Classic Strange vs Odin

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carver9
Both at their peaks. Can't use outside tools like the Destroyer, etc, etc..

Who wins?

zopzop
I'm still giving it to Odin 9/10. The one win I give Strange is in case he pulls something spectacular from his butt.

TheHulk
Odin 7-8/10

guy222
odin

complexbrother
I say Odin, but I'm shocked that the Dr. Strange fans on here didn't chime up more .

quanchi112
Odin wins.

guy222
headbutt ftw stick out tongue

JakeTheBank
Odin.

Magnon
Hmm.. tough call. Classic Dr. Strange can kill a hungry Galactus with a simple gesture,

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/59088/1895915-strangevsgalactus1_super.jpg
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/5/59088/1895918-strangevsgalactus2_super.jpg

whereas Odin can only momentarily KO a reasonably-well-fed Galactus,

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/67064/2023348-odin_vs_galactus.jpg

AFAIK, Odin doesn't have many showings against the higher cosmic powers such as the Living Tribunal, Mistress Death, Eternity and the Infinity Gauntlet (whereas Classic Strange does), so there are not many common measuring sticks... Well, maybe Surtur and Ymir, which were little more than toys to Classic Dr. Strange:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/4679/avengers06119kz0.jpg

So if I based my opinion objectively on feats alone, I'd have to say Classic Dr. Strange every time. However, in this case I'm willing to - perhaps irrationally - give the old Skyfather some credit and vote for...

A Draw. 5/10 for both combatants.

Uriel005
will strange be willing to call on black magic?

KMC USER
Classic Strange ftw , if Ymir and Surtur are toys to him then he is >> odin

Uriel005
Originally posted by KMC USER
Classic Strange ftw , if Ymir and Surtur are toys to him then he is >> odin Strange has much more variable feats though. High and Low.

Sundipped
Steve at his best can compete with Odin and pull off a few.

Nihilist
Odin wins, but Doc at his best would give him a good fight.

Stoic
Originally posted by Magnon
Hmm.. tough call. Classic Dr. Strange can kill a hungry Galactus with a simple gesture,

AFAIK, Odin doesn't have many showings against the higher cosmic powers such as the Living Tribunal, Mistress Death, Eternity and the Infinity Gauntlet (whereas Classic Strange does), so there are not many common measuring sticks... Well, maybe Surtur and Ymir, which were little more than toys to Classic Dr. Strange:

So if I based my opinion objectively on feats alone, I'd have to say Classic Dr. Strange every time. However, in this case I'm willing to - perhaps irrationally - give the old Skyfather some credit and vote for...

A Draw. 5/10 for both combatants.

I'm not sure if the two are interchangeable. Galactus is a creature whose entire existence is based on the struggle to survive, and he is also a character based on super science (glaring weakness)? Whereas Odin is a character based on mysticism, and does not have to fight off the ever increasing hunger that serves only to weaken him as any particular battle with a worthy opponent proceeds.

Odin wins imo.

Black bolt z
Odin should get a good majority

Laminator_X
Strange at his best wins. Anything less from the Doctor cedes the day to the All-Father.

cdtm
Originally posted by carver9
Both at their peaks. Can't use outside tools like the Destroyer, etc, etc..

Who wins?

Strange, with ease.

Uriel005
Originally posted by Laminator_X
Strange at his best wins. Anything less from the Doctor cedes the day to the All-Father. under these stips I side with strange overall... on the condition this is each of them at their absolute most powerful under there own power. At his height Strange is a universal scale character when operating under the full heading of the sorcerer supreme on par with the ancient one. That said on his absolute peak days I'd put him over Odin with ease. Anything else is much more hit and miss and i give Odin majority if they get no outside artifacts and powers.

guy222
not enough tricks for bag to use

odin is a 'god' strange is a mystic with a bag of hope laughing out loud

Uriel005
Originally posted by guy222
not enough tricks for bag to use

odin is a 'god' strange is a mystic with a bag of hope laughing out loud have to disagree with you there. Strange at his peak is high scale cosmic before calling on other deities. But like I said the occurences of him doing such things is a few times in his history. But then again odin busting galaxies is a 1-2 time thing iirc

quanchi112
Odin wins.

Sr J-Bieb
Odin 10/10

Rage.Of.Olympus

Tbf to Galactus, he was starving during that instance. This is a situation though that Odin's mastery of magic (His the greatest sorcerer in Asgard, better than even Loki or the Norn Queen. I would have liked to see him use actual sorcery instead of just raw power against the World Eater) would give him an advantage over Galactus.

Well, maybe Surtur and Ymir, which were little more than toys to Classic Dr. Strange:

Yea.....Doctor Strange didn't actually defeat Ymir/Surtur. He used the crystal of the Satannish cult to teleport the two entities into each other after he mastered it, which canceled out their existence on this plane. As such, it's not really applicable as a reference point. Context.

It's been a while since I read the arc but I remember it being pretty clear that the crystal was their only hope of saving the world from their cosmic power or whatever, meaning I wouldn't bank on Strange taking them on solo like that.

Also, was there every anymore to this appearance? I'm asking, because Surtur/Ymir were treated as manifestations of elements (Surtur at least has some physical substance) and the fire demon was trapped on Asgard at this time.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Also, was there every anymore to this appearance? I'm asking, because Surtur/Ymir were treated as manifestations of elements (Surtur at least has some physical substance) and the fire demon was trapped on Asgard at this time. If you think there was more, and it's a Strange feat, then chances are there was plenty more... on this forum.

Strange KO'ing Galactus with a blast happened... if you don't post the rest of the scans
Strange easily trapping and beating Surfer happened... if Surfer didn't break out and if it was actually Surfer.
etc

Hell, even in the new respect thread you get the same thing, and non canon scans.

Point is, when it comes to Strange, oddly context doesn't matter to fans. I'm going to go look through this appearance too Rage

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
If you think there was more, and it's a Strange feat, then chances are there was plenty more... on this forum.

Strange KO'ing Galactus with a blast happened... if you don't post the rest of the scans
Strange easily trapping and beating Surfer happened... if Surfer didn't break out and if it was actually Surfer.
etc

Hell, even in the new respect thread you get the same thing, and non canon scans.

Point is, when it comes to Strange, oddly context doesn't matter to fans. I'm going to go look through this appearance too Rage

thumb up

I used to mistakenly believe Classic Strange was this nigh unstoppable omnipotent being until I starting reading and looking for the context on my own. He's highly impressive, but he employs the use of context and plot device and the odd example of outright PIS to do the things he's done. And even bringing up said context or asking if there was any of note actually offends some of his backers.

Sr J-Bieb
Oh ya, forgot about this thread...
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
Yea.....Doctor Strange didn't actually defeat Ymir/Surtur. He used the crystal of the Satannish cult to teleport the two entities into each other after he mastered it, which canceled out their existence on this plane. As such, it's not really applicable as a reference point. Context.

It's been a while since I read the arc but I remember it being pretty clear that the crystal was their only hope of saving the world from their cosmic power or whatever, meaning I wouldn't bank on Strange taking them on solo like that.

Also, was there every anymore to this appearance? I'm asking, because Surtur/Ymir were treated as manifestations of elements (Surtur at least has some physical substance) and the fire demon was trapped on Asgard at this time. Look at how easy Strange treated Surtur and Ymir like toys!
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/sonnendawg/Avengers061_09a.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/sonnendawg/Avengers061_12b.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/sonnendawg/Avengers061_13a.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/sonnendawg/Avengers061_15a.jpg
http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m610/sonnendawg/Avengers061_15b.jpg

And this was all just to teleport Ymir/Surtur... how relevant to Odin since Odin has no defense against being teleported... even if he had the Crystal and even if it worked on Odin

That was Ymir and Surtur though. They were set free in that arc

leonidas
yeesh, at this rate poor stevie is gonna be relegated to the meta tier....

Lord Feron
Originally posted by zopzop
I'm still giving it to Odin 9/10. The one win I give Strange is in case he pulls something spectacular from his butt.

Sundipped
Originally posted by leonidas
yeesh, at this rate poor stevie is gonna be relegated to the meta tier....

laughing out loud Keep dreaming.

leonidas
big grin

guy222
Originally posted by Uriel005
have to disagree with you there. Strange at his peak is high scale cosmic before calling on other deities. But like I said the occurences of him doing such things is a few times in his history. But then again odin busting galaxies is a 1-2 time thing iirc

with a trick friend

odin way too high on the scale for doc to contend with

and i agree i never put much stock in odin busting galaxies or making humans....

i always liked him being g = yet that was retconned with fraction's nonsense

Sundipped
If you think there was more, and it's a Strange feat, then chances are there was plenty more... on this forum.

etc

Doc did ko Big G with Images of Ikon. Plain as day on panel. I only posted maybe a couple non cannon scans in the new respect thread but all high end stuff is certified cannon. I only have Doc shielding himself vs. Surfer which isn't absurd considering all that he's shielded himself against.

At no point have I attempted to mislead anyone concerning Strange. Only stated what happened on panel.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Sundipped
Doc did ko Big G with Images of Ikon. Plain as day on panel. I only posted maybe a couple non cannon scans in the new respect thread but all high end stuff is certified cannon. I only have Doc shielding himself vs. Surfer which isn't absurd considering all that he's shielded himself against.

At no point have I attempted to mislead anyone concerning Strange. Only stated what happened on panel. I don't want to get into an argument with you about your respect thread, but...

I wasn't talking about that, or about you in the first two.
Plus, Galactus was shrinking the whole time from being really hungry, and the Surfer scene is actually FrankenSurfer

See, that's the thing, why would you post non canon scans and never state that they were actually 'non canon'?

I haven't taken the time to look over your thread too much, but I did see some things that are a little misleading. Little gripes.
Although it is much better than the previous thread, as that was 90 percent lies.

Sundipped
FOriginally posted by JakeTheBank
thumb up

I used to mistakenly believe Classic Strange was this nigh unstoppable omnipotent being until I starting reading and looking for the context on my own. He's highly impressive, but he employs the use of context and plot device and the odd example of outright PIS to do the things he's done. And even bringing up said context or asking if there was any of note actually offends some of his backers.

Not that many cases of PIS as you may think. Him just having the title / powers of a sorcerer supreme explains a lot of what he does. I never got offended behind contextual circumstances although I can't speak for these mysterious backers.

Oh yeah, you are right though. He is highly impressive. cool

blue_beast
Wow i just love the fact Classic strange is always a respected high end being but once he goes up against odin people suddenly tune him down, i see that things didnt change since 2009 - 2010 odin is still the justin bieber here blink

Sundipped
I don't want to get into an argument with you about your respect thread, but...

I wasn't talking about that, or about you in the first two.
Plus, Galactus was shrinking the whole time from being really hungry, and the Surfer scene is actually FrankenSurfer

See, that's the thing, why would you post non canon scans and never state that they were actually 'non canon'?

I haven't taken the time to look over your thread too much, but I did see some things that are a little misleading. Little gripes.
Although it is much better than the previous thread, as that was 90 percent lies.

Oh ok. I understand that you were replying to someone else. That was really just a case of someone else misinterpreting the scans. The scan I used even stated Doc used the Crystal but hey it happens all the time.

Never listed the couples of non cannon scans as such because they were only minor feats which would probably never be referenced for anything anyway. Just threw em in there.

If you notice I only used the FranenSurfer scan for Docs shield section. I never bothered to post the whole encounter because of the fact it would cause confusion. As for Galactus, I stated the reason why I deemed that attack really effective. Others may differ but it's an opinionated stance.

Sr J-Bieb
Oh ok. I understand that you were replying to someone else. That was really just a case of someone else misinterpreting the scans. The scan I used even stated Doc used the Crystal but hey it happens all the time.

Never listed the couples of non cannon scans as such because they were only minor feats which would probably never be referenced for anything anyway. Just threw em in there.

If you notice I only used the FranenSurfer scan for Docs shield section. I never bothered to post the whole encounter because of the fact it would cause confusion. As for Galactus, I stated the reason why I deemed that attack really effective. Others may differ but it's an opinionated stance. I saw Korvac BFR'ing Strange because of threat, and him 'turning the world to jelly' scans last time I was in there...

Oh, I know why you didn't post the whole thing. shifty
Ya, I never said I had a problem with that. Just saying that it's Galactus at one of his absolute lowest in comics in terms of hunger (the other being the mini with Galactus).

Sundipped
I saw Korvac BFR'ing Strange because of threat, and him 'turning the world to jelly' scans last time I was in there...

Oh, I know why you didn't post the whole thing. shifty
Ya, I never said I had a problem with that. Just saying that it's Galactus at one of his absolute lowest in comics in terms of hunger (the other being the mini with Galactus).

That's the couple. The Korvac scan fit well in the highly acclaimed section didn't really feel the need to list it non canon. The world to jelly just for kicks. Started to not even post it tbh.

Can you blame mefor not posting it? sad

Docs attack was/is a perfect fit for Galactus due to the nature of its effects weak or not.

Sr J-Bieb
That's the couple. The Korvac scan fit well in the highly acclaimed section didn't really feel the need to list it non canon. The world to jelly just for kicks. Started to not even post it tbh.

Can you blame mefor not posting it? sad

Docs attack was/is a perfect fit for Galactus due to the nature of its effects weak or not. I remember more, but those certainly aren't low feats to just "throw in there".

"Ya, I never said I had a problem with that."

Sundipped
I remember more, but those certainly aren't low feats to just "throw in there".

"Ya, I never said I had a problem with that."

See this is why I started to not even post em. Long as it fitted in 1 of the categories and is relevant to his powerset was all I was thinking.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.