What If?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
In 1972, The U.S found enough oil in Canada to satiate the world's oil supply and did not need Middle Eastern oil from that moment until current history. How will world history have changed?

dadudemon
To answer the question, we would have guzzled it even faster and we would not have ever gone into Iraq or protected Kuwait.

In fact, Kuwait may not have ever been invaded. lol

hahaha

WTF.

So much crap would have changed that it is unbelievable.

What if we never got into oil, to begin with and we figured out a quick and clean way to make photovoltaic cells? Then everything would be run off of solar panels.

Deja~vu
What if aliens come here in 2012?

Lord Lucien
What if I save a whole bunch of money by switching to Geico?

Deja~vu
lol

inimalist
Originally posted by Lestov16
In 1972, The U.S found enough oil in Canada to satiate the world's oil supply and did not need Middle Eastern oil from that moment until current history. How will world history have changed?

America gets most of its foreign oil from Canada anyways...

the difference would be some people in Alberta would have gotten richer earlier, however, you have essentially described what is current American oil policy, for instance: http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4663

http://www.theoildrum.com/files/Petroleum%20Product%20Imports%207%20countries.png

While SA and Iraq do supply a good amount, the Canadian tar sands are the second largest oil deposit on the planet. If Iraq and SA were no longer part of that chart, Canada, Venezuela and Mexico, but especially Canada, could fairly easily make up the difference

There is a major difference between securing global supplies of a resource and where one gets their own supplies of that resource. American power tries to control oil supplies, not because they need it now, but because in the future, our oil based society will need it and they don't want to have to compete with the Chinese for it.

ADarksideJedi
It would had been better if we did that.

you get thorns

What if a frog had wings?

Deja~vu
That would be freaky. Flying frogs. OMG. Now I have to go to sleep with this on my mind? lol

dadudemon
Originally posted by inimalist
America gets most of its foreign oil from Canada anyways...

the difference would be some people in Alberta would have gotten richer earlier, however, you have essentially described what is current American oil policy, for instance: http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4663

http://www.theoildrum.com/files/Petroleum%20Product%20Imports%207%20countries.png

While SA and Iraq do supply a good amount, the Canadian tar sands are the second largest oil deposit on the planet. If Iraq and SA were no longer part of that chart, Canada, Venezuela and Mexico, but especially Canada, could fairly easily make up the difference

There is a major difference between securing global supplies of a resource and where one gets their own supplies of that resource. American power tries to control oil supplies, not because they need it now, but because in the future, our oil based society will need it and they don't want to have to compete with the Chinese for it.

I would definitely prefer that we get much more of our foreign oil from Mexico and Canada. Both of those countries are so closely tied to the US that it makes me cringe when I hear idiots say "Made in Mexico? BOYCOTT THAT SHIT!"

alltoomany
Originally posted by you get thorns
What if a frog had wings?

LOL Our ecosystem would be different

LincolnDark
i wonder how much oil is in Alaska

Darth Jello

You're off by a few miles. It's believed that there's twice as much oil in North Dakota than in Saudi Arabia. The answer is history didn't change. Insufficient infrastructure was built to extract the oil, fossil fuels are still dirty, and most domestic oil is earmarked for export. Class-based power structure is based on scarcity of resources. If resources aren't scarce, they'll make them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.