Justice League Or Avengers?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
If our planet was attacked by a cosmic force, which team would you have more faith in defeating it? lets just use the teams from the past decade.

Wang Monkey2
Originally posted by Prep-Man
If our planet was attacked by a cosmic force, which team would you have more faith in defeating it? lets just use the teams from the past decade.

As both defeat cosmic forces regularly, either. Although the FF and JSA are good bets as well as are the Xmen and everyone else because unless I'm missing something, they always save the world!

Q99
JLA. Last decade Avengers has generally had a fairly low-power level, though made up for by having multiple teams.

The JLA has had a couple leagues in the last decade, some better than others, but the Dick-lead league was good, the pre-Infinite Crisis league was very good, and while the post-IC league accomplished little it did have heavy hitters.

Wang Monkey2

Q99
Originally posted by Wang Monkey2
So have the Avengers ever failed to save the Earth?

Nope, neither have, but expressing a preference for one or the other, I'll go for the one that does so more often and is moderately better equipped to do so, even if both are fully capable of the job.

The Avengers of the last decade haven't fought a lot of cosmic threats, I'll note. Most of the cosmic stuff has been off fighting the space enemies.

Wang Monkey2

Glorificus
I'd want a team that's willing to do ANYTHING to save human lives, including KILLING. I don't know if that's still a big issue or not with the Justice League and their No-killing policy.

Uriel005
Originally posted by Glorificus
I'd want a team that's willing to do ANYTHING to save human lives, including KILLING. I don't know if that's still a big issue or not with the Justice League and their No-killing policy. I'd actually argue imprisonment in the phantom zone is a fate worse than death...

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Uriel005 I'd actually argue imprisonment in the phantom zone is a fate worse than death...

id argue that the timepoint is even worse. there are ways to get out of the zone, but no such ways with the timepoint. hourman was stuck there.

JakeTheBank
Last decade? Justice League, I suppose. Avengers have been pretty low end under Bendis' pen.

I would take Busiek/Perez' Avengers team, though.

cdtm
From the choices, probably JLA.

But when it comes to high end cosmic threats, the JSA's the team to get. While the JLA was usually dealing with Amazo, The General, Prometheus, the JSA is throwing down with the King of Tears, Extant with Warlogog, 5d imps, old god Gog.. The JLA does big threats too, but less regularly than the JSA (And they had the JSA with them for Crisis Times Five, and other teams for Imperiex and Megaddon..)

Q99
Wonder Woman and Aquaman will kill.

Also, they have more resources/options period.

Originally posted by Wang Monkey2
As neither have ever failed your points are ludicrous. If either failed the entire comic line would have to be completely rebooted. How seriously cowardly were DC? They missed the opportunity to traumatise preteens with TE END OF DA WOLD 1011111.

How is it ludicrous to have a preference when they've been dealing with different numbers of threats?

Just because neither has failed and both are good doesn't mean that there's no difference whatsoever or criteria on which to hold a preference. That's the ludicrous position.

Cosmic threats in the last decade that come to mind. Scarlet Witch (dealt with by alt-universe heroes). Annihilus (Nova and co). Phalanx (ditto). Secret Invasion (not just/primarily Avengers). War of Kings (space types again). Cancerverse (ditto). Sentry/Void (Avengers). Fear Itself (Avengers).

Now, they have no failures, but some were really tough for them, and for the most part they've been dealing far more with non-cosmic threats. In the last decade they've far more focused on stuff like Civil War, and Norman Osborn and his dark reign, and so on and so forth, and similarly the teams are built that way- it's only now during Heroic Age that they're going beyond one herald-level big hitter on the team.

The JLA has faced multiple Crisis events in that time, and a number of other cosmic threats. Stuff like universal truth itself unraveling (JLA Golden Perfect), or a White Martian invasion, or 6th dimension beings (the story where the JLA was split into secret IDs and hero selves), or Obsidian Age, or the whole Final Crisis thing, or Gaia itself thinking of wiping out humanity (JLA #100). They and the JLE sub-team fought and got rid of the Whorlogog controlled by Manchester Black.

The Mark Waid and Joe Kelly runs of JLA were in the last decade, and in those the JLA fought cosmic threats pretty often.

Wangeroo

Q99
I don't think you know what 'preference' means.

cdtm
Give me Superman and Captain America.

What more do you need?

Wangeroo

Prep-Man
Originally posted by cdtm Give me Superman and Captain America. What more do you need?

ill take zatanna and canary!

-Pr-
Originally posted by Glorificus
I'd want a team that's willing to do ANYTHING to save human lives, including KILLING. I don't know if that's still a big issue or not with the Justice League and their No-killing policy.

It isn't so much the League as it is certain members. Some of the members will straight up tear you to shreds if you push them.

They just try not to do it too much in front of innocent civilians.

--

Also, guys, please don't reply to socks.

Bouboumaster
Fantastic Four

Seriously: Reed Richards and Franklin Richards is all you need

Prep-Man
with heavy prep, sure, but there is no prep in here. just straight power. ff lacks that.

vansonbee
with heavy prep, sure, but there is no prep in here. just straight power. ff lacks that. I would regard Franklin as straight power.

So far in FF comics, Avengers + FF is dealing pretty well against the sudden invasion of the Kree.

SquallX
with heavy prep, sure, but there is no prep in here. just straight power. ff lacks that.

Reeds needs prep, not Franklin.

ColossusGrundy
ill take zatanna and canary!

Agreed............

cdtm
Originally posted by SquallX
Reeds needs prep, not Franklin.

Yeah, Reed almost never relies on Franklins power, and discourages him from using it.

franklines usually even less useful than Jakeem Thunder and his imp.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.