Was Revan powerful? He seemed so weak in the game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Board Walker
I'm confused, I am not a hardcore SW fan so when I read about Revan I got the impression he was the most powerful jed...or sith I'm not sure what he was, both? Than in the mmo that just came out it is revealed the sith emperor utterly destroyed him in combat...well with the assistance of the betrayer.

So I have some questions, if Revan's duel with the emperor was left uninterupted would he have won?

Also why did he betray revan, kill his ally and cause Revan to lose the duel?

Just confused about how powerful revan was, since he had mastery of both light and dark some thing I havent read that any other had.

Galan007
Originally posted by Board Walker
Just confused about how powerful revan was, since he had mastery of both light and dark some thing I havent read that any other had. Count Dooku? Galan Marek?

Stealth Moose
So I have some questions, if Revan's duel with the emperor was left uninterupted would he have won?

The context of the chapter in Revan makes it pretty clear that in a direct contest of Force strength, Revan was utterly overcome. The Sith Emperor isn't shown to be a very physically active combatant, but that's probably because his Force powers are so over the top, he can mentally dominate most opponents, TK them like ragdolls, or incapacitate them with lightning.

Could Revan and co. gotten lucky? Sure. Scourge seemed to believe that Meetra could have killed the Emperor while he was entirely focused on stabbing Revan, who was at this point already helpless. But that's like saying you could beat Bruce Lee because you have a sledgehammer lined up at his skull while he's face pounding Chuck Norris.

Prior to the match, Scourge has a prophetic Force vision, which sees someone else (specifically, the TOR MMO Jedi Knight) as being the one to truly defeat the Emperor. He then takes this as gospel and essentially paves the way for it to happen by betraying Revan and Meetra instead of attempting to aid them when the three were finally toe-to-toe with Vitiate.

Revan is still immensely powerful. The stunt where he turned Darth Nyriss to ash by absorbing and redirecting her lightning happened right after he re-acquired his memory of his former self in full. That coupled with his Jedi Master status and his affirmed status in the narration as the greatest champion of the Jedi Order, period means Revan is still one hell of a combatant.

He simply underestimated how powerful Vitiate's lightning could get.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Galan007
Count Dooku? Galan Marek? They didn't master both, they switched from side to the other.

ares834
Honestly, using both at the same time makes no sense.

Galan007
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
They didn't master both, they switched from side to the other. They mastered both sides individually=what I was saying.

Lord Lucien
They mastered both sides individually=what I was saying. Ah.

S_W_LeGenD
They mastered both sides individually=what I was saying.
They are still invalid examples.

Revan developed the capability to use both the light and dark sides of the Force simultaneously. Thus far, he is unique in this aspect in the whole mythos.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
They are still invalid examples.

Revan developed the capability to use both the light and dark sides of the Force simultaneously. Thus far, he is unique in this aspect in the whole mythos. And his theme song is great:

He's Gary, the Stu
And he loves, loves you

Galan007
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
They are still invalid examples. -Thread starter-
"he had mastery of both light and dark some thing I havent read that any other had."

-Me-
"Count Dooku? Galan Marek?"

I mentioned the above fellas, because both of them "had mastery of both light and dark." Could they use those aspects in unison? Well, Galan arguably could, but Dooku never did. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that each of them had mastered both the light and dark aspects of the force.

It was my half-ass attempt at subtle sarcasm. wink

S_W_LeGenD
And his theme song is great:

He's Gary, the Stu
And he loves, loves you
laughing

Thanks.

Lord Lucien
-Thread starter-
"he had mastery of both light and dark some thing I havent read that any other had."

-Me-
"Count Dooku? Galan Marek?"

I mentioned the above fellas, because both of them "had mastery of both light and dark." Could they use those aspects in unison? Well, Galan arguably could, but Dooku never did. Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that each of them had mastered both the light and dark aspects of the force.

It was my half-ass attempt at subtle sarcasm. wink I would never argue that Marek mastered the Light. He turned to it, but no freaking way he mastered it. Yoda mastered it. Marek was no Yoda. A sacrifice at the end isn't mastery.

Galan007
I would never argue that Marek mastered the Light. He turned to it, but no freaking way he mastered it. Yoda mastered it. Marek was no Yoda. A sacrifice at the end isn't mastery. Imo, one does not need to have the name "Yoda" to be considered a master of the light side of the force. Many other fellas throughout the mythos could also be given that title (ie. Dooku, Qui, Ben, etc.) I mean, if we are going by overall skillset, then Galan could certainly be seen as a light side master, imo.

Lord Lucien
Hmmm. Nope, still makes no sense. Raw power based on a lifetime of Dark Side training is not Light Side Mastery. He was a very powerful boy who made a conversion. But he was no Master.

Galan007
Hmmm. Nope, still makes no sense. Raw power based on a lifetime of Dark Side training is not Light Side Mastery. He was a very powerful boy who made a conversion. Almost all of the abilities/skills he possessed whilst embracing the dark side not only crossed over upon his conversion to the light, but they seemed to potentiate (ie. he was more powerful as a light sider then he was as a dark sider.)

...And he was an uber dark sider.

But he was no Master. Really depends how one defines a master of the light side. If that title is based on overall power/skillset, then Galan was very much a master, imo.

But tbh, I'm not really sure what qualifications one must have to be officially dubbed 'master'.... On either side. /shrug

Lord Lucien
If all that was required was power output, then Savage Oppress would be a Dark Side master, and Coleman Trebor would be a Padawan. Mastery doesn't come with how big your 'splosion are. Otherwise Anakin Skywalker would've been a Master before Obi-Wan.

Galan007
^ In all fairness, Galan was far more collected than those you mentioned, but that's neither here nor there.

Srs question, though: iyo, what pre-reqs must one have with a specific side of the force before they can be dubbed 'master'.

Lord Lucien
Mental fortitude and psychological wholeness. It's why I could never consider Vader to be a master of the Dark Side despite him being a masterful user of it as a weapon. Too many hang-ups and anxieties--like Marek. If it were as clear cut as simply being really good and throwing a Force push or gripping an object, then every trained Sensitive would be dubbed a 'master'. You can know every sequence and every kata, know a sword inside-out, but if you have limited control over your own emotions and desires then you're simply 'skilled', not 'masterful'.

Galan007
When Galan made the initial transition from dark to light in TFU did he not gain a much higher degree of mental clarity, which he used in conjunction with his, already uber, skillset?

Your point is well taken, though.

shinkoryu
I'm confused, I am not a hardcore SW fan so when I read about Revan I got the impression he was the most powerful jed...or sith I'm not sure what he was, both? Than in the mmo that just came out it is revealed the sith emperor utterly destroyed him in combat...well with the assistance of the betrayer.

Also why did he betray revan, kill his ally and cause Revan to lose the duel?

Just confused about how powerful revan was, since he had mastery of both light and dark some thing I havent read that any other had. He was rather weak as a boss in the game. HK47 was one hell of a harder fight.

And how did you get the impression that Revan is the most powerful sith when its clearly shown that Vitiate, Sidious and others clearly surpass him?

Dr McBeefington
Weak as a boss? We had more trouble with him than HK47. The only reason HK47 was difficult was because of the adds. We played against him as level 40-42 and he was still difficult.

zoom3
Idiot!!!!!!!!! He was the most powerful Jedi of his time!!! And he almost took down the Sith Emperor! Why do you even ask these questions?! Games down prove anything. Don't pay attention to what the games are like!!! Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the books instead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!

zoom3
And ,Dr McBeefington, GREED IS NOT GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If you believe that, you're no "Tebow Convert".

zoom3
Count Dooku? Galan Marek?

Very true.
And Anikan(maybe).

zoom3
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
The context of the chapter in Revan makes it pretty clear that in a direct contest of Force strength, Revan was utterly overcome. The Sith Emperor isn't shown to be a very physically active combatant, but that's probably because his Force powers are so over the top, he can mentally dominate most opponents, TK them like ragdolls, or incapacitate them with lightning.

Could Revan and co. gotten lucky? Sure. Scourge seemed to believe that Meetra could have killed the Emperor while he was entirely focused on stabbing Revan, who was at this point already helpless. But that's like saying you could beat Bruce Lee because you have a sledgehammer lined up at his skull while he's face pounding Chuck Norris.

Prior to the match, Scourge has a prophetic Force vision, which sees someone else (specifically, the TOR MMO Jedi Knight) as being the one to truly defeat the Emperor. He then takes this as gospel and essentially paves the way for it to happen by betraying Revan and Meetra instead of attempting to aid them when the three were finally toe-to-toe with Vitiate.

Revan is still immensely powerful. The stunt where he turned Darth Nyriss to ash by absorbing and redirecting her lightning happened right after he re-acquired his memory of his former self in full. That coupled with his Jedi Master status and his affirmed status in the narration as the greatest champion of the Jedi Order, period means Revan is still one hell of a combatant.

He simply underestimated how powerful Vitiate's lightning could get.

Well, you're a pro at this. I have the book, but I didn't remember everything.

Lord Lucien
You're an unlikeable person.

shinkoryu
Originally posted by Dr McBeefington
Weak as a boss? We had more trouble with him than HK47. The only reason HK47 was difficult was because of the adds. We played against him as level 40-42 and he was still difficult. Of the 3 times i ran the foundry HK47 was always the one giving us a hell lot of trouble.

His adds were tough but his endurance was friggin worse.

Revan had more health the only 2 dangers about facing him were his knockbacks which could knock you over the edge or his asteroid move. Other than that he doesn't really hit me that hard(im playing a juggernaught tank).

The party was only level 38-39 and our healer was 35 for this run.

Arhael
By force potential Revan was nearly as powerful as Anakin and Luke.

What made Revan the champion of the force of that time is being jedi heretic. Old order jedi were prohibited from using any emotions. But Revan embraced positive emotions like love same way as sith - anger, which put him several levels above other jedi of that time.

I am about to finish first book with Revan but from what I read on forums I can already conclude that he was doomed to loose to Vitiate.

Emperors power comes from consuming life surrounding him. He was fighting in his own ground, the very dark side surrounding the planet belonged to him. There is no way a jedi can match him with regular force uses.

Revan had a chance to win but his greatest mistake was to use both light and dark side during the fight. Someone like Vitiate can be beaten only by champion of the light side. By using dark side Revan prevented himself from achieving state of oneness with the force, the state in which jedi's powers become limitless.

Board Walker
So dark side users cannot achieve oneness with the force?

Would revan have won the fight with vitae if he was not betrayed by his ally mid fight?

mstanford2912
No, his oneness just managed to put Vitiate on his ass. When Vitiate turned up the intensity of his force lightning, it was all over.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.