The Cabin in the Woods

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jaden101
From Drew Goddard (Lost, Cloverfield) and Joss Whedon (Firefly, Serenity, The Avengers)

Looks like an interesting take on a well used horror plot device.

http://screencrave.frsucrave.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/cabin-in-the-woods-poster-hi-res.jpg

OJUIgf7lsCY

Plus it uses The Naked and Famous "Young Blood" in the trailer...Which is an awesome tune.

Plus it's been fecking forever in coming.

Kazenji
Looks good

reminds of Truman show but instead its more of a horror movie with the people watching the stranded people.

roughrider
Very strange.
Finally coming out to take advantage of Chris Hemsworth's new fame as Thor? Avengers only comes out a month after this.

jaden101
Yeah it definitely looks like a strange take on an old well used horror staple. It's made in 3D which will obviously get mixed reactions as some people like it and some hate it. I personally think if it's done properly (uses more negative paralax than positive like Tron and Avatar) then it will at least look good.

I have high hopes though cos I like Joss Whedon even if he's producing rather than directing.

Should at least have originality.

Patient_Leech
Starts out like it's gonna be an Evil Dead remake.

Is this a remake of some sort?

Kazenji
Nope its something new

but there is a Evil Dead remake on its way.

Herbert Spencer
Just caught it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was by no means flawless, but a clever, quirky story nonetheless.

wasson66
instead its more of a horror movie with the people watching the stranded people.http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpg

Myth
Pretty original. First third was pretty funny/quirky. Middle was pretty "meh" standard horror movie (kind of like a Friday the 13th movie knock off). The climax is when it just becomes pure entertainment and fairly original. I definitely liked this and will watch it again.

BackFire
Film was golden. As Myth said, it really gets going in the last act when the creativity of the minds involved really gets to flourish. Wonderful and fun horror film that is both a celebration and a condemnation of the relatively tired horror genre.

jaden101
Brilliant film. Just saw it tonight. Amazing that it can at once be so original and yet be a homage to almost every horror movie you've ever seen. Loved it.

Robtard
Originally posted by BackFire
Film was golden. As Myth said, it really gets going in the last act when the creativity of the minds involved really gets to flourish. Wonderful and fun horror film that is both a celebration and a condemnation of the relatively tired horror genre.

Originally posted by jaden101
Brilliant film. Just saw it tonight. Amazing that it can at once be so original and yet be a homage to almost every horror movie you've ever seen. Loved it.

Dope, watching this tonight and you're two people in here I trust in terms of films.

Robtard
Liked it a lot, as others said; a fresh take in a stale genre; pyaing homage to many other horror flicks.

I especially liked the HP Lovecraft homage.

Patient_Leech
Well shit... looks like I need to see this. It looks kinda lame on the trailer, but it's gotten extremely impressive reviews.

jaden101
The trailer is completely irrelevant to the film.

Myth

There is one part that the trailer ruins: The trailer shows the girl and the conspiracy theorist going down an elevator, so I knew he didn't die when they tried to make us think he died. Other than that, I was pretty happy at the lack of spoilers in the trailer.

Patient_Leech

What do you mean it's irrelevant to the film? Do you mean it doesn't represent the film well?

mardook
At first I was dreading watching the movie simply because I thought it would be a stale slasher movie. I found it enjoyable for the humour and the quirky enjoyable cast.

jaden101
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
What do you mean it's irrelevant to the film? Do you mean it doesn't represent the film well?

Yes. Although this time it's deliberate. Most film trailers don't represent the film well nowadays though even when they try to.

starlock
Great movie.

Patient_Leech
I was going to go see this today, but it just disappeared at the theater. I guess I won't be seeing it for a while. F#ck. erm

WeRKidz09
I LOVE the song "Young Blood" ...this was definitely not what i was expecting after viewing trailers for it. It's on the side of WTF. It was something different from all the ghost movies recently. Watch it!

juggerman
Fantastic movie all around. The explaination was awesome and very well done. I do agree that that one part in the trailer gave something away to me too but other than that i was very pleased

Patient_Leech
Dammit, I want to see this.. maybe I'll try to find a bootleg... screw my ISP

Patient_Leech
I finally saw this, for the low, low price of $1.99 (+ about 2 or 3 bucks worth of gas station candy). It was entertaining and quite amusing, but I'm honestly a little surprised that it has such great reviews. I guess I just find it a little strange trying to take it seriously and laugh, at the same time. It's not the same kind of horror/humor as say Evil Dead (which it is very clearly referencing; there were some definite references to other films such as The Matrix). It worked better as a comedy, I think. I really didn't find it very scary because it was a little too over-the-top to take seriously, and the film wasn't taking itself very seriously. And oddly enough, I didn't really like Sigourney Weaver showing up . That was a bit campy and instead of being either funny OR serious, it just added too much of a camp factor. Probably wouldn't see it again, and probably wouldn't buy it, but it's definitely funny and worth seeing once. Joss Whedon once again shows that he's very good at writing good action/humor...

I hope he develops enough clout in Hollywood from this success (not to mention The Avengers) and gets to return to Firefly/Serenity.

jaden101
Originally posted by Patient_Leech

I hope he develops enough clout in Hollywood from this success (not to mention The Avengers) and gets to return to Firefly/Serenity.

I'll ignore the rest and resist tearing you a new shit pipe because of this sentence.

Patient_Leech
I'll ignore the rest and resist tearing you a new shit pipe because of this sentence.

Thank you for bestowing mercy upon such a lowly soul as me, oh Great and Mighty One. embarrasment

jaden101
You're welcome.

janus77
Great Sci-Fi film, with lots of horror elements.
The idea was fantastic, very original, the execution was great, the dialogue top notch (Whedon) and it had boobies! big grin

Plenty of very heavy-handed references to genre staples (Hellraiser, Evil Dead, It etc etc...), lots of great visual gags and a brilliant cocktail of character types - Scooby gang-ish dynamics of the cabin party as well as Lost like men in white coats.

Oh and Danny Tripp is in it, sigh ... Studio 60 ...

Robtard
Will be showing this to a bunch of drunken friends at home this Sunday. Should be a blast.

dynamix
this movie was very creative. i love the homage to the different horror sub-genre.

Dr Mystery
Not the genre-redefining horror movie that I had been told it was, definitely more along the lines of a horror/comedy, very slickly done, exactly what I expected from Whedon in terms of the attitude of the whole thing. Overall - 8/10. Personally, I could have handled about another 10 minutes or so of film time, (but they always say to leave your audience wanting more) so that the earlier scenes involving the office workers could have had a bit more to them. On a separate note, good to see the gorgeous Amy Acker on my screen again.

sgarstan
Five teenagers head off for a weekend at a secluded cabin in the woods. They arrive to find they are quite isolated with no means of communicating with the outside world. When the cellar door flings itself open, they of course go down to investigate. They find an odd assortment of relics and curios but when one of the women, Dana, reads from a book she awakens a family of deadly zombie killers. There's far more going on however than meets the eye as the five campers are all under observation.

quanchi112
This was ok at best.

jaden101
Says the man with the Troy avatar and sig.

NemeBro
Says the man with the Troy avatar and sig. thumb up

Robtard
LoL.

StyleTime
Finally saw this movie. It was totally tubular.

If you disagree, then you're wrong because I'm right.

Kazenji
If it was such as good movie then why didn't it get a bigger release?

StyleTime
Because those things aren't connected.

ROTJ Vader
Was it anygood?. Cause im looking for a good horror movie to watch right now and if its on Demand.

StyleTime
Originally posted by StyleTime
It was totally tubular.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.