The One Ring's Power.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

dadudemon
Can a lightsaber cut the One Ring?

Use anything from any of Tolkien's works or expanded works.

Use anything form the Star Wars movies, or Eu, as well.

Also, are there any implied powers about the One Ring? (not actual demonstrated powers...but powers that were implied?)

eezy45
This matter is easily settled: the One Ring can only be destroyed by the fires of Mount Doom, where it was created. That is what everyone knows if he has read or even only watched The Fellowship of the Ring.

stick out tongue

RE: Blaxican
There are no lightsabers in the Lord of the Rings universe; so that logic doesn't work. That is what we would call a "limitless fallacy".

Omega Vision
Lol before this degenerates into a 'no-limits' vs 'limits' (although the latter fallacy is something I've only seen argued/used seriously by a single poster *cough*) fallacy argument I'd just restate an earlier argument of mine that while there's no real way we can say for certain that the ring would or wouldn't be vulnerable to a lightsaber I can say that from where I'm standing given that the One Ring was said to have only one weakness and lightsabers have been shown to be frustrated in the movies and outright defeated in the EU by several materials I'm more inclined to lean toward the Ring's camp.

This is an argument that is very open to criticism and deconstruction, but then I'm not trying to pass it off as a perfect proposition but rather a feeling.

Exabyte
Originally posted by eezy45
This matter is easily settled: the One Ring can only be destroyed by the fires of Mount Doom, where it was created. That is what everyone knows if he has read or even only watched The Fellowship of the Ring.

In fact, the book also mentions that a mighty dragon's fire (such as Ancalagon's) might destroy the Ring (being "closely related" to Mount Doom's fire).

A lightsaber, on the other hand, is essentially a normal handweapon (albeit a rare and powerful one), and definitely not empowered with the hellfire required to destroy the Ring (if it can be destroyed at all: I would rather say it can only be undone, not broken).

RE: Blaxican
For that argument to work you would need proof that it's the magical aspect of the dragon's fire that would destroy the ring, and not simply the heat.

Omega Vision
^From what I recall of that passage there was no real hint that even Ancalagon could have destroyed the ring if he'd still been extant.

Exabyte
You're right, I just re-read the passage; it says "It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself."

I only had the first part in my memory, not the second.

The passage, however, also clarifies that "simply the heat" does not suffice (since it suggests that dragon's fire is hot enough to burn rings of Power - which seems to be true, thinking of the Dwarves' rings' destinies -, but does not suffice to break Sauron's power in the One Ring).

dadudemon
Originally posted by Exabyte
You're right, I just re-read the passage; it says "It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough; nor was there ever any dragon, not even Ancalagon the Black, who could have harmed the One Ring, the Ruling Ring, for that was made by Sauron himself."

I only had the first part in my memory, not the second.

The passage, however, also clarifies that "simply the heat" does not suffice (since it suggests that dragon's fire is hot enough to burn rings of Power - which seems to be true, thinking of the Dwarves' rings' destinies -, but does not suffice to break Sauron's power in the One Ring).

This is where I was going with it. There's no amount of heat that can destroy it.

But I wonder...is there a limit at which it can resist? Meaning...something that is millions of degrees? Or is that a limits fallacy: meaning I am applying an arbitrary limit to the durability of the one ring.

Bigon
The One Ring is a magical artefact. Its spell was forged in Mount Doom, so that is where its spell can be undone. In Middle Earth, it can only be destroyed in Mount Doom.

Superherovandal
Originally posted by dadudemon
This is where I was going with it. There's no amount of heat that can destroy it.

But I wonder...is there a limit at which it can resist? Meaning...something that is millions of degrees? Or is that a limits fallacy: meaning I am applying an arbitrary limit to the durability of the one ring. There is nothing in Middle Earth other than Mount Doom that can destroy the ring. They even said that Ancalagon's fire wouldn't damage it and he's the most powerful dragon of them all.

the ninjak
No. A light saber cannot cut or damage the one ring.

mansoor
What is written inside the ring? Does it have any messages?

Exabyte

elrond72
That is the language of Mordor which should not be uttered here

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.