Current Thanos takes on 10 Green Lanterns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

golem370
Alright can Thanos beat 10 Lanterns? No bfr

Green Lantern(Kyle)
Green Lantern(Hal)
Green Lantern(Stewert)
Green Lantern(Kilowog)
Green Lantern(Gardner)
+ 5 no name Lanterns.

quanchi112
Yes he can.

Bentley
If only there wasn't Kyle...

nimbus006
I'm not exactly sure where current Thanos power level is at the moment.

However, I don't believe Pre-Annihilation Thanos could do it.

Those are some of the best Lanterns in the Corps.

JakeTheBank
Good thing you didn't add Alan Scott or otherwise it'd be a massive stomp.

golem370
For Thanos eek!

Prep-Man
Lanterns.

Nihilist
Current Thanos stomps, they csnt do jack shit to him.

Blight
What exactly amped Thanos to the power of taking down 10 lanterns? No Thanos I read gave me that implication.

Nihilist
Originally posted by Blight
What exactly amped Thanos to the power of taking down 10 lanterns? No Thanos I read gave me that implication. Did you read Thanos imperative?

Blight
Originally posted by Nihilist
Did you read Thanos imperative? Naw. Is that where all the Thanos love comes from?

Nihilist
Naw. Is that where all the Thanos love comes from? Some yeah

Basically he was the Avatar of Death, whilst weak a blast from a cosmic cube only just koed him and he easily handled Lord Marvell who was the Avatar of the Elder Gods of the Cancerverse, and he(Marvell) pwnd Silver Surfer and a full power Nova at once with ease.

Cogito
Some yeah

Basically he was the Avatar of Death, whilst weak a blast from a cosmic cube only just koed him and he easily handled Lord Marvell who was the Avatar of the Elder Gods of the Cancerverse, and he(Marvell) pwnd Silver Surfer and a full power Nova at once with ease.

Let's not exaggerate. Mar-vell didn't "pwn" Surfer, though perhaps he could have. The fight was basically Mar-vell tossing Surfer and then leaving.

Wasn't the CC stated to be nearly drained?

Nihilist
Originally posted by Cogito
Let's not exaggerate. Mar-vell didn't "pwn" Surfer, though perhaps he could have. The fight was basically Mar-vell tossing Surfer and then leaving.

Wasn't the CC stated to be nearly drained? He hit him with a casual energy back hand which broke Surfer board and put him out the rest of the fight.

So they fought, but it was used a couple more times. Nearly drained or not the cube would still have some many hits in it. iirc it was stated there was still enough power to make Starlord god

ColossusGrundy
Idiot Thanos marks notwithstanding......

Lanterns STOMP easily.

This is silly.

Cogito
He hit him with a casual energy back hand which broke Surfer board and put him out the rest of the fight.

Didn't put Surfer out the rest of the fight, as soon as he was hit Mar-vell left. Surfer had plenty of fight left in him.

Nihilist
Originally posted by ColossusGrundy
Idiot Thanos marks notwithstanding......

Lanterns STOMP easily.

This is silly. Come at me or stfuOriginally posted by Cogito
Didn't put Surfer out the rest of the fight, as soon as he was hit Mar-vell left. Surfer had plenty of fight left in him. The fight didnt end then at all, Marvell then wwent at it with Nova pwnin him..Look at the panels whilst he was crushing Marvell Sufer is on the floor holding his head.

cdtm
Not enough Lanterns. Thanos wins.

carver9
Thanos win.

Bentley
Originally posted by cdtm
Not enough Lanterns. Thanos wins.

Kyle is all the lantern that is needed.

ColossusGrundy
Kyle or Hal could just about solo Thanos.

Guy, Jon or Kil would tip it in their favor.

Have all 5 and then 5 more???

Ridiculous.

Sorry thanos fanboys, this is over quickly.

Sundipped

shocking

Sin I AM
Originally posted by Sundipped
shocking

he's right depending on versions

nimbus006

huh sick thumb down no

nimbus006
Originally posted by Sin I AM
he's righd epending on versions

As in Ion or Parallax?

Sundipped
Originally posted by nimbus006
As in Ion or Parallax?

Well .....he didn't say either one. And neither is listed in this thread.

nimbus006
Originally posted by Sundipped
Well .....he didn't say either one. And neither is listed in this thread.

Yea, that's my point.

Neither Hal or Kyle can solo Thanos, IMO. Unless, it's those two versions.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by golem370

Green Lantern(Kyle)
Green Lantern(Hal)
Green Lantern(Stewert)
Green Lantern(Kilowog)
Green Lantern(Gardner)
+ 5 no name Lanterns. Does +5 no name Lanterns actually mean Lanterns that aren't ever referenced by name and are pure fodder? Unlike named, developed characters like Vath, Stel and Isamot?

Bentley
Hal solos. Krona buster ftw.

h1a8

Green Lantern(Kyle)
Green Lantern(Hal)
Green Lantern(Stewert)
Green Lantern(Kilowog)
Green Lantern(Gardner)
+ 5 no name Lanterns.

NOPE! I have a hard time seeing him beat Hal alone.

golem370
No name lantern that have little to no actual feats

golem370
Morg with power cosmic and WOL took on 4 herald alone Thanos is above Morg even when he was that powerful.

Galan007
and he easily handled Lord Marvell who was the Avatar of the Elder Gods of the Cancerverse, and he(Marvell) pwnd Silver Surfer and a full power Nova at once with ease. Marv dealt with Surfer and Nova at the same time. So what? Pre-TI Thanos could have done the same, and with the same degree of ease, no less. That being said: from a power standpoint, TI Thanos really did nothing beyond what his 'former self' was capable of, imo.

At any rate, I'm siding with the Lanterns. The only advantage Thanos has here is that he cannot be permanently killed. Big whoop. Mr. Immortal can't die either--doesn't mean I'd give him the nod over the Lanterns. ermm

KuRuPT Thanosi
I see a whole lot of one shotting going on here. Thanos wins.

OneDumbG0
No name lantern that have little to no actual feats Ok. Then it's fair to point out that YL Mongul took on ten named Lanterns pretty well. A team that included Honor Guards, Gardner and Rayner, and Ion Sodam Yat. While Ion Sodam Yat doesn't completely make up for the absence of Hal, John and Kilowog, the other seven named Lanterns (Arisia, Bzzd, Stel, Vath, Isamot, Iolande, Soranik) definitely help close that gap.

vince_slice
Originally posted by Galan007
Marv dealt with Surfer and Nova at the same time. So what? Pre-TI Thanos could have done the same, and with the same degree of ease, no less.

If Marvell could tool Surfer and Nova easily, and Thanos was is able to tool Marvell easily, it demonstrates Thanos is above Marvell and would handle Surfer and Nova even more easily than Marvell did.

nimbus006
At any rate, I'm siding with the Lanterns. The only advantage Thanos has here is that he cannot be permanently killed. Big whoop. Mr. Immortal can't die either--doesn't mean I'd give him the nod over the Lanterns. ermm

I have to agree with this.

Nihilist
Marv dealt with Surfer and Nova at the same time. So what? Pre-TI Thanos could have done the same, and with the same degree of ease, no less. That being said: from a power standpoint, TI Thanos really did nothing beyond what his 'former self' was capable of, imo.

At any rate, I'm siding with the Lanterns. The only advantage Thanos has here is that he cannot be permanently killed. Big whoop. Mr. Immortal can't die either--doesn't mean I'd give him the nod over the Lanterns. ermm Pre TI Thanos wouldnt be able to tank a blast from a cosmic cube and only just be ko'k whilst weak

And laughing out loud at comparing Thanos to Mr Immortal, Thanos is far more versatile in both offence and defence. Mr Immortal can even come close to what Thanos can dish ouy.

Galan007
Originally posted by vince_slice
If Marvell could tool Surfer and Nova easily, and Thanos was is able to tool Marvell easily, it demonstrates Thanos is above Marvell and would handle Surfer and Nova even more easily than Marvell did. I don't understand your point. Pre-TI Thanos was always capable of stomping multiple heralds (inc. Surfer) with ease. He was also powerful enough to stalemate Tyrant to a degree, and cause harm to Galactus.

Again: other than immortality, TI Thanos demonstrated nothing which led me to believe he was more power than his past incarnation.

And laughing out loud at comparing Thanos to Mr Immortal, Thanos is far more versatile in both offence and defence. Mr Immortal can even come close to what Thanos can dish ouy. I suggest rereading my previous post. Upon so doing, you might comprehend the fact that I did not compare Mr. Immortal to Thanos from a power standpoint.

g007-psyduck

vince_slice
I'm not trying to dispute your opinion that Pre-TI Thanos is as powerful as post-TI Thanos. I was referring to what you said before that: how Thanos and Marvell would beat Surfer and Nova with "the same degree of ease, no less."

I think Thanos would beat Surfer and Nova with a higher degree of ease if he's considerably above Marvell as shown in TI, that's it.

Galan007
^ Right. My main point is simply that sans immortality, there is nothing I know of which conclusively puts TI Thanos above his prior incarnation. ie. his hype is undeserved, imo.

vince_slice
Well not being able to die at all seems pretty useful in battle, but maybe that's just my opinion.

Galan007
If the combined Lanterns are more powerful than Thanos, he doesn't get the automatic win simply because they cannot permanently kill him (hence my previous "Mr. Immortal analogy".)

vince_slice
If the combined Lanterns are more powerful than Thanos, he doesn't get the automatic win simply because they cannot permanently kill him (hence my previous "Mr. Immortal analogy".)

No one's suggesting an automatic win just because Thanos is immortal (at least I don't think anyone is). The only suggestion I would make is that immortality would be pretty damn useful in fights.

Sundipped
No one's suggesting an automatic win just because Thanos is immortal (at least I don't think anyone is). The only suggestion I would make is that immortality would be pretty damn useful in fights.

In a forum fight, said being would still be capable of losing tho.

Galan007
No one's suggesting an automatic win just because Thanos is immortal (at least I don't think anyone is). The only suggestion I would make is that immortality would be pretty damn useful in fights. People (not you) tend to act like TI Thanos is this 'teh uber' entity. Fact is, there is nothing to suggest that he is any more powerful than, say, Annihilation-age Thanos... Immortality be damned. The fella is not unbeatable.

vince_slice
People (not you) tend to act like TI Thanos is this 'teh uber' entity. Fact is, there is nothing to suggest that he is any more powerful than, say, Annihilation-age Thanos... Immortality be damned. The fella is not unbeatable.

He might not have more power output, but his immortality does help in battles, especially in battles that are prolonged where he could eventually die of his wounds. Not only will severe wounds no longer slow his battle pace down, damage that would normally incapacitate/kill him (e.g., blown organs, etc), won't slow him down either.

In effect, post-TI Thanos could potentially last much longer in grueling fights than pre-TI Thanos. I'm not sure why people write off immortality for someone like Thanos as if it were a non-factor. Immortality for someone with his powers is dangerous period.

The outcome of the fight will be largely predicated on how strong Thanos' jaw is, and whether or not the lanterns know attempting to kill him would be counter-intuitive. By the time they realize killing won't work and all attempt knock him out unconsciously, their group's accumulated wounds may be too high, and their numbers may already be lowered to the point where it's too late.

Personally I'm not completely sure who would win because the 5 fodder lantern thing throws me off.

KuRuPT Thanosi
The Fodder lanterns seal the deal for me.. not throw me off.

Galan007
He might not have more power output, but his immortality does help in battles, especially in battles that are prolonged where he could eventually die of his wounds. Not only will severe wounds no longer slow his battle pace down, damage that would normally incapacitate/kill him (e.g., blown organs, etc), won't slow him down either.

In effect, post-TI Thanos could potentially last much longer in grueling fights than pre-TI Thanos. I'm not sure why people write off immortality for someone like Thanos as if it were a non-factor. Immortality for someone with his powers is dangerous period. Immortality =/= increased stamina, or a conventional healing factor. ie. Thanos can still get tired. He can still sustain injuries. He just cannot die. In that sense he's a lot like Doomsday... Without the adaption thing working for him.

The outcome of the fight will be largely predicated on how strong Thanos' jaw is, and whether or not the lanterns know attempting to kill him would be counter-intuitive. By the time they realize killing won't work and all attempt knock him out unconsciously, their group's accumulated wounds may be too high, and their numbers may already be lowered to the point where it's too late. Surely the common knowledge rule would allow the Lanterns to know that Thanos is immortal. However, I still don't see why SSJ Hal couldn't just blow Thanos' head off, then combine his will with that of the other Lanterns' to make a "super-construct" capable of containing Thanos long enough to constitute an incapacitation win..? Meh, whatevs.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Hey buddy.. I don't see how the common knowledge rule would apply to them knowing he is immortal at all. To me, that isn't close to the common knowledge of lets say superman n sunlight etc etc

Galan007
Given the fairly limited number of characters TI Thanos interacted with, I think it would be common knowledge, personally... Mainly because they were ALL aware that Thanos was the avatar of Death/immortal. *shrug*

vince_slice
Immortality =/= increased stamina, or a conventional healing factor. ie. Thanos can still get tired. He can still sustain injuries. He just cannot die. In that sense he's a lot like Doomsday... Without the adaption thing working for him.

Surely the common knowledge rule would allow the Lanterns to know that Thanos is immortal. However, I still don't see why SSJ Hal couldn't just blow Thanos head off, then combine his will with that of the other Lanterns' to make a "super-construct" capable of containing Thanos long enough to constitute an incapacitation win..? Meh, whatevs.

Really? You don't think Thanos can heal from wounds despite regenerating from a skeleton? Seems rather obvious he can. What about the fact that after being stabbed in the heart, the subsequent panels show that bloody wound gone, with Thanos seemingly fine and ready to battle Nova and Starlord?

You're really going to use the "Krona buster" argument? That would mean Hal could beat just about any trans tier alone and with one-shot. I also fail to see how a super construct would hold Thanos if he can simply teleport out of it?

Writing off immortality as useful in battle sounds weird to me.

Rage.Of.Olympus
Thanos is immortal but that doesn't mean he has a healing factor.

If someone cuts Thanos' throat or rips in half, he'll die, then come back as completely whole. That's how I understood it anyway, it seems he isn't immune to injury or being put out.

Bentley
Yep, as much was implied during his stand off against Rocket Raccoon.

Galan007
Really? You don't think Thanos can heal from wounds despite regenerating from a skeleton? Seems rather obvious he can. You're talking about the instance in which Thanos was destroyed (via anti-matter bomb) and then regenerated... Which is exactly my point. Thanos is obviously going to regen after any life threatening injuries are sustained. He wouldn't be a very good immortal if he couldn't at least do that.

You're really going to use the "Krona buster" argument? Why wouldn't I use it? That'd be like you not using Thanos' touted 'immortality'. wink

KuRuPT Thanosi
Given the fairly limited number of characters TI Thanos interacted with, I think it would be common knowledge, personally... Mainly because they were ALL aware that Thanos was the avatar of Death/immortal. *shrug*

Did you just give the EXACT reason why it wouldn't be common knowledge? He didn't interact with many people at all, and thus that greatly limits the amount of people who would know and thus be common knowledge. As I stated, virtually all of DC earth human hero or otherwise and pretty much all his enemies know about superman and his relationship with the sun.. hence the common knowledge rule... In this case, it doesn't even come close to that case or others like it referenced in the rule.

Galan007
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Did you just give the EXACT reason why it wouldn't be common knowledge? He didn't interact with many people at all, and thus that greatly limits the amount of people who would know and thus be common knowledge. As I stated, virtually all of DC earth human hero or otherwise and pretty much all his enemies know about superman and his relationship with the sun.. hence the common knowledge rule... In this case, it doesn't even come close to that case or others like it referenced in the rule. So you believe that a character must expose a given trait about themselves to "x" amount of others before it becomes common knowledge? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. That rule (like most other forum rules) is relative to the character(s) involved. For instance, if Superman only appeared in 7-8 issues before he was killed off (as was the case with TI Thanos), but everyone he interacted with during that time was familiar with his weakness to kryptonite, then it would certainly be considered common knowledge, relative to the number of times he appeared. However, if only one or two others he interacted with knew about said weakness, then it wouldn't be common knowledge.

But lets face it: Thanos being the avatar of Death/immortal was one of TI's biggest plot-points, and common knowledge to all parties involved. Just saying.

vince_slice
You're talking about the instance in which Thanos was destroyed (via anti-matter bomb) and then regenerated... Which is exactly my point. Thanos is obviously going to regen after any life threatening injuries are sustained. He wouldn't be a very good immortal if he couldn't at least do that.

Why wouldn't I use it? That'd be like you not using Thanos' touted 'immortality'. wink no I'm talking about the time he was stabbed in the heart and didn't simply die and come back, later panels show his wound gone and healed.

You don't think Hal oneshot killing krona with all the emotional entities is PIS? I don't think he can just pull that off anytime willy nilly.

Galan007
no I'm talking about the time he was stabbed in the heart and didn't simply die and come back, later panels show his wound gone and healed.Yeah, the wound Thanos sustains from a weapon Marv was gifted with by the Many Angled Ones mysteriously disappears immediately after Death erases Marv/the Many Angled Ones/that entire universe from existence. Very peculiar.

none

You don't think Hal oneshot killing krona with all the emotional entities is PIS? I don't think he can just pull that off anytime willy nilly. I sure do... Mainly because that's exactly what he did. g007_teehee

Nihilist
I don't understand your point. Pre-TI Thanos was always capable of stomping multiple heralds (inc. Surfer) with ease. He was also powerful enough to stalemate Tyrant to a degree, and cause harm to Galactus.

Again: other than immortality, TI Thanos demonstrated nothing which led me to believe he was more power than his past incarnation.The fact he could bring permant death to those unable to die indictates a power surge to some degree, when Thanos rejected death imo he wouldnt have been able to perform said feat.

Fair enough, but you did imply the only thing Thanos had going for him was his "immortality" and anything else he had going for him was worthless.

Nihilist
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Thanos is immortal but that doesn't mean he has a healing factor.

If someone cuts Thanos' throat or rips in half, he'll die, then come back as completely whole. That's how I understood it anyway, it seems he isn't immune to injury or being put out. It was implied he was invulnerable to a degree, like when Gamora Godslayer broke on his skin, and thenwhen he started to regain more power just before the Marvell showdown. Thanos states "i am invulnerable, these being cannot harm me"

OneDumbG0
^ EDIT: Makin my posts irrelevant... why you lil... uhuh

Nihilist
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
^ EDIT: Makin my posts irrelevant... why you lil... uhuh laughing out loud why what was u gonna say?

Badabing

Green Lantern(Kyle)
Green Lantern(Hal)
Green Lantern(Stewert)
Green Lantern(Kilowog)
Green Lantern(Gardner)
+ 5 no name Lanterns. Hal or Guy solo...probably Guy.

Galan007
The fact he could bring permant death to those unable to die indictates a power surge to some degree I'd credit that more to his role as 'the avatar of Death' , then I would to a power upgrade. A lot more, in fact.

Fair enough, but you did imply the only thing Thanos had going for him was his "immortality" and anything else he had going for him was worthless. All I implied is that there isn't much (if any) concrete proof that TI Thanos was any more powerful then, say, he was during Annihilation. Nothing more, nothing less.

OneDumbG0
laughing out loud why what was u gonna say? Was gonna talk about how, outside of resurrection, there was circumstantial evidence he received a physical amp considering how shocked Gamora was that he no-sold Godslayer.

cdtm
It was implied he was invulnerable to a degree, like when Gamora Godslayer broke on his skin, and thenwhen he started to regain more power just before the Marvell showdown. Thanos states "i am invulnerable, these being cannot harm me"

Yeah, he's ridiculously durable.

I can see him and classic Juggernaut slugging it out for days, and neither really hurting the other.

vince_slice
Yeah, the wound Thanos sustains from a weapon Marv was gifted with by the Many Angled Ones mysteriously disappears immediately after Death erases Marv/the Many Angled Ones/that entire universe from existence. Very peculiar.

none

I sure do... Mainly because that's exactly what he did. g007_teehee

Death didn't "erase" Marv, she killed him, she didn't "erase" the Many-Angled-Ones; they were actually still alive but gravely wounded, and she didn't "erase" the universe either because Thanos and the rest of the gang were still standing on it while it started to collapse wink.

But even assuming what you said was true (it's not), why would Thanos' physical wound disappear? The weapon disappearing makes sense, but why would his wound magically disappear along with the cancer-verse? That makes no sense. Him healing the wound makes much more sense and is much more parsimonious than it magically disappearing with the cancer-verse for reasons unknown except to serve your arguments purpose.

And c'mon the fact that Hal pulled that Krona buster out of his ass without any explanation is PIS.

OneDumbG0
^ I refuse to look up the word, "parsimonious." crackers

Nihilist
I think some people forget how durable Thanos is, he survived inside a closed black hole.

KuRuPT Thanosi
So you believe that a character must expose a given trait about themselves to "x" amount of others before it becomes common knowledge? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. That rule (like most other forum rules) is relative to the character(s) involved. For instance, if Superman only appeared in 7-8 issues before he was killed off (as was the case with TI Thanos), but everyone he interacted with during that time was familiar with his weakness to kryptonite, then it would certainly be considered common knowledge, relative to the number of times he appeared. However, if only one or two others he interacted with knew about said weakness, then it wouldn't be common knowledge.

But lets face it: Thanos being the avatar of Death/immortal was one of TI's biggest plot-points, and common knowledge to all parties involved. Just saying.

Think about it, Thanos being from Titan and being an Eternal are common knowledge. All the powers he's exhibited throughout his many appearance have now become common knowledge. The examples even given on this site side with my stance on what common knowledge is. Now then, lets say Thanos displays the power of decreasing his size to that of a atom.. something he's never shown before.. and only showed it to 6 or 7 people in a universe that collasping... you expect this new power to be common knowledge for everybody he encounters?? Nah, that isn't how I think the rule works and not close to the examples used to describe the rule on this very forum. Shrug.

Galan007

Galan007
Think about it, Thanos being from Titan and being an Eternal are common knowledge. All the powers he's exhibited throughout his many appearance have now become common knowledge. The examples even given on this site side with my stance on what common knowledge is. Now then, lets say Thanos displays the power of decreasing his size to that of a atom.. something he's never shown before.. and only showed it to 6 or 7 people in a universe that collasping... you expect this new power to be common knowledge for everybody he encounters?? Nah, that isn't how I think the rule works and not close to the examples used to describe the rule on this very forum. Shrug. I disagree for reasons I've already mentioned. KMC character rules are dynamic, and intended to change (if need be) to properly fit the characters involved. Doesn't really matter either way, though.

Blight

vince_slice
-If Death didn't erase Marv, why did he disappear?
-The MAO's were "crippled". "Aeons" will pass before they heal from Death's gesture. It's safe to say their powers were, for all intents and purposes, non-existent.
-The universe was destroyed as a direct result of Death's gesture. So yeah, it too was ultimately erased.

I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure being crippled but alive =/= being erased from existence, because you know...you kind of have to exist to be alive in the first place?

Well maybe the fact that Thanos was able to regerenate all of his flesh after being turned into a skeleton has something to do with him healing from being stabbed in the heart? But I guess you have really high standards for what's considered "healing"...because being unkillable and having a healing factor is mutually exclusive when it suits your arguments.

You haven't explained to me why or how Thanos' wound disappearing has anything to do with the cancerverse gradually collapsing? Especially when its more likely he healed it himself seeing as he regenerated from being a skeleton just prior?

All your argument amounts to is: Thanos' wound were healed at kind of the same time as the cancer-verse collapsing, therefore they must be linked! Just because two events happen to occur at similar times doesn't mean they're related, or one causes the other. Explain to me why or how they're related at all and why it isn't just coincidental.

Nah dude, "parsimonious" is just some band I met on Facebook. They're totally rad and not mainstream like the other bands.

Parmaniac
Nah dude, "parsimonious" is just some band I met on Facebook. They're totally rad and not mainstream like the other bands. I wouldn't be suprsied if it's your band and your doing viral advertising/marketing here.

vince_slice
Originally posted by Parmaniac
I wouldn't be suprsied if it's your band and your doing viral advertising/marketing here.

Damn you figured me out! mad

But seriously for people who don't know what I was referring to when I used the word "parsimonious" look up principle of parsimony or Occam's razor. Serves me right for using positivistic philosophical terms on a comic book forum sad

Galan007
I don't know about you but I'm pretty sure being crippled but alive =/= being erased from existence, because you know...you kind of have to exist to be alive in the first place? Being crippled, taking aeons to heal, and having their universe destroyed, equates to them having very little (if any) power remaining. That's the important part.

Well maybe the fact that Thanos was able to regerenate all of his flesh after being turned into a skeleton has something to do with him healing from being stabbed in the heart? But I guess you have really high standards for what's considered "healing"...because being unkillable and having a healing factor is mutually exclusive when it suits your arguments. Thanos regenerated from nothingness. There wasn't even a skeleton. Why did he regenerate? Because Drax destroyed him entirely with an anti-matter bomb, and his immortality resurrected him. Considering that has absolutely nothing to do with what I've been talking about, I'm not really sure why you keep bringing it up..?

Thanos is immortal. Obviously he's going to regen if a life threatening circumstance comes his way. What I'm talking about is a healing factor in the non-immortal sense. ie. Hulk punches Thanos in the face and breaks his nose. Does the nose heal instantly? Highly doubtful, as it's not a life threatening emergency that requires Thanos' 'immortal-factor' to kick in. Point being: Thanos can still sustain lasting damage--he just can't be killed.

Thanos' wound were healed at kind of the same time as the cancer-verse collapsing, therefore they must be linked! Just because two events happen to occur at similar times doesn't mean they're related, or one causes the other. Explain to me why or how they're related at all and why it isn't just coincidental. Again, it's simple to connect the dots.

Fact: The MAOs use their power to manifest a sword for Marv capable of puncturing Thanos' hide.
Fact: Death shows up and gesturely erases Marv, gesturely wipes out that universe, and gesturely renders the MAOs crippled and powerless.
Fact: Thanos immediately pops up afterward and his gaping wound is completely healed. Hell, there wasn't even a hole in his suit from where the sword had previously cut through, nor was there any visible blood on his face/clothing as there had been moments earlier. Is Thanos' "HF" so uber that it mends and cleans his clothing as well?

...My common sense is tingling. g007-psyduck

vince_slice
Being crippled, taking aeons to heal, and having their universe destroyed, equates to them having very little (if any) power remaining. That's the important part.

So you said the MAO were erased from existence in your earlier post, what you're saying now sounds nothing like what you posted earlier. You should at least try to be consistent with your stances.

What are you talking about? Thanos was not reduced to "nothingness", he was reduced to a charred skeleton. Go check TI#4 and re-read it before you make false assumptions. You clearly see the group staring at the charred skeleton talking about what just happened.

You don't see the connection that if Thanos can regenerate from a charred skeleton to a fully fleshed being, that he can't regenerate from being stabbed from the chest? I think the connection is clear.

So he only has a healing factor if he's supposedly near death? So his healing factor for some reason, according to you, is selective? Even if this is true (despite no evidence) what constitutes to "near-death" for Thanos? Being stabbed in the chest how many times? What about burning, how long does he have to burn before his healing factor starts? Him accumulating certain amount of wounds that won't heal because they're not "near-death" but then once it hits a magical number it becomes "near-death" and his healing factor kicks in?

So now you're establishing imaginary rules for his healing factor after you outright dismissed it even existing in the first place? Not only are you not consistent with your arguments, your theory for his "selective healing factor" requires how many unfounded assumptions? Too many for my taste. I'd rather just assume he gradually heals from his wounds decently fast in general.

Again you ignored what I asked for. I ask you why his wound would disappear if the cancerverse is collapsing? Again all you've said so far is: they occurred at similar times therefore the cancerverse collapsing caused the wound to disappear. Okay, but why? Any reasons? You've provided none.

Also what gaping hole? Did you actually see the sword? It was really small compared to Thanos and looked like a short-sword, not a giant telephone pole. The reason why you don't see a "gaping hole" because that's not the type of wounds swords produce laughing

Again, it's much more likely that Thanos healed the stab wound because he has regenerated his flesh just prior to fighting Marv. Why wouldn't be be able to regenerate the stab wound to the chest?

Are you sure your common sense is tingling? Or is it having a chronic seizures? stick out tongue

cdtm

Not PIS. Will, my friend. Will.

Exactly.

Guy threw Appa Ali apsa for a loop with an attack, and he was way more powerful than your average guardian, as he was tapping into the bulk of the power while the Guardians had much smaller stores, having abandoned Oa and when they left him in charge.

Kyle, he bottled up a super nova.. GL's powers only being limited by their will is as canon as Hulks strength being limited only by his rage.

Galan007
So you said the MAO were erased from existence in your earlier post, what you're saying now sounds nothing like what you posted earlier. You should at least try to be consistent with your stances. Again: the MAOs being left powerless is the point. I apologize for the miscommunication.

What are you talking about? Thanos was not reduced to "nothingness", he was reduced to a charred skeleton. Go check TI#4 and re-read it before you make false assumptions. You clearly see the group staring at the charred skeleton talking about what just happened. You're right, I hadn't looked at the earlier issues. Either way, Thanos was still dead. That's why he came back with the knowledge that Death had rejected him. If Thanos wouldn't have been "immune to Death", that attack would have permanently killed him. The issue you mentioned makes that clear as day.

Again you ignored what I asked for. I ask you why his wound would disappear if the cancerverse is collapsing? Again all you've said so far is: they occurred at similar times therefore the cancerverse collapsing caused the wound to disappear. Okay, but why? Any reasons? You've provided none. Perhaps once the source that caused the injury was rendered powerless (Marv/MAOs), so too was the injury they caused..?

Also what gaping hole? Did you actually see the sword? It was really small compared to Thanos and looked like a short-sword, not a giant telephone pole. The reason why you don't see a "gaping hole" because that's not the type of wounds swords produce Incorrect. If you look at the panel, once Marv removed the sword from Thanos, a sizable hole with a good deal of blood around it was visible. Immediately after Death did her thing, Thanos popped up like nothing had happened. Imo, it seems more likely that the damage was undone when Death 'gestured', as opposed to Thanos simply healing from it.

Remember, that blade was intended to kill Thanos/the avatar of Death. I find it highly unlikely that he could have simply healed the wound he sustained without some type of intervention beyond this alleged "healing factor".

---

Anywho, that will be my last post on this topic (it's extremely circular at this point.) Still going with the Lanterns, via the method I mentioned earlier. smile

zeel

"Kyle or Hal could just about solo Thanos"

How, their energy blasts are going to do nothing to thanos, thanos is highly resistant to just about everything. The group i would wager might ware thanos down and casue him to flee, but they will not kill him. But theses 2 soloing thanos this is asadine. these guys couldnt even solo thor, and thor sure as hell cannot solo thanos. Hell surfers energy blasts do nothing more then bounce off thanos. and surfer would dominate theses 2 guys.

cdtm
The group that contained the galaxy destroying bomb could beat Thanos.

And entire Corp could definitely beat Thanos.

5 named lanterns and 5 mooks would be hard pressed beating Mongul with rings, let alone Thanos.

Bentley
Kyle and Hal can solo Thor erm

zeel
Originally posted by Bentley

nah he will drain them before they get a chance thor and surfer are built to beat green lanterns in general, kyle and hall will fair better at best they may stalemate him at best.

Prep-Man

yep.

cdtm
Kyle and Hal are used to dealing with energy drainers.. One of the Sinestro Corps primary weapons drained their energy.

And Thor would be hard pressed draining either of them and defending attacks from multiple fronts (Since one GL can attack from multiple fronts), if they fought smart.

Stoic
Originally posted by Cogito

Wasn't the CC stated to be nearly drained?

Was it also true that Sentry restrained a full powered Cube?

Nihilist
Originally posted by Stoic
Was it also true that Sentry restrained a full powered Cube? The power lvl of the cube was never stated.

And Captain Marvell destroyed a cosmic cube that was warpin him and the universe which is far better than what Sentry did.

Stoic
The power lvl of the cube was never stated.

And Captain Marvell destroyed a cosmic cube that was warpin him and the universe which is far better than what Sentry did.

What does that say about Thanos being knocked on his duff by a nearly depleted cube? To me it says that there are guys out there that would take him out, and they don't have to be Odin level either.

In his defense though, I for one have trouble believing that the Lanterns would win even one fight against Thanos, when Lobo would give all of these guys the business.

JakeTheBank

Not for the majority.

Nihilist
What does that say about Thanos being knocked on his duff by a nearly depleted cube? To me it says that there are guys out there that would take him out, and they don't have to be Odin level either.

In his defense though, I for one have trouble believing that the Lanterns would win even one fight against Thanos, when Lobo would give all of these guys the business. WTF have you read the comic ? ill geuss no.

It was stated plain as day Thanos was very weak at that point when the CC ko'd him as he had only just been released from the coccoon, and the cube wasnt duff as it was used again plus it was stated the cube still had enough power to make Starlord God if he hadnt of used that power to blast Thanos.

Sr J-Bieb
The Cosmic Cube blast didn't even KO him. It rocked him and released the mental blocks which caused the telepaths to put him under

Stoic
WTF have you read the comic ? ill geuss no.

It was stated plain as day Thanos was very weak at that point when the CC ko'd him as he had only just been released from the coccoon, and the cube wasnt duff as it was used again plus it was stated the cube still had enough power to make Starlord God if he hadnt of used that power to blast Thanos. Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
The Cosmic Cube blast didn't even KO him. It rocked him and released the mental blocks which caused the telepaths to put him under

My point was just to bring to light that Thanos is not invincible, and he can be knocked around too. It wasn't an attempt at a low ball.

Nihilist
My point was just to bring to light that Thanos is not invincible, and he can be knocked around too. It wasn't an attempt at a low ball. It was a attempt as its the only thing you can do, and what will knocking him around achieve? damn forgot Thanos wont mount any type of offence will he.

golem370
Thanos would probably one shot most of them.

OneDumbG0
Kyle and Hal can solo Thor erm Not really and what does that have to do with anything anyway?

Bentley
Not really and what does that have to do with anything anyway?

Someone said that Kyle and Hal combined would be soloed by Thor.

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Not for the majority.

Even there, they are good enough to clean sweep Thor 2 on 1.

OneDumbG0
Someone said that Kyle and Hal combined would be soloed by Thor.

Even there, they are good enough to clean sweep Thor 2 on 1. Yeah, Thor could.

No, they aren't.

Prep-Man
Kyle and Hal are used to dealing with energy drainers.. One of the Sinestro Corps primary weapons drained their energy.

And Thor would be hard pressed draining either of them and defending attacks from multiple fronts (Since one GL can attack from multiple fronts), if they fought smart.

Basically. Energy drainers aren't a auto win against top tier GL's. As Desaad has pointed out multiple times.

Bentley
Yeah, Thor could.

No, they aren't.

laughing out loud

Good one ODG stick out tongue

cdtm
Yeah, Thor could.

No, they aren't.

Kyle + Hal <<<<< Guy Gardner?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Basically. Energy drainers aren't a auto win against top tier GL's. As Desaad has pointed out multiple times.

Manhunters =/= Mjolnir. If I had to choose which of those to use to attempt to absorb a power ring, I'd pick Mjolnir every time.

Thor's not just an energy drainer (nor would I use that term solely to describe him). He's also a top tier brick more than capable of smashing through their average constructs and defending against their beam attacks.

quanchi112
Kyle and Hal can solo Thor erm laughing out loud

zeel

very true, but i still dont see them takeing a majority against thor one at a time. The 2 combined would probobly overwelm thor though.

OneDumbG0
^ Same. And together they could overwhelm Thor but not 10/10.

Sr J-Bieb
Manhunters =/= Mjolnir. If I had to choose which of those to use to attempt to absorb a power ring, I'd pick Mjolnir every time.
It's even worse when Manhunters have drained rings...

-Pr-

True, but i'd still only give one, maybe two GL's a chance against Thor.

Galan007
Yeah, unless you're an Alpha Lantern, or your name is Ion, Mjolnir can likely drain your GL energies with a fair amount of rapidity. The Manhunter analogy previously used is a perfect example.

cdtm
Interesting fact:

Only a little more than half a dozen GL's held off and defeated Mad God 3600.

Mostly due to one GL's ability to expand to the size of a galaxy and engulf it, but the other GL's were still holding it off for awhile. This is post crisis, too, as it even makes reference to changes since the crisis (Which is interesting, considering no ones supposed to even remember how things were before the Crisis.)

Galan007
= further proof of how pathetic Johns made Lanterns as a whole.

Bentley
Hopefully the next writer that comes along will be more open to creative feats. I really hope the New Guardians establish interesting/interactive powersets into the different Corps.

I'm not holding my breath though ermm

quanchi112
= further proof of how pathetic Johns made Lanterns as a whole. Johns is a good writer and I for one don't read comics just for feats more so the story itself.

Blight
Originally posted by quanchi112
Johns is a good writer and I for one don't read comics just for feats more so the story itself.
This I agree with completely. Seems a lot of people here have become feat miners since theyve joined this site.

Bentley
Johns is a good writer and I for one don't read comics just for feats more so the story itself.

War of the Green Lantern and Blackest Night weren't great.

Blight
War of the Green Lantern and Blackest Night weren't great. you didn't like Blackest night?

-Pr-
Yeah, unless you're an Alpha Lantern, or your name is Ion, Mjolnir can likely drain your GL energies with a fair amount of rapidity. The Manhunter analogy previously used is a perfect example.

Hal vs Krona disagrees. sneer

Sixth_Winged
Current Kyle with the current story arc wins, team still win i reckon even without.

But Thanos will brutally kill the lanterns probably leaving bout 2-3 survivors till he get knfo or trapped in something.

cdtm
War of the Green Lantern and Blackest Night weren't great.

Johns kind of jumped the shark after Sinestro Corp War, imo.

War of Light had its moments, though. Agent Orange, mostly.

Bentley
you didn't like Blackest night?

I dropped it pretty quickly, to be fair.

quanchi112
This I agree with completely. Seems a lot of people here have become feat miners since theyve joined this site. I agree. I just hate it when galan and others start hating a writer because certain characters aren't written to a previous power level.Originally posted by Bentley
War of the Green Lantern and Blackest Night weren't great. What does that have to do with him being a good writer ? Not all of his stuff is great but he's still a good writer nonetheless.

Bentley
I agree. I just hate it when galan and others start hating a writer because certain characters aren't written to a previous power level.

I don't think it has to do with power level. Long time readers tend to like consistency between the books their read, so stories are meaningful in the long run. Many criticzed the reboot for the same reasons.

What does that have to do with him being a good writer ? Not all of his stuff is great but he's still a good writer nonetheless.

That if the "sacrifice" of consistency is made, you can excuse it and even defend it as long as the stories are consistently good. Bendis Avengers aren't at all like the previous iterations of the teams, but for most part they have been on a consistent quality, and I wouldn't hold that against Bendis -his dialogue is lacking at times, but that doesn't make him a bad writer either-.

I do think Geoff is a decent writer, so I'm not actually antagonizing your posts stick out tongue

quanchi112
I don't think it has to do with power level. Long time readers tend to like consistency between the books their read, so stories are meaningful in the long run. Many criticzed the reboot for the same reasons.

That if the "sacrifice" of consistency is made, you can excuse it and even defend it as long as the stories are consistently good. Bendis Avengers aren't at all like the previous iterations of the teams, but for most part they have been on a consistent quality, and I wouldn't hold that against Bendis -his dialogue is lacking at times, but that doesn't make him a bad writer either-.

I do think Geoff is a decent writer, so I'm not actually antagonizing your posts stick out tongue Most posters won't admit it's power levels but read between the lines. The reboot is more of a desperation thing to keep pace with marvel.

Glad you agree he's a good writer.

Bentley
Galan being the avid comic reader he is, probably doesn't care that much about powerlevels. I mean, he really likes I Vampire.

Stoic
This I agree with completely. Seems a lot of people here have become feat miners since theyve joined this site.

Make an argument concerning a character without using feats, let's see how much weight your argument holds. The use of feats is necessary to keep people from underselling, or over-exaggerating what the character in question can and can't do. Just saying.

quanchi112
Galan being the avid comic reader he is, probably doesn't care that much about powerlevels. I mean, he really likes I Vampire. I think it's obvious he does care like most so it's not like it's entirely a bad thing.

Juntai
I think it's obvious he does care like most so it's not like it's entirely a bad thing. I'd rather just read good stories, I just like the debating format. It's fun. smile

quanchi112
Originally posted by Juntai
I'd rather just read good stories, I just like the debating format. It's fun. smile But you have to admit with certain characters we love we don't want low showings.

-Pr-
But you have to admit with certain characters we love we don't want low showings.

low showings are usually consistent with bad writing, though.

quanchi112
Originally posted by -Pr-
low showings are usually consistent with bad writing, though. It all depends. Most writers are probably really annoyed with fans who obsess over this so I can see it from their perspective as well.

leonidas
low showings are usually consistent with bad writing, though.

and sometimes high showings as well.

-Pr-
It all depends. Most writers are probably really annoyed with fans who obsess over this so I can see it from their perspective as well.

The writers are supposed to be consistent, though.

Originally posted by leonidas
and sometimes high showings as well.

Yup.

Bentley
But you have to admit with certain characters we love we don't want low showings.

Yep, I'm dissapointed Rocket Raccoon only outmanouvered Thanos once sad

JakeTheBank
As far as feats go, they're cool, and being honest, who doesn't want to see their favorite characters be portrayed awesomely? Story telling and quality comes first, though.

As far as the Corps specifically goes, for space cops wielding the most powerful weapons in the universe limited only by imagination and willpower, I'd like to see more than just energy beams and constructs, which is what Johns-Era GL's seem to be relegated to. The more creative a Lantern is, the more unique effects we should be seeing on the paper.

Starscream M
As far as feats go, they're cool, and being honest, who doesn't want to see their favorite characters be portrayed awesomely? Story telling and quality comes first, though.

As far as the Corps specifically goes, for space cops wielding the most powerful weapons in the universe limited only by imagination and willpower, I'd like to see more than just energy beams and constructs, which is what Johns-Era GL's seem to be relegated to. The more creative a Lantern is, the more unique effects we should be seeing on the paper. creative doesn't nec equal effective though

maybe beams are just the most efficient and effective attacks

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Starscream M
creative doesn't nec equal effective though

maybe beams are just the most efficient and effective attacks

I'd like to think that in the heat of the moment, basic constructs and energy beams are what GLs resort to when it comes to conventional "beat up the bad guy" moments. Outside of that, I'd like to see power rings do more.

Sinestro asking Hal if he ever truly made Earth a better place with his ring was an excellent observation.

Starscream M

Sinestro asking Hal if he ever truly made Earth a better place with his ring was an excellent observation. I see. I'd agree in that case that the ring has been severely underutilized in aspects outside of battle. As I would argue most heroes powers have been underutilized...in a world with supermans, reed richards, etc, there should be no famine, or disease.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Starscream M
I see. I'd agree in that case that the ring has been severely underutilized in aspects outside of battle. As I would argue most heroes powers have been underutilized...in a world with supermans, reed richards, etc, there should be no famine, or disease.

They tried that; it didn't work. Outside of forcibly subjugating people, most of the world's problem's can't be solved by someone like Superman.

--

Okay, as far as this "what is and isn't common knowledge" thing goes, Bada and I have come up with the following:

Thanos' standard powers, strength, durability, energy and such, are common enough that they would fall under common knowledge. His immortality, however, does not come under that heading, UNLESS they are, to quote bada:

"I would say common knowlede to groups like the Annihilators. Probably some high end mystics, celestials, skyfathers, etc. Maybe characters like Reed and Stark too....MAYBE. But I wouldn't say Spidey, Logan, Thor, Cap, etc. would know this."

I hope that clears things up.

KuRuPT Thanosi
They tried that; it didn't work. Outside of forcibly subjugating people, most of the world's problem's can't be solved by someone like Superman.

--

Okay, as far as this "what is and isn't common knowledge" thing goes, Bada and I have come up with the following:

Thanos' standard powers, strength, durability, energy and such, are common enough that they would fall under common knowledge. His immortality, however, does not come under that heading, UNLESS they are, to quote bada:

"I would say common knowlede to groups like the Annihilators. Probably some high end mystics, celestials, skyfathers, etc. Maybe characters like Reed and Stark too....MAYBE. But I wouldn't say Spidey, Logan, Thor, Cap, etc. would know this."

I hope that clears things up.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it as well. Thanks PR

cdtm

Miracle Man.

-Pr-
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on it as well. Thanks PR

If they kill him and he comes back, though, thats a pretty big hint. stick out tongue

Miracle Man.

Well, that's different. stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.