Employers requiring a high school diploma? Not so fast, says EEOC.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Link.

Been nice knowing you, America. Thank God we have Ms. Metzler and Ms. Goldberg working to ensure that pointless legalism keeps the frivolous lawsuits coming.

dadudemon
I do not understand this... That's stupid (pun?). How the **** is a potential employer supposed to know if a person can do a job BEFORE hiring them?

Of course, all High School Diplomas are not created equal. A highschool diploma from a Posh Connecticut High School is going to mean a lot more than ... pretty much any diploma from South Carolina. (http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/school-district/ratings/worst100/)

The GED is better because it is standard. An uncle of mine dropped out of highschool and thought he needed help "studying" for the GED. Turns out that it is almost a joke. So easy, in fact, that a decent student could pass it in middle school. The fact that you have to be 16 to take the test should prove that it is "rigged" to prevent kids from getting out of school many years too early and starting college. That's just a baseless whining theory of mine, of course. I don't know if it's true but why put an age restriction on the GED?

Back on topic, employers can and should require all sorts of shit before they hire someone. We are moving too far into "authoritarian" these days. Let employers decide who they want to hire. Yes, let them discriminate if they want to. Let the people support or not support those organizations by voting with their money. The progressive response to that: "but what if society never changes. Should it not be the government's responsibility to force positive social change when the people do not do it for themselves"? I don't think so for the most part.

AsbestosFlaygon
Get a college degree from the cheapest university/college in the country, and your chances of landing a well-paid job will still be better than a non-graduate.

I think kids these days should learn how to be a bit more patient.
Go to school and finish schooling. It's not that hard. Just don't skip classes. Work can wait.
I just don't get understand why a lot of kids skip school, even when given free education.

Symmetric Chaos
Here's the only bit that matters, the part that the EEOC actually said. I'm sure Zeal just forgot highlight it:

So every employer will simply say its job-related and move on.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Ms. Metzler and Ms. Goldberg

lol jews

dadudemon
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
So every employer will simply say its job-related and move on.

That's not how it* works: they have to prove that** if a judge chooses to "hear" the civil suit.

Ambiguous pronouns defined:

* "it" = "civil suit"
** "that" - "it is job-related"

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by focus4chumps
lol jews
Got it in one.

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
That's not how it* works: they have to prove that** if a judge chooses to "hear" the civil suit.

* "it" = "civil suit"

Why even use the ambiguous pronouns?

Symmetric Chaos

* "it" = "civil suit"

True, though where I come from the solution has just been to lose all the applications from people that "don't have a chance".

In any event I don't like this decision (is it even that much? it says they posted a letter on their website) and hope it gets struck down on the basis of being a ridiculous stretch of the idea of disability.

A GED is an entirely legitimate thing to ask for and there are very few limitations on getting it.

Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Got it in one.

But int's Meltzer opposed to this legislation?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
Why even use the ambiguous pronouns?

Generally, I do not edit the content of my posts: only make corrections or add content. I try to leave the original intact as much as possible.

Anyway, did the "edit" time stamp thingie show?

I went back through the post after reading it. I realized that my post was written in the way you, Symmetric Chaos, and AuraAngel like to do: potentially ambiguous pronouns. I do not like how you three do that as it is confusing so I figured I would redefine.

Here is what the original post said:

"That's not how it works: they have to prove that if a judge chooses to "hear" the civil suit."

King Kandy
I do not understand this... That's stupid (pun?). How the **** is a potential employer supposed to know if a person can do a job BEFORE hiring them?

Of course, all High School Diplomas are not created equal. A highschool diploma from a Posh Connecticut High School is going to mean a lot more than ... pretty much any diploma from South Carolina. (http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/school-district/ratings/worst100/)

The GED is better because it is standard. An uncle of mine dropped out of highschool and thought he needed help "studying" for the GED. Turns out that it is almost a joke. So easy, in fact, that a decent student could pass it in middle school. The fact that you have to be 16 to take the test should prove that it is "rigged" to prevent kids from getting out of school many years too early and starting college. That's just a baseless whining theory of mine, of course. I don't know if it's true but why put an age restriction on the GED?

Back on topic, employers can and should require all sorts of shit before they hire someone. We are moving too far into "authoritarian" these days. Let employers decide who they want to hire. Yes, let them discriminate if they want to. Let the people support or not support those organizations by voting with their money. The progressive response to that: "but what if society never changes. Should it not be the government's responsibility to force positive social change when the people do not do it for themselves"? I don't think so for the most part.
I have a friend who passed GED in middle school like you say. I probably could have done it as well given the sort of questions I see on it. I agree, I think it is probably to limit people. On the other hand, just passing GED does not necessarily give people the study skills needed to deal with a rigorous college, precisely because it is so easy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.