The books to the films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kjm87
I've just started reading the books again, and must say that there are quite big differences between the books and the films. I suppose it's because I read the books ages before I watched the films, and didn't think anything of it. Am I correct in saying, that in the films the Fellowship were in the mines for hardly any time at all, yet in the books I think it was months. Also when Frodo Sam Merry and Pippin were travelling through the old forest, and before that, they met a lot of people who weren't featured in the first film. Can someone help me on this part? When Gandalf visits Saruman, he is imprisoned at the top of a tower, but I never read anything about that in the book.

Dexx
They weren't in moria for months in the movie either...mearly days.
I think gandalf is imprisoned in the book as well.

The main differences i noticed were the time the hobbits took to reach bree....it's considerably longer than in the movie.
And the part where gandalf leaves the ring to frodo while he goes to do some research on it...he reteruns after some good years back in hobbiton. In the movies we understand he comes almost right back.

TrixStar
They leave the entire part out about the old forrest, and meeting Tom Bombadier (sp) and the part where frodo and the other 3 got captured by ugh what were they called, frodo chopped off the hand of the wallking arm and they sang that song and Tom came and helped them again.

Also when Frodo first got the ring in the book, and Gandalf left to gather his info to see if it was the one ring int he book he was gone for 9 years.

I just started reading the books ive finished the first 2. I was rather frustrated with the amount of things they left out. Of course if they put them all in the movies would be 10 hours each.

mah
they cut out the old forest, yes. it was necessary

Ushgarak
Indee.d The focus of the film needed to be on the Fellowship itself- not the journey to Bree which was not vital to the main plot.

Member.
the movie would be too long if they go with the book.

Dexx
hey, if you're not a fan..i bet the movie's even a lil boring.
The fellowship isn't that action packed as it is

Gtspacekid
Yup ur right the two towers is way better.... stick out tongue

Captain REX
They are both great films...and books.

I found a list of rumored changes for ROTK. It might open with the reforging of Narsil if you didn't already know.

Dexx
naah..space kid. I liked fotr better

Captain REX
Both are good, now be quiet...

Julie
definately a big difference, but I think the movies may be better at least to me...b/c I saw them first...the books are interesting though

Member.
nooks gives u more, ill give it that, but movies every one likes.

Julie
*sigh stilll chugging through ROTK

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.