The Amazing Spider-Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
The Game movie tie in

Teaser

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-2011-the-amazing-spider-man/724644

looks like its back to being an open world game like the one they did for Spider-Man 2.

Digi
lol, looks EXACTLY like SM2 and/or 3, right down to the level of detail on the buildings. Which, ok, same console generation, but hopefully they step up their textures at least.

Whatever. It's a SM game. I'm in. Without free roam, it's not really a SM game, so the latest installments might have been acceptable but didn't really do anything to entice me. This one will.

Still gotta go back and play WoS, but I'm so behind on gaming right now, that's still like 6 months off.

BloodRain
Hopefully like Spidey 2, not 3. Keeping my eyes peeled for this one... and the movie I guess.

Kazenji
At least Sega involved with this game.

Phanteros
You mean the same people who made the shitastic Iron man and Thor games?

jalek moye
Originally posted by Digi
lol, looks EXACTLY like SM2 and/or 3, right down to the level of detail on the buildings. Which, ok, same console generation, but hopefully they step up their textures at least.

Whatever. It's a SM game. I'm in. Without free roam, it's not really a SM game, so the latest installments might have been acceptable but didn't really do anything to entice me. This one will.

Still gotta go back and play WoS, but I'm so behind on gaming right now, that's still like 6 months off.
personally web of shadows was my favorite one.

But also a game doesn't need free roam to be a spidey game imo. Would it make it better? OF course.

But making a good spider-man narrative with a sense of urgency that would make the lack of free roam make sense would be fine by me if they got his character right and made the action feel like him.

Just my view on it

Kazenji
Originally posted by Phanteros
You mean the same people who made the shitastic Iron man and Thor games?

Sorry i forgot to put "Is'nt" involved.... damn 15 min edit rule...

Digi
Originally posted by jalek moye
personally web of shadows was my favorite one.

But also a game doesn't need free roam to be a spidey game imo. Would it make it better? OF course.

But making a good spider-man narrative with a sense of urgency that would make the lack of free roam make sense would be fine by me if they got his character right and made the action feel like him.

Just my view on it

Nah. A good game can exist without it, yes. But it probably won't, because the story and gameplay elements are never going to be SO awesome that it makes up for it. It's somewhat a burden of the license.

More superhero games should be free roam though. Flawed and sloppy as it was, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was the same way and was a riot. They need Super Smash Bros. Marvel Edition with open cityscapes as the battlefields. That would really be one of the best things ever.

The superhero MMOs try at this, but there's too many restrictions of the genre to be as fluid as the games I mentioned.

jalek moye
Nah. A good game can exist without it, yes. But it probably won't, because the story and gameplay elements are never going to be SO awesome that it makes up for it. It's somewhat a burden of the license.

More superhero games should be free roam though. Flawed and sloppy as it was, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was the same way and was a riot. They need Super Smash Bros. Marvel Edition with open cityscapes as the battlefields. That would really be one of the best things ever.

The superhero MMOs try at this, but there's too many restrictions of the genre to be as fluid as the games I mentioned.

that would be pretty cool

Digi
that would be pretty cool

It's basically been my dream game since that Hulk game, when I realized the implications of having multiple heroes in such an environment.

I have more ideas concerning it, since it's fun to imagine, but it's largely academic since I'm in no way in a game design field.

Stoic
Looks fun, and I like the graphics.

Kazenji
Trailer

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/vga-2011-exclusive-debut/724683

Digi
That was pretty awesome looking. Again, the swing mechanics will have to feel right. That's really the one thing we won't know until we play.

RE: Blaxican
The plot is so cliche it hurts.

I know that it's a comic book game and therefore we're to expect a shitty story. But it would be really awesome if just for once we could get a story that wasn't totally halfassed.

I know Kazenji's going to ask me how the plot is cliche, he can't help himself, but all the same I'm really tired of the "zomg robots are turning on us!" plot. Like, no one in the spiderman universe is smart enough to realize that allowing a corporation to build a giant army of super robots right in the middle of town is potentially a horrible idea?

BloodRain
Has that plot got anything to do with the movie?

RE: Blaxican
I'm not sure. The movie's main villain is supposedly going to be the Lizard, so I'm not sure how an army of evil OsCorp robots fits into that.

Digi
Well, I can't disagree with your assessment Blax, but it could be said that the SM games aren't meant to be played for their story. I've enjoyed a lot of them in the series, but can't really remember any story that stands out. Either it was cliche as hell, or just a loose plot that found ways to shoehorn a dozen different villains into it. Could it be more? Sure. But does the game hinge on that? No. The robot fight sequence was larger in scope than I remember seeing in any previous game, so there's some potential for it to kick ass in new ways.

jalek moye
i though Web of Shadows had a pretty good story *shrug* or at least closer to how a story could play out with a decent spidey writer.

Especially since it managed to involve with various other new york based heroes like an actual event would.

Digi
WoS was the only one I didn't play. The stories were all forgettable in the others (1, 2, and 3 which loosely followed the movies, and "Ultimate"wink. All were good though, 2 being the pinnacle.

Martian_mind
. Flawed and sloppy as it was, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was the same way and was a riot. .

Shut.The.****.up.

jalek moye
WoS was the only one I didn't play. The stories were all forgettable in the others (1, 2, and 3 which loosely followed the movies, and "Ultimate"wink. All were good though, 2 being the pinnacle.

I know. I'm indirectly telling you to go play it and quit being a bum

Digi
I know. I'm indirectly telling you to go play it and quit being a bum

Lol.

I have like 300 hours worth of games, probably another 50 in books, and some RL projects all in front of it. Talk to me in a year, maybe I'll have gotten to it. There was a nice 3-year stretch out of college where I had zero obligations and could play games as fast as I wanted. I'm having to pare that down now.

srankmissingnin
Lol.

I have like 300 hours worth of games, probably another 50 in books, and some RL projects all in front of it. Talk to me in a year, maybe I'll have gotten to it. There was a nice 3-year stretch out of college where I had zero obligations and could play games as fast as I wanted. I'm having to pare that down now.

Get your priorities straight! Fake an injury and get on workers comps so you can play video games all day, it's the only logical solution really.

Digi
The "play it the week it comes out" mentality has always been lost on me. I get around to the games I want, just not always on the same feverish release schedule that seems to dominate headlines. Even when I played more, I'd be months behind the curve and wouldn't really give a ****. It's only in the multiplayer-intensive games (which I usually loathe) that timing matters.

I'm also just getting around to watching Smallville. Great show.

Kazenji
Those ones from the PS1 days from neversoft were good...well only the first one since thats the only one i played.

JayDaDon
I'd like a spidey game with the same mentality as batman AA. A game that makes you feel that you're spider-man. From the ground up. That's how arkham asylum made you feel. You were batman and everything he's known for you have access to. Imagine a spidey game where you could use his strength to throw cars at the rhino or use a special attack that lets you use his super-speed flurry attacks. Where his webbing is actually damn useful against bosses. A game that makes you have to use your brain against the bosses( like AA and like spidey in comics) I dunno I just want a completely, back to the drawing board spidey game.

Digi
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I'd like a spidey game with the same mentality as batman AA. A game that makes you feel that you're spider-man. From the ground up. That's how arkham asylum made you feel. You were batman and everything he's known for you have access to. Imagine a spidey game where you could use his strength to throw cars at the rhino or use a special attack that lets you use his super-speed flurry attacks. Where his webbing is actually damn useful against bosses. A game that makes you have to use your brain against the bosses( like AA and like spidey in comics) I dunno I just want a completely, back to the drawing board spidey game.

So basically, better boss fights. The existing games actually do a pretty good job of the things you mentioned. the movement, combat, etc. is all as fluid as one would expect.

I agree though, formulaic boss fights suck. Though that plagued Arkham Asylum as well....there's few that transcend that aspect of superhero games.

jalek moye
Shattered dimensions got boss fights right imo

Mix that with good freeroam and you'll have it down.

Just give spidey his normal game combat style. i hate his construct based fighting in the dimensions series.

JayDaDon
So basically, better boss fights. The existing games actually do a pretty good job of the things you mentioned. the movement, combat, etc. is all as fluid as one would expect.

I agree though, formulaic boss fights suck. Though that plagued Arkham Asylum as well....there's few that transcend that aspect of superhero games.

Well better boss fights is just one of the things I'd like to see. Like imagine a system implemented where you could fight on walls, in the air, bounce around the room dodging attacks. In stead of different games with different things to offer, we get one game that gives us everything spidey can do. A game where you'll need all those abilities just to survive. Basically a higher quality game is what I'd like. Let's face it the past few spidey games haven't been blockbuster hits.

Digi
Originally posted by JayDaDon
Well better boss fights is just one of the things I'd like to see. Like imagine a system implemented where you could fight on walls, in the air, bounce around the room dodging attacks. In stead of different games with different things to offer, we get one game that gives us everything spidey can do. A game where you'll need all those abilities just to survive. Basically a higher quality game is what I'd like. Let's face it the past few spidey games haven't been blockbuster hits.

...would be awesome, but considerably more difficult. Unfortunately, especially with large comic book franchises, the hardcore base is not the target demographic. I agree though.

jinXed by JaNx
Spiderman only works as a free roam in my opinion. I thought SM2 was a great game. I dont know why they didnt continue that template. All the had to fix was some combat and targeting issues and give people a reason to explore the city other than foiling the same five crimes over and over

Digi
The music in that trailer is good, I wonder what it is (from the movie, maybe?)

Kazenji
Stan Lee to be a playable character for the game

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansi...r/news/?a=55436

Greysen93
Yeah, I think this game looks pretty great especially if it's anything like Spidey 2. But, I think Rhino in this game looks pretty cool.

-Pr-
Gameplay:

xSesiqd0mkE

-Pr-
More web-swinging, plus actual combat vs Rhino:

DiKT_6KGm9g

Digi
Good times, looks promising.

Once or twice it looks like he webs air while swinging. I hope they keep the "you actually need a building to swing from" mechanic. Way back in Spider-Man 1 you could swing from the clouds, apparently. It was dumb.

KingD19
Soooooooo much clouds. You could be invincible uber powerful Captain Universe Spider-Man though so it was okay.

Estacado
I was getting bored of Spider-Man games lately but I can't wait to play this one!!

KingD19
The Web Rush mechanic looks crazy.

BlackZero30x
What I love more then anything in any spider-man game based on the movie is all of the villians that they try to bring into it! I will get this because I have had every previous movie based spidy game!

-Pr-
I'm seriously considering buying it...

Demonic Phoenix
Spider-Man 2's Web Swinging gameplay looks to be better than this game's, but will have to wait and see. Game looks pretty nice though, but it won't be a Day 1 Purchase for me. Have to read some reviews.

Impediment
The Rhino fight looks identical to Ultimate Spider-Man's.

The game looks amazing, though. I just might have to buy this one, too.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
Spider-Man 2's Web Swinging gameplay looks to be better than this game's, but will have to wait and see.

Really?

from what i'm seeing in the vid its the other way around.

Estacado
Originally posted by -Pr-
I'm seriously considering buying it...
thumb up

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Kazenji
Really?

from what i'm seeing in the vid its the other way around. I think it's because the physics for the swinging in that game felt better. I have to agree actually. It kind of irritates me how the webs connect to the sky in this game.

Kazenji
Stan Lee vignette for the game

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/othersideoftheverse/news/?a=61940

0mega Spawn
ah don't bring back those SM1 memories
swinging off the moon & shit

Scythe
Game is pretty awesome. The one I picked up had a voucher for two free movie tickets, so it was worth it in price since a friend of mine and I wanna go see this next week. Haven't had much time with it since I don't want most ofthe movie spoiled, the first 25 mins of the movie seem to wreck you with spoilers.

Kazenji
I've heard about with the movie that there's some loose ends with it and this game ties them up

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/07/how-the-spider-man-game-picks-up-on-the-spider-man-movies-missing-threads/

Scythe
What sucks is that a sequel film could at any given moment just throw all that out in an instant. From what I gathered in that E3 interview I was watchin' they were simply sayin' the games aren't canon and future works could probably not include em. It'd be sweet if they did, make the games worth a shit, but if it's another X-Men film game I played where they explained why Nightcrawler wasn't in X3, the film was just like: 'F*ck that'

Digi
Was thinking of buying. Read some reviews.

Repetitive but not terrible missions, mediocre story, boss fights, etc. Stealth and combat similar to the Batman games. All predictable and tolerable.

Web-swinging? Very good. Ok, cool. That's seriously the heart of Spidey games. Was leaning toward buying.

...then I learned that you can just swing from the air.

erm

Won't be buying.

SamZED
thumb up
How difficult is it to make a game with modern graphics AND realistic physics ala SM? Also they praise webrush.. Dont really like it when you press a button and the character does everything for you.

Kazenji
Maybe Beenox needs to let go of the Spider-Man license and let someone else take over.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.