Is KMC going to die?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jedireaper
So the Admin's gone and hasn't been heard from. The Mods are disappearing, and there are only and hand full of people on day by day... whats happened to KMC. Was the Admin also paying for the server at which point what happens when that paymant runs out, will the forum be closed down? It would feel like I had lost a home! SO... what do you think?

focus4chumps
also, is orson welles going to die?

Digi
No reason to think it will. Your scenario there is based on a supposition we can't possibly verify.

Mods are still around, there's still activity. Just less than 4-5 years ago. Not a big deal. You aren't the first "KMC sky is falling" post though. I'm guessing one of us will close it eventually, but it's harmless enough as is.

Zeal Ex Nihilo
Not as long as I'm here to shitpost.

ADarksideJedi
I am sure this site will go on but as for lossing memebers that happens to the best of sites. So we will have to wait and see!

focus4chumps
Originally posted by ADarksideJedi
I am sure this site will go on but as for lossing memebers that happens to the best of sites.

no. it doesn't.

Digi
Well, it happens to most forums. It's hard to continue to sustain and grow without generating new content almost constantly.

I see it as a non-issue. There's a few things I used to do that died off when people weren't around (signature duel forum, for instance) but I enjoy KMC and that's really all that matters. There's nothing monetary on the line for any of us, so it's really just classic overreaction to turn into a doomsayer.

It's like the trolls that pop on to insult mods, make bait threads, etc. A lot of them love yelling that KMC is dying/dead. But who does that actually affect? Who do they imagine is insulted by that? Everyone's here because they enjoy it, and they'll stop when they don't.

I do wish Raz would come back briefly though. We want him to be able to appoint a deputy admin to delete unused forums, create new ones, etc. It might actually stimulate activity a bit. Alas.

Lord Lucien
Why has he stopped logging on?

dadudemon
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

He had to poop, man. Cut him some slack.

Nephthys
http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/a2/8i/qn/ing-dies-1.gif

Though Raz is lame as hell for not coming back here. Or he's dead. no expression

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Nephthys
http://cdn.pimpmyspace.org/media/pms/c/a2/8i/qn/ing-dies-1.gif

Though Raz is lame as hell for not coming back here. Or he's dead. no expression I like to imagine that some members who stop posting out of nowhere actually did die.

ADarksideJedi
Yea it does.

Darth Jello
I think KMC will recover if certain members trying to turn the GD forum into their own personal stormfront get dealt with.

Jedireaper
I only put this up to get some convo rolling, seems to have worked. I wonder what Raz is up to these days?

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Digi
~

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/memberlist.php?what=datejoined

during all the star wars hyperspace sharing there were hundreds registering in a day. when new registrations taper off like this, to like 8-10 a day, its almost over. its not like its going to end on a dramatic sour note, but eventually, as current members get bored and leave, its going to be a post-a-week derelict forum....except for the comic book vs section.

i dont think raz will ever come back, unless he's bored and wants to say 'hi' to whomever remains.

i think the core problem is that slow updating information sites with forums are becoming obsolete.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I think KMC will recover if certain members trying to turn the GD forum into their own personal stormfront get dealt with.

Recover to it's previous, completely unused, state?

Zeal Ex Nihilo
I think America would recover if a certain ethnic minority stopped ruining its foreign policy.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
I think America would recover if a certain ethnic minority stopped ruining its foreign policy.

Haitians?

Nephthys
Klingons?

Jenny_Bug
I hope KMC doesn't die! I just came back after 5 years! I missed it a lot!

Jenny_Bug
Well, it happens to most forums. It's hard to continue to sustain and grow without generating new content almost constantly.

I see it as a non-issue. There's a few things I used to do that died off when people weren't around (signature duel forum, for instance) but I enjoy KMC and that's really all that matters. There's nothing monetary on the line for any of us, so it's really just classic overreaction to turn into a doomsayer.

It's like the trolls that pop on to insult mods, make bait threads, etc. A lot of them love yelling that KMC is dying/dead. But who does that actually affect? Who do they imagine is insulted by that? Everyone's here because they enjoy it, and they'll stop when they don't.

I do wish Raz would come back briefly though. We want him to be able to appoint a deputy admin to delete unused forums, create new ones, etc. It might actually stimulate activity a bit. Alas.

Agreed

AsbestosFlaygon
Someday it will eventually, like all the great forums before it.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
Someday it will eventually, like all the great forums before it.

In a thousand years a cyber achaeologist will find KMC in the layers of the "old internet" and find these words:

My name is Raz, admin of admins:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Jedireaper
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
In a thousand years a cyber achaeologist will find KMC in the layers of the "old internet" and find these words:

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair! Nice one smile KMC has been my home for the last 4 and a bit years... I've watched it...

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Jedireaper
Nice one smile KMC has been my home for the last 4 and a bit years... I've watched it... Do you not have a house to go to?

Jenny_Bug
Nice one smile KMC has been my home for the last 4 and a bit years... I've watched it...

I was here 4 or 5 years ago and I had to leave =[ I became homesick and came back now most my friends left lol

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Jenny_Bug
I was here 4 or 5 years ago and I had to leave =
Why did you leave?

Jenny_Bug
Why did you leave?

Had a stalker online and had delete delete all online accounts except this one cuz my stalker never found me in here. I took a break to try to avoid the stalker completely

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
laughing out loud

Hmm...if websites don't get deleted do they still exist even if no one accesses them?

AsbestosFlaygon
Had a stalker online and had delete delete all online accounts except this one cuz my stalker never found me in here. I took a break to try to avoid the stalker completely
And it took you 5 years to avoid the stalker?
That's a hecka long time, ma'am.

Jenny_Bug
And it took you 5 years to avoid the stalker?
That's a hecka long time, ma'am.

Just being cautious =]

quanchi112
It has become far slower than it used to be. There's got to be a few tricks up kmc's sleeve to rejuvenate this place.

Ban Mido
The thought of KMC fading away does scare me in a sense, cause even though I'm not as active as most(I tend to lurk and watch from afar most of the time) let me just say I've witnessed some fantastic debates on here and def learned a thing or two. This is easily my favorite forum on the web and it has been for quite a few years lol.

Looking back at some of the people that have left certainly can be sad, but I'm glad most of the people from when I first joined 5-6 years ago are still around here today haha.

Jaeh
Back when I'm bored. I can't find things that entertain me here much anymore. The waterfalls are gone. And so are the fish I used to play with.

Jedireaper
perhaps there is hope for us yet... smile

Don Corleone
So the Admin's gone and hasn't been heard from. The Mods are disappearing, and there are only and hand full of people on day by day... whats happened to KMC. Was the Admin also paying for the server at which point what happens when that paymant runs out, will the forum be closed down? It would feel like I had lost a home! SO... what do you think?

Hopefully KMC will be around forever, but if it someday closes for some reason you're all welcome to join this .

http://teamauthority.myfastforum.org/index.php?sid=493500e4d18f3d668a183337dde22965

There are many KMC posters registered .

dadudemon
Reported for spamming and advertising (Just kidding).

Deja~vu
I know I miss alot of old posters. I've been here since 2005. I've had to leave a few times for personal reasons, but I'm back!! big grin big grin

I just changed my user name. Stalkers, ya know.

Digi
Originally posted by quanchi112
It has become far slower than it used to be. There's got to be a few tricks up kmc's sleeve to rejuvenate this place.

There is, but all of them that we're aware of involve Raz coming back long enough to promote someone to assistant admin.

§P0oONY
It will die.... and to be honest I'll not be bothered in the slightest. If you'd asked me the same question a few years ago I would have been horrified at the idea.

In a nutshell these forums hold no interst to me anymore. The immaturity of certain members; of all ranks, Raz abandoning the forums and general traffic slumps leave me with nothing but contempt for a place that I used to love.

I only come back here every now and again as a force of habit...

Digi
Originally posted by §P0oONY
It will die.... and to be honest I'll not be bothered in the slightest. If you'd asked me the same question a few years ago I would have been horrified at the idea.

In a nutshell these forums hold no interst to me anymore. The immaturity of certain members; of all ranks, Raz abandoning the forums and general traffic slumps leave me with nothing but contempt for a place that I used to love.

I only come back here every now and again as a force of habit...

Heh...contempt.

Deja~vu
maybe we should let all the RESTRICTED people back. lol It sure made it interesting in a psycho kind of way.

Digi
For all the complaints we get, this forum would be unreadable if we didn't ban socks, trolls, and ad spammers. We probably average about 5 a day that some mod gets. Extrapolate that over the course of years and it's a scary prospect.

RE: Blaxican
Some of those people wouldn't have to make socks if they were allowed to come back, or weren't banned for dubious reasons, to be fair.

Jenny_Bug
Originally posted by Deja~vu
maybe we should let all the RESTRICTED people back. lol It sure made it interesting in a psycho kind of way.

agreed lol it would be interesting but I doubt they want to come back

Mindship
I think the more important question is: will it reincarnate?

Deja~vu
Everything reincarnates, but into what???

BTW, I do love this forum even though I haven't been very active lately.

focus4chumps
it doesnt matter. even if their hearts grew 3 sizes bigger this day, and they unbanned members, the registrations are still way down. to complain about specific members is pointless quibbling.

in the summer of 2005, kmc was averaging about 250 new registrations per day. probably a buttload more before and during may (star wars ep3 release). today it is around 15 per day. thats the relevant data pertaining to the forum's slow death, not whether RJ should be unbanned.

Digi
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Some of those people wouldn't have to make socks if they were allowed to come back, or weren't banned for dubious reasons, to be fair.

Well, that's the other thing. 90% of what goes on with mods isn't seen by everyone, so a lot of times "dubious reasons" amount to legitimate reasons...it's just that non-mods are only seeing part of the whole.

We actually have a standardized protocol for warnings, temp bans, perms, etc. We also discuss anything that isn't completely black & white, so that there's more than one perspective. No one's going vigilante and acting alone. So the accusations of bias are often unwarranted, even given that some subjectivity needs to be inherent in the system for it to work.

The few times I've been confronted about a specific ban, I've been able to justify it well beyond what I felt was necessary. How we deal with criticism varies, but most mods are happy to justify their reasoning when decisions are made. The fact is that we don't need to, it being a privately owned forum with delegated powers and privileges, but we're not heartless.

What focus said above me is also true. Most socks are generally a few people making a LOT of accounts. Allowing them back in wouldn't fix anything in terms of numebrs on the forums.

dadudemon
Originally posted by focus4chumps
in the summer of 2005, kmc was averaging about 250 new registrations per day. probably a buttload more before and during may (star wars ep3 release). today it is around 15 per day. thats the relevant data pertaining to the forum's slow death, not whether RJ should be unbanned.

Who is this RJ poster you talk of? And why do you know about him/her if you are a new member?

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
Who is this RJ poster you talk of? And why do you know about him/her if you are a new member?

He registered in Oct 2008...

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
He registered in Oct 2008...

And did not make a single post until 2009, only made 3 then, and only in the Dune thread.

Unless he's stalking RJ, his log in times do not correspond to a "new" member. He'd have no way of knowing that...unless he wasn't new to KMC.

rudester
hi guys im new here can someone show me around?

RE: Blaxican
Because no one has ever lurked before.

dadudemon
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
Because no one has ever lurked before.

It's an inside joke between Bardock and I. He knows what he's doing and I know what he's on about. Ask him on his boards why we are even having that conversation.

dadudemon
Enjoy your short stay, WangleR. thumb up

Jaeh
agreed lol it would be interesting but I doubt they want to come back

how'd you even let them know they're unbanned, right? send them a message? rolling on floor laughing

Patient_Leech

A-f#cking-men to that. Lump all this stupid Vs. shit into one forum for starters..

focus4chumps
Originally posted by dadudemon
And did not make a single post until 2009, only made 3 then, and only in the Dune thread.

Unless he's stalking RJ, his log in times do not correspond to a "new" member. He'd have no way of knowing that...unless he wasn't new to KMC.

why are you so upset, friend?

we should stick to the topic, huh?

Digi
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
A-f#cking-men to that. Lump all this stupid Vs. shit into one forum for starters..

Well, no, we tried that once, it actually creates more problems. Mostly it would be killing dead forums and making new ones that would get more traffic.

Patient_Leech
Well, no, we tried that once, it actually creates more problems. Mostly it would be killing dead forums and making new ones that would get more traffic.

Well, in any case, the number of forums should be greatly reduced.

garbleeze
it should, most of the users on this site are morons anyway

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

yeah whats the story with Raz mods,did he die or something?

Mr Parker

Stoic
The inactivity of many users being on KMC may be simply due to the economic downturn. Maybe people simply aren't able to afford to pay for an ISP (Internet Service Provider). I mean when things get tough, it's usually the least essential things in our lives that disappear first.

Mr. Rhythmic
Originally posted by Zeal Ex Nihilo
Not as long as I'm here to shitpost.

He's finally banned?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHJoj9IqeKg

jaden101
The forum didn't die...It was killed.

Bat Dude
I've been around so long now... since September 2004. If KMC were to get closed down, it would be almost surreal to me.

Mr. Rhythmic
Actually, I'll be leaving this site pretty soon. I left for about 5 months, and when I returned, it was like seeing the aftermath of a science-fiction atomic explosion: Completely void, and yet 90% of its inhabitants now being some type of grotesque mutant.
I think one major reason it's dying out if because of the clique thing that magically happened. It's almost like going to a cafeteria now where you only talk to your group, not the verbal free-for-all it once was. Well, all good things come to an end.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Deja~vu
maybe we should let all the RESTRICTED people back. lol It sure made it interesting in a psycho kind of way. I've always been up for this. I think every time someone decides to sock their way back you extend their temp ban even longer making it very lengthy. It would prohibit socking to a degree.

I have always felt perma's came way to easily but this is just my opinion and they just happen to vary.

guy222
kmc is here to stay

rudester
for another day.

Nemesis X
Is KMC going to die? Well, to me, it probably will if Raz doesn't show to make the All Versus Forum.

Lord Shadow Z

I'll let the Gauls answer:

§P0oONY
Originally posted by Stoic
The inactivity of many users being on KMC may be simply due to the economic downturn. Maybe people simply aren't able to afford to pay for an ISP (Internet Service Provider). I mean when things get tough, it's usually the least essential things in our lives that disappear first.
Hahahahahahahaha....

No.

astarisborn94
The place looks pretty active from what I see. I don't think it'll die anytime soon (and I hope not, since I just recently joined and want to get to know you guys (and girls if there are any here).

quanchi112
Originally posted by astarisborn94
The place looks pretty active from what I see. I don't think it'll die anytime soon (and I hope not, since I just recently joined and want to get to know you guys (and girls if there are any here). I don't think it will die completely anytime soon but it's on the decline. Bigtime.

Shakyamunison
What the...

Barker
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Is KMC going to die? Well, to me, it probably will if Raz doesn't show to make the All Versus Forum.
Yes, the comic forums are all that's keeping KMC alive.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
Actually, I'll be leaving this site pretty soon. I left for about 5 months, and when I returned, it was like seeing the aftermath of a science-fiction atomic explosion: Completely void, and yet 90% of its inhabitants now being some type of grotesque mutant.
I think one major reason it's dying out if because of the clique thing that magically happened. It's almost like going to a cafeteria now where you only talk to your group, not the verbal free-for-all it once was. Well, all good things come to an end.

I know.Most the posters you see now you dont even recognize anymore.Kmc used to be a fun place to hang out the first couple years or so I was here from 2003 to like 2005 or so and then the place just went to hell.That pretty much describes it now,you come here and talk to your group and thats about it.Its not a free for all anymore like the good old days when there were so many cool posters around.Yeah thats so true,all good things have to come to an end sometime.Its just to bad it had to happen so soon here.

What's a Whirly
Originally posted by jaden101
The forum didn't die...It was killed.

thumb up

Wingsprint
Courtney Love is eliminating Members and Administrators....

Wingsprint
Are you sure that they are not just in their bunkers....and getting ready to come out in six months and have the forum to themselves....

maybe they are just cleaning their guns.....

rudester
yeah prob yeah...lol

KidRock
Make me a MOD..

I have been here longer then 99% of you slugs.

~Bun Bun~
Harry Potter ending... KMC taking a shit... What is the world coming too?! cry lol.

It would be cool to see this place blossom again. So many fond memories. We did end up having a clique problem, I remember when I first joined it seemed like a free for all. Man that was fun. I miss all the sexy parties *sigh*

This same thing happened to my gaming clan tho, people stopped coming and when we talked revamping the leaders didn't agree and it just died.

Kinda sad.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by KidRock
Make me a MOD..

I have been here longer then 99% of you slugs.

But you would ban the rest of us.

Major_Lexington
http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2007/09/forumnecromancy.jpg

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Major_Lexington
http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2007/09/forumnecromancy.jpg

Are you saying we ARE zombies?

focus4chumps
i'm pretty sure that's intended to be posted when someone bumps a very old thread.

Darth Macabre
I come back after a few years of a slow, law school-fueled death and I find...KMC is dead. I guess I was the glue that held it all together.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Darth Macabre
I come back after a few years of a slow, law school-fueled death and I find...KMC is dead. I guess I was the glue that held it all together.

At least your back.sweatdrop

Major_Lexington
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Are you saying we ARE zombies?

no but reading any posts will result in the return if the army of darkness,

QUICK GET THE BOOMSTICK!!!!

http://facepwn.com/posters/boomstick-smart.jpg

En Sabah Nur X
look at what happened with gaf gaming-age forums, they survived transitions by mods to various free forums, and eventually they created neogaf.

If worse comes to worse this place could be turned into neokmc and hosted by a mod or mods. if they decide to do it, I want in on the new site.

Milkie
Probably

TheGodKiller
Not before comicvine does .

jinXed by JaNx
hard to believe that ive been apart of this forum for nine years now. It would certainly be shitty to see KMC close its doors.

Old Man Whirly!
I think KMC will recover if certain members trying to turn the GD forum into their own personal stormfront get dealt with. 2012 the reference was to Zeal and Ddm... mmm

NewGuy01
Zeal?

Old Man Whirly!
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Zeal? Fecesman also called Zeal Ex Nihlo... He was the first far right nut who Ddm teamed with.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.