Black Death (2010)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
Epic good movie. It'll make you feel warm and tingly inside. Dafoe Christ approves. This is what I expected from Valhalla Rising, which didn't deliver. This did. Fun times, the bubonic plague!!! roll eyes (sarcastic)

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2011/01/sean-bean-black-death.jpg

Happy Dance

jinXed by JaNx
shitty movie with an anti climatic ending....,watch iron clad in stead

Patient_Leech
I'll admit that it has kind of a B-movie style with the shaky-cam. The direction is really nothing special. However, I don't see how you can say the ending was anti-climactic. The story is what made up for anything it lacked in style. It was epically irreverent.

devil

RE: Blaxican
He probably dislikes it for the same reason most people disliked The Immortals. Most human beings on Earth don't enjoy movies of shitty B-movie quality.

Robtard
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

I have both downloaded and both look 'meh' at best.

Ironclad does deliver though? 1-10 scale?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
He probably dislikes it for the same reason most people disliked The Immortals. Most human beings on Earth don't enjoy movies of shitty B-movie quality.

That brings us to an interesting philosophical question: what elements, exactly, constitute a "b-movie"? And does a movie need all of said elements to be thus considered? If not, how many of them does it need? *strokes beard* hm..

I feel that far too many people here are too quick to right off movies as "shitty," when there are redeeming qualities. I mean, Jesus, not everything has to be The Shawshank f#cking Redemption to be worth checking out. We're here to discuss this interesting thing called film.. can we at least TRY to be a somewhat more eloquent than referring to everything as either "good" or "shit." Black Death doesn't stand out stylistically, but it's worth your time if you're into violent and irreverent religious drama (which I am). I felt it delivered on that respect quite well. Perhaps melodramatic, though it is.

Esau Cairn
What is it about Sean Bean's character always dying?

srankmissingnin
Black Death is like Season of the Witch, but instead of staring Nicholas Cage and sucking, it stars Sean Bean and is awesome. cool

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
What is it about Sean Bean's character always dying?

Maybe he's just morbid like that.. or has a death wish. lol. What else did he die in? I'm not sure I've seen him in anything else..

EvilAngel

Patient_Leech

Black Death has a fresher rating..

Black Death (69%) (2010)
Ironclad (44%) (2011)

...I might check out Ironclad also, though, at some point.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Robtard
I have both downloaded and both look 'meh' at best.

Ironclad does deliver though? 1-10 scale?

Yeah, Ironclad delivers. I'd give it a 7/10 no less than a 6. The action is your typical medieval fare...,in your face angles with plenty of gore and some decent choreography. The story is a little weak and if you are familiar with these type of movies or history it will be rather predictable and might drag on a bit during the second act but i had fun with the acting and characters. I also thought the production value was quite impressive for the budget. I would also highly suggest Arn. Arn is better than Ironclad. Its more of a character study with epic action as well but the character development is why you would watch, Arn. It can be compelling at times.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
I'll admit that it has kind of a B-movie style with the shaky-cam. The direction is really nothing special. However, I don't see how you can say the ending was anti-climactic. The story is what made up for anything it lacked in style. It was epically irreverent.

devil

I actually thought the Directing and cinematography are the strongest aspects of, Black Death. The one thing the movie does very well is setting an atmosphere. The reason i say it's anti-climatic is because the characters don't grow in anyway aside from one of the main characters renouncing his religion and becoming a bitter loathsome person. There is essentially no resolve to the story...,it just kind of ends and it ends exactly the way the rest of the movie suggests it will. there is a moment in the film where you think things might turn around in the third act and some things will come to light making the story deeper and impactful but that never comes.
If i could post spoilers id go into more detail or i would at least be more articulate. Just the fact that what happens to all of the characters happens makes the movie anti-climatic for me.

Patient_Leech
...If i could post spoilers id go into more detail or i would at least be more articulate. Just the fact that what happens to all of the characters happens makes the movie anti-climatic for me.

Go ahead and post spoilers. That's what the spoiler code is for. Cuz I don't think I quite understand what you're trying to say. Perhaps "anti-climactic" isn't the term you're looking for, then? Cuz I find it pretty fukking climactic... it gets pretty tense when the Christians and anti-Christians (so to speak) butt heads and really fukk each other up. And the main character's metamorphosis/arch is pretty interesting if you ask me.. going from priest to vengeful prick. Perhaps you're looking for the world "upleasant"? Or "not-satisfying"? Or "not edifying"? lol. But it's definitely climactic.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.