Did Thanos defeat Thor with the PG?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KuRuPT Thanosi
I see some people calling it a stalemate...

I see others saying Thor was superior because it was just a matter of time before he won

Other say, going by forum rules, Thanos clearly and undisputably won.

Which is it?

JakeTheBank
He incapacitated Thor using a device he happened to have on hand. So, yes, I'd count that as a win as Thor was out of action for more than a few minutes.

Obviously, without Thanos just happening to have that on hand (which to me was a plot device means of stopping Thor long enough for the story to progress) things would have been a lot different. But yes, by forum rules, I'd say that counts as a victory for Thanos as he incap'd Thor, who was unable to fight back.

Sundipped
It will be a lot of people drop in on this. I say Thanos won via forceblock. cool
Woulda been a good fight if allowed to continue under normal circumstances.

quanchi112
Yes, Thanos won.

bbrem123
yes it would have been a much better fight if he didnt use the weapon....but thanos would have just found another way to stop thor.

but yes thanos won

Mshinu
Yes, Thanos won.

psycho gundam
thanos just put a "pause" in the fight, his calculations said thor was going to become even too much for him to handle in a short amount of time so if you call that a win than well.....

thanos at least showed he was strong and durable enough to get slugged by thor in that condition, but let's not kid ourselves.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by psycho gundam
thanos just put a "pause" in the fight, his calculations said thor was going to become even too much for him to handle in a short amount of time so if you call that a win than well.....

thanos at least showed he was strong and durable enough to get slugged by thor in that condition, but let's not kid ourselves.

thumb up

In the very technical sense of the word, he did win if you want to count incapacitation as a victory per forum rules. Thor was out of action for more than a few minutes, so meh.

Obviously, without that handy gadget that just happened to be there, there would had been Mad Titan brains splattered all over the place.

psycho gundam
yeah, a "forum win".

Nihilist
No it was a draw

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
thumb up

In the very technical sense of the word, he did win if you want to count incapacitation as a victory per forum rules. Thor was out of action for more than a few minutes, so meh.

Obviously, without that handy gadget that just happened to be there, there would had been Mad Titan brains splattered all over the place.

Well it was easy enough for him to incorporate into his powerset in mere moments before going to talk to Odin.

Lets also remember it wasn't mere minutes... Thor was incapacitated for quite sometime... hours..

Lastly, lets not exaggerate here... Thor couldn't even break out of device Thanos was testing for hours... He didn't show any superiority over Thanos during their encounter. Sure, eventually he might have gotten too powerful for Thanos to handle....but that might have taken hours and hours to get to that point AND Thanos wouldn't just sit there at let that happen. Thanos is exponentionally more intelligent and way better at strategy.. so we would further have to assume Thanos wouldn't come up with anything else or have anything else lying around OR displace the gem from Thor. All things that are a bit of a stretch when we are talking about Thanos.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Well it was easy enough for him to incorporate into his powerset in mere moments before going to talk to Odin.

Lets also remember it wasn't mere minutes... Thor was incapacitated for quite sometime... hours..

Lastly, lets not exaggerate here... Thor couldn't even break out of device Thanos was testing for hours... He didn't show any superiority over Thanos during their encounter. Sure, eventually he might have gotten too powerful for Thanos to handle....but that might have taken hours and hours to get to that point AND Thanos wouldn't just sit there at let that happen. Thanos is exponentionally more intelligent and way better at strategy.. so we would further have to assume Thanos wouldn't come up with anything else or have anything else lying around OR displace the gem from Thor. All things that are a bit of a stretch when we are talking about Thanos.

I don't dispute that at all.

And you're right, which is what I said. Thor wasn't out of action for minutes. If he had been, I'd be less inclined to give him the win.

Had Thanos not stopped Thor with an experimental device which he just happened to have on him (which is the very definition of plot device), things wouldn't have fared well for him. Thanos himself conceded the point and while Thanos could have whipped out another ploy from nowhere, it's conjecture and speculation at best.

zopzop
I consider that a win for Thanos. So yeah, he did defeat Thor with PG.

Stoic
Yep Thanos won, but I have to agree with Psycho, and Jake in terms of context. A win is a win though. Thanos is the man.

TheLordofMurder
Thanos definitely won; using your own tech to secure a win is fair game...

I do, however, think it was rather PIS'ish that an insane, homicidal, Thor simply allowed Thanos to turn away from the battle and calmly walk off...

If I was Thor in that situation, Thanos would have been subjected to a full strength Mjolnir bash in the back of the head...bare minimum.

But anyway, Thanos won...

quanchi112
Originally posted by TheLordofMurder
Thanos definitely won; using your own tech to secure a win is fair game...

I do, however, think it was rather PIS'ish that an insane, homicidal, Thor simply allowed Thanos to turn away from the battle and calmly walk off...

If I was Thor in that situation, Thanos would have been subjected to a full strength Mjolnir bash in the back of the head...bare minimum.

But anyway, Thanos won... What's one more hammer shot going to do ? Not much. Thor is also known for ranting and raving mid battle so it was completely in character. Thanos beat a character who walked through classic strange and company like they were street levelers.

Black bolt z
Yes that would have been considered a forum win.

leonidas
by forum standards the win is indisputable. of course, with forum rules would come a standard dome and no access to any tech that is not/was not considered part of his standard gear (which the whole forceblock thing was NOT at the time). so sure he 'won'. would he have won had it been a TRUE standard forum match? that is very FAR from clear.

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by quanchi112
What's one more hammer shot going to do ? Not much.

He already drew blood from him, so it would have done something, inaddition, he possibly could have damaged or destroyed the gun before Thanos could have used it against him if he had pressed the attack instead of just letting Thanos walk off; you can rant and ravage while beating on someone afterall...

So like I said, a homicidal Thor just letting Thanos casually walk away was PIS'ish...

quanchi112
He already drew blood from him, so it would have done something, inaddition, he possibly could have damaged or destroyed the gun before Thanos could have used it against him if he had pressed the attack instead of just letting Thanos walk off; you can rant and ravage while beating on someone afterall...

So like I said, a homicidal Thor just letting Thanos casually walk away was PIS'ish... Yes, after all those attacks he just had a nosebleed so I repeat not much if anything at all.

Thor gave speeches the entire time he was homicidal it's what he does. I could say oh it's pis Thanos wasted his time even fighting him despite knowing he had the power gem. Thanos won and there's nothing you can do or say to change that. smile

zopzop
Don't forget that Thanos was taken completely unawares and attacked by an elite high herald tapping into the most powerful of the Infinity Gems.

Once he had Thor at his mercy, he could have done whatever he wanted to do with him. But instead he shipped him off to Asgard where he could be cured of his madness by his father.

That was a win for Thanos no matter how you look at it.

TheLordofMurder
Yes, after all those attacks he just had a nosebleed so I repeat not much if anything at all.

Thor gave speeches the entire time he was homicidal it's what he does. I could say oh it's pis Thanos wasted his time even fighting him despite knowing he had the power gem. Thanos won and there's nothing you can do or say to change that. smile

No desire to change it, just wanted to point out the clear PIS factor in that encounter...

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by zopzop
Don't forget that Thanos was taken completely unawares and attacked by an elite high herald tapping into the most powerful of the Infinity Gems.

Once he had Thor at his mercy, he could have done whatever he wanted to do with him. But instead he shipped him off to Asgard where he could be cured of his madness by his father.

That was a win for Thanos no matter how you look at it.

Thanos was not attacked unaware; his robots kept Thor occupied while Thanos interogated Pip...

Thanos then made the opening attack against Thor (the two handed hand blast...remember?).

So no, Thanos wasnt taken completely unaware at all...

zopzop
Thanos was not attacked unaware; his robots kept Thor occupied while Thanos interogated Pip...

Thanos then made the opening attack against Thor (the two handed hand blast...remember?).

So no, Thanos wasnt taken completely unaware at all...

I meant they TPed into his base while he was minding his own business. It's not like he was expecting an insane elite high herald wielding the most powerful gem to bust into his home and start going apesh|t big grin

TheLordofMurder
Originally posted by zopzop
I meant they TPed into his base while he was minding his own business. It's not like he was expecting an insane elite high herald wielding the most powerful gem to bust into his home and start going apesh|t big grin

Now I agree with that...

thumb up

quanchi112
No desire to change it, just wanted to point out the clear PIS factor in that encounter... Thor acted completely within character.

TheLordofMurder
Thor acted completely within character.

Thor can attack while ranting; while homicidal, thats exactly what he should (and would) have done sans PIS...

quanchi112
Thor can attack while ranting; while homicidal, thats exactly what he should (and would) have done sans PIS... What he could have done and what he typically does are two completely different things.

Thanos could have grabbed the gun immediately he didn't.

TheLordofMurder
Thor ranted and attacked several times during Blood and Thunder afterall...

For him to fail to do so against Thanos was PIS...

quanchi112
Thor ranted and attacked several times during Blood and Thunder afterall...

For him to fail to do so against Thanos was PIS... Thanos spoke to him as well. You are using more of your infamous double standards and crying pis when something you don't like occurs.

TheLordofMurder
Thanos spoke to him as well. You are using more of your infamous double standards and crying pis when something you don't like occurs.

Bah...I am not a Thor fanboy by any stretch; my boys are Kubik, The Shaper, Nimrod, and Henshaw...you should know that.

I could care less if Thor loses...

In this case, I am merely stating the truth; a homicidal Thor allowing Thanos to casually walk away from him was PIS...

Its common sense really...

Mindset
No, he lost.

OneDumbG0
Thanos was slowly losing as Thor was continually amping himself subconsciously. Thanos stopped fighting and defeated Thor by placing him in stasis with his gun.

gogogadgetgo
Thor got encased in that block and couldn't fight anymore = win for Thanos

Now, take away the gun and have them fight without outside tech for Thanos and.... Thor would win eventually.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.