Darth Plagueis vs Darth Malgus

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
Hailing from the new novelisation we have the illustrious Darth Plagueis up against Dath Whatshisface. Who will win this battle of the Titan (and Malgus)?!

Dr McBeefington
We aren't familiar with Plagueis' saber abilities. As far as I understand, Plagueis is also a master of esoteric force techniques.

Nephthys
Didn't he defeat his masters secret apprentice in cqc?

Mizukage Yoda
What are Plagueis' feats?

Nephthys
A Force Wave that kills 12 Jedi-level opponents, atomising half of them, sounds out of Malgus' league imo.

Dr McBeefington
Jedi level isn't the same thing as fighting jedi. Not only that, it's a pretty relative comparison. "Wounded and killed Jedi"? Which Jedi? The younglings? None of this is impressive enough to put him on par with Malgus' martial skills.

Nephthys
I assume the quote means jedi knight, as younglings and padawans aren't actual jedi yet (as pointed out in Ep. 2).

Plus, there 48 of the ****ing things. erm Its an impressive feat by sheer numbers.

Dr McBeefington
But he takes out 6 at a time. On the other hand, Malgus is cutting down actual Jedi in the Temple.

Nephthys
Oh my, only 6 at a time! Malgus took on 1 or 2 at a time, so forgive me if I don't slobber on his cyborg cock.

Dr McBeefington
Malgus took actual jedi on while Plagueis force blasted assassins who could or could not take jedi on at a time, based on your obscure description.

Nephthys
Hardly obscure. And I'd prefer to read the actual passage before jumping to claims, but taking on 50 jedi-level combatants and surviving is an unprecidented feat. And atomising 6 beings with a Force Wave is telekinesis beyond Malgus. Its enough to put Plagueis on Bane's level of offensive Force prowess, which is a level well beyond Malgus. IMO, Plageuis is a combatant who should be able to manhandle Baldy McNogirlfriend.

Dr McBeefington
Contradictions ftw!

Nephthys
Typical DS, misrepresenting shit to your own ends.

Originally posted by Nephthys
IMO, Plageuis is a combatant who should be able to manhandle Baldy McNogirlfriend.

I'm not claiming he would win, simply stating my opinion.

Dr McBeefington
Nice semantics. Your opinion is still a claim. I don't need to misrepresent anything.

Nephthys
Nah, a claim needs to actually be backed up with something. I'm allowed to just state my opinion.

Dr McBeefington
A claim not backed up by anything is an unsupported claim, yet still a claim.

Nephthys
Now who is using semantics? Besides, I never said I wouldn't make a claim, simply that I would prefer not to.

Now, are you going to say something actually on-topic or continue to bicker?

Dr McBeefington
Pointing out your contradiction and watching you backpeddle WAS on topic.

Nephthys
Oh noes TEH BURNZ!

And no. This is my thread so I decide the topic. excellent

PlagueiSpoilers
The relevant pages are missing again, but I'll provide the text again when they appear.

Nephthys
Still nothing?

Nephthys
So Plagueis is strong enough to punch through "armored torsos". Considering Malgus heavily relies on pure brute force in his tactics, I doubt he'll be able to defeat Plagueis in lightsabers considering the latter is far stronger than him.

Dr McBeefington
That's one hell of an unsupported assumption.

Nephthys
Considering that I supported my assumption, how so?

Brako Cott
A Force Wave that kills 12 Jedi-level opponents, atomising half of them, sounds out of Malgus' league imo.

Is the text clear on whether those assassins were individually able to wound and kill Jedi, or in fact did so in large numbers, as it would appear that they operate in? I'm not sure you can say that in whatever capacity they posed a threat to Jedi would have presented them with any kind of defence against telekinesis, either. Without context the feat isn't particularly impressive, in my opinion.

Dr McBeefington
yup

Nephthys
Originally posted by Brako Cott
Is the text clear on whether those assassins were individually able to wound and kill Jedi, or in fact did so in large numbers, as it would appear that they operate in? I'm not sure you can say that in whatever capacity they posed a threat to Jedi would have presented them with any kind of defence against telekinesis, either. Without context the feat isn't particularly impressive, in my opinion.

Judge for yourself. Hopefully my source will not mind me re-posting these.

The sentence in question specifically mentions them using tactics to deal with Force Powers though, so in my opinion it stands.

RE: Blaxican
lol @ the butthurt attempts to lowball Plaguis going on in here.

Brako Cott
Judge for yourself. Hopefully my source will not mind me re-posting these.

It's not entirely clear, and as ington was saying we don't know who the Jedi they killed were, nor do we know the circumstances they were killed in. I'm sure they were impressive but I don't know if we can universally label these assassins Jedi level, particularly with respect to the feat you posted.

In an evasive manner, not head on. In that regard the feat would be of note for actually hitting all six, not the damage it caused them.

Nephthys
It's not entirely clear, and as ington was saying we don't know who the Jedi they killed were, nor do we know the circumstances they were killed in. I'm sure they were impressive but I don't know if we can universally label these assassins Jedi level, particularly with respect to the feat you posted.

Well I do.

In an evasive manner, not head on. In that regard the feat would be of note for actually hitting all six, not the damage it caused them.

So 'all but atomising them' isn't impressive to you? Why not? When has Malgus shown he can deal with that kind of offensive power?

It was never a question of durability or something. Though in that regard they are wearing armor.

Brako Cott
Well I do.

welluarewong

I was saying that with respect to their preventative measures against force attacks, the feat is only of note for hitting them.

That being said, "all but atomized" is by any reasonable interpretation clearly an exaggeration, given that the exact, precise distinction between being literally atomized and being broken apart to a single greater unit of scale is such a tedious, inconsequential, meaningless distinction that the "all but" loses almost all of its meaning, unless it refers to being severely broken apart, but by many orders of magnitude greater than being literally atomised. At best you can argue that their bodies were severely broken apart but you can in no way establish that the scale was anything like what you imply, both with your earlier omission and now with how impressed you are, and any reasonable interpretation disagrees.

Well it was implied with your label of them as jedi-level as you described the destruction the force wave caused.

Nephthys
welluarewong

nour

I was saying that with respect to their preventative measures against force attacks, the feat is only of note for hitting them.

That being said, "all but atomized" is by any reasonable interpretation clearly an exaggeration, given that the exact, precise distinction between being literally atomized and being broken apart to a single greater unit of scale is such a tedious, inconsequential, meaningless distinction that the "all but" loses almost all of its meaning, unless it refers to being severely broken apart, but by many orders of magnitude greater than being literally atomised. At best you can argue that their bodies were severely broken apart but you can in no way establish that the scale was anything like what you imply, both with your earlier omission and now with how impressed you are, and any reasonable interpretation disagrees.

Not an unimpressive feat given that these people can wound and kill Jedi.

So you want to throw it out because you don't like the phrase 'all but'? Yeah sorry but I'm not buying that. The phrase 'all but' simply means 'very nearly' or 'everything up to that level'. While the blast didn't go so far as to reduce them to mere atoms it obviously completely annihilated them, reducing them to a fine spray or somesuch. I'm afraid that it is very much adequate to establish the scale I was implying. To put it simply almost atomising beings with a Force Wave is still a feat of strength way beyond that of almost any other Force user, comperable to or even exceeding that of Banes telekinetic ability.

Well it was implied with your label of them as jedi-level as you described the destruction the force wave caused.

Jedi do not have that impressive durability, so it would be pretty nonsensical to expect being able to vaporise someone of similar capapbilities to be impressive as well.

Brako Cott
First, kindly leave Darth Bane out of this, please. If you want to discuss Alistair Overeem we will discuss Alistair Overeem but I will not be conversing with you with regards to Darth Bane.

Not only are there cases of Jedi directly enhancing their durability but there are also direct defencive measures they cna take against such attacks, such as the very common force shield, or use of their own telekinesis.

The literal interpretation of 'all but' is, as I've already explained, a very bad one, and the better interpretation of something resembling that scale is subject to relative interpretation - "nearly" is a relative term, and you aren't in a position to decide for everyone the exact scale, whether it entails reducing them to a fine spray or something even more precise.

You haven't established the exact manner with which they could wound or kill jedi, nor have you established how those same skills apply in this scenario. If they have no means of directly protecting themselves against such an attack, and lack things such as Force enhanced speed that jedi possess (Force Waves are typically very large as well as quick; with just ~human level physical capabilities and no direct defence against the attack their chances of defending against such an attack are very slim, regardless of whatever skills may have enabled them to be such a threat to unnamed Jedi), labelling them Jedi-level with respect to their vulnerability against such an attack is kind of misleading, regardless of their good evasive tactics and relentless offence.

Nephthys
No, Banes ability to telekinetically disintergrate people is a great precident and measuring stick. Also I have no idea who Alistair Overeem is. awesus

The only time I can think of is in TFU when Galen is smacking Kota around in ways humans probably shouldn't be able to just get up from. And yes, I know that they can block stuff with the Force. Why would you even think I was comparing a non-force user against a jedi in that way?

And I reject your explanation, which amounted to 'its exaggeration and dumb'. How am I unable to decide on scale but you are allowed to decide that the distinction between being atomised and not is 'inconsequential' and therefore the quote instantly loses all meaning? Please. Blax is right, the attempts to lowball Plagueis here are very amusing.

Brako Cott
RE: is and always has been a complete Plagueis fanboy, so naturally he would.

Nephthys

Damn thats true. He's been sucking Mr. P off for years. mmm

SIDIOUS 66
"All but atomized", wouldn't that basically mean: if reduced any further they would have been atoms? If so, then they would have been reduced to tinier particles than ash, and that would still be a telekinetic feat far beyond anything shown from Malgus.

Nephthys
Yes, thats my thought-process too.

Brako Cott
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
"All but atomized", wouldn't that basically mean: if reduced any further they would have been atoms? If so, then they would have been reduced to tinier particles than ash, and that would still be a telekinetic feat far beyond anything shown from Malgus.

The point is that if the intended message is an entirely literal one: that their bodies were seperated into pieces a single order of magnitude greater than atoms, the distinction between "atomized" and "all but atomized" is so tediously precise, practically meaningless and random that it's an incredibly unrealistic interpretation of the intended message. A less literal intepretation is clearly more reasonable, but opens itself up to relativity; clearly the intended message is that they were seperated into very small pieces but nobody is in a position to define the exact scale of those very small pieces. Essentially, the feat, as a whole, is largely vague in too many ways that we can establish it as a notably impressive feat.

Nephthys
Because everyone knows that if you can't tell exactly how much over 9,000 a number is, it isn't really over 9,000.

Brako Cott
watrusaying?

Brako Cott
Seriously Nephthys, no, just no, not at all, just,

WRONG!

Brako Cott
What you are saying would be an apt description if I was denying that they were larger than atoms because we don't know just exactly how much larger they are.

thatisnotwhatisaid

Nephthys
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome my analogy was.

SIDIOUS 66
The point is that if the intended message is an entirely literal one: that their bodies were seperated into pieces a single order of magnitude greater than atoms, the distinction between "atomized" and "all but atomized" is so tediously precise, practically meaningless and random that it's an incredibly unrealistic interpretation of the intended message. A less literal intepretation is clearly more reasonable, but opens itself up to relativity; clearly the intended message is that they were seperated into very small pieces but nobody is in a position to define the exact scale of those very small pieces. Essentially, the feat, as a whole, is largely vague in too many ways that we can establish it as a notably impressive feat.

I have six lines that I need to pass: A red line, a yellow line, a blue line, a green line, a pink line, and a black line. I all but passed the black line (which is the last line). Wouldn't you take it that I passed all the other lines except for the black line?

Same way with "all but atomized". Except in this case it's describing how small they were reduced without becoming atoms. Atoms would be the stopping point, kinda like the "black line". They reached the atoms without becoming atoms.

ares834
Holy shit... That's pretty much an unprecedented display of force push. When did Luceno become Karpyshyn?

RE: Blaxican
It's really, really obvious what the ability Luceno is trying describe is.

It can be seen here at 2:23

Which is why I laugh at the silly low-balling.

PlagueiSpoilers
Originally posted by ares834
Holy shit... That's pretty much an unprecedented display of force push. When did Luceno become Karpyshyn?

I'll take offense on Mr. Luceno's behalf.

Lucius
TFU reminds me of all the ways SW has become a steaming pile of shit. The punching through shit was silly bullshit from the 'toon. It should have stayed that way.

Brako Cott
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
It's really, really obvious what the ability Luceno is trying describe is.

It can be seen here at 2:23

Which is why I laugh at the silly low-balling.

To you, maybe. To me it is quite obvious that what Luceno is describing is this, and your interpretation is no better than mine on the matter:

Brako Cott
Regardless, some of you people are way too easily pleased. Get back to me when Plagueis converses with sub-atomic particles or directly mounts celestial bodies before you start comparing him to a certain someone.

Nephthys
mounts celestial bodies

Giggidy.

Also Wut.

Lucius
Hmm that's Kahlen from the Legend of the Seeker series.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.