DOnnie Darko

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rotiart
Has anyone seen it. And if so can you tell me what kind of genre it would fall in and whether it is a good movie.

I am not lookin for spoilers. Simply an idea of hat the movie is about.

For example my ex once told me to watch the village and I was worrie it was a horror... Turned out to be a great movie. I'm looking to know where it lies so I can decide if I wanna watch it.

Thanks

Placidity
I thought it was lame.

It is listed as Drama/Mystery/Sci-fi

It has a little bit of scariness.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by rotiart
I'm looking to know where it lies so I can decide if I wanna watch it.

Thanks

Why so rigid in deciding what movies you watch?

Donnie Darko's not everyone's cup of tea.
It's a film where you take it for what it is or delve deeper into the conspiracies of "alternate dimensions."

It's a very broad, "What If..." film.

Robtard
Film's not bad, it worth the watch. Decent sound-track iirc.

rotiart
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
Why so rigid in deciding what movies you watch?

Donnie Darko's not everyone's cup of tea.
It's a film where you take it for what it is or delve deeper into the conspiracies of "alternate dimensions."

It's a very broad, "What If..." film.

I'm not a fan of true horror or gore movies.
Ie stuff like the ring I don't like. Though I've watched it
Stuff like the sixth sense I do

Does that make sense? It just a matter of tastes on movies. I don't like being scared just to be scared.

Recently saw the lovely bones for example. Great movie, though the ending seemed a bit anticlimactic. Very visual and decent storyline.

rudester
I love donnie darko. It's one of my fav well was back in the day when I was getting into movies and such.

The story line is about a boy who is a bit narcissistic, sorta rude to authority, tells people st8 up how it is. The whole movie takes you on his adventure dealing with his struggles meanwhile talking about time travel. It's entertaining if you like to see people get their up-comings but its not for the religous type. I would say its falls in the same movie as, Ghost World. or Art school confidential. Blunt but truthful.

no_1_movie_fan
I'd call it a horror.It's a weird film that doesn't really invite the audience into it, it's more to work out for themselves.

rudester
Originally posted by no_1_movie_fan
I'd call it a horror.It's a weird film that doesn't really invite the audience into it, it's more to work out for themselves.

It's not horror? Who would get scared from donnie darko? Its more like drama not a thriller.

Patient_Leech
Yeah, definitely not a horror movie. Kind of a quirky teen drama thriller with a hint of of the supernatural, perhaps. I was intrigued by it the first time I saw it, but I saw it again and found it more annoying than anything. I've never seen the Director's Cut, though..

(edit: whoa, this is my 777th post... the mark of the false beast! Haha)

rudester
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, definitely not a horror movie. Kind of a quirky teen drama thriller with a hint of of the supernatural, perhaps. I was intrigued by it the first time I saw it, but I saw it again and found it more annoying than anything. I've never seen the Director's Cut, though..

(edit: whoa, this is my 777th post... the mark of the false beast! Haha)

I have the film with the cut..I like the film but it is kinda depressing after a while, you should check out some of the deleted scenes which I'm sure are on youtube... its funny. I would have loved too see the story go more into some characters. I actually worked on a script, called Donnie Darko 2, to replace the crap that they made afterwards. Trust me its not worth downloading.

Impediment
Donnie Darko is anything but horror. If anything, it's a Sci-fi surreal film. There isnt even a true element of thriller. Personally, I love this film. I recommend it.

siriuswriter
Donnie Darko does have a sequel, I think it's called D. Darko or something like that, it's about the sister.

rudester
"donnie darko that sounds like a super hero"...ralph

no_1_movie_fan
Originally posted by no_1_movie_fan
I'd call it a horror.It's a weird film that doesn't really invite the audience into it, it's more to work out for themselves. I think someone younger would get scared. It depends on the person watching the film.

CadoAngelus
I would consider it a Semi-Sci-Fi / Thriller / Drama.

It's a good film, I loved it. I loved how it plays on your mind and you have to work most things out yourself. It's a thinkers film.

Reason I say semi-sci-fi is purely because the idea of quantum theory and "alternate dimensions" are practiced fringe science, ad therefore aren't so much fiction.

The sequel 'S. Darko: Donnie Darko II' is about Donnies sister coming to terms with the end scene of Donnie Darko. It's not so much a sequel, more like a mind **** that tries to continue the feel of Donnie Darko and fails hard. I'd say the sequel is more akin to a horror/thriller.

Wingsprint
Jared Laughner's website was full of his own renditions of him dressed as the rabbit....and carrying out strange burnings and similar scenes as indicated in the film...before they took down his website he had a list of his movies...I think you can still find the videos of him dressed as the rabbit.....he was obviously obssessed with the film....

rudester
Originally posted by CadoAngelus

The sequel 'S. Darko: Donnie Darko II' is about Donnies sister coming to terms with the end scene of Donnie Darko. It's not so much a sequel, more like a mind **** that tries to continue the feel of Donnie Darko and fails hard. I'd say the sequel is more akin to a horror/thriller.

The sequel S Darko was crap... It had no original ideas? It made no sense, it was trying to be the same movie but had nothing to do with the original. Her brother died so every one else in the world is depressed?? (give me a break)

When it comes to sequels rarely do I like them because they can never be as good as the first, although there have been it's rarely the case.

S. Darko should have been about things that they never showed in the first film, it could have been about the teacher; it could have been about the old lady, it could have been about the friends of donnie dealing with his own death, it could have been about his parents relationship...so on and so forth.

I personally would have made the movie about Donnie being still alive but not in the same dimension; Donnie trying to contact his family but not being able to because he's a ghost of some form. His death in the movie wasn't a normal death, therefore it opens itself up to many possibilities...

0mega Spawn
I remember being scared of that bunny & tearing up because of Donnie dying.

maryd094
Good enough!http://www.infoocean.info/avatar4.jpg

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.