No question is a stupid one right?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
Let me ask you guys a question. If we had more than one moon, would our gravity be heavier, lighter or the same? This question has been plaguing me for a very long time, but I was afraid to ask anyone, because I didn't know if it was a stupid question to ask.

Can anyone answer this?

Cyner
like any of us know... lol

I have no idea man. I would think that our gravity would have to be a bit higher to keep another object so large in it's field. However we may already have strong enough gravity for that. Even if there was a second moon and it's gravity produced an effect where we felt lighter, it would only be because of that moon and not because the gravity on the planet itself would be any different...

ADarksideJedi
No idea and you are right no question is never a stupid question.

Mindship
Originally posted by Stoic
Let me ask you guys a question. If we had more than one moon, would our gravity be heavier, lighter or the same? This question has been plaguing me for a very long time, but I was afraid to ask anyone, because I didn't know if it was a stupid question to ask.

Can anyone answer this? Earth's gravity would not change. Possibly, though, we might feel lighter because (as Cyner touched on) we'd have another heavenly body pulling on us from above (it's the reason we have tides).

IMO, the only stupid question is a question with an obvious answer that the asker didn't bother to check. And yours does Not qualify.

jaden101
Our planet would still exert the same gravitional pull as it would still have the same mass...The effects of the other moon would be due to it's mass and whether it was closer or further away but, in my understanding at least, the gravitional pull on you from the earth regardless of whether there was 1, 2 or no moons would still be the same. Bear in mind that gravity is an extremely weak force which is the reason you can easily pick a stone off the ground despite the fact that the entire mass of the earth is pulling it down.

Bear in mind that gravity still isn't fully understood anyway.

Deja~vu
Because the moons pull at our tides then it would also pull at ourselves since we are mostly made of water. I remember reading that crime acts rise when there is a full moon, maybe it would change some of our actions since there would be a stronger pull.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by jaden101
Our planet would still exert the same gravitional pull as it would still have the same mass...The effects of the other moon would be due to it's mass and whether it was closer or further away but, in my understanding at least, the gravitional pull on you from the earth regardless of whether there was 1, 2 or no moons would still be the same.

The Earth's gravitational pull wouldn't change but the amount of gravity you feel (or rather measure with exacting precision) would.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by jaden101
Our planet would still exert the same gravitional pull as it would still have the same mass...The effects of the other moon would be due to it's mass and whether it was closer or further away but, in my understanding at least, the gravitional pull on you from the earth regardless of whether there was 1, 2 or no moons would still be the same. Bear in mind that gravity is an extremely weak force which is the reason you can easily pick a stone off the ground despite the fact that the entire mass of the earth is pulling it down.

Bear in mind that gravity still isn't fully understood anyway.
And little magnets can overpower it.

Stoic
Thanks for the info guys, I wondered about this subject for months now, and had no idea what the answer to it was.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.