SITHMAS 2011 - LIGHT SIDE - The Gift of Otrakos

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

REXXXX
SITHMAS 2011

The Gift of Otrakos

These events take place sometime in the year before Episode IV. The Jedi have been forming an investigation into the Red Lance pirates, but the Jedi Council has pulled away some of the team for a special mission to Otrakos, a world with a long and tumultuous history.

----

The premise of this Sithmas gift is simple- there will be a competitive element in the game that allows for a single winner! All who participate in the competition will receive 2xp. The winner, however, will receive 5xp!

----

Otrakos

Otrakos is a world that has been out of the public eye for some time. It was discovered in the early days of hyperspace exploration, around the time the Galactic Republic was founded. It was colonized primarily by citizens of the Core worlds that did not buy into the idea of a unified galactic government, preferring complete autonomy. The Otrakos colony began to develop a small fortune using mining projects and was established as a democratic body, but had trouble standing on its own without any support from the Republic or nearby worlds. The planet transitioned to control by a military group, the Otrakos Defense Union, that sprung up when pirates began threatening the colony.

The Senate, in older days, made numerous attempts to absorb Otrakos into the Republic due to its mineral wealth. But as the ODU would not step down and as Otrakos is so far out of normal Republic boundaries, the Senate eventually gave up. The last time there were any motions on the Senate floor concerning Otrakos was thousands of years ago, when the Sith invaded it to use its resources.

Except invaded isn't really the right term. The ODU felt that a Sith occupation was within their best interests, since pirates either allied themselves with the Sith or sought easier prey than the Lords of the Dark Side.

Eventually the Sith were exterminated, and Otrakos returned to its normal existence. The Otrakos Defense Union in its current incarnation has been in place since the end of the New Sith Wars, spearheaded by a single official with no title who guides a military junta, which supervises and protects its people. The colony has never been terribly advanced or notable, though occasionally diplomats and explorers find themselves taken hostage by the government in foul attempts to garner attention from the Republic.

One of Otrakos' attempts at being important has come around again, but this time it is different. Calaveon, the untitled leader of the the ODU, has announced that an important archaeological find has been made on Otrakos- an artifact from the days of the Sith occupation. Apparently, he aims to hold a competition in his own honor to procure the artifact and gain renown.

The Jedi Council wants this artifact secured and brought to Coruscant under any circumstances. Unfortunately, Otrakos is not incredibly friendly to the Jedi, and so our heroes are sent undercover in a non-descript transport to seek entrance into the competition, to win the Gift of Otrakos.

The freighter is a non-descript craft flying from the Core, ostensibly to deliver supplies. In reality, the Jedi that have been selected for the mission to Otrakos are aboard.

Craft
Wentar volunteers to be the pilot of this freighter! Though he once again wishes he were flying the Free Flier.

What sort of competition is this anyway?

Tptmanno1
I'm hanging out in the freighter as well.
Are our Padawans with us?

Digi
So it's a friendly competition? No ignoring our alignments to fight one another, eh? evil face

We don't have an option that isn't the freighter, do we?

I begin befriending NPCs. If they seem amenable, I will attempt to talk them into helping me "find something." I am not above handing out reasonable payment/bribe to this end. I'm as discreet as possible, but realize it may attract some attention. I will take the risk.

REXXXX
Actually, any Jedi going on this mission are the only passengers on the ship.

Your Padawans have remained behind to carry on the investigation into the Red Lance's moves. Sunda did so begrudgingly but the Council asked that he stay on it.

As for the competition being friendly, well...

Wentar, flying the clunky craft, receives a transmission the minute he pulls the ship out of hyperspace in the orbit of Otrakos. Otrakos is a whitish-brown world with heavy cloud cover.

"Come one, come all!" announces the message. "The Competition begins today, by decree of our great brother Calaveon! Enter if you dare and seek fame and fortune on Otrakos by retrieving its Gift from the unyielding, treacherous lands of the Lotos Territory! It will be a free-for-all to the finish! Land at Calaveon's Bastion and join now!"

Jazzman_78
"And so it begins!" Andro declares upon hearing the message, and flashes a wolfish grin to his competi... colleauges.
After events on Mandragos, Andro is eager to prove his worth as a skilled Jedi. If not to others, at least to himself. A bit of harmless competition, with a very important goal, is right up his alley.

Digi
How many of us are in this thing? I see four so far, including myself.

----

Tilulla feels somewhat out of place. She hasn't yet proven herself among her Jedi colleagues, and has usually stayed in the background of others' endeavors. She's operated on her own before, but never at a level expected of the Jedi. She's eager, and allows herself to feel some anger at her inability to contribute so that she can channel it into productive energy and focus.

Tptmanno1
How undercover is undercover? Do we have sabers?

Jedireaper
Denzral relaxed looking out the viewport at the world below.

Craft
"I'd like to learn more about this competition before I get too excited about it," Wentar says thoughtfully. "Though from that broadcast is almost sounds like a race."

He tweaks the freighters sensors to compensate for the heavy cloud cover, no need to have issues when we're coming in to land.

Jedireaper
"Maybe see if there is any other chatter on the com that isn't encrypted." Denzral says.

REXXXX
Does Denzral want to make a quick scan of the comm channels?

Yes, you have your lightsabers. The Council does not want to send you into potential danger unarmed and unprepared, but they do think it wise to hide who you are unless it is necessary to reveal yourself.

Wentar prepares the freighter for entry into Otrakos' atmosphere, and begins dipping into the roiling clouds of the upper atmosphere. Everything checks out okay.

Jedireaper
Denzral goes ahead with the comm scan, getting maybe Soapy to help if he is present.

Digi
Oh, yeah, what about droids?

REXXXX
If you wish your droids to accompany you, that is fine.

Jedireaper
Very well...

Alkaselzer
Gallaher will come to keep Andro company.

"What do you think it is that they found?" Gallagher asks.

Tptmanno1
Roan will pop into that conversation as well.
"Seems to be some Sith artifact. Wouldn't get my hopes up, these things tend to be either total myths, or broken beyond recognition."

Jazzman_78
"I couldn't begin to guess at a name. But it must be something very powerful if the Temple sends us all the way out here to retrieve it."

REXXXX
Denzral scans the comm waves and finds that the competition announcement is being broadcast over all channels, official and unofficial.

Wentar is surprised that he enters the atmosphere unhindered, without so much as a contact or confirmation from the star port.

Jedireaper
"Little much, almost like jamming, if there is anything else on the com, this would cover it up."

Mithlond
Iffa sits quietly in a corner of the freighter, stroking his beard and adjusting his turban. He ponders that the competition may suit him well....

Alkaselzer
Gallagher is unsure if he was even a good choice for the competition, being mostly incapable of most things as he is. He is certain the Force will prevail him somehow.

"They're really putting focus on advertising this thing," Gallagher says. "Perhaps they're hoping to increase their viability as a tourist attraction..."

Digi
Goddamn, all this attention. Is Ackbar waiting on the comms for us? I feel like we're going to need his sage advice soon.

I'll meditate I guess. I'm trying to learn patience in these things, and so far faring poorly.

REXXXX
Fortunately, patience is not needed. Wentar follows the landing beacon and comes upon the starport. It is just an open field with odd low hangar structures and a single flight tower. It is absolutely packed with starships!

You notice numerous turbo laser batteries on the outskirts of the starport's field. They are all off-line.

Wentar- do you want to land anywhere specific? Otherwise you will set down further out.

Craft
Well if our cover is carrying supplies we should probably land in the starport, probably near the loading/unloading bays.

Though I have to ask, do we have any cargo on board that works as 'supplies' or are we having to BS it?

REXXXX
You will have to talk your way out of it if anyone asks, but it doesn't look like anyone is. There are no officials in the starport and nobody meets you when you land.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher finds it strange that there is nobody there to welcome them to the planet or check who they are.

"I guess we won't have to talk our way into the city," Gallagher says. "As far as I can tell."

Alkaselzer
Anyway, Gallagher will start moving into the city. If there is anyone around or going the same way, he will try to talk to them.

REXXXX
The Otrakos are a proud people but not terribly advanced. As you leave the landing field, you pass through the starport. It is an enormous structure largely composed of an incredibly sturdy wood natural to Otrakos, reinforced with hypersteel beams. Much of the buildings beyond the starport are the same- dramatically large and made of wood.

In the starport, people are filing past tables that block the way into the capital. You will all have to pass these tables if you want to enter the city.

Will you move in together or separately?

Jazzman_78
(Seperately, or at least in small groups. i mean, we're undercover, right? Unless we want to come up with some story about us being a 'team' of people who got together to do this contest.)

Craft
Maybe we go in groups of 2 or 3. How many of us are here exactly?

REXXXX
Gallagher, Denzral, Wentar, Roan, Andro, and Tilulla- unless anyone else voices interest, there are six of you.

Jedireaper
Best to go as a group in my opinion (having worked at an airport), we are all from a religious order that are interested in the artefact. How can they fault that story if we are all wearing robes and the like. Never mind that it is the truth.

REXXXX
That would be Lying, since you are concealing that you are Jedi.

Jedireaper
But we could tell them we are members of the Cult of Necros, we would only need someone with persuade.

Craft
Three groups of two then I think.

Wentar/Tillula, Gallagher/Andro and Roan/Denzral sound good?

Edit: Wentar has lying if we want to go with Denzral's idea.

Jedireaper
Originally posted by Craft
Three groups of two then I think.

Wentar/Tillula, Gallagher/Andro and Roan/Denzral sound good?

Edit: Wentar has lying if we want to go with Denzral's idea. I like that, how is his persuade skill?

REXXXX
You are not members of the Cult, so it would still be Lying.

Craft
If it's a social tool I've got it... Except for gambling and seduction, but it's on the list!

Persuade 3, Charisma 5.

Mithlond
Iffa was there too! He will attempt to sneak past the tables individually.

REXXXX
It will be Lying to convince them to let you through as a group, and you would all have to stay in one group as Wentar is the only one who can Lie.

Sorry Iffa! You are indeed here. It will be Strength + Intrusion to sneak your way past the tables, since it is becoming crowded in here.

Jedireaper
Denzral himself could also sneak past, in the skills department.

Digi
I have 2 Intrusion too, but competition or not, we should try to get everyone in. Individual sneaking does not accomplish that. For the good of the Order and whatnot. I vote for the lying.

As soon as I get some XP I'll be able to seduce, but alas.

Jedireaper
So now the debate is several small groups with various alibis, on one large group. I and for the one large group.

REXXXX
I'll need a decision or events will overtake you.

Iffa will be going in alone, trying to make his way past.

As a reminder- this is just to leave the starports. You don't know yet what the tables are for.

Digi
There's been a lot for one group I think (minus Iffa stick out tongue ). Any objections?

Jedireaper
I am guessing either import, or registration. Denzral will ask the nearest being.

Jazzman_78
(Sure, go ahead.)

REXXXX
Okay! So everyone approaches the table in one mass, with Wentar leading so he talk everyone through.

"Hello!" greets one of the tablers. "Welcome to Otrakos! Are you here for the Competition?"

-

Iffa tries to elbow his way quietly past the tables. Two successes is all he needs to slip past without being noticed among the mass of people surging around the tables.

Iffa is clear!

Mithlond
Iffa exits the starport, looking for information about the competition - flyers, adverts, etc

Digi
/target iffa
shakefist

REXXXX
You manage to find a large poster tacked up. It explains that competitors must go to the Headquarters in order to enter and receive further instruction.

Craft
"We heard rumors about it," Wentar says gruffly, putting on a more mercenary-esc demeanor. "Thought we'd check it out... What exactly does this competition involve doing anyway?"

Mithlond
Iffa then heads for the headquarters!

REXXXX
Iffa is on his way!

-

"The competition will be a challenge of body and mind, hosted by Calaveon, our great brother," says the tabler. "Entry is free!"

Jedireaper
"Good, because I forgot my wallet." Denzrals says quietly.

Tptmanno1
We are possibly overthinking things. We just don't have to offer up any information if we don't have to.

Can we just say "Thanks!" and continue on?

Jedireaper
These could very well just be serving as information desks, seeing as there appears to be a lack of cohesive security.

REXXXX
Roan and Denzral speak true. The tablers are just advertising for the competition and hand you pamphlets with directions to headquarters and instructions for enrollment.

Starport security is very light. You see a handful of policemen here and there, armed with assault rifles and wearing light blast armor with faintly Greek influences in their design, including slim Corinthian-esque helmets with comlink feeds and security scanners. Hi-tech stuff!

-

Iffa- the streets away from the starport are incredibly crowded. The competition must be drawing thousands of people to Otrakos. Everything is currently orderly and supervised by a sparse few policemen on speeder vans. Typically of a military dictatorship, the police are heavily armed and wearing blast armor of faintly Greek influence, including those Corinthian helmets mentioned above.

It will take some time to get to headquarters.

Digi
What's the point of registering/enrolling? If we find it, we find it, yeah? Ti's instincts are just to steal a speeder or something at this point. The sheer volume of people doesn't encourage her that a normal route will yield positive results.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher makes note of the outfit of the police so he can recognize them. He thanks the tabler for the pamphlet and makes his way past with the rest of his group.

"We probably need to register in order to compete," Gallagher says. "I feel they won't be terribly strict with the information they require for registration."

Gallagher disapproves of the idea to steal a speeder.

REXXXX
It would be Intrusion and Fix-It to do that without drawing a lot of attention, Ti. You are still in the starport currently.

Digi
Well, I said her instincts led her that way, not her more rational faculties. Still, I don't want to register. If we're actually against all these people, the numbers don't favor us, Jedi or not. Waiting through some political paper-pushing will just slow us down.

Can I rent a speeder?

Tptmanno1
Roan prefers to follow the rules at this point.
Several things to consider about this that just popped into my head.

1) There is nothing against Jedi registering. "All are welcome" certainly includes Jedi. The only reason we would keep our heads down is to avoid unneeded attention. It would make things difficult for is. Its not a shoot on sight situation
2) We have the force. Jedi are damn good.
3) Stealing stuff is a bit of a darkie move. I'm all for walking.

Jedireaper
Denz would happily register as Jedi, but that has the potential to make things more difficult for us from the start. Is there a taxi service?

REXXXX
You don't see any speeder rentals available at the starport, Ti. In fact, you don't see any speeders aside from the police vans outside.

Jedireaper
Denz will go over and ask one 0f the police where they can rent a speeder or possibly get a taxi.

REXXXX
"Speeder access is restricted to government personnel, law enforcement, and military," the policeman explains. "I'm afraid you'll have to walk like everybody else."

Jedireaper
"Thanks." Denzral will return to the group.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will simply progress outside. He reaches out with his senses to feel the crowd and read their emotions. He wonders how many of them are here to compete and how many are here to watch, since it seems that it will have an audience.

Would Gallagher be able to influence the crowd to allow him and the others to move through easier?

Craft
I get the feeling we need to register, just because the prize could be anywhere on this damn planet. Registering will at least point us in the right direction.

Also we don't need to tell them we're Jedi, hell they may not even as for our professions.

Jedireaper
One of the guys with the Jedi Mind Trick ability, could try and get the officer to take us there in his speeder van.

REXXXX
Registering allows you to compete!

Digi
I did clarify guys, I was looking to rent a speeder, not steal one. Ti's impatient, but she's not evil. I'll continue with registration. Who wants to be my husband on a sightseeing tour?

REXXXX
To Gallagher- that might be possible to do. You certainly have the Force rating for it. What you lack is the skill set.

Jazzman_78
Andro let's the other Jedi do the talking and planning and whatnot, and simply follows in their wake. He spends his spare mental currancy checking out the competition, scanning the crowd.

He looks for signs of nevousness or deceit at the tables, a sign of criminal types; they might resort to the dirtier tricks such as blasters and vibro-knives. Easy to handle once you know who you're dealing with. He looks for the loud boaster, the overly and overtly confident; they're mostly here for the 'adventure' of it all or 'fortune and glory'. Not many really serious competitors in that bunch.

No, Andro looks for the quiet ones, the ordinary, every-day looking folks. Not too excited, not to nervous, not carrying bags of absurd 'gear' to help them. The ones who just blend in and go unnoticed. Those are the real pros, the folks most likely to have an idea what a prize from this particular planet might be worth to them; or to someone else. These are the dangrous ones, the folks to kep an eye on throughoutthe competition...

Mithlond
Iffa continues his way to the headquarters...

Craft
Can Wentar attempt Gallaghers idea?

Either with words or a Empathy+Leadership idea to take control of the crowd.

REXXXX
All of those types are present, Andro, though it is hard to tell who is going to compete or not. Not so close to the starport.

The power of Leadership can be very effective here, Wentar! As can the skill. It will be a Charisma+Leadership check to get the crowd to let you pass, and you can get extra successes for having the appropriate powers.

I've already made Wentar's roll here. Does anyone else want to give it a try?

-

In the mean time, is Iffa content to keep at the crowd's pace?

Tptmanno1
I'll give it a go as well.

Digi
I will roll as well. Charisma 5, Leadership 1

Jedireaper
Denzral will just go with the flow.

REXXXX
Wentar on his own gathers seven successes on this, so I won't even roll the others. Consider it an overwhelming success as Wentar utilizes his commanding presence to push through the crowd. Most simply let you pass by.

One of the few opportunities for teamwork here...

In any case, you all catch up to Iffa!

Mithlond
"What kept you?"'asks Iffa!

Jedireaper
"Wentar left his dinner in the oven, we had to go back and get it."

Craft
"Make way!" Wentar calls confidently, leading the way through the crowd.

Wentar raises an eyebrow at Denzral. "It's trickier to move through a crowd as a group sometimes," he says to Iffa.

So have we reached headquarters or just Iffa?

REXXXX
Just Iffa, but the results of your crowd management mean it is moving fairly quickly along. It must be said, you might have done a little too well- you sense some of the patrols watching you briefly.

The headquarters is not far and you reach it shortly. It is a long, rectangular structure that is incredibly open in its design, to imply governmental transparency. It is mainly composed of intricately designed columns made of some brilliant gleaming metal. About halfway through it is interrupted by a steep hill. The headquarters just ascends with it, curving elegantly with the hill. The far end is topped with a dome.

The masses are feeding toward its entrance. No gates separate it from the surrounding buildings and no walls keep the crowd out so the police are having to manage the crowd into a line through the front.front

Mithlond
Iffa will attempt to sneak around the side and jump the queue a bit.. Preferably to the front!

REXXXX
An Intrusion check to avoid gaining the ire of the crowd or their controllers, then. Anyone else?

Jazzman_78
I think we've attracted enough attention for now, myself. If the others want to they can go ahead, but Andro will keep his pace.

Digi
Iffa's having all the fun. Ti will do likewise. Intrusion 2.

Craft
Were the patrols watching the group or just me in particular?

REXXXX
The group, but not closely.

Last call for anyone trying an alternative approach to entering the qeue for registration.

Jedireaper
Denzral will use intrusion to jump ahead a bit, and join the que away from the group.

Craft
I'm thinking about bluffing.

Claiming that my group is already up ahead and are waiting for me/us to get there. Try and cut to the front of the queue that way.

Maybe I can get Roan, Andro and Gallagher through as well with that routine.

REXXXX
Okay! Intrusion "group" is making their way up and trying to cut in line.

Iffa only rolls one success, despite having the best pool for this! He gets a little ahead before having to hop back in line just before the entrance.

Denzral gets two and at least makes it inside, within the first stretch of the grand hallway.

Ti does the best, oddly enough, with three. She is furthest ahead now.

-

Wentar- who are you going to try bluffing to?

Digi
Originally posted by REXXXX
Ti does the best, oddly enough, with three. She is furthest ahead now.

Hahahaha, awesome.

Ok, what now?

no expression

I register, I guess, yeah? I also inquire about speeder rental.

Jedireaper
Maybe the intrusion team should enter as a separate group?

Craft
Ummm, one of the police actually, I reckon they're too overwhelmed to be able to do a double check.

Jedireaper
Denzral tries to see the structure of the hall.

Tptmanno1
I, lacking intrusion, am just going to keep going and attempt to register.

REXXXX
Okay then, Wentar. What are you going to say exactly?

-

Being far ahead, it is Ti that can fill you in on the requirements for the Competition! And a good thing too.

Most of the requirements are more advisories concerning the physical condition and capabilities of the competitors. Anyone with insufficient physical stature is not able to participate (read as: any physical stats at 2 or lower).

Since most of you are quite the physical specimen, that is a non-issue.

Being armed for the competition is entirely optional, but recommended. The ODU is supplying a small amount of armaments to those competitors that require it.

The big kicker is this... you cannot register as a team. Any competitors that try to sign up as a team will be denied, and any competitors that assist OTHER competitors will be disqualified.

Anyone who kills another competitor will also be disqualified. Any other violence is suitable to ensure victory only goes to one person.

Craft
Well crap. I need to rethink my entry strategy now.

... This is going to be interesting, we're going to have to be real careful about teamwork here.

Digi
What are some non-lethal weapons? Can I purchase net guns, stun guns, or, I dunno, bolos? I'm keeping my saber of course, but using it might be tricky. And I take it my inquiry into speeder rental was unsuccessful.

How are they enforcing this...surely they can't have cameras everywhere.

So what does being ahead get me post-registration? I have a feeling we're all going to end up clumped together anyway.

Craft
We'll probably have personal probe/camera droids following us for the entertainment of the viewers.

REXXXX
Not that you have seen them yet, but Wentar is spot on. The event will be broadcast from camera droids, like the ones that flit around the Senate scenes in the prequels.

Ti- Denzral confirmed that the police are the only ones with access to speeders. As for non-lethal weapons, there are a few you can use if you are interested! The ODU mainly has non-lethal equipment to quell riots, if you want to check their armory once you register.

Being ahead doesn't get you anything currently. Once the competition starts, though, it will be all about being in first place!

-

So, everyone is pushing in... Ti is up for registration. Surprisingly, all they want is your name and a sparse few details, mainly concerned with your physical stature. They also ask you to log all weapons you are carrying, as well as offering the armory to you.

Mithlond
Do we need to provide ID? Iffa would prefer to give a false name and not log his sabre.

Jazzman_78
Andro will go the bluntly straightforward route, while ignoring the other Jedi. Strangely enough for him, he's giong quite strictyl by the rules, let he risk disqualification. He will give truthful info and log his saber.

Digi
Missed the part about Denz and the speeders, apologies.

------

"Tilulla Rynn, Interplanetary Bounty Hunter and Jedi Knight," I say proudly. I don't mind flaunting my status as a Jedi. Hiding or being truthful have equal likelihoods of blowing up in my face, I rationalize. I stand erect and toss my hair back as I say it.

I suppose I'll need to log my lightsaber, but will avoid it if possible.

I will happily peruse the armory. What have we got?

Craft
What are the policemen wearing?

Alkaselzer
I think he described them on the last page or so.

Anyway, if the others are being open about who they are, Gallagher might as well join that party. He puts his lightsaber down on the table and explains that he is Gallagher Klinge-Faust, Jedi Knight.

Craft
Ah right! Well there goes plan 2 (I'm totally a police officer, let me to the front.)

Erm... out of ideas for a plan three, will keep thinking unless Rex wants to move on.

-

When Wentar reaches the front he wont register his lightsaber. For details he's going to try pass off as a Warrior Monk.... Oh! Oh! Of the Summanese if that's possible. =D

REXXXX
Wentar certainly has the skill set to pass himself off as such. Consider yourself logged as a Summanese monk!

No ID necessary, Iffa. What are you saying that you do?

Those of you who submit yourselves as Knights get quite a commotion going. In Ti's case, they are putting in that she is a bounty hunter when comically they stop and begin barking for assistance into their comlinks. Policemen in blast armor hurry over and demand that you come with them.

Gallagher and Andro experience the same treatment.

Craft
That's a lot of worrying. Hopefully the attention as a group we made wont come back to bite us who aren't doing the 'I'm a Jedi route'.

Digi
Originally posted by REXXXX
Those of you who submit yourselves as Knights get quite a commotion going. In Ti's case, they are putting in that she is a bounty hunter when comically they stop and begin barking for assistance into their comlinks. Policemen in blast armor hurry over and demand that you come with them.

no expression

Weak. I ask them why I'm being singled out.

Craft
I'm going to guess the Jedi Knight part. stick out tongue

I don't think these guys take too kindly to Jedi, what with their past 'history' with the Sith.

Jazzman_78
Andro mkes no immediate movement to comply with the 'request'.

"Are you arresting us? If so, on what grounds? We've broken no laws."

Mithlond
Iffa states that he is N'Aworru Balten, professional athletic competitor.

REXXXX
To all openly Jedi folks, the police inform you that you are to be taken directly to their Great and Loyal Brother. No charges are being pressed yet.

Iffa has the build for that. He can pass just fine!

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will go quietly. Do they take his lightsaber?

REXXXX
They do not! You are allowed to keep it.

Digi
Hm, I'm down with this, I go quietly and wave to some nearby gawkers.

Jedireaper
Denzral cannot directly and believably lie...

Mithlond
Great! When do I get the prize? Hehehe

Jazzman_78
"Fine, lead the way sir, and I'll follow."

Well, looks like some of us go to the head of the class!

... or just royall screwed ourselves. Can't wait to find out which!

REXXXX
Then Denzral is lumped in with the Jedi crew.

Iffa and Wentar make their way through the line fairly quickly. It turns out that a lot of these people are not competing. Most are making their way to the gallery just before the stairs that ascend to the rear portion of the Otrakos Defense Union's headquarters. Only competitors are allowed to ascend, so Iffa and Wentar are not far behind as the police escort the others up the steps.

The police bring the Jedi up the stairs to a room that appears to be a meeting chamber, which is still open and naturally lit by the sun beaming through the columns that comprise the building. In the direct center is something like a throne. Before the throne are rows of chairs. Competitors are being ushered into this area. On either side of the throne are boxed seats, in which advisers and members of the ODU's leadership are positioned.

Upon it sits a dark-haired man in white robes, adorned with exotic vines and gold trinkets. He sits up when the Jedi enter.

"What is this?" asks Cavaleon, the Great Brother Leader. His voice would be strong if it were not so nasal.

"Jedi, our Brother!" a policeman explains. "They tried to enter the Competition!"

Cavaleon studies you from his throne, then rises to his feet.

"What brings you here, Jedi?" Cavaleon asks. "Introduce yourselves and explain your presence."

Craft
Well while the 'Jedi' have a chat with the Great Brother Leader, Wentar will check out to competition.

Who are the other Competitors so far?

REXXXX
Wentar scopes out who he's up against! There are actually far fewer than you expected entering the competition. Not including yourselves, there are six people present:

- An Erengardian soldier-of-fortune

- A Vudanese spearman

- Red Rossis

- A hulking cyborg

- A Gungan warrior

- An Outer Rim smuggler

Digi
"We come with no ill intent. Much like the other competitors here, we're simply interested in the artifact. If it possesses any kind of power or corrupting influence, it could be dangerous in the wrong hands. So we're acting not for ourselves so much as for others at the Jedi Council's request." I stop for a moment to let him digest the words.

"And I realize this will be somewhat of a spectacle, but we would be grateful for any assistance you could provide us. We don't expect any help, of course, and I wouldn't ask at all if I were in this for personal gain. But at the very least we hope that you'll allow us the same chance that everyone has," I say, motioning to the crowds.

Craft
So do me and Iffa know the other have been taken away for being Jedi/do we know they've announced they're Jedi?

What do I know about this 'Red Rossis?'

Mithlond

REXXXX
You certainly know at this point! You are in attendance by the time Calaveon (not Cavaleon, sorry!) addresses the Jedi and Tilulla responds with her straight-forward, honest answer.

Calaveon responds to Tilulla by laughing heartily. When he realizes that he is the only person laughing at your response, he waves a hand at his advisers in the box seats. They start laughing with him.

"Oh, a spectacle indeed!" Calaveon eventually says. "I should have known the Jedi would send some of their vaunted Knights to interfere with my Competition!"

Red Rossis is a notorious bounty hunter with a reputation for horrific violence. He wears an blood red armor suit that is wholly sealed and hiding a few contraptions. He keeps a cylindrical case strapped to his back.

Digi
"What threat do we pose that others don't already?" I answer. "With this many people, it may even be advantageous to have some peacekeepers around."

He's pretty clearly not on our side, but Tilulla doesn't really take to political ego-swallowing well.

"Kick me off your planet if you're going to sit here and scoff. I have the same rights everyone else does, and if I'm not searching for the artifact, my time is better spent elsewhere."

Jazzman_78
"Andro Fenris, Jedi Knight," Andro introduces himself, taking a step forward. "We are Jedi, but we are not here to interfere, we're here to participate. Is your competition not open to all able-bodied individuals?"

REXXXX
"The Republic may see you as peacekeepers, Jedi, but you're outside of your jurisdiction," Calaveon says. "If ANYONE enforces the law around here, it is me. It is my duty as the Great Brother of All Otrakians to uphold justice and peace. Is it not?"

The advisers in the box seat all confirm him with chants of, "It is, it is."

When Andro speaks, Calaveon studies him.

"It is indeed," Calaveon says. "I did not stipulate any discrimination against anyone. Only against those who would clearly not survive. But the Jedi have an unfair advantage over others, do they not?"

Digi
"Everyone here has skills and weapons. We're no different. Unfair? That's for you to decide - as you said, you make the rules here. But if our presence is unfair, where do you draw the line? Ruthless bounty hunters, mercenaries and thieves, I'd say unfair advantages are needed just to compete."

"Or were you referring to this?" I ask, pulling my lightsaber out. I don't ignite it.

____

To everyone else here: this is actually Ti's way of drawing attention away from you guys, even if it's an ill-conceived plan. She also doesn't mind angering the guy in charge - it's in her nature to defy authority - so that's a pleasant bonus.

Jazzman_78
"We understand your concern, of course, but My colleague makes a point. Jedi have unique abilities and weapons, but so do many other beings. We are not invincible or all-powerful."

Craft
A Bounty Hunter, eh? Guess I shouldn't be surprised.

The Smuggler is going to be tricky, he'll have enough Fortune to luck his way through anything I'm certain.

Hmmm. I might bust out an Empathy on this group to get a judge on how they feel about each other. Fear, confidence, contempt.

Digi
Any chance our bounty hunter has heard of me? Or met me? I had his same profession formerly, after all. Obviously I'm not trying to parlay this into an advantage, just maybe creating some notoriety-induced rivalry with him.

But of course, I have other problems atm.

REXXXX
You've not met Rossis, Ti. He is likely someone you would steer clear of. He only takes kill contracts. You're surprised to see him here, and a little concerned.

-

"Hmm," Calaveon says, considering Andro's point. "I refer to your talents for speaking with that mystical entity of yours. A lightsaber is just another tool. A particulary distinguished tool, but just a tool."

Jazzman_78
"The Force, yes. I was referring to that as well. Although it is a gift the galaxy is apparently selective in granting, it's many uses are still learned skill."

REXXXX
"I suppose that is true..." Calaveon muses.

Digi
Andro seems to be having far better luck. Ti's going to shut up.

REXXXX
Calaveon is acknowledging you, Ti, just not responding well to your rebellious attitude. He is a dictator in the vein of Gaddafi. Maybe a little less extreme, certainly delusional.

Tptmanno1
I guess Roan will have declared himself to be a Jedi, and if possible, he will be in the throne room as well.

Roan will (if allowed) speak up,

"Again, I remind you that you did not make any provisions that would prevent us from entering this competition. Also imagine the prestige that comes along with offering a competition so desirable and so challenging that several Jedi wish to enter! What a spectacle it will be for your visitors and viewers to see Jedi competing against the other entrants. You surely don't want to deny yourself the glory that comes with putting on a competition the likes of which have never been seen before. Surely you heard of the pod-race where a mere force-sensitive child, not even a jedi yet, competed and won. That was an event heard in all corners of the galaxy, especially with those who appreciate such an event. And here you have full Jedi competing, this competition will make you legendary!"

Jedireaper
Denzral will smirk at Roan. "Nice."

Tptmanno1
Hey, delusional dictators love their flattery. We can come back and overthrow his oppressive regime after we get the useless sith artifact/McGuffin.

REXXXX
Roan is allowed, and Roan strikes a chord with Calaveon.

"Hmm!" Calaveon says, stroking his beard thoughtfully. "I HAVE heard of that event. Quite impressive for someone who has not even left childhood behind! And here I have several older Jedi who must be all that much more impressive, yes?"

Calaveon steps down from the dais his throne is on and approaches your grouping.

"But I am concerned that you will try to cheat me, Jedi. I am certainly aware that the object of this competition likely holds some importance to your Order. Have you been ordered to seize it from me and my world?"

Jedireaper
"If we had been ordered to seize it in the manner you imply. Then, perhaps we would not be having this discussion in the first place, and would not have openly stated ourselves as Jedi." Denzral spoke up.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>