Game of the Year 2011

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

S_D_J

NemeBro
Skyrim, probably followed by either Dark Souls or Arkham City, based on what little I've played of them.

RE: Blaxican
Modern Warfare 3 hands down.

BackFire
The last month has probably been the best month for gaming that I've ever had. Both Arkham City and Skyrim are absolutely amazing examples of the best that this medium is capable of. One of those will surely be my game of the year, choosing which one is going to be near impossible, though. They're both among the best gaming experiences I've had.

Barker
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican

Impediment
Batman: Arkham City by a light year.

the ninjak
Skyrim followed by Arkham City.

Utrigita
Originally posted by the ninjak
Skyrim followed by Arkham City.

Barker
I've only played the first hour or so of Skyrim, and haven't played Arkham City. Or Arkham Asylum actually haermm. Uncharted 3 is great but is really Uncharted 2.5. Great game nonetheless.

Nothing really matches the overall scope of Minecraft but I don't see it winning many GOTY awards. mmm

I'd say Minecraft because there is so much you can do with it. I really hope (either through mods or notch (aka Jeb ermmnone)) quests are added.

S_D_J
I was tempted to put Minecraft up for vote, but since it was still a Beta, not technically released, I couldn't no expression

Originally posted by BackFire
The last month has probably been the best month for gaming that I've ever had. Both Arkham City and Skyrim are absolutely amazing examples of the best that this medium is capable of. One of those will surely be my game of the year, choosing which one is going to be near impossible, though. They're both among the best gaming experiences I've had.

This Fall has been one of the best ever. Most, if not all games up for GOTY, came out this season. What's really interesting though, it's the fact that every single one of them has been a sequel or part of a franchise, No original IP no expression

... Except for Minecraft, but... erm

Overall 2011 has been a great year for gaming, over 25 great games worth anyone's time (not mentioning HD collections)

durno

Peach
Minecraft's been in beta for years, though. It's become one of those things where it being in beta means nothing (especially since you still have to pay to get it, despite it supposedly being beta).

Also, this has made me realize that I've bought and played exactly one new release this year.

Phanteros
The Witcher 2 for me.

ArtificialGlory
None of the games that came out in 2011 that I've played really feel like they deserve my personal GOTY award. I enjoyed(or am still enjoying) Dead Space 2, Anno 2070, Bastion, The Bitcher 2, HoMM 6. Torchlight 2 and Serious Sam 3 are yet to come out, but look fairly promising.

Phanteros
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
None of the games that came out in 2011 that I've played really feel like they deserve my personal GOTY award. I enjoyed(or am still enjoying) Dead Space 2, Anno 2070, Bastion, The Bitcher 2, HoMM 6. Torchlight 2 and Serious Sam 3 are yet to come out, but look fairly promising. lol

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Phanteros
lol

QFT

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Phanteros
lol

Skyrim > The Witcher 2, btw.

Phanteros
Skyrim > The Witcher 2, btw. gvdf5n-zI14

Utrigita
Skyrim > The Witcher 2, btw.

I think that's highly depending on what you expect to get. I too would agree to some degree that Witcher 2 is a better game then Skyrim.

(yeah drag me behind the barn and shoot me)

ArtificialGlory
The reviews don't lie, my friend. Haha, who am I kidding?

It's just such a shame that no 2011 game can get my coveted GOTY award. And I'm not at all hard to please.

Originally posted by Utrigita
I think that's highly depending on what you expect to get. I too would agree to some degree that Witcher 2 is a better game then Skyrim.

(yeah drag me behind the barn and shoot me)

Now why would I do that? Both are mediocre games at best.

NemeBro
You don't really have any understanding of what a mediocre game is then. smile

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by NemeBro
You don't really have any understanding of what a mediocre game is then. smile

A mediocre game is a game that while doesn't give you much in the terms of enjoyment, it keeps you playing with the promise of something better yet to come(it almost never does).

NemeBro
A mediocre game is a game that while doesn't give you much in the terms of enjoyment, it keeps you playing with the promise of something better yet to come(it almost never does). Then your taste is just sub-par, obviously.

ArtificialGlory
Then your taste is just sub-par, obviously.

But taste is so subjective. It can only be objectively bad in the extremes: liking Twilight, Reality TV, Harry Potter, Baseball, Noise Music, Bethesda Games, etc.

Het Teven
I'm leaning slightly towards Bastion, though Xenoblade Chronicles and Portal 2 are definite contenders. Definitely the three most original and artistically brilliant games of the year, Xenoblade Chronicles and Portal 2 in the catagories of storyline and gameplay, respectively, and Bastion in how it integrates the two.

To be fair, Skyrim and its previous iterations' only claims to fame are for having a shit load of things to do. The combat systems are objectively average, the story in the games are practically non-existent and the graphics are above average but not really jaw dropping, on top of that, they tend to be buggy.

So really all the ES games have going for them are a shit ton of quests, lore and options. Not really GotY material, imo.

That being said, I'm tempted to say BF3 is my GotY, but the single player just failed utterly to impress me. I haven't even gotten past the second level.

NemeBro
But taste is so subjective. Not if I say it's not.

Smasandian
I usually choose my Game of Year based on how much I play it, how fun it is and if anything annoys me. As well, I choose it based on how many times I play the game and I don't look at the clock or wonder where my time is.

It's not critical in any means but that's what I do.

So I picked Skyrim. It has it's faults (though the combat system is perfectly fine) but overall, the game is fantastic.

Other games on my list are Portal 2, Crysis 2, Forza 4 and BF3.

Zack Fair
Battlefield 3 is my GOTY. No I don't take single player into consideration.

Will start Arkham City this weekend, but doubt it will make me choose it over BF3.

BackFire
To be fair, Skyrim and its previous iterations' only claims to fame are for having a shit load of things to do. The combat systems are objectively average, the story in the games are practically non-existent and the graphics are above average but not really jaw dropping, on top of that, they tend to be buggy.

So really all the ES games have going for them are a shit ton of quests, lore and options. Not really GotY material, imo.

That being said, I'm tempted to say BF3 is my GotY, but the single player just failed utterly to impress me. I haven't even gotten past the second level.

I feel that Skyrim fixes every problem you mentioned. It is miles better than Oblivion, and it doesn't just have a ton of content this time, it has a ton of excellent content.

Impediment
I wish I could comment on Skyrim, but it's just not my cup of tea. While it looks like a very beautiful and engrossing game, I've never been into the wizards/warriors/dragons genre.

XanatosForever
Portal 2 gets my vote, but that's more or less because I just beat it and the first one within the last month or so. Funtastic experience, though. SPAAAAAAACEE!

NemeBro
Originally posted by BackFire
I feel that Skyrim fixes every problem you mentioned. It is miles better than Oblivion, and it doesn't just have a ton of content this time, it has a ton of excellent content. Indeed.

The combat is simple, streamlined, and much more enjoyable, the storyline thus far seems to be much better than Oblivion (As well as the various plotlines weaved into all the extra content), the game world is among the most beautiful and stunning I have seen (Dark Souls rivals it in that regard in terms of 2011 games), Bethesda seriously stepped their game up in the transition from Oblivion.

Smasandian
The sidequests in Skyrim are ridiculously good.

ozz81
Arkham asylum is awsome !

NemeBro
Originally posted by Smasandian
The sidequests in Skyrim are ridiculously good. Indeed, it really all adds up to make the world feel more alive.

Stoic
Skyrim is my GOTY by far. It's heads and shoulders above anything that I expected it to be.

BloodRawEngine
More the Demon's/Dark Souls type, personally. Call it masochism, but my fondest memories in Demon's Souls involved either tearing off one of my shirts, or defeating my first Black Phantom invader after having all my armor and weapons broken in addition to catching the plague while surrounded by Silver Skeletons.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten around to actually playing either Dark Souls or Skyrim, though I admit Dark Souls is a priority now that I'd finally paid off and purchased Skyward Sword, which as a candidate so far hasn't presented any glaring problems for me to say otherwise, but I've just been dickin' around taking my time the past two days. Kinda feel the same way I did when I first played Okami. Which is by all accounts a good thing.

Genrewise, Mortal Kombat's probably become my favorite fighter this generation and for much of the past gen since Soul Calibur 2. Dumps all over MvC3 for damn sure, so I hope for the latter's sake that Ultimate is a decent improvement.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Battlefield 3 is my GOTY. No I don't take single player into consideration.

Will start Arkham City this weekend, but doubt it will make me choose it over BF3.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/scanners/punch.gif

Arkham City is the GOTY.

Digi

Cosigned. I friggin love Skyrim, but I won't allow that to make me ignore its faults. It may win some GotY awards, but it'll be because fanaticism blinds the fanbase. It may also be the one I personally enjoy the most, but that doesn't mean it would get my vote.

Haven't played BF3's multiplayer enough to say for sure. I've heard complimentary things about it in comparison to CoD though.

Portal 2 couldn't capture the wow factor of the first one. It was slick and awesome, but was lacking the ZOMG factor even with the new gimmicks. If the first one had the length and narrative of the second one, it could've/should've/would've won a lot of GotY's.

Minecraft deserves attention. It's the only one that you can point to and show exactly how it did something truly original and/or had a lasting impact on the development of games in the future (because, really, many will attempt to copy its appeal).

Batman and Zelda are likely candidates, but I can't speak from experience. I won't be getting Batman for a month or two.

Bardock42
I'd probably choose Portal 2.

Nephthys
Swtor. shifty

Digi
Originally posted by Nephthys
Swtor. shifty

Clearly this ended the discussion. I don't know quite what that says about the game.

wink

Lord Lucien
Swtor. shifty Every time I see this acronym I keep calling it 'sweater'.

Cyner
I'm between Skyward Sword and Skyrim

the only problem is that one of those I probably won't be able to play till the end of the year.

Honestly I have very thoroughly enjoyed the new LoZ title. It's much more than I expected in very good ways. I almost skipped fighting game night to keep playing it and did end up late because of it.

I was able to play about an hour worth of Skyrim but even with that I liked what I saw of it and already have two characters I plan on playing through.

Right now I'd have to go with the pleasant surprise of goodness, Skyward Sword. However once I am able to obtain a copy of Skyrim that may change.

Zack Fair
Arkham FKN. City

Deal with it. uhuh

Cyner
just checked the results... lol who voted for GoW3?

S_D_J
someone who mistook it for God of War 3, perhaps?

big grin

Ridley_Prime
Even though God of War 3 was from 2010 and not this year?

Kazenji
Originally posted by S_D_J
someone who mistook it for God of War 3, perhaps?

big grin

Or not erm

Zack Fair
Gears 3 > God of War 3

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltnsr61iwA1qc1c6q.gif

S_D_J
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Even though God of War 3 was from 2010 and not this year?

Just a silly joke stick out tongue

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Gears 3 > God of War 3

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltnsr61iwA1qc1c6q.gif

God of War 3 > Arkham City 313

http://gifs.imgdumpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/deal-with-it.gif

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
God of War 3 > Arkham City 313

http://gifs.imgdumpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/deal-with-it.gif

http://i48.tinypic.com/zlaqdd.gif

uhuhuhuh

TheGoldenSpy
Arkham City by far.

Dark Souls for runner up.

Skyrim doesn't even factor. Dark souls pretty much ruined this game for me. Who cares how much content or quests a game has if the gameplay is terrible? I mean, don't get mad guys, but in Dark souls the skill of the player is more of a factor than the level of the player. You can pretty much beat the game with a soul level of 1 if you are skilled enough. In skyrim, All that matters is how much experience you have to be able to take and dish damage to enemies. It's basically a one player mmo. Dark souls is much more challenging.

Oh, and the Dragons in Skyrim are about as powerful as the common baby dragons in Dark Souls.

Cyner
well if you are looking for such a challenge then that's what you prefer. Because I play fighting games all the challenges I need are my human opponents. For me single player games are about the adventure and story. If I want challenge I look to my fellow humans.

Skyrim is a great big adventure that I'm more than willing to enjoy.

Burning thought
Originally posted by TheGoldenSpy
Arkham City by far.

Dark Souls for runner up.

Skyrim doesn't even factor. Dark souls pretty much ruined this game for me. Who cares how much content or quests a game has if the gameplay is terrible? I mean, don't get mad guys, but in Dark souls the skill of the player is more of a factor than the level of the player. You can pretty much beat the game with a soul level of 1 if you are skilled enough. In skyrim, All that matters is how much experience you have to be able to take and dish damage to enemies. It's basically a one player mmo. Dark souls is much more challenging.

Oh, and the Dragons in Skyrim are about as powerful as the common baby dragons in Dark Souls.

What? laughing the gameplay in Skyrim is terrible? what skill? how much skill do I need in Dark souls to put my indestructable shield on and spam crystal soulmass? nothing, I can get through any part of the game without having any threat of being harmed. Dark souls is no more challenging than any scripted and predictable action game. It was a good game dont get me wrong, completed it many times but trying to claim that experiance cannot make you godly in Dark souls is lulzy.

common baby dragons? what ones? I dont think any common enemy in dark souls is comparable to a Skyrim dragon, not that you have probably fought many to be able to compare.

srankmissingnin
Between Portal 2 and Uncharted 3 for me. I might have bumped Skyrim into the mix, unfortunately I got it on the PS3 (laaaaaaaaaaaaaaag) and I like playing in 3rd person view, and for some reason my character no longer has a ****ing head. On top of that like Fallout, the game freezes and crashes all the time but at least I haven't encountered any game breaking bugs... although my characters is only level 25 though, so I guess there is still time. Skyrim is a ton of fun but with the massive amount of bugs and glitches I just can't bring myself to justify it being a GOTY contender.

TheGoldenSpy
I NEVER said it couldn't make you godly, but it takes a long time to gain that much experience. And the average player will be challenged getting to that level. Skyrim is casual filth in comparison to dark souls. Lol there is no damn indestructible shield and you'll die faster than a slug in a bag of salt if you tried that strategy with any undead soldier let alone any invading black phantom.

There is damn near nothing to skyrims combat other than having a high enough level. You basically just spam magic or run up to and Wack away at an enemy in a hilariously unrealistic depiction of a sword fight. Yes I'm angry because I fell for the hype and wasted 60 bucks.Unlike dark souls where even if you don't have the highest stats or the best weapons you can still kill anything with enough patience and precise timing. In skyrim, a mace and a sword might as well be the same weapon, unlike dark souls where there are dozens of unique weapons that have different damage and magical effects and play much differently.

The hellkite draken is at least five times bigger than most dragons in skyrim and the hydra suboss has seven heads each bigger than any dragon in skyrim period. I've seen giants kill the weakling dragons in skyrim.

You see bt, unlike you, I don't hate my life. I play games for the entertainment and the challenge. Dark souls is a game that focuses on the gameplay, not silly features like marriage or buying houses or boring endless search and retrieve missions or other things that are meant to make the player feel like a special little snowflake, those games are for folk like you.

I play games because of gameplay , not for a virtual reality

You are, literally retarded, aren't you?

TheGoldenSpy
^
Mad skyrim fanboy

FinalAnswer
I NEVER said it couldn't make you godly, but it takes a long time to gain that much experience. And the average player will be challenged getting to that level. Skyrim is casual filth in comparison to dark souls. Lol there is no damn indestructible shield and you'll die faster than a slug in a bag of salt if you tried that strategy with any undead soldier let alone any invading black phantom.

There is damn near nothing to skyrims combat other than having a high enough level. You basically just spam magic or run up to and Wack away at an enemy in a hilariously unrealistic depiction of a sword fight. Yes I'm angry because I fell for the hype and wasted 60 bucks.Unlike dark souls where even if you don't have the highest stats or the best weapons you can still kill anything with enough patience and precise timing. In skyrim, a mace and a sword might as well be the same weapon, unlike dark souls where there are dozens of unique weapons that have different damage and magical effects and play much differently.

The hellkite draken is at least five times bigger than most dragons in skyrim and the hydra suboss has seven heads each bigger than any dragon in skyrim period. I've seen giants kill the weakling dragons in skyrim.

You see bt, unlike you, I don't hate my life. I play games for the entertainment and the challenge. Dark souls is a game that focuses on the gameplay, not silly features like marriage or buying houses or boring endless search and retrieve missions or other things that are meant to make the player feel like a special little snowflake, those games are for folk like you.

Let me just say, if the dragons are anything like they are in Demon's Souls, your opinion is objectively wrong.

NemeBro
GoldenSpy, don't act like a pissy little girl and make personal attacks, even if you feel BT provoked you, or whatever.

Edit: Blax didn't like Oblivion, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't played Skyrim.

So once again, stop being a pissy little girl.

^
Mad skyrim fanboy I haven't even played Skyrim, lol. Try harder.

TheGoldenSpy
So your a burning though fanboy, that's much better.

So your a burning though fanboy, that's much better. I'm a "Goldenspy is a Retard" fanboy, tbh. you're*, btw.

Nephthys
Burning thought* btw.

NemeBro
Blax with the smash, Nephthys with the assist?

Nephthys
We are tighter than peanut butter and cheese. Eternal allies yo.

We're not just friends, and we're not just lovers. We're partners.

TheGoldenSpy
I know truth hurts but it can't numb you to the point of make you a retard. Everything I said about skyrim is true. If minority combo hasn't played the game then he has no way of knowing if what I said is true or false, which means he pretty much threw one of his temper tantrums at me for no reason, take your meds bro, and neme you called me out for taking a jab at bt but you cheer blax for doing the same at me, please ram an obelisk up your corn hole.

Keep Enjoying your threesome though guys.

"Skryim has bad gameplay because it's not stupidly difficult like Dark Souls" isn't a valid point in any kind of logic circle. Going on to then say that someone has no life because they like to play games that have features that different from yours is the penultimate of retardation. Why you mad, bro? You started the discussion.

TheGoldenSpy
It's not bad on comparison to just dark souls, it's bad in comparison to everything. Even modern warfare is more stimulating. Do you think a game with such utterly simplistic combat is good? Does the fact you have to explore countless dungeons and spend well over 90 hours doing the the same boring repetitive uninteresting combat somehow make it better, let alone Goty?

I'm not trying to sound super skilled or hardcore calling skyrim shallow, but skyrim is rediculously shallow, to the point where I am genuinely baffled at how someone can honestly enjoy playing it.

It's abundantly clear that the focus of skyrim is to distract them to the point where the player forgets about their own life and invest 300+ hours in a virtual reality.

Dark souls is like a skateboard, skyrim is like an action figure, ney worse, it's like one of those baby dolls you can dress up and carry around.

NemeBro
I know truth hurts but it can't numb you to the point of make you a retard. Everything I said about skyrim is true. If minority combo hasn't played the game then he has no way of knowing if what I said is true or false, which means he pretty much threw one of his temper tantrums at me for no reason, take your meds bro, and neme you called me out for taking a jab at bt but you cheer blax for doing the same at me, please ram an obelisk up your corn hole.

Keep Enjoying your threesome though guys.

I called you out for being a whiny pissy little girl and throwing a massive temper tantrum over what BT said (Which really wasn't that provocative). You went on to essentially categorise a group of gamers who enjoy a certain type of game as being people who have no lives, which makes you look ignorant and butthurt (About something, not sure what).

Your "argument" for why Dark Souls is better than Skyrim (Not an opinion I would try to argue by the way, since it would probably be my second choice for game of the year after Skyrim, Demon's Souls is IMO one of the best games ever made) essentially consisted of "It's not as hard as Dark Souls". Okay. Maybe you like a game for that. That's fine. But you're faulting others for not apparently looking for that in a game.

Also, I have to admit, I find your notion that Skyrim's depiction of a swordfight is "unrealistic" fairly amusing. Demon's/Dark Souls have choreographed, stylised sword/weapons combat that is a poor representation of IRL weapon abilities. Granted, I am fine with that, realism be damned for the sake of fun, but at least make a passing attempt to know what it is you are talking about.

It's not bad on comparison to just dark souls, it's bad in comparison to everything. Even modern warfare is more stimulating. Do you think a game with such utterly simplistic combat is good? Does the fact you have to explore countless dungeons and spend well over 90 hours doing the the same boring repetitive uninteresting combat somehow make it better, let alone Goty?

I'm not trying to sound super skilled or hardcore calling skyrim shallow, but skyrim is rediculously shallow, to the point where I am genuinely baffled at how someone can honestly enjoy playing it. Have you ever thought that maybe that type of game just doesn't appeal to you, personally? It's combat isn't any less deep than any turn based combat game like Final Fantasy, or an RPG like KOTOR, where you just point and click all day. It's called a "genre".

TheGoldenSpy
Turn based RPGs are pretty much dead and nothing in skyrims genre means it needs to be so crappy , plenty of wRPGs have decent gameplay.

NemeBro
Skyrim's better than any of those games though.

Certainly better than Dark Souls, what with having tedius, repetitive boss fights, and boring dragon fights.

Nephthys
The Shin Megami Tensei games prove that turn based gameplay isn't as dead as you'd think.

Persona 4 >>> Demon Souls.

NemeBro
No it's not.

Adachi is a sissy girl.

Nephthys
Kind of. Disco Ball God and Final Boss: Gas Station Attendant aren't though.

NemeBro
Final Boss: Gas Station Attendant is the worst part of the game though. Adachi was a far superior antagonist, and after him GSA is a pathetic newb.

jalek moye
Not sure what my game of the year is, but it's not Skyrim, even though I'm enjoying it. Too much i dislike like for it to be my GOTY

Nephthys
Final Boss: Gas Station Attendant is the worst part of the game though. Adachi was a far superior antagonist, and after him GSA is a pathetic newb.

Until I was told how Adachi is supposed to be a dark inverse of Souji (Er, or 'Yu' now I guess. Protagonist Man!) I thought he was really lame. He barely did anything! I liked Gas Station Attendant though. It was a nice bit of mythology and I like how they set her up right at the start so you'd forget about her after the 80+ hours the game takes. Plus the bit where she kills the entire party is f*cking chilling.

NemeBro
I've never played Persona 4.

Nephthys
Then you are bad and you should feel bad.

NemeBro
FinalAnswer has however spoiled a signifigant chunk of the game's information.

Adachi being the killer is a spoiler? Lolno, apparently.

Nephthys
http://www.kyon.pl/static/img/remiq.net_14088.jpg

NemeBro
cry

Nephthys
If you don't intend to play Persona 4 you should at least watch Hiimdaisy's parody of it. You'll never be able to take P4 seriously again but that doesn't matter for you.

Also it is COMPLETELY FVCKING HILARIOUS.

Cyner
man forget all this... Skyward Sword is requiring a second playthrough.

NemeBro
If you don't intend to play Persona 4 you should at least watch Hiimdaisy's parody of it. You'll never be able to take P4 seriously again but that doesn't matter for you.

Also it is COMPLETELY FVCKING HILARIOUS.

I've actually read it.

Dojima needs to spend some time with Nanako and stop drinking with Adachi. D:

TheGoldenSpy
Ah, So you called me a little girls cause I struck a nerve a little too close to home. Ok. I understand now.

List 5 non-casual reason why Skyrim is better than Dark souls. None of you can. I, however can list reasons why Dark souls is better than Skyrim.

1.Multiplayer. When A game has multiplayer, it automatically becomes better, as there is more game to master and more people can play together.

2.Boss Fights. The bosses in Dark souls are all unique designed enemies with different attack patterns and weapons. In Skyrim, bosses are just a variation of a human or creature with a special name and higher than average health. LOL if boss fights in Dark Souls are tedious I wonder what that means for Skyrim

3.Enemies, There are tons of different enemies and each of them bring something unique to the table, Undead knights will swarm you, basalisks will poison you, white robed ninja's will throw shit at you and dodge your attacks, Magicians will use thier sorcery against you. Most of the enemies in Skyrim fight the same way, Attack 2 times, pause, attack 2 times pause.

4.Weapons, As explained before, there are alot of different types of weapons and shields in the game, as well as magic attacks.

5. Gameplay, You can block, dodge, bait, sneak, parry much smoother in Dark souls than in Skyrim. This is one of the more obvious reasons why Dark Souls is better and anyone who has played both would know this.

6. Zombie Dragons
This is self explanatory.

Put simply, Dark Souls is an objectively better game, and this isn't an opinion. It's FACT. Prove me wrong,

oh that's right, you can't.

You may PREFERE Skyrim for some wacky unknown reason, but that doesn't make it better. Anyone who thinks all games are made equally are naive.

I explained why I was mad in the second post ITT.

ares834
1.Multiplayer. When A game has multiplayer, it automatically becomes better, as there is more game to master and more people can play together.

Not true at all.

If you played Skyrim you would certainly know they are not tedious.

Hmmm... I'm assuming you must have gotten five minutes into the game then. Skyrim's enemies have far more variety. Although you are right Dark Souls had more.

Same as with Skyrim...

Uh no I wouldn't. I found Dark Souls gameplay to be clunky and slow.

Almost every dragon in Skyrim is undead.

The critics certainly disagree...

TheGoldenSpy
Originally posted by ares834
Not true at all.

Hmmm... I'm assuming you must have gotten five minutes into the game then. Skyrim's enemies have far more variety. Although you are right Dark Souls had more.

Same as with Skyrim...

The critics certainly disagree...

Yes.

Anything is boring with that gameplay.

Glad you agree.

Nope.

I found the gameplay in Skyrim to be Crap.

Not the same, they all look healthy and alive, the ones in Dark souls are literally decaying dragons that spew poison.

The critics are far beyond corrupt. They are not to be trusted.

NemeBro
Ah, So you called me a little girls cause I struck a nerve a little too close to home. Ok. I understand now.

Well no it's because you were being a whiny little girl.

Don't get me wrong though, this posturing you're doing, and the assumption that I could give a single shit what you think about a game I like, is pretty amusing in of itself.

How do you define casual?

Oh wow, you ****ed up right off the bat with this one. There are many people who would disagree with this notion, it is one of the most subjective traits a game can have. Trying to claim it as objective just weakens your "argument" as a whole.

Funny, the bosses I've managed to fight in Dark Souls consisted of me jumping on their heads with an axe until they died.

Of course, Dark Souls does have better "bosses" than Skyrim, partly because Skyrim doesn't really have "bosses" like Dark Souls does.

Bandits will swarm you, Frostbite Spiders will poison you, Ice Wraiths can dodge your attacks (Or rather, their natural movement makes them relatively difficult to hit), magicians will use spells on who (Gee, big surprise there, huh?). All in Skyrim.

Try harder, though, yes, Dark Souls does have superior enemy variety, and considering the type of game it is, it should.

Agreed, compared to Skyrim.

If Dark Souls, being a game which focuses on combat, didn't do that better than Skyrim, it would be pathetic. Wow, your posts are like, so intelligent and insightful, what's next! Are you going to tell me that Streetfighter has better and more fluid fighting mechanics than Skyrim?

I haven't yet fought a dragon in Dark Souls.

Please tell me: Are the dragons in Dark Souls as boring and tedious to "fight" as they were in Demon's Souls?

That's so cute! You think your opinion matters, or that the reasons you like a game are superior to the reasons others do.

1. Skyrim has a more intricate and developed setting than Dark Souls.

2. Skyrim has superior roleplaying options than Dark Souls (Though that's not exactly hard to do, and is one of the flaws in Skyrim that the roleplaying aspect is not intricate enough, funny, that Skyrim's main glaring weakness is something it does better than Dark Souls).

3. Skyrim has more unique characters and a more detailed/nuanced plot/writing to Dark Souls (Again, not really hard to do. The "Souls" series is not a writing-centered game).

4. Skyrim, obviously, has much, much, much more content than Dark Souls. The world is larger, and is more densely packed with details and content, while also being more lively and dynamic in terms of being a game world than Dark Souls (Granted, this is partially because Dark Souls' world is, well you know, dead).

5. Combat in Skyrim is more fast-paced and dynamic. While Dark Souls possesses more subtle nuances and intricacy in its gameplay, at times it is indeed, clunky and slow, whereas in Skyrim you are typically always moving, acting, and it feels more "epic" than Dark Souls, which once again brings us again to personal preference: Do you prefer precise, calculated, patience in your combat, or epic clashes with legions of foes or a single strong foe? I personally believe both approaches are good, for the games they are in. In Dark Souls you exist in an unforgiving world, where you progress and succeed not through might, but through tact and patience. Skyrim is largely the opposite (Overall), in that you are meant to be an epic hero of legend, and as such the streamlined gameplay reflects that accordingly. I like both.

6. Skyrim has more options for building a character, obviously. In Dark Souls, your options are essentially limited to "In what ways do you want to make your characters dead?", and you basically had access to a variety of weapons and spells to use in a stand-up fight. Skyrim has options for pure combat, or a stealthier character, a mage, and hybrids of said builds, with many different ways to go about playing the game. Dark Souls is, ultimately, a more limiting game.

You'll note that I, much more rationally than you, acknowledged both game's strengths and weaknesses, what both games have that the others do not, and evaluated them accordingly, before adding my own personal preferences into the equation to infer that, yes, I prefer Skyrim to Dark Souls, but that does not mean Dark Souls is some objectively worse game (As a matter of fact, I very much love it so). I hold no issue with you liking Dark Souls better, but the notion that Skyrim is some objectively bad game, with Dark Souls being objectively moreso, does nothing more than make you look bad.

I, of course, have little hope that your next response won't be some variation of what you said to BT, about how these things that I like in a game are "less important" or "irrelevant," and about how I don't have a life due to enjoying these aspects in a game. Sadly, this will only make you look like more of a fool.

Baw.

Anyway, it's really late, I'm heading to bed.

Night ya'll.

TheGoldenSpy
Well no it's because you were being a whiny little girl.

Don't get me wrong though, this posturing you're doing, and the assumption that I could give a single shit what you think about a game I like, is pretty amusing in of itself.

How do you define casual?

Oh wow, you ****ed up right off the bat with this one. There are many people who would disagree with this notion, it is one of the most subjective traits a game can have. Trying to claim it as objective just weakens your "argument" as a whole.

Funny, the bosses I've managed to fight in Dark Souls consisted of me jumping on their heads with an axe until they died.

Of course, Dark Souls does have better "bosses" than Skyrim, partly because Skyrim doesn't really have "bosses" like Dark Souls does.

Bandits will swarm you, Frostbite Spiders will poison you, Ice Wraiths can dodge your attacks (Or rather, their natural movement makes them relatively difficult to hit), magicians will use spells on who (Gee, big surprise there, huh?). All in Skyrim.

Try harder, though, yes, Dark Souls does have superior enemy variety, and considering the type of game it is, it should.

Agreed, compared to Skyrim.

If Dark Souls, being a game which focuses on combat, didn't do that better than Skyrim, it would be pathetic. Wow, your posts are like, so intelligent and insightful, what's next! Are you going to tell me that Streetfighter has better and more fluid fighting mechanics than Skyrim?

I haven't yet fought a dragon in Dark Souls.

Please tell me: Are the dragons in Dark Souls as boring and tedious to "fight" as they were in Demon's Souls?

That's so cute! You think your opinion matters, or that the reasons you like a game are superior to the reasons others do.

1. Skyrim has a more intricate and developed setting than Dark Souls.

2. Skyrim has superior roleplaying options than Dark Souls (Though that's not exactly hard to do, and is one of the flaws in Skyrim that the roleplaying aspect is not intricate enough, funny, that Skyrim's main glaring weakness is something it does better than Dark Souls).

3. Skyrim has more unique characters and a more detailed/nuanced plot/writing to Dark Souls (Again, not really hard to do. The "Souls" series is not a writing-centered game).

4. Skyrim, obviously, has much, much, much more content than Dark Souls. The world is larger, and is more densely packed with details and content, while also being more lively and dynamic in terms of being a game world than Dark Souls (Granted, this is partially because Dark Souls' world is, well you know, dead).

5. Combat in Skyrim is more fast-paced and dynamic. While Dark Souls possesses more subtle nuances and intricacy in its gameplay, at times it is indeed, clunky and slow, whereas in Skyrim you are typically always moving, acting, and it feels more "epic" than Dark Souls, which once again brings us again to personal preference: Do you prefer precise, calculated, patience in your combat, or epic clashes with legions of foes or a single strong foe? I personally believe both approaches are good, for the games they are in. In Dark Souls you exist in an unforgiving world, where you progress and succeed not through might, but through tact and patience. Skyrim is largely the opposite (Overall), in that you are meant to be an epic hero of legend, and as such the streamlined gameplay reflects that accordingly. I like both.

6. Skyrim has more options for building a character, obviously. In Dark Souls, your options are essentially limited to "In what ways do you want to make your characters dead?", and you basically had access to a variety of weapons and spells to use in a stand-up fight. Skyrim has options for pure combat, or a stealthier character, a mage, and hybrids of said builds, with many different ways to go about playing the game. Dark Souls is, ultimately, a more limiting game.

You'll note that I, much more rationally than you, acknowledged both game's strengths and weaknesses, what both games have that the others do not, and evaluated them accordingly, before adding my own personal preferences into the equation to infer that, yes, I prefer Skyrim to Dark Souls, but that does not mean Dark Souls is some objectively worse game (As a matter of fact, I very much love it so). I hold no issue with you liking Dark Souls better, but the notion that Skyrim is some objectively bad game, with Dark Souls being objectively moreso, does nothing more than make you look bad.

I, of course, have little hope that your next response won't be some variation of what you said to BT, about how these things that I like in a game are "less important" or "irrelevant," and about how I don't have a life due to enjoying these aspects in a game. Sadly, this will only make you look like more of a fool.

Baw.

Anyway, it's really late, I'm heading to bed.

Night ya'll.

You called me that because as soon as accurately described the fan base for such games you felt a sharp pain in your buttocks region and decided to get back at me for it, just admit it.

You obviously do care a great deal since you apparently you can't sleep without telling me off first.

I'd rather define what is and what is not hardcore. Graphics are not hardcore (Unless in the rare case they enhance the game, like splinter cell), story does not make a game hardcore, music does not make a game hardcore, aesthetic preferences (I like the world of Dark Souls alot better) is not hardcore, filler content (IE most of the "quests" in skyrim) is not hardcore.

What is hardcore? Genuine challenge, Gameplay options, intricate level design, in other words, things that STIMULATE THE BRAIN doofus, That's why the first gamers created games, Things that test your ability to think, plan and act, things that keep you on your toes and once you conquer those challenges, you feel an inner feeling of satisfaction with yourself. From the first enemy I killed in Dark souls I felt that, in the 40 hours I played Skyrim I never felt such feelings. It just feels like a game that's meant to give the illusion of social status to distract from the lack of challenging gameplayy. Skyrim is a casual game for casual scumbags such as yourself and you make me sick to my stomach, i'd smash you video games if I could get away with it.

Fighting against another living, breathing human being is the ultimate test in pretty much any form of competition, there is no way having the OPTION to play with people is anything other than good, especially with the awesome way it's implemented in Dark Souls.

You agree, smart boy you are. Well maybe not, this is pretty obvious to anyone with a brain cell.

You agree again here.

Again here.

Bottom line, both are mythological games with similer settings with similer creatures where the only form of interacting with the game is through sword fighting. The excuse that Skyrim should get a free pass because it doesn't focus on combat is a terrible one,

Why do YOU think they spent time designing all those weapons? Why do you believe they though we should all get excited with the inclusion of dragons, what did you THINK we were going to do in all those endless amount of dungeons? What do we spend the majority amount of time doing in Skyrim? It's fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE4vRk-2mjA
That's a sub-boss.

1.That doesn't add anything to the game, and Dark souls has tons of variety in it's setting anyways.

BEEP Failed

2.Okay, this might be a valid reason, though all that talking get's boring but I guess that counts.

BOOP One Point!

3.LOL casual reason. At the end of a day, once you finish the game, if the gameplay isn't good you won't want to go through 300+ hours of the same crap for a mediocre story (Skyrim is hardly anything special as far as story, characters or voice acting)

BEEP Failed

4. Yeah, tons of content, but it's all casual content, and if you mean replay value, Dark souls has NG+ and Multiplayer so it's got Skyrim beat there too. A world being lively doesn't mean anything. I've seen casual games with dead worlds, hardcore games with lively worlds.

BEEP Failed

5. LOL that's a stretch. Basically what you are admitting here is that Dark souls does indeed rely on the PLAYERS skill and their ability to plan and execute where Skyrim you basically have to grind to the required level and run up to and melee as fast and mindlessly as you can, while pausing in between battle to use up a potion. And somehow this is epic? No, Picking apart a sworm of undead legionaries is epic, shallow gameplay is not.

Note that I do not have very high standards for decent gameplay, Anything Zelda level or above is good, Skyrim isn't even that good.

BEEP

TERRIBLE argument. I'm taking away two points for that one

6. Not really a reason why skyrim is better, Dark souls has just as many builds and options available. Skyrim ultimately loses for having worse gameplay.

BEEP

I'll be the nice guy I am and give you a reason, MODS on PC, that's a hardcore reason helps out skyrim, but not by much.

Let's count that, 2 out of six points, you FAILED the challenge, like I expected. But at least you tried

Being rational has nothing to do with making up reasons why to make a bad game look better with some mental gymnastics. It has to do with calling out things the way they are, like me. In the end, Dark souls is on another level, and games like Skyrim are making the world a dumber place.

It's really late? What are you? 12? Did you get saturday school young man?

ArtificialGlory
Why fight over which game is better? Both Skyrim and Dark Souls suck ass. Hell, none of the games released in 2011 deserve a GOTY award.

Though I must admit I liked the part where you said you'd smash NemeBro's game collection if you could. Truly, such rage can only be quenched by killing hookers.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by ares834
Not true at all.

Same as with Skyrim...

The critics certainly disagree... Eh, I've got to agree with this. After playing both games, I found Skyrim to be more enjoyable overall. Don't get me wrong, Dark Souls is an outstanding game. Skyrim just outdoes it.

Burning thought

One playthrough, if that...half a playthrough. i was pretty much unstoppable after my first playthrough, hell I did not have trouble past the first 30 minutes of the game. So either your not very good at Dark souls or you rarely play Skyrim to know anything about it. laughing you dont even know Dark souls it seems, never heard of "strong magic shield"? Go play more Dark souls.

Also all of that is pure ignorance especially when your comparing it to Dark souls, a game where you literally can just spam one attack to win.

The hellkite dragon is a fully scripted encounter that you dont even have to fight, that cannot even attack you if you know what your doing and can be trolled to death,literally. Yeh, and each of those heads get blocked by the characters dinky shield, have terrilbe aim and get hacked off in one or two hits. repetition of the most medicore kind imo, I enjoyed Dark souls so I wouldnt say its boring but I couldnt have played it 6/7 times through if I knew Skyrim was on my PC upstairs at the time.

No, Dark souls focuses on claiming "hardcore players buy me!" when really, the only people who cant play it through are those that need auto aim to score shots in competitive FPS. Also you listed some minor side missions in Skyrim, theres no real side missions in Dark souls and the main storyline is fairly boring, the only reason anyone plays it is because the atmosphere is decent and the bosses are fun first time through.

Nephthys
http://rulestweak.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/perk_nerd-rage.png

For the win.

Goldenspy, if we say Dark Souls is better do you promise not to go after our families?

TheGoldenSpy
http://rulestweak.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/perk_nerd-rage.png

For the win.

Goldenspy, if we say Dark Souls is better do you promise not to go after our families?

Yeah

NemeBro
ArtificialGlory, I'm not actually arguing Skyrim is "better" than Dark Souls, which is largely what makes my argument, if you want to call it that, superior to his. I'm acknowledging that both games have strengths and weaknesses relative to one another, and that in this case it can only boil down to preference, but GoldenSpy is so incredibly butthurt and dim-witted that his posts really only boil down to "LOLNO! I is teh right you teh wraung Dark Souls is much bettar harharhar am i kewl nao guise!?"

You called me that because as soon as accurately described the fan base for such games you felt a sharp pain in your buttocks region and decided to get back at me for it, just admit it.

No, I called you that because you are taking this far more seriously than you should, and are continuing to act like (You guessed it), a pissy little girl. You're incredibly butthurt, as anyone with intelligence (Essentially, anyone who is not you) can attest to, for some unknown reason.

I can't help but notice your "argument" largely consists of a series of ad hominem attacks, which really only makes you come off as the child you are.

Try harder.

Cry moar, if I hurt your feelings, it's only because everything I say is true. smile

Ah, the joys of being taking an elitist attitude concerning games! Though when you do that, you should probably try to have a passing knowledge of what constitutes a casual/hardcore game. Dark Souls being more "niche" and hipster than Skyrim does not make it objectively better, silly.

Right, because constant combat, combat, combat, combat, combat is much more mentally stimulating than an in-depth and layered setting, better writing, a more vivid and intricate game world, or superior roleplaying elements, right? No, not right, bad GoldenSpy! I'm trying to educate you on the error of your logic so as to prove Blax wrong, but you're making it very difficult.

Also, I love how you're wanking Dark Souls' supposed "difficulty" and "challenge." I've felt more challenged in Skyrim (On Master difficulty mind you) than I have in Dark Souls (Granted, this may partly be because I am a Demon's Souls veteran), I've stomped through every enemy I've faced in Dark Souls, with some basic maneuvers, for every enemy. Whereas in Skyrim, I've actually had to use some pretty far-out tactics. Like using Fus Roh Dah on a mage on a balcony that had a broken fire staff, before letting other mages set the oil around the balcony on fire, while I was charging and killing them with my greatsword, and as I anticipated the first mage landed in the enflamed oil and died pretty quickly. I died a few times managing that. The only enemy in Dark Souls that gave me trouble the first time was when I fought my first Black Knight early on.

By the way, do so love the ad hominem attacks at the end. Especially since they are inaccurate. If you are going to embarass yourself by using insults as a crutch for your lack of argument, at least try to be accurate about it. I spent IIRC 200 hours on Demon's Souls, but I guess that's a "casual game", lol, what a joke.

Oh, and the notion that you want to smash my games? Man, you are only so willing to further amuse me and demonstrate your butthurt for all to see.

Calm down dude. smile

Since I actually like Dark Souls'/Demon's Souls' multiplayer, I can't bash it, but no, the option of multiplayer can detract from the single player experience in certain games.

Smarter than you anyway.

Probably because I'm not the kind of dumbass who runs around claiming games are objectively worse than other games simply because they strive for different things and do other things better.

Their settings are only "similar" if you ignored basically everything thing about them. Dark Souls is Low/Dark Fantasy primarily, the Elder Scrolls tends towards High/Heroic Fantasy, though it does contain some Dark Fantasy elements at times.

And uh, no, whereas in Dark Souls the only form of interacting with the game is through a head on foit, in Skyrim you can approach making things die in a variety of more ways.

I should probably point out that swordfighting in Skyrim is actually more realistic, as well, which I find just hilarious.

Oh, and I never said that last part, don't strawman me little boy.

If you interpreted my post as meaning "Skyrim isn't that concerned with combat," you were wrong. It however has greater variety in how you approach it, and does actually have options for avoiding it, largely via stealth. As well as having content that doesn't boil down to "Grimdark atmosphere" and "inctricate combat system".

Dodge the lasers and hit it when it melee attacks you.

WOW, WHAT A GROUNDBREAKING ACHIEVEMENT IN BOSS DESIGN!!!

Old King Allant from Demon's Souls was more impressive than that. Granted, Old King Allant is one of my favorite boss fights ever.

A dragon in Skyrim makes a more exciting encounter than that.

No no no, Skyrim, and the Elder Scrolls in general, have a far more all-encompassing, intricate, and layered setting than Dark Souls. Don't get me wrong, Dark Souls' setting is interesting (Demon's Souls was good as well), but in terms of sheer bulk of content, nuance, intricacy, and other faux-intellectual words I don't feel like mentioning, Skyrim is more-so. Once more, not saying Dark Souls' setting is bad, or even inherently inferior.

You also seem to be under the impression that what constitutes as "adding to the game" to others, is objectively false. It's not. Stop being an idiot.

Gets boring to you maybe.

You don't actually know what constitutes casual gaming then. Wii Sports is a casual game. Skyrim is not. Investing hundreds of hours in something because you find the writing/plot suitably epic and heroic and you enjoy the nuance and individuality of the characters isn't a "casual" reason.

Stop being an idiot.

In Skyrim the game technically doesn't end, so... Depends on how you define replay value. Once more, it's not casual content, every side quest is unique from a storyline perspective, and has signifigantly improved on Oblivion in terms of individuality in dungeons (I enter a lot of dungeons looking for one thing and find something else as well, for instance), and while you may not care about Skyrim being a more dynamic, breathing game world, others might. Others have.

Stop being an idiot.

NemeBro
I haven't had to grind in Skyrim once, actually. It all flowed pretty naturally. And lol, as I said above, no, you don't have to melee mindlessly, and doing so can actually easily get you killed. I'm not denying that Dark Souls' gameplay is more intricate and complex, but it's also, once more, clunkier, slow, and gets pretty routine honestly. I circle the dude with a shield and hit him in the back. Wow, how incredibly fulfilling. Compared to Skyrim, which has fluid, fast-paced, streamlined combat.

Once more, it's a matter of preference (I like both, honestly).

I guess that you, being the undisputed champion in terms of terrible arguments, would know.

Stop being an idiot.

Try not to be disingenous. In Dark Souls, all builds revolve around what stat layout you have, and exactly how you plan on making things die in straight-up combat. The core gameplay is largely unchanged, with the main variety being in what weapon you are using at the time (Armour plays a lesser factor).

Whereas in Skyrim, the difference between going pure mage, warrior, and thief/assassin is pretty big. You can easily kill all enemies without being noticed as an assassin (Which is IMO very rewarding).

I don't count mods because doing so would be completely unfair to Dark Souls, and is not part of the game proper.

No I passed, you're just not clever enough to realise this. You also fail to realise that I wasn't trying to say "THIS IS WHY SKYRIM IS OBJECTIVELY THE BETTER GAME".

Right, because, **** all of the shit Skyrim has that Dark Souls doesn't have, not having as intricate and "challenging" gameplay means it's making the world a dumber place, huh!?

Yeah no, Skyrim inspires more creativity and is far more thought-provoking in that fashion than Dark Souls is. Dark Souls is, at the end of the day, a game that focuses entirely on combat, and making an admittedly nice and grim atmosphere. But it does those things well, which make it a good game, but to try to pass yourself off as some faux-intellectual because you are teh supar hardcoar gamer is nothing more than posturing that makes you look like a foolish, sad little boy.

Stop being an idiot. Your "argument" is so riddled with logical fumbles that it's almost sad. Though it's mostly funny.

Well no, I'm not 12, but I'm not one of those weird nightlurking neckbeards who haunt the later hours and never get any sleep.

You probably shouldn't bother responding, I've made you look like the clown you really are, and any further attempts at "refuting" me will only exacerbate this, plus, really, I'm not sure what the point of responding to you would be anymore. At this point it's like beating up a kitten, it's too easy to be rewarding. I can sadly only hope this was an attempt at trolling, for this to really be how you are would be depressing indeed.

ArtificialGlory
Oh lawdy lawd. This is simply incredible.

NemeBro
Nah.

I'm pretty much done responding to him, so I can't entertain your miserable life anymore. sad

estahuh

General G
He's trolling hardcore.

He's not trolling because trolling implies a conscious attempt to say bullshit that irritates others. Goldenspy is simply impaired mentally.

NemeBro
I have to admit, I do get the horrifying impression that GoldenSpy is indeed not trolling, and completely serious.

EvilAngel

Either stay or go, woman. You've played with our emotions enough.

EvilAngel
Damn... you are onto my Real game on the year....

Call it my woman's intuition.

ArtificialGlory
Call it my woman's intuition.

Oh, OH! I see what you did there!

EvilAngel
Isn't that what you get when your pants are on too tight to restrict the flow of blood to your main brain?

I'm just saying... =3

You're just mad 'cause I look way better in skinny jeans then you!

EvilAngel
Not really, not considering that's another way of saying I look way better out of skinny jeans than you shifty

Zack Fair
You know the deal in KMC...

Prove it biscuits

EvilAngel
Fire department said I can't do that any more....

Joke =p I'm not that self absorbed =p

General G
He's not trolling because trolling implies a conscious attempt to say bullshit that irritates others. Goldenspy is simply impaired mentally.

I'm tryyyyyying to keep my view on humanity somewhat decent

Utrigita

Smasandian
Yeah, I agree. The ending of Witcher 2 was very abrupt.

Utrigita
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, I agree. The ending of Witcher 2 was very abrupt.

Indeed, I was sitting thinking "what, is that it?" I was also kinda hoping that they would release some additional content (as in game progressing) with the patches but I don't think that dream will come true.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by EvilAngel
Fire department said I can't do that any more....

Joke =p I'm not that self absorbed =p

http://www.idontwannagrowup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/rly.gif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.