Starship Troopers Remake

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/168959-starship-troopers-remake-in-the-works

So ummmmm is Hollywood gonna remake all of Paul Verhoevans movies??

Patient_Leech
From what my friend tells me, the original source material for Starship Troopers is quite a bit different from the movie, and quite good. I actually kind of enjoy the film.. it's fun and satirical, but I think Paul Verhoven in general is mediocre at best. So hopefully this will be more of a re-envisioning rather than a remake of Verhoven's film.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
From what my friend tells me, the original source material for Starship Troopers is quite a bit different from the movie, and quite good. I actually kind of enjoy the film.. it's fun and satirical, but I think Paul Verhoven in general is mediocre at best. So hopefully this will be more of a re-envisioning rather than a remake of Verhoven's film.

Also i remember reading Paul started reading the book and then gave up

i enjoyed the movie he made even if its "loosly" based on it from what i hear.

Esau Cairn
No one can remake the yumminess of Denise Richards.

NO ONE!!!

roughrider
The book's tone is different. It makes a sincere case for fascism as a stable government!

Lord Lucien
I'm okay with a re-imagining remake, but if they try for the same kind of movie as the '97 film, it will blow by default. No one can replace Casper Van Dien.

darthmaul1
I enjoyed the 97 version, the only thing i found totally stupid were the asteroids with the bug stuff in it, flying ALL the way across the galaxy to hit earth. the bugs must be a very good shot and the asteroids must be traveling at a hell of a rate. that was just stupid.

Lord Lucien
What I found unbelievable was that Brenda Strong's character came back to life as someone else.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
What I found unbelievable was that Brenda Strong's character came back to life as someone else.

??

Lord Lucien
In the second movie.

Kazenji
Well you know plenty of people have established the sequels are terrible.

Lord Lucien
Blasphemy. The second movie is better than the first because there are more titties. The third movie is better still because there's a not-so-subtle overtone of religious commentary. With titties.

roughrider
We can't forget the first film was a major box office disappointment in 1997 - no matter how much better it's reputation has gotten over time - and the sequels all went direct to DVD. No surprise they want to try again as a franchise. Too bad much of it's tech was borrowed & used by James Cameron for Avatar.

Thoren
I remember NPH was in that movie, and he stuck a big metal dildo in that bugs vag.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Thoren
I remember NPH was in that movie, and he stuck a big metal dildo in that bugs vag.

Symbolic of "fu#king over the enemy," I'm sure. Actually, I guess at that point it's literal.. heh.

Kazenji
Originally posted by roughrider
We can't forget the first film was a major box office disappointment in 1997 -

Does'nt mean it was a bad movie.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Thoren

Not to mention casually incapacitating a soldier bug with a rifle for a home audience. He also played a serious weirdo in L&O Criminal Intent and was very convincing too.

I don't honestly think you can beat or improve what the first movie did, it was large scale in terms of the story, but told in a very compact and satisfying way. It had a cast with great chemistry and didn't pull its punches which is what you'd expect with Verhoeven. Its just a shame he never got to expand on the characters with proper backing like the first, because the ending certainly alluded to more possible adventures.

I'm not familiar with the second film that was made but the third was completely awful; I tried to give it time but it was too much torture.

Lord Lucien
The Third Movie loved to execute people for some reason.

darthmaul1
The 2nd movie was directed by Phil tippet, the puppet maker on star wars. Just goes to show if you are a fx person it does not mean you will be a good director just like the brothers Strauss (avp requiem and skyline)

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by darthmaul1
The 2nd movie was directed by Phil tippet, the puppet maker on star wars. Just goes to show if you are a fx person it does not mean you will be a good director just like the brothers Strauss (avp requiem and skyline)

Oddly enough I actually kind of liked the 2nd film. It was unoriginal, yes, but I thought it was entertaining. But yeah, the brothers Strauss, they suck beyond belief.. they really should not be allowed to direct.

Kazenji

One special effects person that i know of who has had good success as director....Len Wisemen.

Lord Shadow Z
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
The Third Movie loved to execute people for some reason.

The part which finally did it for me was the naked posing they were doing before using the Marauders; I was like, how cheesy can you get?

Lord Shadow Z
Just goes to show if you are a fx person it does not mean you will be a good director just like the brothers Strauss (avp requiem and skyline)

I actually enjoyed AVP: Requiem, I thought it was a very exciting movie with the Predator tracking the Aliens down and having to locate them methodically - like a detective - was very neat. The action scenes were good, the human characters were admittedly basic but the movie wasn't about them really. The Pred/Alien was just a nightmarish creation and with it's spawning ability it was an amazing 'villain' for the Predator to have to deal with. I even go back to the first AVP and still find myself grinning at how fun it is to see them two fighting it out.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Lord Shadow Z
I actually enjoyed AVP: Requiem, I thought it was a very exciting movie with the Predator tracking the Aliens down and having to locate them methodically - like a detective - was very neat. The action scenes were good, the human characters were admittedly basic but the movie wasn't about them really. The Pred/Alien was just a nightmarish creation and with it's spawning ability it was an amazing 'villain' for the Predator to have to deal with. I even go back to the first AVP and still find myself grinning at how fun it is to see them two fighting it out.

I didn't really mind AVP requiem either my comment was more for skyline. I liked avp r for the points you mentioned, but the whole human element was just bad and the film was way too dark (couldn't see anything)

RE: Blaxican
AvP Requiem was ****ing awful, imo. On the other hand, I thought the first AvP was decent.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I agree. I AvP Requiem was dumb as shit. Somehow it managed to be worse than the first one, which was quite a feat.

Kazenji
One thing they got right with AVP requiem was the violence it was perfect for it.

Robtard
Casper Van Dien is available and willing to redo this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.