Our Star

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

D-Wag
This might not be the right forum for this topic but I like thinkers wink

I believe if there was something as simple as a timer counting down over our sun, giving us approximately the current duration we have left until our sun dies/destroys us. We would implement the way we live life totally different as a human race.

How do you view this concept and reality?

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/sun-update-1.jpg

Deja~vu
If our days were limited then it would certainly change the way we would live. Hopefully making the best of the time we have and build a space ship too. lol

Symmetric Chaos
Five billion years? That's a big number. People don't have a way of imagining a span of time that long. Fantasy writers have trouble keeping track of timelines only a few thousand years long.

That's two hundred million generations.
That's longer than it took us to go from bacteria to humans.

Doomsday clocks need to be more tangible than the death of the sun.

King Kandy
I highly doubt humans as we know them will exist when the sun dies.

Mindship
Originally posted by D-Wag
I believe if there was something as simple as a timer counting down over our sun, giving us approximately the current duration we have left until our sun dies/destroys us. We would implement the way we live life totally different as a human race.We already know how much longer the Sun will last, and it's making no apparent difference at all in how we conduct ourselves. Humans are basically ESTs: emotional short-term thinkers, creating problems for our children and grandchildren to solve, less than a century off. What's going to happen gigayears from now is meaningless compared to quarterly market reports.

That aside: Happy New Year, y'all.

Deja~vu
Oh, we were talking about billions of years. I was thinking something like 150 years or so.

comfort I think I'll go back to what I was doing now.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by King Kandy
I highly doubt humans as we know them will exist when the sun dies.

Since we don't know when the end of the world is coming it may or may not die before we are dead.

inimalist
Global warming is junk science!

Digi
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
Since we don't know when the end of the world is coming it may or may not die before we are dead.

Well, we do know the approximate lifespan of our sun. It's also unlikely that a world-destroying event would take place in this lifetime that would eradicate all life. Saying it could, or that we don't know, is technically true. But every day we live our lives based on statistical likelihoods...otherwise we would never get out of bed in the morning, for fear of death.

D-Wag
At times I feel like were sooo deep into our current economy and government system that until something tragic happens were going to be traveling down the same path for hundreds of years to come.

King Kandy
Originally posted by D-Wag
At times I feel like were sooo deep into our current economy and government system that until something tragic happens were going to be traveling down the same path for hundreds of years to come.
Betting on stability for hundreds of years has always been a losing bet.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Digi
Well, we do know the approximate lifespan of our sun. It's also unlikely that a world-destroying event would take place in this lifetime that would eradicate all life. Saying it could, or that we don't know, is technically true. But every day we live our lives based on statistical likelihoods...otherwise we would never get out of bed in the morning, for fear of death.

Maybe but I still don't think we will know when the earth ends or about the sun but I do see what you are saying.

JediRobin23
By the time the sun ends, we should have evolved into super humans. If we needed another sun, galactic travel would also be available.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.