Revan's place among the Elite Force Users

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kotor3
When it comes to the Elite Force Users in the Star Wars Universe where does Revan stand?

Dr McBeefington
Top 10 easily?

axel_jovan
He is in the top tier for sure, yet I'd say the likes of Sidious, Bane, Exar Kun, Nihilus, Yoda, Luke, and perhaps some others are ahead of him.

Dr McBeefington
I wouldn't put kun or Nihilus above him, not sure about yoder.

Nephthys
Really? How would Revan handle Kun's amulets, or Nihilus' drain?

Dr McBeefington
I think there's been ample proof that Revan is at least familiar with the drain, if he can't outright do it himself.

RevanSpoilers
Kreia was familiar with it too, didn't stop Nihilus from draining her.

Nephthys
If by 'ample proof', you mean 'he was on Malachor', then yes.

edit: Oh snap!

Dr McBeefington
No, ample proof offered off by Janus, Nai, and myself. The same planet where Nihilus and Kreia got their drain is where Revan studied the underground cities filled with sith tomes, holocrons, etc.

Nephthys
Which means he must of studied that specific technique, obviously.

Dr McBeefington
Oh lord. You're right, logical deduction flies out the window because it would destroy your argument.

RevanSpoilers
RevanSpoilers

Nephthys
Dude, you said it yourself: 'Revan studied the underground cities filled with sith tomes, holocrons, etc.'

Are we just going to assume that by studying some of the material inside an entire ****ing city he studied the exact same technique? No, of course not, thats retarded.

Dr McBeefington
Move along Neph, you lost this one.

Nephthys
Nice comeback. Very logical and well reasoned.

RevanSpoilers
SWL's training has served him well.

RevanSpoilers

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Move along Neph, you lost this one. I forgot you two subscribe to the lightsnake method. Bringing up lost arguments and pretending the debates never occured. Kreia was familiar with the drain but I'd give more leeway to someone that has studied the with lore on the planet.

RevanSpoilers
The KotOR campaign guide explicitly states that it was Kreia who trained Nihilus to harness his powers to their epic proportion, not to mention she has canonically performed similar feats on the remnants of the Jedi Council on Dantooine. Against that, what do you have to say that Revan's knowledge of the technique is equal or superior? More importantly, what do you have to say that he would be immune from such an attack by Nihilus?

Dr McBeefington
I would have to say that canonically he is the only one to have studied the underground cities of Malachor 5 and therefore the character with the best chance to counter the drain. Otherwise. We can say Nihilus drains everybody.

RevanSpoilers
Some subscribe to that theory.

This is where I should probably be completely honest {SWL, if you're out there, watch and learn}. As usual, I'm in the unique and enviable position of being awesome and winning either way. This thread is a Xanatos Gambit for me. On the one hand, if Nephthys beats you, it continues my systematic campaign to provide generous reality checks to Revan's unrelenting horde of fanboys who refuse to provide properly cited and sourced honest arguments. On the other hand, if you beat him, I have more ammunition to undermine the argument that Nihilus can drain anyone {which I personally don't subscribe to}. Now be good pawns and continue to duke it out.

Dr McBeefington
Grr cabin door closing. Be back later.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by RevanSpoilers

This is where I should probably be completely honest {SWL, if you're out there, watch and learn}. As usual, I'm in the unique and enviable position of being awesome and winning either way. This thread is a Xanatos Gambit for me. On the one hand, if Nephthys beats you, it continues my systematic campaign to provide generous reality checks to Revan's unrelenting horde of fanboys who refuse to provide properly cited and sourced honest arguments. On the other hand, if you beat him, I have more ammunition to undermine the argument that Nihilus can drain anyone {which I personally don't subscribe to}. Now be good pawns and continue to duke it out.
Don't assume too much. I don't have massive time like Neph. Don't consider my lack of responses as a sign of defeat. I have life besides Star Wars.

I have bested Neph in Darth Malgus vs Count Dooku thread. Open your eyes. This is the only thread where I responded to his every argument.

Also, some information for you:

Led by a woman named Kreia, the rogue Jedi turned to the dark side teachings uncovered by Malak and Revan.

Source: SWTOR Revan Novel

Now move along.

Nephthys
The word 'uncovered' does not mean that they studied it, only that they discovered it. Indiana jones frequently uncovers lost treasures and civilasations but he doesn't study them. Naturally Malak and Revan found Malachor and the teachings there, thus 'uncovering' them.

S_W_LeGenD
Revan and Malak were practitioners of the Force. They were not simple explorers. Bane specially pointed out that Revan had great knowledge of Sith Lore and knew many extremely deadly techniques.

Both Bandon and Malak demonstrated variants of Force Drain. Revan defeated them, right?

Nephthys
And Indie was a professor of paleantology. Bane did not point out that Revan knew Nihilus' technique. Its base speculation to assume that he knew it.

Nihilus' drain is not a common Force Drain. It was specified to have 'no defence'.

RevanSpoilers
My disciple, concentrate on the Jew. While he and SWL share certain critical similarities, there is at least one critical difference: the Jew is capable of higher level reasoning. He and he alone of your enemies is worthy of your wrath.

Nephthys
Whats the point? The Jew has no evidence and is just blowing smoke. And I've wanted to point out the flaw in that quote of Legends for a while.

RevanSpoilers
The point is that the Jew is a religious and political conservative and is therefore the Exile to your Nihilus {or vice versa}. It is your destiny to oppose him.

Nephthys
You're just trying to manipulate me, Kreia.

RevanSpoilers
I would have killed the galaxy for you. You're like staring into the heart of the Force. And so forth.

Dr McBeefington
Looking at this crap isn't easy on an iPhone but you two are functioning well as life partners.

Dr McBeefington

I'm not sure you win either way (but since you're the king of delusional, I'll let this go). It's a theory based on deductive reasoning. If both Kreia and Nihilus can harness the specific power they stumbled upon on Malachor V, how much moreso can Revan, who studied the underground sith cities and god knows how much information was down there. Furthermore, Revan has shown a knack for trying to learn counter abilities to something that wtfpwned him the first time around (Vitiate's mind ****), so it stands to reason that there's a REALLY good chance Revan knows a counter to the Nihilus drain, while learning in the underground cities on Malachor V. Finally, I don't think Nihilus was able to drain just anybody. I always said if you were a wound in the force or found a technique to simulate that effect, you could defeat him. But I win, so I digress.

Lucius
Isn't this easily solved when we look at how Revan trained a group of Sith assassins to hunt down Jedi and do it using the drain technique? The more powerful their targets, the more powerful the assassins became. Then Kreia and co took them over after Revan vanished. Kreia then took the drain to it's next logical step, and one way or another, opened the door to turn Nihilus into a planet eating monstrosity.

Dr McBeefington
Wow, that was way too obvious, I can't believe none of us picked up on it.

Nephthys
Originally posted by Lucius
Isn't this easily solved when we look at how Revan trained a group of Sith assassins to hunt down Jedi and do it using the drain technique? The more powerful their targets, the more powerful the assassins became. Then Kreia and co took them over after Revan vanished. Kreia then took the drain to it's next logical step, and one way or another, opened the door to turn Nihilus into a planet eating monstrosity.

Did he? I thought it was soley the Triumvirate that experimented in this technique. you might be getting confused with the assassination squad Atton was in.

Dr McBeefington
No, Veneficus is 100% Correct.

Nephthys
Because Wookiepedia says so?

I'd prefer an actual quote.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Nephthys
Because Wookiepedia says so?

I'd prefer an actual quote.

:::facepalm:::

http://www.angelfire.com/ca/coffeemeister/story.html
http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotorii/chronicles.php
http://www.darkjedibrotherhood.com/dbjedi/shadowacademy/sa/course.php?name=HistorySithEmpireII

All this has to come from somewhere.

Nephthys
I don't believe Gamebanshee or 'the Shadow Academy' are allowed to dictate canon. Only the first link has a medicum of believability as it claims the information comes from the TSL website. Unfortunately said website no longer exists.

In any case there is no mention of the technique. Nor, even if Revan did establish the Sith Assassins, does that prove that he was skilled in the technique and able to use it. Nor, even if he was knowledgable about it, does this indicate that he can defend himself against it.

Dr McBeefington
Wow.. just... Wow..

Nephthys
You're awestruck by my brilliance. Don't worry, it usually fades after a while.

Dr McBeefington
http://xbox.gamespy.com/xbox/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-2/564808p1.html

Unfortunately for you, it's part of the Chronicles of the Republic. There's no need for it to be explicit about what Revan knew or taught the sith assassins. I'll expect my trophy and for you to drop the matter.

Nephthys
I still don't see a quote.

Also I'll remind you that the technique is not one that can be taught, or learnt through study. It can only be experienced.

Dr McBeefington
I still don't see a quote.

Also I'll remind you that the technique is not one that can be taught, or learnt through study. It can only be experienced.

Which was disproved because Kreia taught it to Nihilus. Good try.

Nephthys
No, she didn't.

She had improve upon what he already knew. She did not teach him the technique.

Dr McBeefington
No, she didn't.

She had improve upon what he already knew. She did not teach him the technique.

Well, it's obvious you're going the SWL/LS route.

Nephthys
Wasn't LS the one who first introduced the idea of Palpatine as being extremely powerful? And it turned out he was right all along?

Dr McBeefington
He was also the one that lost countless arguments, while trying to desperately prolong arguments. Sorta like you're doing.

Nephthys
But he was still right. he

Dr McBeefington
Being right in one aspect doesn't negate being wrong in 10.

Nephthys
Losing a few battles is acceptable if you win the war.

Nephthys
Looking through the Chronicles of the Jedi links, and there isn't one mention of the Sith Assassins.

RevanSpoilers
DS
I'm not sure you win either way

Was I not clear enough? I'm not fluent in Retard, but I suppose I could see if SWL would mind translating?

Dr McBeefington
Don't worry, your homosexuality wasn't in question.

RevanSpoilers
burn

Anyway, so who's won here? Nihilus or Revan?

Dr McBeefington
Revan..

Nephthys
Considering theres nothing even hinting that Revan can block Nihilus' drain, I'm going to have to go with Lord Nihilus.

Dr McBeefington
Yea, if you ignore every source offered to you and play dumb, you're right.

Nephthys
Gamebanshee is a source now? Lol.

I guess since IGN said that Nihilus was teh uberest ever then he wins anyway rofl.

Dr McBeefington
Well, that was easy.

Nephthys
Smack Talk: Losing does seem to come naturally to you. I'm not surprised its easy.

Dr McBeefington
Coming from someone who has never beaten me, nor anybody else on this forum, I find your epiphany "disturbing". smile

Nephthys
Confident Boast: *****, the skulls of my slain pierce the heavens. I've whooped your ass in this thread. You've so far failed to come up with a shred of proof.

Condescension: Maybe you should go ask LeGenD for some tips. So far he's given me more pause than you have.

Dr McBeefington
http://rob.nu/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/facepalm9.jpg

Nephthys
http://old-republic.com/images/hk47_droid.gif Smug Statement: Concession accepted.

Lightsnake
Nihilus was not taught how to drain from the Force. The KOTOR campaign guide points out that after he and other survivors were left on Malachor V, Nihilus (just 'the man' then) devoured the others to appease his hunger. Traya found him later.

Dr McBeefington
Originally posted by Lightsnake
Nihilus was not taught how to drain from the Force. The KOTOR campaign guide points out that after he and other survivors were left on Malachor V, Nihilus (just 'the man' then) devoured the others to appease his hunger. Traya found him later.

Please post the exact quote because all other sources point to the sith assassins learning this from Revan, as well as Traya teaching them and Nihilus. The rest of the points still stand as far as Revan's underground tutelage.

RevanSpoilers
While Nihilus may not have been taught the technique initially, he was trained in its use by Kreia.

Dr McBeefington
Oh my. The world just ended. Gideon sorta.. Agreed?

RevanSpoilers
DS
Oh my. The world just ended. Gideon sorta.. Agreed?

First, it was I who allowed the alliance to know the location of the shield generatorwho brought that quote from the campaign guide to this message board's attention.

Second, you used to agree with me all the time.

Dr McBeefington
Only in regards to your "special" sexual orientation.

RevanSpoilers
DS
Only in regards to your "special" sexual orientation.

And on Palpatine's supremacy and the quality of arguments brought forth by the Antediluvians.

Dr McBeefington
Yea, that much hasn't changed.. At least about the old arguments.

Lightsnake
Please post the exact quote because all other sources point to the sith assassins learning this from Revan, as well as Traya teaching them and Nihilus. The rest of the points still stand as far as Revan's underground tutelage.

"An emptiness swept over the man's idle body and it soon began to "hunger" intensely. Without intent, he drained the life-force of another survivor. The act was an unpleasant experience for him, but for a brief moment the hunger ceased. The emptiness, however, came back more relentless and intense than before. He indulged in absorbing the energy of other survivors, but the more he fed, the shorter the hunger was appeased and the more relentless it became"

This is before the war's end with Malak's death. However, the implication is very strong that Traya helped him refine it.

I'm unsure of where Revan's been implied to know the technique, but I wouldn't really be surprised if he did. The Thought Bomb, after all, takes a lot of notes from Force Drain, and Bane uses the technique in Dynasty of Evil (he could, granted, has learned it from Nadd's holocron, Nadd being a confirmed user of the skill)

Dr McBeefington
Then we're all in agreement. Tally ho.

Nephthys
"It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves... it is a means of severing connections between life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes. It cannot be taught... it can only be gained through instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand."
―Kreia

I never said that you could not develop the ability, only that it cannot be gained through study.

Dr McBeefington
"It is a technique that is almost as old as the Sith themselves... it is a means of severing connections between life, the Force, and feeding upon the death it causes. It cannot be taught... it can only be gained through instinct, through experiencing its effects, first-hand."
―Kreia

I never said that you could not develop the ability, only that it cannot be gained through study.

Yet Kreia also says it is a technique known to the ancient sith, so obviously you CAN gain it through study.

Lightsnake
That much I'm unsure on...Bane uses it in book 3 of his trilogy.

Granted, he did withstand the Thought Bomb.

RevanSpoilers
DS
Yea, that much hasn't changed.. At least about the old arguments.

I thought you didn't believe in Palpatine's supremacy? I mean Vitiate is ancient and he didn't use a lightsaber and that's pretty cool.

Nephthys
Yet Kreia also says it is a technique known to the ancient sith, so obviously you CAN gain it through study.

What? erm

The quote only says that the technique is as old as the Sith, not that they taught each other it. Stop reaching.

Dr McBeefington
Vitiate is still an unknown but lets just say the hierarchy has just been updated. And I'd say until we get more information, DE Sidious still comes out ahead, but thats the only version of Sidious. At any rate, I still believe Vitiate is a force god the way he was written and think there's a lot of CIS involved.

Dr McBeefington
What? erm

The quote only says that the technique is as old as the Sith, not that they taught each other it. Stop reaching.

I'm not reaching. She mentions that it was a technique known to the ancient sith.

RevanSpoilers
Well Avellone mentioned that, anyway.

Good to see you remain sensible as to Sidious's obvious and substantial superiority over Vitiate.

Nephthys
Even if they knew it that doesn't prove they taught it to each other. They could have gained it through the same way Nihilus and co did. Also, you're being ambiguous. Did they merely know 'of' it or could they use it?

Also quote where she says that.

RevanSpoilers
Avellone indicates that the only thing keeping the ancient Sith from using the technique was the fear of sublimating their identities.

Dr McBeefington
Sounds about right

Nephthys
Thats a pretty weak implication. erm

Dr McBeefington
Looks like DE is going to argue this to death.

Nephthys
Oh no your right that completely destroys my arguement. They didn't use it? Oh god, how can I possibly counter that?

RevanSpoilers
Honestly, I don't understand the reluctance in accepting {and this goes for any of you} that an in-universe source is wrong or slightly mistaken or whatever. Kreia, Nyriss, Vader, Sidious, whomever.

Dr McBeefington
I accept it only when Sidious is wrong.

RevanSpoilers
DS
I accept it only when Sidious is wrong.

Then unlike your offline life, you're not alone.

Dr McBeefington
It's ok, I have my various internet girlfriends to keep me company for phone sex.

Nephthys
Honestly, I don't understand the reluctance in accepting {and this goes for any of you} that an in-universe source is wrong or slightly mistaken or whatever. Kreia, Nyriss, Vader, Sidious, whomever.

Do you expect me to not argue back?

Though really my reluctance simply comes from the poor argument against it. Nothing so far has been particularly compelling that Kreia is wrong.

RevanSpoilers
DS
It's ok, I have my various internet girlfriends to keep me company for phone sex.

They're probably guys.

Dr McBeefington
So what?

Nephthys
Thats so gay.

Dr McBeefington
Sex is just a gender, remember?

Nephthys
But an ass is still an ass.

Stealth Moose
http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/j361/JanusMarius/ragnossolos.jpg

RE: Blaxican
i didnt ask for this

Zampanó
Sex is just a gender, remember?
What does this even mean?
But an ass is still an ass.
http://www.thebraggingmommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/cars2_thumb.png
Do you expect me to not argue back?

Though really my reluctance simply comes from the poor argument against it. Nothing so far has been particularly compelling that Kreia is wrong.
Indeed. Because of the limits on world-building found in conventional narrative (as opposed to dedicated world-building a la Tolkien, wherein every passing observation is followed by several pages of poetry, history, and metaphysical contemplation) we have to look at what the author of the piece was intending with any given scene. For example, the conversation with Tobin on the Ravager is one that is clearly meant to be the buildup/announcement/reveal of N.'s true nature. That he is a fallible source does not erase his testimony. I suspect that you will agree, RevanSpoilers, based on your usage of that quote from Avellone.

RevanSpoilers
I think that this is an argument that is routinely abused and misapplied by those among us who favor specific characters over others. For example, a poster might be inclined to accept Tobin's testimony as the gospel truth and might justify it by similar, if not identical reasoning: His words are clearly intended to reflect the intent of the author and, to an extent, the official stance of the Lucas media empire. But when the historians of the New Republic come along and declare that a certain Sith Lord whose title isn't Nihilus is the most powerful Sith ever in The New Essential Chronology, that same poster seems equally inclined to toss it in the garbage heap.

My personal belief is that we need to apply the same scrutiny and standards to all fallible sources and their testimony and not give sources that we like a free pass.

NTJack0
At the bottom, like always.

zoom3
Are you really asking this question?! Revan is descirbed as the most powerful jedi of his time. He's in the top ten EASY!!!! Any one who says that he's lower than the top twenty is CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mad

truejedi
I don't really see him as all that powerful. After all, he was taken out of commission by just two blasts of lightning from a sith who was done in by a completely random Jedi Knight..

Dr McBeefington
Which is a terrible argument considering this random Jedi knight is said to be uber powerful. Plus, it's an MMO. If you watch the Jedi knight ending, you'll see that single powerful blast of force lightning took out 3-4 Jedi masters simultaneously.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by truejedi
I don't really see him as all that powerful. After all, he was taken out of commission by just two blasts of lightning from a sith who was done in by a completely random Jedi Knight..
I don't really see Darth Sidious as all that powerful. After all, he was taken out of commission by a smuggler Han Solo and a Jedi freak named Empatojayos Brand. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Seriously?

Now watch this:

voh2VOb-B0w

Does this looks like normal burst of Force Lightning to you?

Drew described his power as a swirling storm of pure dark side energy.

And not to forget that Lord Vitiate is stated to be capable of unleashing full power of the dark side.

Zampanó
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Lord Vitiate is stated to be capable of unleashing full power of the dark side. Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Which is a terrible argument

Is it just me or has the level of argumentation (esp. pertaining to this new MMO) taken a nosedive?

Nephthys
I don't really see Darth Sidious as all that powerful. After all, he was taken out of commission by a smuggler Han Solo and a Jedi freak named Empatojayos Brand. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Well he was dying at the time from his body degenerating under his own power.

S_W_LeGenD

Lord Lucien
I like your continual use of Lord[/b[ Vitiate, as if he's some real person your referring to. It's not comical in the slightest.

S_W_LeGenD
What is wrong with using the term Lord here? It is similar in the sense of Lord Kas'im, Lord Kaan, Lord Scourge blah blah.

It is one of terms associated with names of Sith Lords in Star Wars mythos like Darth.

Nephthys
He was still strong enough to defeat Leia and kill Ysanna.

However, he has been put out of commission in one of the worst ways possible. The mighty Palpatine eventually falls to a smuggler and a Jedi freak with a sucky name. Who would have thunk it.

Coming back to the real point:

Pay attention to the statement of truejedi. It is utterly baseless. The manner in which he put it undermines the capabilities of both Lord Vitiate and Revan.

I know. Quite impressive is it not, to be capable of such feats when moments from death?

And Malgus got beaten by 4 smugglers while in perfect condition. LOL!

I think truejedi was trying to undermine those two actually.

S_W_LeGenD
I know. Quite impressive is it not, to be capable of such feats when moments from death?
Certainly. He was not dying though. His clone body was getting ravaged by his immense power and he needed a new one.

However, the manner in which he has been put out is a disgrace to his reputation in my opinion. He deserved better.

Revan has been put out in a respectful manner.

And Malgus got beaten by 4 smugglers while in perfect condition. LOL!
LOL! The beauty of game. big grin

I think truejedi was trying to undermine those two actually.
Yes. This is my intended point.

ares834

Jesus Christ do you have any clue what was happening during said comic?

Nephthys
He's just being glib. To be honest he's not actually wrong here. TJ ignored the circumstances about Vitiates death, as did LeGenD.

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by ares834
Jesus Christ do you have any clue what was happening during said comic?
Yes, I have. I intended to make truejedi realize the absurdity of his claim with this example.

It is easy to undermine characters with our narrations, if we exclude valid details from them.

ares834
Sure, but what circumstances were involved with Vitate's death?

S_W_LeGenD
Originally posted by ares834
Sure, but what circumstances were involved with Vitate's death?
Hint: Scourge

ares834
Well that explans everything... I just want a straight up answer what were the circumstances involved in the duel?

Toshi
KOTOR Revan is top 10. TOR Revan sucks more cock than Sasha grey.

Dr McBeefington
Have you played the Foundry flashpoint since the early access began?

Nephthys
Hay-ooh!

(I wonder how many other people know who that is off the tops of their heads)

Toshi
Have you played the Foundry flashpoint since the early access began?

Lolno. I'm slacking off, I didn't even get to Taral yet. I burnt myself out in beta. Don't spoil it if I'm wrong here, just say I'm retarded or something.

Dr McBeefington
Oh im not playing anymore. I sold my CE so I'm officially done with the game.

Toshi
Oh im not playing anymore. I sold my CE so I'm officially done with the game.
Heh nice. You're probably going to make a lot from that. I'm gonna sell the Darth Malgus statue. People already are bidding 60-70 bucks on Ebay...

Dr McBeefington
Sold the game for $265.

Arhael
As a jedi I put him on level with Skywalker's family.

Wouldn't put him among top sith as he is not pure evil.

Mizukage Yoda

Seriously?

Now watch this:

voh2VOb-B0w

Does this looks like normal burst of Force Lightning to you?

Drew described his power as a swirling storm of pure dark side energy.

And not to forget that Lord Vitiate is stated to be capable of unleashing full power of the dark side.

Sidious was also capable of unleashing the full power of the dark side. Or did you forget that him and his master through meditation were able to throw off the entire galactic balance of the force.
As for Revan, I would put him on the level of Vader, Tyranus, and Windu. Beneath Yoda, Sidious, and Vitiate and soundly below Luke.

Arhael
Finished Revan book. What in the blazes he was thinking, when he decided to absorb force lightning with bare hands? He did use lightsaber on first lightning bolts and then he had to show off...

Darth Tempest
Honestly Revan is likely to be beyond all of those mentioned above, as he was able to resist the corrupting influence of the Sith Emperor of his time, for three hundred years. All the while this ancient Sith was inside Revan's mind studying the Republic's defenses. Also Revan was able to influence him to delay his attack for years in that position.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.