thor sold the punch, which is PIS considering whose punches have failed to really effect him.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Wolverine didn't attempt to stab Thor, his claws were sheathed. Look at the panel. Imagine where Wolverine's fists would be on the picture. Then imagine there was twelve inch claws attached for them. There is no room for Wolverine's claws to be extended, if they were they would have been protruding through Thor's chest.

Why the hell would his claws be sheathed in such a position? And why would Thor be in such pain if they were? Everything from what we've seen would indicate an attempt to stab Thor, for Odin's sake, he tried the exact same thing a few pages ago.

Are you really going to play a silly angle game with me here? My god, you really desperate for anything aren't you? Okay, ignoring the comic being a comic, Wolverine's claws couldn't be seen because Thor's back was arched.

Also the very next panel, the one which depicts Thor spinning and knock Wolverine off of himself immediately after the panel you are citing, shows Wolverine and his claws are very clearly retracted.

This argument is destroyed by Wolverine's claws being sheathed in the previous page despite them being out when his feet were on the ground.

Why did Thor grunt when Wolverine jumped on him? I don't know... maybe because he had painful lacerations across his obliques?

More desperate attempts to ignore what's very clear. Thor didn't grunt, he yelled out in pain. The lacerations on the side were deeper than the others but they weren't that bad. Especially for someone like Thor.

Yeah thick sink is a huge boon, especially when your opponent is only landing glancing blows.

Lawlz. I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept the obvious. Wolverine having trouble cutting Thor was a result of his thick skin, it's obviously the intent.

I know the fact that the fact that Thor can withstand Wolverine's claws even in such a horrible portrayal scares the shit out of you but you need to get over it.

srankmissingnin
He didn't bother punching him. He jumped onto a flying opponent and tried to grab onto him and was promptly knocked off. Thor made a grunting noise. Big deal. He had lacerations in his side, it's painful.

Rage.Of.Olympus
He didn't bother punching him. He jumped onto a flying opponent and tried to grab onto him and was promptly knocked off. Thor made a grunting noise. Big deal. He had lacerations in his side, it's painful.

How can anyone possibly think that Wolverine simply tried to grab on to Thor in this scene?

http://thumbnails22.imagebam.com/5369/1cd46e53688940.gif

We even have the motion lines of his claws indicating a stabbing movement.

Bentley
Damn! Foiled Again!

carver9
Doesn't look like a stab to me.

Rage.Of.Olympus
What does it look like to you Carver?

JakeTheBank
Doesn't look like a stab to me.

It's a stab or Logan's bare knuckle fists are strong enough to make Thor go "ARRGHH!"

One of those is likely and makes sense given the entire "fight" up to that point. One of those is PIS and doesn't make sense considering the blows Thor's tanked without being in pain, much less registering them.

carver9
What does it look like to you Carver?

I don't know what it is but there is no indication that it was his claws...especially when we see Wolverine on the ground the next panel without his claws out.

Bentley
I don't know what it is but there is no indication that it was his claws...especially when we see Wolverine on the ground the next panel without his claws out.

Dude, when have you seen a two handed straight punch?

carver9

When Rage posted that scan.

Rage.Of.Olympus

Of course yo don't.

So Wolverine jumps on Thor's (Sabertooth in his mind) back, and performs a downward stabbing motion but forgets to unsheathe his claws? Keep in mind that his initial attack was an attempt to stab Thor from above by surprise.

That argument is destroyed by the previous page. Thor strikes the ground and Wolverine's claws are sheathed in the next panel when he's thrown into the air.

Bentley
haha, that Wolverine can't decide whether to get those claws out or in. The drawing is quite good but the positions and panel narration is all wrong.

srankmissingnin
Why the hell would his claws be sheathed in such a position? And why would Thor be in such pain if they were? Everything from what we've seen would indicate an attempt to stab Thor, for Odin's sake, he tried the exact same thing a few pages ago.

Because when riding a flying person getting a hand hold is good idea? Because he had lacerations across his obliques? Nothing their indicates he was attempting to do anything other then jump on Thor's back. There isn't even any room in the panel that would allow for the possibility that Wolverine's claws were unsheathed and he was attempting to stab Thor "for Odin's sake".

Are you really going to play a silly angle game with me here? My god, you really desperate for anything aren't you? Okay, ignoring the comic being a comic, Wolverine's claws couldn't be seen because Thor's back was arched.

Do some drawing through in your head like any amateur artist would when planning the panel layout. There is no room in that panel for Wolverine's claws to be unsheathed relative to the placement of where his hands would be and where Thor's body is. If where Thor arching his back in any significant way (which he isn't as evident by the placement of his waist and torso), Wolverine would be at the top part of the "U" shape and it would make it easier to see his claws, not harder.

This argument is destroyed by Wolverine's claws being sheathed in the previous page despite them being out when his feet were on the ground.

What? Wolverine's claws are retracted in the panel before he jumped on Thor, and the panel after he jumped on Thor. He sheathed after Thor smashed the ground and created a shock wave, but that doesn't help your twisted account of events in the slightest.

More desperate attempts to ignore what's very clear. Thor didn't grunt, he yelled out in pain. The lacerations on the side were deeper than the others but they weren't that bad. Especially for someone like Thor.

He said "arghhh." That's a grunt. Arghhh, dude. You reach so hard you should change your screen name to Plastic Man.

Lawlz. I don't know why it's so hard for you to accept the obvious.

Wolverine having trouble cutting Thor was a result of his thick skin, it's obviously the intent, why do you have so much trouble accepting it?

Wolverine had difficulty cutting Thor because he only ever landed glancing blows. If (and to be clear it wasn't) it was the writers intent that Wolverine was having trouble cutting Thor because of his durability that would have been PIS, because Wolverine has an entire career of cutting people with Thor level and higher durability with minimal effort.

JakeTheBank
It doesn't make sense for Wolverine to jump on "Sabertooth"'s back and punch him in such an awkward manner when he explicitly stated he more or less wanted to kill him again. Hell, Logan would know stabbing Sabes like that wouldn't kill him anyway, so he really had no reason not to use his claws.

It's the only thing that makes sense.

srankmissingnin

Jinzin posted Wolverine doing it against Sabretooth the last time this argument came up IIRC.

carver9
Of course yo don't.

So Wolverine jumps on Thor's (Sabertooth in his mind) back, and performs a downward stabbing motion but forgets to unsheathe his claws? Keep in mind that his initial attack was an attempt to stab Thor from above by surprise.

That argument is destroyed by the previous page. Thor strikes the ground and Wolverine's claws are sheathed in the next panel when he's thrown into the air.

Looks like Thor was fighting the fight of his life. Gladiator 2 paneled Wolverine before.

Bentley
Jinzin posted Wolverine doing it against Sabretooth the last time this argument came up IIRC.

Well, I have to give you some credit, you research those arguments big grin

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
It doesn't make sense for Wolverine to jump on "Sabertooth"'s back and punch him in such an awkward manner when he explicitly stated he more or less wanted to kill him again. Hell, Logan would know stabbing Sabes like that wouldn't kill him anyway, so he really had no reason not to use his claws.

He didn't jump on "Sabretooth's" back and punch him in a awkward manner. He jumped on his back. Period. There was no punching. Wolverine jumped on Thor's back, Thor spun and knocked him off.

carver9

It doesn't make sense for Wolverine to jump on Spiderman punching him in the face or punching at Namor when he could have stabbed him in the head...etc, etc...it happens.

JakeTheBank
He didn't jump on "Sabretooth's" back and punch him in a awkward manner. He jumped on his back. Period. There was no punching. Wolverine jumped on Thor's back, Thor spun and knocked him off.

That's even more PIS fueled than a punch causing Thor to yell out in pain.

JakeTheBank
It doesn't make sense for Wolverine to jump on Spiderman punching him in the face or punching at Namor when he could have stabbed him in the head...etc, etc...it happens.

Because Logan doesn't try to outright kill Spidey and Namor when they fight usually?

Sabertooth is another story, especially when Logan is being trolled by Loki's sorcery and wants to explicitly kill him again.

leonidas
If he didn't stab Thor, why would he even bother punching him? That's stupid as hell and doesn't even make sense considering Logan was trying to really mess up "Victor". Furthermore, if he did in fact punch Thor upon jumping him, Thor acknowledging his strike is PIS of the highest order.

Either he stabbed Thor and the claws didn't go in deep enough to obviously be fatal or close to it.

Or he punched Thor and Thor sold the punch, which is PIS considering whose punches have failed to really effect him.

there IS a middle ground, of course. logan can and has controlled the AMOUNT of claw he has released in the past. perhaps he stabbed him with his claws only partially extended....? shrug

i only bring it up because neither rage's nor srank's explanations seem to be very good imo. full claws should have done more damage imo. and it makes no sense to think he just.... punched him in the back.

personally, i think the whole scene was just stupid and i put no stock in it at all, either way.

JakeTheBank
there IS a middle ground, of course. logan can and has controlled the AMOUNT of claw he has released in the past. perhaps he stabbed him with his claws only partially extended....? shrug

i only bring it up because neither rage's nor srank's explanations seem to be very good imo. full claws should have done more damage imo. and it makes no sense to think he just.... punched him in the back.

personally, i think the whole scene was just stupid and i put no stock in it at all, either way.

That makes more sense, but unless Thor dismounted Logan before the claws could extend fully, it doesn't make much sense for Logan to only partially attempt to stab "Sabertooth" given the context of the fight.

And if it was the sheer landing that caused Thor pain, well, it's epic PIS and doesn't matter anyway.

The whole story was stupid and required massive levels of jobbing.

cdtm

That's essentially what the "didn't use his claws" side is arguing anyways..

Wolverine isn't strong enough to hurt Thor with his bare hands. If that's what he did, it should be disregarded on the grounds of SMvFL..

srankmissingnin
That's even more PIS fueled than a punch causing Thor to yell out in pain.

He said arghhh dude. If that is crying out in pain I guess if let out death throes when I stubbed my toe. He had lacerations on his sides. Wolverine jumped on him, and the previously existing lacerations were agitated. He made a grunting noise.

leonidas
That makes more sense, but unless Thor dismounted Logan before the claws could extend fully, it doesn't make much sense for Logan to only partially attempt to stab "Sabertooth" given the context of the fight.

fair enuff. so i resort again to this:

no expression

JakeTheBank
He said arghhh dude. If that is crying out in pain I guess if let out death throes when I stubbed my toe. He had lacerations on his sides. Wolverine jumped on him, and the previously existing lacerations were agitated. He made a grunting noise.

He said "ARGHHH!"

Clearly, it was intended to denote pain. They could have easily just had him wince or use something a little less subtle like "Hrnn" or "Nggg" or any other grunt FX comics have graced us with.

Rage.Of.Olympus

srankmissingnin
He said "ARGHHH!"

Clearly, it was intended to denote pain. They could have easily just had him wince or use something a little less subtle like "Hrnn" or "Nggg" or any other grunt FX comics have graced us with.

Say the word aloud right now. Arghhh. Three h's. It's a grunt.

You can stretch almost as well as Rage, you most be Elongatedman. cool

OneDumbG0

i only bring it up because neither rage's nor srank's explanations seem to be very good imo. full claws should have done more damage imo. and it makes no sense to think he just.... punched him in the back. Did you just invoke the Thanos supporters' argument that Wolverine only partially extended his claws into Thanos' chest during Infinity Gauntlet? crackers Kill yourself, leonidas.

For my part, awkward art aside, I always thought Wolverine just raked his claws down Thor's back from the over-to-downward arching motion lines. In any event, Wolverine's "full claws" kitty-scratched Thor's face. I don't see any reason to assume he should have done more damage whether it's a stab or a swipe.

On-topic: I agree with carver9, Gladiator kicks the crap out of Wolverine.

JakeTheBank
Say the word aloud right now. Arghhh. Three h's. It's a grunt.

You can stretch almost as well as Rage, you most be Elongatedman. cool

The exclamation point and the art makes it clear it wasn't just a grunt.

Yeah, I must be Elongated Man. Though it doesn't take his detective skills to realize you're spinning this entirely out of context.

leonidas
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
Did you just invoke the Thanos supporters' argument that Wolverine only partially extended his claws into Thanos' chest during Infinity Gauntlet? crackers Kill yourself, leonidas.

For my part, awkward art aside, I always thought Wolverine just raked his claws down Thor's back from the over-to-downward arching motion lines. In any event, Wolverine's "full claws" kitty-scratched Thor's face. I don't see any reason to assume he should have done more damage whether it's a stab or a swipe.

On-topic: I agree with carver9, Gladiator kicks the crap out of Wolverine.

more importantly my good man--did YOU just agree with carver9???

i'll load the gun with 2 bullets. no expression

leonidas
oh, and as for the fight--i agree with odg. crackers

srankmissingnin
The exclamation point and the art makes it clear it wasn't just a grunt.

Yeah, I must be Elongated Man. Though it doesn't take his detective skills to realize you're spinning this entirely out of context.

His eyes are shut and his mouth is sort of open. There is nothing in the art nor the narrative that expresses it was anything more then a grunt.... because it was grunt.

Rage.Of.Olympus
This delving into ridiculousness imo. The next step is to observe his facial expression or something.

I think the scene is pretty clear, Wolverine jumped on Thor's back and tried to stab him. If not, he might have done what ODG suggested but either way it's obvious that his claws were used.

Skrank's argument that Logan tried to only grab onto Thor is easily one of the stupidest things I've read this year.

Bentley
You need to read Quanchi vs Carver then.

srankmissingnin

Parmaniac
I like to point out how stupid it was of Wolverine to climb up that tree.

Silent Master
The Wolverine side appears to be arguing that the fight was PIS, does that mean that they'll stop using it as proof?

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Silent Master
The Wolverine side appears to be arguing that the fight was PIS, does that mean that they'll stop using it as proof?

Rage's interpretation of the fight would be PIS if it was what actually happened, luckily it isn't. What did happen is Wolverine landed a few glancing blows and still managed to cause damage to Thor, had Logan connected cleanly we all know what would have happened (see: Annihilators: Earthfall 02).

Silent Master
Post the scans or quotes that state they were only glancing blows.

-K-M-

9VX4D_9GMBg

OneDumbG0
more importantly my good man--did YOU just agree with carver9???

i'll load the gun with 2 bullets. no expression Originally posted by leonidas
oh, and as for the fight--i agree with odg. crackers Your unintentional humor is humorous.

The last 3 pages have been retarded. Gladiator would beat Wolverine.

srankmissingnin
In melee combat Wolverine beats any and everyone in melee who lacks the speed to avoid him, the durability to turn his claws, or a healing factor fast enough to compensate for the damage. Gladiator has none of those things in this scenario. cool

Silent Master
Gladiator is strong enough to punch Logan into orbit.

Bentley
In melee combat Wolverine beats any and everyone in melee who lacks the speed to avoid him, the durability to turn his claws, or a healing factor fast enough to compensate for the damage. Gladiator has none of those things in this scenario. cool

You always keep forgetting being a much better fighter than Logan and punching him into orbit stick out tongue

srankmissingnin
You always keep forgetting being a much better fighter than Logan and punching him into orbit stick out tongue

Not forgetting anything. In this scenario Wolverine has the speed, skill and reach advantage. He is more likely to land a potentially fatal blow then Gladiator is of knocking him into orbit.

OneDumbG0
In melee combat Wolverine beats any and everyone in melee who lacks the speed to avoid him, the durability to turn his claws, or a healing factor fast enough to compensate for the damage. Gladiator has none of those things in this scenario. Which was Frankencastle again?

Bentley
Not forgetting anything. In this scenario Wolverine has the speed, skill and reach advantage. He is more likely to land a potentially fatal blow then Gladiator is of knocking him into orbit.

I'm not talking about this matchup in particular, I was addressing the general rule you stated earlier wink

srankmissingnin
Which was Frankencastle again?

PIS, we don't acknowledge that here. Read the rules.

Silent Master

No superspeed means that they both have human level speed, so no...Wolverine doesn't have a speed edge.

Silent Master
PIS, we don't acknowledge that here. Read the rules.

Like Wolverine lasting more than 3 seconds against some that can fly and has ranged attacks?

Bentley
I'd assume that anyone skilled enough that can resist a few swipes and has enough strength to make Logan lose balance could take a few wins out of him. In Frankencastle's case he was simply good at not suffering from damage as a fully living person would, helping him to get through the swipes that would incapacitate other characters.

srankmissingnin
Like Wolverine lasting more than 3 seconds against some that can fly and has ranged attacks?

That is CIS, we do acknowledge that. cool

OneDumbG0
In melee combat Wolverine beats any and everyone in melee who lacks the speed to avoid him, the durability to turn his claws, or a healing factor fast enough to compensate for the damage. Gladiator has none of those things in this scenario. cool Which was Victor Hudson again?

srankmissingnin
I'm not talking about this matchup in particular, I was addressing the general rule you stated earlier wink

In that case no character has a sizable skill advantage over Wolverine, and yet not a speed advantage, so it doesn't really seem like something that needs to be amended into the rule. Plus they would need to be strong enough to punch him into orbit... who did you have in mind?

Sundipped
Melee only. No superspeed.

Fight in a sunflower garden.

Sunflower garden?? What the f**k?

So basically this would be similar to a Hulk vs. Logan battle except Glads still has flight capabilities. All he has to do is grab Logan and fly into space.

srankmissingnin
Which was Victor Hudson again?

Stop trying to low ball Wolverine with Wayverine PIS.

OneDumbG0
In melee combat Wolverine beats any and everyone in melee who lacks the speed to avoid him, the durability to turn his claws, or a healing factor fast enough to compensate for the damage. Gladiator has none of those things in this scenario. cool Which was Daredevil again?

Bentley
Which was Daredevil again?

Faster. Duh.

OneDumbG0
^ mmm

mhmm

Ok... I can concede that much. thumb up

srankmissingnin
Which was Daredevil again?

Garth Ennis? Come on dude. PIS.

OneDumbG0
Not forgetting anything. In this scenario Wolverine has the speed, skill and reach advantage. He is more likely to land a potentially fatal blow then Gladiator is of knocking him into orbit. Which was Mr. X again?

srankmissingnin
Which was Mr. X again?

Worf Effect, and PIS.

Bentley
Which was Mr. X again?

Can't be speed, because IF kicked the crap out of that guy. Healing factor maybe?

OneDumbG0
^ Mr. X has no healing factor. He didn't need one anyway since he wasn't touched once when he beat down Wolverine with his bare hands. Originally posted by srankmissingnin
In melee combat Wolverine beats any and everyone in melee who lacks the speed to avoid him, the durability to turn his claws, or a healing factor fast enough to compensate for the damage. Gladiator has none of those things in this scenario. cool Which was Wonderman again?

leonidas
Your unintentional humor is humorous.

unintentional? you mean because in agreeing with you i agreed with carver? and you thought that was unintentional? sigh.... and i thought you got me. sad

pretty much the whole thread falls into that category.

Bentley
So I guess we should add precog -Mr. X and Midnighter, who would totally kick Logan's butt-, and sheer awesomeness -Simon-.

srankmissingnin
Can't be speed, because IF kicked the crap out of that guy. Healing factor maybe?

IF hit him once and ran away, X was fine.

srankmissingnin
^ Mr. X has no healing factor. He didn't need one anyway since he wasn't touched once when he beat down Wolverine with his bare hands. Which was Wonderman again?

Wonderman was a super speed ambush, and he failed to put Wolverine down. Nice work though, it only took you four tries to come up with a non PIS example. Impressive.

Bentley
IF hit him once and ran away, X was fine.

I was playing through that comment big grin

But I seriously think there are a few situations in which Logan can be bested outside the ones you mentioned. I agree that James is at his best against that kind of opponent though.

I would probably add precog, more skill -which seems as if it was speed, but it really isn't- and the ability to deal with Logan and keeping damage to a minimum -this last might fetch Wolverine some wins-. But your statement is more or less accurate to most of Logan's matchs.

OneDumbG0
^ Kang-level phail. Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Wonderman was a super speed ambush, and he failed to put Wolverine down. Nice work though, it only took you four tries to come up with a non PIS example. Impressive. That qualifying as superspeed blitz for you made me laff. Originally posted by Bentley
So I guess we should add precog -Mr. X and Midnighter, who would totally kick Logan's butt-, and sheer awesomeness -Simon-. I suppose Ulik qualifies under sheer awesomeness too.

srankmissingnin
I was playing through that comment big grin

But I seriously think there are a few situations in which Logan can be bested outside the ones you mentioned. I agree that James is at his best against that kind of opponent though.

I would probably add precog, more skill -which seems as if it was speed, but it really isn't- and the ability to deal with Logan and keeping damage to a minimum -this last might fetch Wolverine some wins-. But your statement is more or less accurate to most of Logan's matchs.

I don't think pre-cog is enough in and of itself to a net a victory over Wolverine. It would have to be paired up with one of the abilities I initially mentioned or Wolverine would win through attrition. Same with skill more or less, out side of some rare cases like maybe Sensei Ping and the Wu-Han thumb of death.

Bentley
I suppose Ulik qualifies under sheer awesomeness too.

Well, Ulik is pretty awesome eek!

^ Kang-level phail.

So no fail at all? ahah

Bentley
I don't think pre-cog is enough in and of itself to a net a victory over Wolverine. It would have to be paired up with one of the abilities I initially mentioned or Wolverine would win through attrition. Same with skill more or less, out side of some rare cases like maybe Sensei Ping and the Wu-Han thumb of death.

Yeah, you'd need a minimum of speed, but it would save you from needing to be "faster than Logan" per se.

srankmissingnin
^ Kang-level phail. That qualifying as superspeed blitz for you made me laff. I suppose Ulik qualifies under sheer awesomeness too.

It was a super speed ambush.

Do you have any more Wolverine feats you'd like to cite that are the equivalent of the Vietcong koing Thor with artillery fire are have you finished embarrassing yourself?

OneDumbG0
^ I'm sure Captain America Jr. from the future used a superspeed blitz to lay Wolverine out also. Originally posted by Bentley
Well, Ulik is pretty awesome eek! So is a weakened Iron Fist.

Nihilist
Logan Carvers up this fake Superman.

srankmissingnin
^ I'm sure Captain America Jr. from the future used a superspeed blitz to lay Wolverine out also. So is a weakened Iron Fist.

He used PIS.

Silent Master
Wonderman was a super speed ambush, and he failed to put Wolverine down. Nice work though, it only took you four tries to come up with a non PIS example. Impressive.

Simon only "failed" because Maxam interrupted the massive one-sided beatdown.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Nihilist
Logan Carvers up this fake Superman. Because Wolverine pierced Gladiator's shoulder once in an ambush? I guess Wolverine takes down Thanos in a straight melee fight also because he pierced his chest in an ambush.

I'm glad anybody who thinks Wolverine wins against Gladiator buys into penetrability w/o superspeed or healing = auto-win for Wolverine in H2H.

Nihilist
Because Wolverine pierced Gladiator's shoulder once in an ambush? I guess Wolverine takes down Thanos in a straight melee fight also because he pierced his chest in an ambush.

I'm glad anybody who thinks Wolverine wins against Gladiator buys into penetrability w/o superspeed or healing = auto-win for Wolverine in H2H. laughing out loud Who gives a shit what you think he does to Thanos as he aint in this Thread.

srankmissingnin
Because Wolverine pierced Gladiator's shoulder once in an ambush? I guess Wolverine takes down Thanos in a straight melee fight also because he pierced his chest in an ambush.

I'm glad anybody who thinks Wolverine wins against Gladiator buys into penetrability w/o superspeed or healing = auto-win for Wolverine in H2H.

There are two versions of yourself fighting. One has super strength, and the other has the skills of Anderson Silva and foot long blades surgically grafted to his hands. You think the super strong version is going to win? Really?

OneDumbG0
There are two versions of yourself fighting. One has super strength, and the other has the skills of Anderson Silva and foot long blades surgically grafted to his hands. You think the super strong version is going to win? Really? If one is capable of wrecking a planet with three punches, yes. So long as I don't want to be a phucking retard.

But, yea, whatever, Wolverine beats Thanos in a melee fight with his snikty-snikts. Originally posted by Nihilist
laughing out loud Who gives a shit what you think he does to Thanos as he aint in this Thread. Clearly not you as you seem to have no issue with it. Penetrability w/o superspeed/healing = Wolverine auto-win in melee. I get it. Wolverine stabbed Thanos once. He somehow beats the Titan.

srankmissingnin
If one is capable of wrecking a planet with three punches, yes. So long as I don't want to be a phucking retard.

But, yea, whatever, Wolverine beats Thanos in a melee fight with his snikty-snikts.

The strength is irrelevant until he connects, and the other fighter has a much higher probability of avoiding attacks, landing attacks, and finishing the fight with a single blow. Simple.

Thanos had both true invulnerability at the time of his last apparent death as well as a healing factor provided someone could actually damage him.

Silent Master
So, your argument is that Gladiator will never land a single hit on Wolverine?

Mindset
You'll have to forgive srank, he's retarded.

http://unrealitymag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/carl-weathers-2.jpg

Nihilist
If one is capable of wrecking a planet with three punches, yes. So long as I don't want to be a phucking retard.

But, yea, whatever, Wolverine beats Thanos in a melee fight with his snikty-snikts. Clearly not you as you seem to have no issue with it. Penetrability w/o superspeed/healing = Wolverine auto-win in melee. I get it. Wolverine stabbed Thanos once. He somehow beats the Titan. Whatever makes you feel better, make the thread if it acts as soothing cream for that butthurt you seem to be suffering from for some reason smile

OneDumbG0
^ Nice heel-turn. You're totally beng graceful about how you ended up endorsing Wolverine beating your boy in a melee fight and not randomly deflecting at all. Originally posted by srankmissingnin
The strength is irrelevant until he connects, and the other fighter has a much higher probability of avoiding attacks, landing attacks, and finishing the fight with a single blow. Simple.

Thanos had both true invulnerability at the time of his last apparent death as well as a healing factor provided someone could actually damage him. Right, a version of me with a sword has a great advantage over a version of me that throws mountains around.

Of course, you haven't backed away from my poking at all and now you can prepare yourself for the inevitability of having to argue that Wolverine beats a pre-Annihilation Thanos in a melee fight because that version of Thanos got stabbed in an ambush.

Everybody ready for the hilarity? Painful as it might be to watch? I certainly am after 6 pages of people trying to convince me Wolverine beats Gladiator.

srankmissingnin
So, your argument is that Gladiator will never land a single hit on Wolverine?

The argument is that Wolverine will connect with a higher percentage of punches he throws, avoid a higher percentage of punches his opponent throws, that his attacks will have a much higher probability of ending the fight instantly, and he can take an attack from his opponent better the alternative. In this scenario Wolverine has better damage soak, more effective offensive capabilities, range / skill advantages and a much higher critical strike chance. Gladiator could potentially BFR him, but Wolverine is more likely to drop him before that happens.

Silent Master
The argument is that Wolverine will connect with a higher percentage of punches he throws, avoid a higher percentage of punches his opponent throws, that his attacks will have a much higher probability of ending the fight instantly, and he can take an attack from his opponent better the alternative. In this scenario Wolverine has better damage soak, more effective offensive capabilities, range / skill advantages and a much higher critical strike chance. Gladiator could potentially BFR him, but Wolverine is more likely to drop him before that happens.

As Gladiator is strong enough to punch Wolverine into orbit..he only needs to land 1 punch. Therefore if you think that Wolverine wins, you must think that Gladiator will never land a single hit.

OneDumbG0
The argument is that Wolverine will connect with a higher percentage of punches he throws, avoid a higher percentage of punches his opponent throws, that his attacks will have a much higher probability of ending the fight instantly, and he can take an attack from his opponent better the alternative. In this scenario Wolverine has better damage soak, more effective offensive capabilities, range / skill advantages and a much higher critical strike chance. Gladiator could potentially BFR him, but Wolverine is more likely to drop him before that happens. Like he dropped the Wrecker in New Avengers- ... oh, wait. Wrecker BFR'ed him twice over. Never mind.

I guess Wrecker superspeed blitzed Wolverine somehow.

srankmissingnin
Right, a version of me with a sword has a great advantage over a version of me that throws mountains around.

Of course, you haven't backed away from my poking at all and now you can prepare yourself for the inevitability of having to argue that Wolverine beats a pre-Annihilation Thanos in a melee fight because that version of Thanos got stabbed in an ambush.

Everybody ready for the hilarity? Painful as it might be to watch? I certainly am after 6 pages of people trying to convince me Wolverine beats Gladiator.

I know strength is much easier to quantify for the simple mind, but what do you imagine the version of you with a sword is doing in this melee scenario while the super-strong version of you is trying to lift a mountain? Eating Cheetos? Imagine rock - paper - scissors... only in this version it is an breakable self regenerating scissors who cuts rock as easily as it does paper. The math isn't hard to work out. Wolverine wins.

That version of Thanos still had a powerful healing factor, and molecular control over his body.

OneDumbG0
I know strength is much easier to quantify for the simple mind, but what do you imagine the version of you with a sword is doing in this melee scenario while the super-strong version of you is trying to lift a mountain? Eating Cheetos? Imagine rock - paper - scissors... only in this version it is an breakable self regenerating scissors who cuts rock as easily as it does paper. The math isn't hard to work out. Wolverine wins. Wolverithmetics Rule #108: No matter how strong you are, even when you can destroy planets with your bare hands, you will lose to foot-long claws. Originally posted by srankmissingnin
That version of Thanos still had a powerful healing factor, and molecular control over his body. No, he didn't. And no, he doesn't. But go ahead and strip these imaginary/irrelevant powers from him anyway and prove to me how Wolverine kills Thanos in melee.

srankmissingnin
Like he dropped the Wrecker in New Avengers- ... oh, wait. Wrecker BFR'ed him twice over. Never mind.

I guess Wrecker superspeed blitzed Wolverine somehow.

Did the Wrecker beat Wolverine? No. He knocked him down the street a few times and Wolverine was off his game from Spider-woman's pheromones.

wildernesss
gladiator has already demonstrated the inability to KO logan with his superspeed; without it, wouldn't it stand to reason that logan would fair even better?

OneDumbG0
Did the Wrecker beat Wolverine? No. He knocked him down the street a few times and Wolverine was off his game from Spider-woman's pheromones. Did Wolverine kill him before being BFR'ed twice? No. But I forgot, in between the panels, Wrecker superspeed blitzed him like Wonderman did.

Silent Master
Gladiator wins.

Silent Master
Originally posted by wildernesss
gladiator has already demonstrated the inability to KO logan with his superspeed; without it, wouldn't it stand to reason that logan would fair even better?

Who wins?

srankmissingnin
Did Wolverine kill him before being BFR'ed twice? No. But I forgot, in between the panels, Wrecker superspeed blitzed him like Wonderman did.

It's only a BFR he can't return under his own powers. He wasn't BFR'd a single time in that fight, he was off his game because of Spider-woman, and unlike a forum match he wasn't blood lusted and actively working for a kill.

wildernesss
Who wins?

brawling gladiator without superspeed is essentially a thor without his hammer; logan was severely wounding thor, demonstrated greater reflexes & combat speed than thor, & was on the verge of defeating thor WITH his hammer.

I'd say the outcome of this fight is inconclusive; however, I think that fight with thor speaks for itself.

psycho gundam
I don't know what it is but there is no indication that it was his claws...especially when we see Wolverine on the ground the next panel without his claws out. seriously, this is retarded

srankmissingnin
As Gladiator is strong enough to punch Wolverine into orbit..he only needs to land 1 punch. Therefore if you think that Wolverine wins, you must think that Gladiator will never land a single hit.

You are aware that not every attack Gladiator lands will have the potential to knock Wolverine up into space? And that as Wolverine is 5'3 the majority of Gladiator's attacks will be comic at a downwards angle?

Silent Master
brawling gladiator without superspeed is essentially a thor with his hammer; logan was severely wounding thor, demonstrated greater reflexes & combat speed than thor, & was on the verge of defeating thor
WITH his hammer.

I'd say the outcome of this fight is inconclusive; however, I think that fight with thor speaks for itself.

Ok, your fanfiction aside...how is this fight inconclusive?

You are aware that not every attack Gladiator lands will have the potential to knock Wolverine up into space? And that as Wolverine is 5'3 the majority of Gladiator's attacks will be comic at a downwards angle?

So Gladiator punches him into the center of the planet, like he did to Simon?

Mindset
You are aware that not every attack Gladiator lands will have the potential to knock Wolverine up into space? And that as Wolverine is 5'3 the majority of Gladiator's attacks will be comic at a downwards angle? So he punches Logan into Earth's core.

srankmissingnin
brawling gladiator without superspeed is essentially a thor without his hammer; logan was severely wounding thor, demonstrated greater reflexes & combat speed than thor, & was on the verge of defeating thor WITH his hammer.

Or more accurately Hulk minus his healing factor. If Hulk's healing factor was nonexistent during his fights with Wolverine, he'd be dead, that is what Gladiator is in for.

wildernesss
Ok, your fanfiction aside...how is this fight inconclusive?

that story was canon. this fight is inconclusive because there are an overwhelming number of feats to suggest it could go either way. especially with superspeed turned off.

carver9
I can't believe this is still open. Wolverine can not handle hits from Glads. This has been demonstrated on panel.

OneDumbG0
^ A Thanos vs. Wolverine and Sabretooth in H2H thread was never closed: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=549280&pagenumber=1

Somehow, srankmissingnin is going to explain to us how these fights aren't spite. Originally posted by srankmissingnin
It's only a BFR he can't return under his own powers. He wasn't BFR'd a single time in that fight, he was off his game because of Spider-woman, and unlike a forum match he wasn't blood lusted and actively working for a kill. Because Wolverine hoofing it over minutes later while Spider Woman talks Wrecker down isn't a BFR.

But maybe it's not clear to me, tell me again how Thanos loses to Wolverine in a no powers melee fight?

Nihilist
Originally posted by psycho gundam
seriously, this is retarded Hmm. seems i may have misjudged you calling you Carver lvl.

Mindset
I can't believe this is still open. Wolverine can not handle hits from Glads. This has been demonstrated on panel. And there you have it, case closed.

Silent Master
that story was canon. this fight is inconclusive because there are an overwhelming number of feats to suggest it could go either way. especially with superspeed turned off.

Your version of the fight is fanfiction, List some examples of these "overwhelming number of feats" that suggest it could go either way.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>