Maul vs FoTJ Luke

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Truculent
This is strictly lightsabers and all out. Passive Force powers only. Overt use of the Force is prohibited.

ares834
Ummm....

Nephthys
Luke kicks his ass.

Lord Lucien
facepalm

Stealth Moose
Maul solos. Clearly, he has horns.

RE: Blaxican
Maul isn't the "deadliest sith apprentice" for no reason. He beat the top duelist in the mythos, Anoon Bondera, whose skills were "second to none".

Maul 11/10.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Maul isn't the "deadliest sith apprentice" for no reason. He beat the top duelist in the mythos, Anoon Bondera, whose skills were "second to none".

Maul 11/10.

http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-04-05/orly_serious.jpg

Nephthys
Nope!

NTJack0
Quality thread.

DARTH POWER
Hahaha! The Maul hype is obviously back! Yay! But thats not enough to help him here..

Although I would suggest not doing Maul vs threads until we see how powerful he is in CW..

Nephthys
Whens he showing up? Hes taking his damn time. >:C

DARTH POWER
^ Lol Its gna be right at the end of the season I think.. They gna make us wait!

KingD19
Darth Maul....vs Fate of the Jedi Luke?

Oh that Zabrak gets smacked down hard.

Idiots.

KingD19
Oh, we're idiots? Anoon might not have been able to deafeat Maul, but then what happened? Oh yeah, Obi-Wan, his student did.

And multiple times Luke has been described as one of the most accomplished duelists of his or any other time. Maul goes down, hard.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by KingD19
Oh, we're idiots? Anoon might not have been able to deafeat Maul, but then what happened? Oh yeah, Obi-Wan, his student did. On what copy of TPM did Obi-Wan defeat Maul in a saber duel?

KingD19
I never said he beat him in a duel, I said he beat him, which he did. When you're fighting with energy swords that lop off limbs as easily as a hot knife through butter, winnings winning. And if I recall, Obi-Wan beat Maul again later on. It was either a clone, or a ghost-hologram, or that version with the robot bird legs, but he beat him at least once more.

lord starkiller
I think Nyan cat would just pwn them both

Lord Lucien
Anoon might not have been able to deafeat Maul, but then what happened? Oh yeah, Obi-Wan, his student did. Yeah, you did say that. Your use of the word 'defeat' must have been poorly thought out. I can 'defeat' you in a debate but then you can 'kill' me when I'm least expecting it.

Defeat in a duel =/= killing via surprise. That matters when you're comparing Maul's inability to 'defeat' Anoon and Obi-Wan's ability to 'kill' Maul. Not synonymous.

And that Maul with a cybernetic lower-half is from a non-canon comic called Old Wounds. Kenobi never faced him again after Naboo.

At least not until The Clone Wars brings him back.

KingD19
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Yeah, you did say that. Your use of the word 'defeat' must have been poorly thought out. I can 'defeat' you in a debate but then you can 'kill' me when I'm least expecting it.

Defeat in a duel =/= killing via surprise. That matters when you're comparing Maul's inability to 'defeat' Anoon and Obi-Wan's ability to 'kill' Maul. Not synonymous.

And that Maul with a cybernetic lower-half is from a non-canon comic called Old Wounds. Kenobi never faced him again after Naboo.

At least not until The Clone Wars brings him back.

Look at what I said. I never, in any post before this said that Obi-Wan beat/defeated Maul in a duel. I said he beat/defeated him, period.

And as fast as Maul was and as experienced as he was, he should have been able to counter that attack right? He'd just spent several minutes handing Obi and Qui-Gon their collective asses, then killed Qui-Gon. But that didn't happen. Surprised or not, he got cut in half.

And from what I read, Anoon couldn't beat him, but it wasn't Maul that won the fight. Anoon sacrificed himself and blew up a speeder.

Also, if a Darth Maul doppleganger with all his skills and abilities couldn't beat Vader, what chance does he have against Luke?

The same Luke he's beaten Lumiya, taken on Jacen Solo, purported to be one of the best duelists of his time, Palpatine, Vader, the list goes on.

ares834
No one actually thinks Maul has a chance...

Lord Lucien
Except Truculent, obviously.

DARTH POWER
Look at what I said. I never, in any post before this said that Obi-Wan beat/defeated Maul in a duel. I said he beat/defeated him, period.

Yeah and a one handed Vader defeated the Emporer. So what? Its amazing what you can accomplish with a surprise attack.

And if I recall, Obi-Wan beat Maul again later on. It was either a clone, or a ghost-hologram, or that version with the robot bird legs, but he beat him at least once more.

Non-Canon. We will probably get to see a rematch. As I think Filoni said somewhere Maul's gna be seriosuly pissed at Obi-Wan. Like I said no point in discussing Maul's power level now till he comes back. But no matter how much he's improved since TPM he still loses to Luke.

KingD19
You're comparing Vader suddenly turning on the Emperor after decades of unwavering loyalty and not so much defeating him as chucking him down a service shaft.....to Obi-Wan being at Maul's mercy, then taking him down with a saber slash?

And really, surprise attack? They'd been fighting for 5 minutes straight, he might have taken Maul by surprise, which doesn't make him seem all that good considering he'd just killed a powerful Jedi Master. But it wasn't a surprise attack. It wasn't like Maul was twiddling his thumbs with his back turned. He was there, ready, with his saber in his hand.

DARTH POWER
You're comparing Vader suddenly turning on the Emperor after decades of unwavering loyalty and not so much defeating him as chucking him down a service shaft.....to Obi-Wan being at Maul's mercy, then taking him down with a saber slash?

And really, surprise attack? They'd been fighting for 5 minutes straight, he might have taken Maul by surprise, which doesn't make him seem all that good considering he'd just killed a powerful Jedi Master. But it wasn't a surprise attack. It wasn't like Maul was twiddling his thumbs with his back turned. He was there, ready, with his saber in his hand.

It was a surprise attack because as far as Maul knew Obi-Wan had no weapon.

Lord Lucien

And really, surprise attack? They'd been fighting for 5 minutes straight, he might have taken Maul by surprise, which doesn't make him seem all that good considering he'd just killed a powerful Jedi Master. But it wasn't a surprise attack. It wasn't like Maul was twiddling his thumbs with his back turned. He was there, ready, with his saber in his hand. It was PIS, definitely, but still canon. Everyone's allowed a moment or two of retardation, and Maul just used one of his. Obi-Wan did not defeat Maul through saber prowess, he killed him via possum attack surprise attack. End of story.

KingD19
Once again, you're putting words in my mouth and saying I said he won through skill or whatever. I said he beat him.

Lord Lucien
I'm gonna waive my dislike of the word 'beat' in this sense and say "Okay."

DARTH POWER
Actually if anything Id say "They" beat him. I really didnt see it as a solo effort by Obi-Wan considering he had help for the majority of the fight, and even in that last move he needed Qui-Gon's weapon to win.

But whatever it was PIS. They had to end the fight, but they were not going have Obi-Wan outdueling Maul. Just wasn't gna happen.

Darth Truculent
I just like a good fight.

truejedi
um, Obi-wan used a moment of strong connection with the force to move faster than Maul could counter.... that's not exactly PIS.

Zampanó
Deus Ex Machina might be a better descriptor. PIS should be reserved for decisions, like Maul's choice to just stand around making sparks. "Ooooh look, lightsabers are cool -hrk"

truejedi
isn't the Force==Deus Ex Machina anyway?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by truejedi
um, Obi-wan used a moment of strong connection with the force to move faster than Maul could counter.... that's not exactly PIS.

What? Do you realise how much more powerful Obi-Wan would have to be than Maul to successfully pull off an attack like that from that position??

We know from ROTS how deadly having the high ground is in a lightsaber fight. Obi-Wan even says to Anakin "Its Over" simply due to his position.

Compare that position to the one Maul had over Obi-Wan! Lol.

It was a suprise attack, because Maul had no idea Obi-Wan had a weapon. How would he? He kicked away Obi-Wan's Lightsaber and obviously completely forgot about Qui-Gon's. He just assumed he'd already won, and was waiting for Obi-Wan to fall savouring his victory moment(PIS and CIS)..

Then Maul just blankly watched Obi-Wan jump at him thinking "WTF's he trying to do?" If you watch Obi-Wan didnt actually have Qui-Gons weapon in his hand until he was above Maul.

Nephthys
I agree. There was absolutely no way Maul could have known he was in any danger. Now if only he'd had the ability to sense the immediate future. A kind of danger-sense if you will..............

um, Obi-wan used a moment of strong connection with the force to move faster than Maul could counter.... that's not exactly PIS. Not really, since he jumped. It doesn't matter how fast Ob-Wan may have been going; gravity will only you bring you down at a certain speed. You can't "fall" extra fast.

truejedi
You can with force acceleration. The TPM novelization talks about Kenobi reaching into the force and connecting with it. that is a much more likely explanation than just PIS. we should only apply PIS where no other explanation will suffice. Looking at just the movie, PIS makes sense. however, the novel gives us another explanation, so we should take that.

Force acceleration allows you to move your body faster. It's not like a jet engine or something that literally "propels" you. So no, you wouldn't be able to land faster; you'd still be at the mercy of gravity pulling you back down to Earth, unless you somehow used the force to affect gravity.

truejedi
the force is an added force that would be added to the pull of gravity.

Where was this stated, or shown rather? I've never seen someone fall down extra fast in Star Wars.

truejedi
about gravity? Seriously? why would they state that?

Why wouldn't they? They state everything else they want you to be aware of in the universe.

BruceSkywalker
Maul gets sliced in half..

/thread

truejedi
force speed has always included force leaping before.

Yah, I've seen people jump really high and even fast, but how high and how fast you can jump depends on the strength of your muscles, which you amp with the force. When you're falling however you're basically in a vacuum, your physical strength doesn't matter.

truejedi
a missile shooting towards the ground falls faster than a free falling person.

a missile shooting towards the ground falls faster than a free falling person.

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Force acceleration allows you to move your body faster. It's not like a jet engine or something that literally "propels" you. So no, you wouldn't be able to land faster; you'd still be at the mercy of gravity pulling you back down to Earth, unless you somehow used the force to affect gravity. Don't try to bullshit me with your circular logic homeboyyyyy. I'm on to you.

Lord Lucien
Blax I think teej is saying that Obi-Wan both used the Force to propel himself upwards with greater speed, and also used it to propel himself back to the floor with similar speed.

Though we never actually witnessed that in the film. The novelization also fails to mention any increased speed on Obi-Wan's part, either in his ascent or descent. If the official script mention it, then that would be canon, but if not, then no 'Force Speed' was used here, and Maul remains ever retarded.

I understand that part, yah. I have never heard of a Jedi using the force to accelerate their decent, though.

Lord Lucien
One exception I can think of would be Staarkiler speeding up his freefall to catch the Gorog. But that was a huge descent covering miles. The 6 feet beneath Obi-Wan's neither merited speed nor likely could have accommodated it without the sudden stop jarring his femurs into their sockets. Maul was just an overconfident twit who had a fatal brain fart.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Nephthys
I agree. There was absolutely no way Maul could have known he was in any danger. Now if only he'd had the ability to sense the immediate future. A kind of danger-sense if you will..............

Hmm yeah.. That would be useful.. Could have saved Sidious from getting killed by an weaponless one handed Vader!

Pwned
What the hell is going on here? I go away for a couple months and now this?

Nephthys
We completely fell apart without you. Thank god you're back!

Pwned
I had figured as much.

But damn, the debating has dropped almost to yelling at brick walls......

truejedi
Originally posted by Nephthys
We completely fell apart without you. Thank god you're back!

haha.

Zampanó
Originally posted by Pwned
I had figured as much.

But damn, the debating has dropped almost to yelling at brick walls......
Dropped? Neph has raised the standard of debating (and average post length) significantly since he stepped into the ring.

(Of course there has been a concomitant rise in dick jokes, only curtailed by conscientious custodial care curbing the conglomeration of Gideon sox.)

Lord Lucien
Excellent use of 'c' words, you ****.

ares834
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Excellent use of 'c' words, you ****.

I'd assume that is an even better use of a "c" word.

Lord Lucien
The bestest.

Zampanó
Well if you're going to be a **** about it, you will deserve every cock-punch you earn.

...dick

Lord Lucien
A cock punch can get you charged with sexual harassment if you're a 7 year old American boy. So you just watch it.

Pwned
Well if its gotten better I'm just going to have to read more.....

Anyways, I am fairly certain Luke wins. Oh, and you guys are assholes to use the letter "C" so much! Now the other 25 letters will feel neglected!

NTJack0
Maul should be a skeleton by this point, Luke wins by default.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.