George Lucas Butthurt that Nobody Cares about 3D JarJar, Retires.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

focus4chumps
http://www.metro.co.uk/film/887760-george-lucas-announces-hes-retiring-from-making-blockbusters

apologies if its been posted, but i couldnt find anything on it.

and please dont change the thread title. it may seem inflammatory, but its also accurate.

so what do think of his decision and what may or may not come of it? will he take his "no original releases in HI-Res" policy to his grave? will the live action tv show happen? is there a chance of it being watchable now that he implies that he wont be involved in it beyond collecting licensing royalties? so much to discuss for but one thread. what are your thoughts?

darthmaul1
Originally posted by focus4chumps
http://www.metro.co.uk/film/887760-george-lucas-announces-hes-retiring-from-making-blockbusters

apologies if its been posted, but i couldnt find anything on it.

and please dont change the thread title. it may seem inflammatory, but its also accurate.

so what do think of his decision and what may or may not come of it? will he take his "no original releases in HI-Res" policy to his grave? will the live action tv show happen? is there a chance of it being watchable now that he implies that he wont be involved in it beyond collecting licensing royalties? so much to discuss for but one thread. what are your thoughts?

What Movies? it's not like he's spielberg in directing a lot of movies. hes only done 6 i think. yes he has had his hand in alot of other things, like indiana jones, and others but i think 3 big name directors (lucas, spielberg & cameron) have lost their minds as the years go on.
I think Lucas has a wonderful imangination, that is why star was is so good, but when he just went to writing and producing and left episode 5 to irvin kershner we were given the best movie EVER!
He should leave star wars alone, and pass it off to someone IF in the future they want make 789. I do agree they are HIS movies but also he should aknowledge the fans! and give them both versions of the film. or atleast the original theatrical versions with the updated effects but not any of the new scenes or any of the altered sounds.

Robtard
Let us pray that in his epic crying and butt-hurt over the oh so mean critics, he's not above handing the reigns over to another writer(s) and director(s). I wouldn't mind some EU films or shows.

Grown man crying over some healthy criticism, for shame.

queeq
No need to complain I'd say. He brings out crap, we all buy it. We cheer at him loudly when he appears in public. All we ask to ALSO have the originals, I'm sure that would take a lot of the complaints away and Lucas could tinker unto eternity.

Why doesn't he just say he wants to do smaller pictures. He said it when he finished ROTS years ago... and he never made a small independent picture. Frabnkly I doubt he'll ever make one, but I would love to see it though. Maybe it's great, maybe it sucks but at least we don't have to question his motives. And I think that's the thing that's bothering a lot of fans.

steverules_2
Does this mean no Star Wars 3D?

focus4chumps

queeq
SW isn't public domain yet.

And I'm sure the SW 3D project will continue. Lucas needs SOME excuse not to make these small, independent pictures he's been talking about for years.

Kazenji
Originally posted by darthmaul1
and others but i think 3 big name directors (lucas, spielberg & cameron) have lost their minds as the years go on.

How has Cameron lost his mind?

i can understand the other two from what they say over the years.

queeq
How has SPielberg lost his mind? I mean, some of his films kinda missed the makr. But with TinTIn and with the good reviews for War Horse... this guy is still making decent films.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by queeq
SW isn't public domain yet.

And I'm sure the SW 3D project will continue. Lucas needs SOME excuse not to make these small, independent pictures he's been talking about for years.

his point then was that a copyright holder of american art has an ethical duty to preserve it as it was when released.

Sadako of Girth
You have so got to watch "The people vs George Lucas", if you haven't already.

queeq
I did... and it's a good point.

And that's what I'm saying: Lucas contradicts himself a lot, or doesn't do what he promises. So no wonder people don't take him that seriously anymore...

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Kazenji
How has Cameron lost his mind?

i can understand the other two from what they say over the years.

Cameron lost it with Avatar! then he flies up to the oil sands in Alberta cause they are bad for the environment.

Until you are living OFF the land with out any man made material and your travel by walking or horse. you can't say sh!t about a natural resouce that we need.

and as for speilberg, it was one of his comments on indy IV that sealed it for me that you can't tell that any time has passed by looking at Harrison Ford and comparing him in Raiders to now. he still looks the same!
LOL

Sith Master X
"He explained: 'On the internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I'm saying: "Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it." Sounds like Lucas has taken one too many trips to KMC. lol

And what did I tell everyone a while back about Red Tails? How predictable that the critics took the bait. However, the audience reaction has been positive. Probably because there's no original Red Tails movie made in 1977 to impossibly hold it against.

queeq
Well, it will be judged as a new movie, like any other. And prolly without takingb into account that Lucas and MacCallum produced it. It will at least be intersting for the way of producing it, shooting stuff on DSLR's and stuff... it may revolutionize tehcnical film making as we know it. But I don't expect a film with a huge impact like Saving Private Ryan or Gladiator. It seems a bit too run of the mill to me: poor people with few opportunities in life (in this case black people) get a chance to fly, they don't get any good missions (discrimination), and when they do, they get in big trouble but will overcome in the end).

But of course, the fate of black film makers will be totally determined by the success of this film... or so Lucas says. *rolls eyes*

On IMDB it's getting a meager 5.6...

Sadako of Girth
Originally posted by Sith Master X
Probably because there's no original Red Tails movie made in 1977 to impossibly hold it against.

The prequel trilogy wasn't gonna be competing against ANH/ESB/ROTJ.
All he had to do was compliment his originals.. not f*** the story up.

He failed horrifically, BTW.

queeq
Quite.

coolmovies
no more changes thats for sure i just wish he had used the same actor/actreses for all six films

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Sadako of Girth
The prequel trilogy wasn't gonna be competing against ANH/ESB/ROTJ.
All he had to do was compliment his originals.. not f*** the story up.

He failed horrifically, BTW.

this

steverules_2
Lets be realistic here, the PT focused more on CGI and things go boom than they did on everything else. I mean let me ask you why the hell Anakin was such a perveted sex offender in ep.2? Stroking Padme's arm and the way he was just felt like I was watching an episode of Crime Watch.

queeq
He made an early pass...

JediRobin23
Haha. Because of all you, he's done with movie making. perhaps, many are happy about it.

queeq
No... he's done with big budget movie making. He says, like he has been saying for quite a while now, he wants to make small, independent movies... Sounds like a good idea, I wanna see if tehre's anything left of the film maker he used to be. But somehow I wonder if he ca do it without state-of-the-art technology... because he loves that.

C-3POTheClever
What Movies? it's not like he's spielberg in directing a lot of movies. hes only done 6 i think. yes he has had his hand in alot of other things, like indiana jones, and others but i think 3 big name directors (lucas, spielberg & cameron) have lost their minds as the years go on.
I think Lucas has a wonderful imangination, that is why star was is so good, but when he just went to writing and producing and left episode 5 to irvin kershner we were given the best movie EVER!
He should leave star wars alone, and pass it off to someone IF in the future they want make 789. I do agree they are HIS movies but also he should aknowledge the fans! and give them both versions of the film. or atleast the original theatrical versions with the updated effects but not any of the new scenes or any of the altered sounds. There's something which so many people are forgetting! If you by the Limmited Edition, you have the original as well as the 2004 release so you can buy both. And anyway, a lot of the things he's added are just things that he would have added in the first place if hev had the tecnoligy. Yes; I admit a few things like Darth Vader shouting No & Greedo shooting first weren't nessesary, but it's not a big deal. You all only hate them so much because it's not what you've growen up with. Check out this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WL_frP2PzM&feature=channel_video_title it has some very good points.

queeq
There are two points about this issue:

1. Why doesn't George release the OOT restored on blu ray (like they did with Godfather, Alien, Blade Runner etc)? He can tinker aal he wants but why is he keeping the original from us. the cheap crappy version he gave us in 2004 is not really up to scratch, not even for DVD technology.

2. With things like Greedo shooting first and Vader saying no, the kiwi voice on Boba, he's not just altering the films we grew up with... he's altering the characters. And that has a more profound effect. Why are the original characters not good enough all of a sudden?
But again, if he allows us to BUY BUY BUY (again again again) the OOT on Blu Ray there would be no issue. I think the thing I hate most is that George wants to alter his own history and has Imperial power to do so. His character changed also from Luke to Vader.

C-3POTheClever
There are two points about this issue:

1. Why doesn't George release the OOT restored on blu ray (like they did with Godfather, Alien, Blade Runner etc)? He can tinker aal he wants but why is he keeping the original from us. the cheap crappy version he gave us in 2004 is not really up to scratch, not even for DVD technology.

2. With things like Greedo shooting first and Vader saying no, the kiwi voice on Boba, he's not just altering the films we grew up with... he's altering the characters. And that has a more profound effect. Why are the original characters not good enough all of a sudden?
But again, if he allows us to BUY BUY BUY (again again again) the OOT on Blu Ray there would be no issue. I think the thing I hate most is that George wants to alter his own history and has Imperial power to do so. His character changed also from Luke to Vader.
About the voice of Boba Fett, it was changed because he is a clone of Jango Fett, so he needed to have the same voice as Jango Fett. It's not that the newer version's better; it's just that he's a clone of Jango, is really exactly the same other than his name. Oh! That rimmed! I'm a poet & I didn't know it!

queeq
Well, he is not the same. OT Boba sounded like a vicious, cold bastard.... The one is just a kiwi you can meet in a bar.

And why do clones attain exactly the same accent? Boba has it at age 11, why does that mean he still has the same accent 23 years later? I know people who comefrom areas with a strng accent but that is often gone due to years being away from the roots. Why couldn't that be the cas with Boba?

C-3POTheClever
Well, he is not the same. OT Boba sounded like a vicious, cold bastard.... The one is just a kiwi you can meet in a bar.

And why do clones attain exactly the same accent? Boba has it at age 11, why does that mean he still has the same accent 23 years later? I know people who comefrom areas with a strng accent but that is often gone due to years being away from the roots. Why couldn't that be the cas with Boba?
That's a good point actually.

queeq
It is... it kinda shows Lucas's lack of vision lately. And he used to have so much... It's quote silly really...

S_D_J

I understand your points about the changes, but the accents? all in all they're just movies, the only reason he change the voice is to match the clones and Boba's clone heritage, nothing more. If it irks you it's just an annoying side effect but it is a totally sound change (though not necessary).

In a movie with a whole of impossible happenings much more debatable I find the fact that characters don't lose their accents over time to be something to be ignored. and if we do discuss accents, why not discussed why English is the only human language spoken... or why is Han able to understand Chewie's growls without a translator no expression

queeq
English goes for standard... Just like the Russians speaks English in Enemy at the Gates, the French musketeers speak English in The THree Muskteers. And many more examples...

Han clearly understands Chewie's language just like people here speak more than one language. Those are just stuff...

But CHANGING an accent does focus on hereditary accent and unchangeability.

Kazenji
Darth Vader will transform into a scorpion for one of Lucas's next changes for episode 4.

S_D_J
English goes for standard... Just like the Russians speaks English in Enemy at the Gates, the French musketeers speak English in The THree Muskteers. And many more examples...

Han clearly understands Chewie's language just like people here speak more than one language. Those are just stuff...

those are things you're comfortable with but the accent is not?

I'm at a loss here

It makes sense that English is spoken since it's a movie, just like it will be dub for other territories.

It doesn't make sense (in a realistic way, just like an accent would) that most human speak only one language through out the galaxy, that's just isn't feasible... but it's nitpicky nonetheless.

The reason why all clones, including Boba, all talk the same it's only to convey they are identical clones of the host in every way, just as simple as that, changing accents over time it's not necessary.

focus4chumps
thanks, but we are all well aware of george lucas' stated reason for changing the voice.

queeqs point is that the entire character of boba fett was altered by changing the voice, since his voice is all we have to identify with him as the man behind the mask and rocket pack.

what if lucas hired haden christensen to over-dub james earl jones. would that be no biggie as well? after all it makes more sense that JEJ's voice be trashcanned and redone for the sake of continuity.

S_D_J
queeq's point, the one I quoted, was the accent, not the change of voices. I never contest such change. I even said they weren't necessary

please read my posts again wink

focus4chumps
wait...why do i need to need your posts to get queeq's point? wacko

the point is he's not the same boba fett. just as another actor voicing darth vader in a completely different tone, accent, mood, etc would kinda suck.

queeq
I'll quote myself for a change.... just to point out I WAS talking about a change...

Clones all talk the same because they are raised at the same place and stuck together for all of their lives. There is no alternate reality than what they've had for 15 years or so.

Boba grew up for 23 years after losing Jango, in a total other world. And yet, 23 years later he sounds EXACTLY like his dad. Now, if this was done from the start it would be a little silly thing. The fact that they CHANGED it (the point I was stressing from the beginning) makes that stand out. I begin to wonder why Lucas changed it and then the answer comes quickly: Boba was Jango's clone... so he must SOUND exactly the same after 23 years... That very train of thought makes one wonder: does that make sense? And the answer is simple: no... it's quite simplistic to think that way... and that makes me wonder why no one told George.

And for me: yes, the character did change... see post before.

S_D_J
wait...why do i need to need your posts to get queeq's point? wacko

the point is he's not the same boba fett. just as another actor voicing darth vader in a completely different tone, accent, mood, etc would kinda suck.

I never quoted or disputed such point, read again.

I'll quote myself for a change.... just to point out I WAS talking about a change...

Clones all talk the same because they are raised at the same place and stuck together for all of their lives. There is no alternate reality than what they've had for 15 years or so.

Boba grew up for 23 years after losing Jango, in a total other world. And yet, 23 years later he sounds EXACTLY like his dad. Now, if this was done from the start it would be a little silly thing. The fact that they CHANGED it (the point I was stressing from the beginning) makes that stand out. I begin to wonder why Lucas changed it and then the answer comes quickly: Boba was Jango's clone... so he must SOUND exactly the same after 23 years... That very train of thought makes one wonder: does that make sense? And the answer is simple: no... it's quite simplistic to think that way... and that makes me wonder why no one told George.

I quoted you on your discomfort for the accent not changing. how it doesn't make sense. I agreed with you on the changes, but the accent is a different thing, a different point you brought up.

Once again you're saying it doesn't make sense, well again I say English being spoken primarily doesn't make sense, Han understand growls which sound all the same, all the time, doesn't make sense, planets with only one topography doesn't make sense, lightsabers don't make sense... and so on.

they only make sense if you understand if it is a movie in a fictional/fantasy setting. If so, having all clones speak the same makes sense when the idea behind it it's to make audiences understand they are all identical. Simple as that.
Yes, it doesn't make sense for it to have the same accent. But the route chosen is just the same as the Hollywood mentality that everything needs to be dumbed down and explained. It always been that way.

What if Temuera were to have change his accent?, it would still not sit right with anyone because it's a different actor. Am I wrong with that?

And before focus4chumps accuse me of playing devil's advocate, changing Bullock's lines sucks, especially compared to the lifeless delivery of Morrison's.

Kazenji

And also did'nt Jango also say he wanted an unaltered clone for himself.

darthmaul1

Don't the clones all sound like Morrison? But they shouldn't (with the accent at least) they only one that should sound like jango is boba cause he is living with him. But he would defiantly have to work on keeping his accent. Don't get me wrong I like bobas original voice in esb way better ( the line delivery was better) but accents come from your surroundings not your parents. I was 1 and my sister 6 when we immigrated to canada from Scotland. I never had an accent and she lost hers, but I'm sure if it was the other way around and we were to immigrate to Scotland we would develope accents.

roughrider
Well, they had a very successful opening weekend, for a 13 year old film that apparently no one likes. So this thread and all the snarky opinions here are full of bantha poodoo. stick out tongue

Food for thought:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/why-star-wars-prequels-better-original-trilogy-160300514.html

queeq
Weird review. The guy says the PT is better structured??? OMG, it it is not at all. Also, he doesn't give much proof for that, he just goes on saying the PT fits the time of now better than the OT? What kind of a review is that? It bears only a bit of relevance to how the movies are made, emotionally and structurally... the PT severely fails there.

roughrider
Here's an an opinion that's a bit different, with some good critical thought.

http://www.mania.com/mania-review-phantom-menace-3d_article_132147.html

queeq
Well, even this review I find strange. He lists the plus points of TPM: we see the Jedi in their prime, we see more planets in the universe, Maul is a good toy seller and Liam Neeson finds a way to make the wooden dialogue work. Not one serious comment about the story, the review mentions it but only lists TOPICS as its strong points. That's bizarre... movies aren't supposed to be encyclopedia's.

roughrider
I think his point that whatever flaws you find in the films method, they benefit just by being part of the overall Star wars narrative, slotting important story pieces in the pie. Our knowledge of the first three films helps cover over flaws in the PT. It is having it both ways I admit, as Lucas repeatedly said he wants people to be able to watch I-VI in that order without being tipped off, but we can see the foreshadowing and ironic moments when they happen (ie. Obi Wan in Episode II: "Why do I think you're going to be the death of me?" - and many others)

queeq
And even then, why does Lucas keep it a secret that Palpy is Sidious. We know from many filmmakers including the great Hitchcock that suspense works better if the viewer knows more than the protagonists? Making the link Palpy-Sidious known during TPM would have had a much more sinister effect on the ending... And making the other ironic foreshadowing quote "We will watch your career with great interest" also a lot stronger. And in fact, less foreshadowing, more revealing to Palpy's intentions.

The kinda forced way he tries to keep Palpy's identity secret also reveals a knowledge of the OT.

General G
And even then, why does Lucas keep it a secret that Palpy is Sidious. We know from many filmmakers including the great Hitchcock that suspense works better if the viewer knows more than the protagonists? Making the link Palpy-Sidious known during TPM would have had a much more sinister effect on the ending... And making the other ironic foreshadowing quote "We will watch your career with great interest" also a lot stronger. And in fact, less foreshadowing, more revealing to Palpy's intentions.

The kinda forced way he tries to keep Palpy's identity secret also reveals a knowledge of the OT.

I'm unsure whether Lucas could ever please you, queeq. Yes, Lucas didn't make the best of a trilogy with the PT, but I don't think there's anything good about them for you. This quote, for example. If they had let known the Palpy-Sids connection in TPM, then I could see you complaining that they let out one of the biggest reveals in the PT.

I disagree with you here, personally. The fact that they kept this connection from the viewer enhanced the tension. Everything we see seems to be all in good faith. There are a few sinister camera angles (see TPM when Yoda and Mace talk about there being two Sith at any given time and the camera pans over to Palpy) that may make the viewer wonder of his true intentions, but leaving the reveal until RotS was a smart move, in my opinion. It makes the viewer want to re-watch the first two movies to scrutinise Palpy's actions and finding out the true nature behind them and seeing that they really were pretty sinister.

That's one of my favourite parts about re-watching the PT is to try and find something new about Palpy's actions and how they flow together and better understanding his manipulations.

focus4chumps
lol cmon, it was #4 on the box office for opening weekend at $22.5M.

WOW MAN!!! LUCAS IS BACK!!!!

Sith Master X
Such a negative nancy this place is. Reminds me why I don't come by here as often anymore.

I like the guy on the first page who said the PT wasn't going to compete with the OT. You're right. You negatvie Nelly's made it a competition and don't leave it alone...ever.

You spend years and years on a page griping about something you all hate, and you won't leave it alone. So much time spent on something you all hate.

BTW: How did LUCAS f up the originals with the PT? Cause he did things you guys didn't like or didn't agree with? Well...that's tough.

They're just movies...and the PT is far better than a lot of movies out there. Your notion is that they suck when compared against the OT. How do they compare against movies like Batman & Robin and Battlefield Earth? If you all think the PT are bad films, then you certainly haven't watched enough films in your lives. Every single gripe about the PT has something to do with comparing them to the originals. It's so fricken tiring.

Nothing really goes on here anymore except for complaining about crap. It's not fun. It's a real shame when I think back to the good old days here and how awesome it used to be. Nothing left of that now except negativeness. It's been fun, or was fun, but no thanks anymore.

Enjoy spending the rest of your lives here crying about it. I'm moving on.

Later, and thanks for the memories. (the old ones at least.)

Sadako of Girth
I agree with most of that these days.
I might not like all SW stuff, but the movies still remain king for me.
Some of us have been vocal on our surprise/disatisfactions but like you say they still, on the whole, beat the piss out of other movies/sagas.

But I still will wait for the OT in 3d before I go see em. smile

queeq
That will be a treat indeed.

And I am not one of those guys that says the PT ruined the OT. In fact... the PT made the OT look better than ever. wink

focus4chumps
partially agreed with queeq. not sure about it making the OT look better, but no the PT did not ruin the OT. george lucas did.

on a semi-related note, i am equally a hardcore godfather 1&2 fan while i feel that 3 was a steaming pile. of course this has never hampered my enjoyment of 1&2 since copola didnt edit them to 'improve' them. i make the decision to not watch the 3rd and all is well. but that doesnt seem to work for star wars...

all many fans ask for is to have the originals on bluray unaltered. give us that and lucas can go on to make eps 7, 8 , 9, where ewoks and gungans become the new jedi order and do slapstic for hours complete with juggling, falling over stuff, and stepping in poop. my blessings. i wouldnt care since i wouldnt watch it.

also i love how certain people accuse others of 'crying' and being 'fanboys' etc because they dont like someone's opinion. perhaps a lack of belittling condescension would be more effective?

queeq
Plus there is the issue of discussing the merits of a film, which include narrative structure, substance, characterisation, cinematography. And where the OT was ground breaking as movies as a whole, the PT was not.
And yes, I expected the PT to raise the bar of making movies again a bit (like LOTR did, like Avatar did). Is that too much to ask? Of more editions of the franchise that changed film history and the same film makers are at it? Maybe? But why would it be too much to ask?

Sith Master X
I've had a night to reflect on what I wrote and in the event of not going out of here on a sour note, there's a few things I want to clarify and address in a more respectful manner since you all deserve as much. Then you can write back whatever you want and get the last word in, because I won't be clicking back on these forums.

This upcoming April will have made 8 years since I joined KMC. Some of you have been around longer than I have. I met a lot of great people here and there was a time when I loved this place, and always will be happy I found you guys here.

The problem is that these forums (or the PT section in particular) is running on fumes now...and these fumes are toxic for the most part. It's nothing but negativity. I understand you're all entitled to an opinion and that's great. I just fail to see how if you all hate something so much you spend year after year not letting it go. That leads me to believe that either some of you are in denial and as much as you like to say you hate it, a part of you actually likes it...or 2.) you just don't know how to move on. Again, AOTC is almost a decade old, and TPM is almost 13 years old, and still, for something you all hate so much, you keep talking about it. That's gotta be some kind of a record. A director that can keep people b*tching for 13 years...why not just move on if you didn't like it?

You see places like this are exactly the problem when it comes to these films. You spend too much time here picking apart every single detail of the movie, looking for all the flaws instead of pointing out all the major pluses. There were plenty of them, and if you can't admit to it, you're all too hung up in anti-Lucas land.

I've done plenty of digging around these forums, and it's funny to read some of the post on the AOTC release night as well as ROTS one and compare them to the type of things you say today. In fact one of you acknowledged AOTC as much better than TPM and specifically said "The plot is very good." Congrats, you are correct. The plot was good, or if at the very least, I think "entertaining" is an appropriate word. But the bottom line is that you actually gave Lucas some credit.

So what happened then? It's exactly what I've been saying all along. People spend too much time on a forum, and then constantly constantly constantly look for all the shortcomings...and once they find 1 or 2, they go out of their way to find 3 and 4, and so on and so forth until 1 year becomes 2 years...5 years etc of picking apart everything you didn't like to the point where you can no longer enjoy a 2 hour piece of entertainment. Sure, there was plenty of suckage and things that could have been better. Sure..there were plenty of things done "well" however and if you all would just suspend your beliefs for just a moment and try to remember it's just a movie...then, as a movie, it's not the terror you all make it out to be. Not even close. Honestly, I don't blame Lucas for walking away from this crap too. The guy could wake up tomorrow pissing diamonds and you guys would spend 13 years analyzing how the diamonds are too small...the color is off...it's not sharp enough...he's made enough diamonds that he should give every person in the country at least one...etc etc etc

I hope you're catching my drift. It gets old really fast. What I've pretty much come to the conclusion is that this place just isn't going anywhere anymore. I enjoyed the PT for what they were. I suspended my beliefs and brought out the inner-child in me, and I liked them. I cannot stand the excessive complaining about it anymore. If you guys have nothing better to do with your lives except to bash Lucas until the end of time, have fun. But I don't want to listen to it anymore. And yes I've seen the Red Letter Media reviews of the movies and they are hilarious...however, my point exactly, when you have that much free time on your hands to take absolutely every single part of the movie out of context and blow it far and wide to the end of the earth, then you lack having any type of coherent life whatsoever.

Granted that it all sounds a bit harsh, I have nothing against some of you guys personally, especially Queeq and PVS who are entitled to their opinions, but just understand my point of view, I've run out of steam coming here reading this same stuff over and over and over again. It's time to move on. There old days were fun...but for some reason we can't seem to have that anymore except constant negativeness.

On that note, I'm closing this 8 year chapter here on KMC. It WAS fun and I'm happy to have found you guys and to have shared a lot of great discussions. It's just one of those deals which I've said time and time again, I don't have the steam for it anymore and it's so damn annoying with all the LUCAS bashing. We can't go one thread without beating a dead horse into the ground and reminding the world how Georgie boy ruined everyone's lives.

Hopefully you guys have fun from here on out. You won't have to listen to me being positive about the films anymore. lol Thanks for all your friendships, even though we don't always agree and most often don't, I won't forget all the great times we had here. Again, I'm happy to have found you guys and wish you all the very best.

JP...even though you're rarely on here anymore, and we don't get to talk as often...all I can say is, thanks. Thanks for everything. Thanks for being the first friend I made here, thanks for all those awesome old time chats, thanks for all the fun we had roleplaying, all the great hyperspace hacking (lol) and just in general, thanks for all the wonderful memories. You are the best part of KMC I am leaving behind and the very best SW buddy I made here and really wish I didn't have to say goodbye. In my best Obi-Wan voice, "You were a good friend." I won't ever forget ya.

Thanks for everything guys and for all the good years. After 7546 post, I conclude my contributions to these forums, as I've said, it's just time for me to move on.

Please forgive me for being so harsh on the post before. It's not the way I wanted to end 8 years here. I feel this one however, is a tad bit more appropriate.

Goodbye friends.

*drops lightsaber to the ground and takes off Sith robe gazing upon the dual susnset. Turns around to wave at all his friends.*

"May the the force be with you guys...always."

-SMX-

queeq
Wow... that was a sudden turn of events. Too bad, SMX. And too bad you feel this way. I kinda get where you're coming from. But it's not just fumes, I must disagree. SW keeps coming out (on blu Ray, now 3D)... so it's kinda contemporary, it's not just something that came out 13 years ago... I came out last week, again. And sometimes you change your mind about things you are close to, and sometimes you are confronted again with its short comings.

But in the end, it is just a movie. There's no personal harm in criticing a movie. It has no life, no feelings... but hey, if you feel this place is no fun anymore, I am sorry to hear that.

But err... you can take the lightsabre with you. It's complimentary. wink

focus4chumps
in more recent news, george lucas continues trolling his fanbase.

we were all actually just confused. greedo shot first...outside the frame. with a silenced blaster firing invisible lasers and zero smoke. wow im glad he cleared that up.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/popcandy/post/2012/02/george-lucas-greedo-is-the-one-who-shot-first/1#.Tz7_Jsq1l4t

queeq
Well... some people get offended when we comment Lucas, but this is one of those typical things. Why doesn't he just say: I don't think it fits Solo's character, I know I did it in 1977 this way, now I do it this way. Then we can all diagree, ask for the OOt on Blu Ray and be done with it. But no... now he suddenly always intended Solo to shoot first.

If there is a gripe I have with Lucas is his silly need to change history, while we can all read and watch that a lot of what he says now isn't exactly true.

focus4chumps
but greedo had a blaster pointed at his chest and clearly intended to blow him away, which he was also looking forward to btw. it was self defense and a completely justifiable homicide...or...amphibiacide?

is that the new standard of movie heroism? "sure he has me locked in at point blank range and says he's going to kill me now, but maybe he's just kidding. i'll wait till he fires and misses like a jackass, hopefully"

the cold-blooded aspect was there as han casually walks away and apologises to the bartended for the mess as if he simply spilled his beer. so maybe george lucas needs to edit it once again so we can see tears of deep sorry streaming down han's face.

astarisborn94
...all I really want George Lucas to do is to release the originals (or at least release the VHS ones (1982-1995 ones) on Blu-Ray).

It's too bad that he seems so stingy to do so. I personally will not watch the Special Editions since I prefer to watch movies in their original format as close as possible.

queeq
but greedo had a blaster pointed at his chest and clearly intended to blow him away, which he was also looking forward to btw. it was self defense and a completely justifiable homicide...or...amphibiacide?

is that the new standard of movie heroism? "sure he has me locked in at point blank range and says he's going to kill me now, but maybe he's just kidding. i'll wait till he fires and misses like a jackass, hopefully"

the cold-blooded aspect was there as han casually walks away and apologises to the bartended for the mess as if he simply spilled his beer. so maybe george lucas needs to edit it once again so we can see tears of deep sorry streaming down han's face.

laughing out loud

Well, yes, I agree... Greedo would either take him to Jabba or kill him. His end would not be nice. So what does the pirate do? He kills the guy that is about to bring him to an end.

Apart from changing Solo's character, it's even sillier now. Solo shoots a guy who can't even shoot straight in less than a meter... What danger does Greedo pose if he can't even kill him from that distance? Now THAT makes Solo a cold hearted killer: killing someone who doesn't even pose a threat to him...

There can only be one conclusion: the scene is screwed now.

focus4chumps
i always had the impression that once han says 'over my dead body', greedo was going to kill him right there.

queeq
Well, we certainly wasn't going to invite Solo for a romantic dinner.

focus4chumps
no, thats planned for the re-re-re-re-re-re-release of the special edition in 2015.

queeq
laughing out loud

General G
I both agree and disagree with a lot of what SMX said as I think there are still many discussions over both the PT and the OT that have not been had yet. I may not post in the Star Wars section very often, anymore, but I certainly do still frequent them and see what is going on.

As for the Greedo scene comments...I am just shaking my head...I think Lucas really does need to have a profile here. He should then submit some of his ideas for changes and people on here would tell him whether it's a good idea or not and why. For example...whoever had said that Greedo wasn't a danger because he couldn't shoot straight from such a short distance. That's so true. It now makes no sense. Greedo was supposed to mean something as a bounty hunter and had a reputation and he was confronting HAN SOLO. That's a fail. That's a Lucas-making-his-characters-worse fail.

queeq
It makes Solo worse as well as Greedo. It does feel this change has not been thought through.

General G
It certainly does make both characters worse, which really is a shame. It makes much more sense to have Solo shoot first - it would explain why Greedo's shot went wide.

queeq
But in the original he never shot, he never got the chance. That was so awesome and made the scene memorable.

darthmaul1
He has lost it, he keeps making these changes and tweeks, when there are other things he should be fixing. Some of the tweeks i don't mind like some ships and things, but to add rocks infront of R2 and make Jabbas door bigger, or changing the voice of boba's makes no sense. instead of doing that why doesn't he redo the super star destroyer hitting the death star II? or more importantly better light saber effects and standard colors?

DARTH POWER
^ Agghhh I hate Boba's new voice! He only had a few lines, but Jeremy Bullock made those lines bad ass.. It sounded like a guy you wouldn't mess with.. Now he just sounds like a normal frigging guy in that suit!!

General G
I personally prefer it if they both had shot, but Han had shot first, thus making Greedo's shot go wide. This would just give further credence to what I was talking about earlier in regards to Greedo being fairly well known and having a reputation, he should have at least shot, even if it was a split second after Han.

queeq
Yeah, well... as long as Han goes for the kill first, saving his own skin before someone else can take it away.

General G
Yes, really as long as Han shoots first, I'd be happy.

darthmaul1
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
^ Agghhh I hate Boba's new voice! He only had a few lines, but Jeremy Bullock made those lines bad ass.. It sounded like a guy you wouldn't mess with.. Now he just sounds like a normal frigging guy in that suit!!

Didn't someone else do the voice in ESB? i thought it was Jason Wingreen not Jeremy Bullock?
he was just in the suit.

I don't think it would of been so bad if temu morrison (spelling) did the voice with the same tone.
Especially that line "what if he doesn't survive he's worth alot to me"
when temu says it it's like he's just asking a question "ummm mr vader sir" like he's afraid of vader.

but when Jason Wingreen says it, it's more menacing and not fearful of vader and that he'll be pissed at vader, like he's saying " hey numb nuts if he dies i'm going to kill you"

Omega Vision
Lucas has a point. If it's his creation he does have a stronger say in what's done to it than the consumer/fans.

I'm biased though.

DARTH POWER
Didn't someone else do the voice in ESB? i thought it was Jason Wingreen not Jeremy Bullock?
he was just in the suit.

Oh right. Might have been.

Especially that line "what if he doesn't survive he's worth alot to me"
when temu says it it's like he's just asking a question "ummm mr vader sir" like he's afraid of vader.

but when Jason Wingreen says it, it's more menacing and not fearful of vader and that he'll be pissed at vader, like he's saying " hey numb nuts if he dies i'm going to kill you"

Yeah exactly.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Lucas has a point. If it's his creation he does have a stronger say in what's done to it than the consumer/fans.

I'm biased though.

If it was just CGI additions that would be one thing, but some scenes/acting he's completely changed (like Han shooting first or second and Boba's damn new voice!).

Thing is it was fans loving those original versions which made him as rich as he is today. So I agree with Queeq that he should at least respect those fans wishes enough to have the Original versions available in any/all new formats.

But at the same time Im no Lucas hater myself. I enjoyed the Prequels and when compared to sequels/prequels of other great sci-fi/fantasy franchises (Terminator for example) I think he's actually done a pretty decent job.

focus4chumps
i think legally yes, an artist has the right to vandalize their own work so long as they still own it.

but to try to ethically justify it is ridiculous imho.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by roughrider
Well, they had a very successful opening weekend, for a 13 year old film that apparently no one likes. So this thread and all the snarky opinions here are full of bantha poodoo. stick out tongue

Food for thought:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/why-star-wars-prequels-better-original-trilogy-160300514.html

lol cmon, it was #4 on the box office for opening weekend at $22.5M.

oh and to follow up, ep1 made 9.9 million on the second weekend.
*que sad trombone*

DARTH POWER
oh and to follow up, ep1 made 9.9 million on the second weekend.
*que sad trombone*

Thats still pretty good imo.. You know this hasnt been marketed or hyped up that much. Some people see the trailer now and are like "hey thats out in cinema" kind of like when the animated movie was released.

And like roughrider said for a movie that apparently no one likes..

focus4chumps
nobody suggested that "nobody likes star wars". small children love jar jar and poopy jokes after all. also, if i was a parent i would rather sit through that than most crappy mind-numbing kid flicks.

queeq
Yes, that kinda true. Although the poop jokes work, I doubt kids are very interested in taxation of trade routes... wink

focus4chumps
Yes, that kinda true. Although the poop jokes work, I doubt kids are very interested in taxation of trade routes... wink

im sure it goes right over their heads and think of them as "those boring scenes"

and what kid flick is complete without saber duels leading to impalement and being sliced in half. wait.....wtf is wrong with george lucas?

DARTH POWER
^ Well it was family movie.. As in a movie for parents and kids to go enjoy. That's probably why it grossed so much back in '99.

queeq
im sure it goes right over their heads and think of them as "those boring scenes"

and what kid flick is complete without saber duels leading to impalement and being sliced in half. wait.....wtf is wrong with george lucas?

laughing out loud

focus4chumps
^ Well it was family movie.. As in a movie for parents and kids to go enjoy. That's probably why it grossed so much back in '99.

the OT were family movies as well, simply because parents and children alike enjoyed them...not as a result of being shoehorned into a genre with cheap tacky sideshow distractions (ewoks excluded).

focus4chumps
let me also just point out the the ep 4 special edition grossed over $138 million domestically in 1997.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars4se.htm

yup. 'special edition' that everyone hated. greedo shooting first, obnoxious cartoony in-your-face mos eisley scene, a midget pile of polygons that was supposed to pass as jabba the hutt, random unnecessary dewbacks, etc.

138 million vs the 50-60 million lucasfilm would be lucky to total in domestic ticket sales when all is done. AND with tickets nearly twice as expensive considering inflation + 3d theater markup.

point: it isnt doing well at all. adults have been turned off by the forced slapstick humor, lack of a clear protagonist and hero's journey...etc. even the kids are getting bored with it, and thats the problem with turning your back on your fanbase and pandering to small children exclusively. children are fickle and easily grow bored with straight-up kid flicks, especially when they get older.

queeq
Ah, we're all suckers for SW, we go and see it... you know how it is.

DARTH POWER
let me also just point out the the ep 4 special edition grossed over $138 million domestically in 1997.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars4se.htm

yup. 'special edition' that everyone hated. greedo shooting first, obnoxious cartoony in-your-face mos eisley scene, a midget pile of polygons that was supposed to pass as jabba the hutt, random unnecessary dewbacks, etc.

138 million vs the 50-60 million lucasfilm would be lucky to total in domestic ticket sales when all is done. AND with tickets nearly twice as expensive considering inflation + 3d theater markup.

point: it isnt doing well at all. adults have been turned off by the forced slapstick humor, lack of a clear protagonist and hero's journey...etc. even the kids are getting bored with it, and thats the problem with turning your back on your fanbase and pandering to small children exclusively. children are fickle and easily grow bored with straight-up kid flicks, especially when they get older.

Yeah you see I dnt know if you remember or not but I do, The SW special edition was hugely hyped back in 1997. Everyone knew it was out and it was the first chance in almost 20 years to see the most epic sci-fi film ever on the big screen (the way it was meant to be seen).

TPM is nothing next to the Original SW. Im not gna pretend it is, but your point here proves nothing.

For a movie that according to critics (and what is a common joke) is supposed to be one of the worst movies ever made to have already made 80million for a 3d re-release 13 years down the line, with no where near the marketing SW special edition had, certainly says a lot.

It says people dnt hate that movie, and a lot of people actually like it.

queeq
As part of SW no doubt.

darthmaul1
I think even if it WASN'T in 3d it would still be generating the same numbers, and the same amount of people would be going to see it just because it's star wars and its on the big screen. Let's face it the 3D has little to nothing to do with people going to see it. We will have to see how the 3D bluray release does in terms of sales.

DARTH POWER
^ It would earn more if it was just on general release, as in 3d screens and regular screens.

It would earn A LOT more if it was properley marketed months before its release.

Just shows its just something Lucas is doing for the fans. Give them a chance to watch the movies in 3d.

focus4chumps
Yeah you see I dnt know if you remember or not but I do, The SW special edition was hugely hyped back in 1997. Everyone knew it was out and it was the first chance in almost 20 years to see the most epic sci-fi film ever on the big screen (the way it was meant to be seen).

my point is it had the same stigma, if not more so.

TPM is nothing next to the Original SW. Im not gna pretend it is, but your point here proves nothing.

thats your opinion. however on TPM millions of small children enjoyed that while finding the OT kinda boring. i know 'wtf' right? but thats how it was. i was pointing this out to illustrate the stay power of NOT pandering exclusively to that age group. they get older and lose interest in farts and poopoo slapstick, while even a broken and despised version of ep4 managed to triple its domestic box office earnings at almost half the ticket cost.

For a movie that according to critics (and what is a common joke) is supposed to be one of the worst movies ever made to have already made 80million for a 3d re-release 13 years down the line, with no where near the marketing SW special edition had, certainly says a lot.

no, it made just over 30 mil. not 80. i projected 60 mil future domestic total and i was being very generous.

It says people dnt hate that movie, and a lot of people actually like it.

im not sure how that proves anything
some people liked battlefield earth too. does that make it worthy to consider as a cinematic triumph?

^ It would earn more if it was just on general release, as in 3d screens and regular screens.

It would earn A LOT more if it was properley marketed months before its release.

Just shows its just something Lucas is doing for the fans. Give them a chance to watch the movies in 3d.

sorry but thats blind and baseless speculation.

DARTH POWER
my point is it had the same stigma, if not more so.

No. Not at all.

thats your opinion. however on TPM millions of small children enjoyed that while finding the OT kinda boring. i know 'wtf' right? but thats how it was. i was pointing this out to illustrate the stay power of NOT pandering exclusively to that age group. they get older and lose interest in farts and poopoo slapstick, while even a broken and despised version of ep4 managed to triple its domestic box office earnings at almost half the ticket cost.

What you're forgetting was there were whole generations who remembered and loved the Original Star Wars. Doesnt really matter that kids in 1999 found TPM more entertaining than the OT. Im sure they found Finding Nemo more entertaining than the OT as well. So what?

As for half the ticket price, it was released on all screens though, not just special 3d screens.

You also seem to be ignoring how incredibly well TPM did back in 1999 with those SAME ticket prices as the SW special edition.

no, it made just over 30 mil. not 80. i projected 60 mil future domestic total and i was being very generous.

Its made 80 worldwide. TPM was on a worldwide gross of approx 920 million before the 3d re-release. Its now passed the Billion mark. Do the math.

im not sure how that proves anything
some people liked battlefield earth too. does that make it worthy to consider as a cinematic triumph?

Lol Iv never met anyone who went on about how awsome Battlefield Earth is, but I do remember back in '99 despite all the negative reviews many many people left the cinema saying "that was awsome" after watching The Phantom Menace.

And comparing Battlefield Earth to a movie that became the second highest grossing movie of all time back in '99 is frankly meaningless.

sorry but thats blind and baseless speculation.

Yeah because Marketing does nothing right??

So TPM teaser trailer 9 months before its release did nothing to help boost its revenue back in '99?

So a new Star Wars film could just be released without any marketing whatsoever and expect to become the highest grossing film of all time right?

Stop being crazy, and accept there are plenty of people who love the Prequels including TPM. We dnt need a re-release as proof of that, just look at the DVD sales. For all the prequels they were sold out on the first day of release.

Why would such terrible movies sell out? Was Battlefield Earth ever sold out on dvd??

Im afraid you're hatred of Lucas and all SW movies after ROTJ(assuming you even enjoyed that one) has made you the blind one, not me.

queeq
It's not always a HATRED thing... that seems to be the new mantra against critical SW fans, these days.

focus4chumps
switching figures from domestic to worldwide and adding original box office gross is just toying with figures to support your non-case.

then you come up with the baseless statement that there wasnt enough marketing. pure puffery. i could go on about the hundreds of tv spots and product commercials with SW characters in cross-marketing promotions, but that would be anectdotal hogwash of my own.

i dont hate lucas. the OT came from that beautiful brain of his. however im deeply disappointed in his questionable and sometimes downright idiotic decisions in the 90's and beyond, especially his decision to alter and desecrate a vintage piece of american art and his most beloved creation. maybe you just cant handle debating a topic without....

It's not always a HATRED thing... that seems to be the new mantra against critical SW fans, these days.

indeed

because ad hominem = insta-win

DARTH POWER

Well when he's just out to prove TPM disappointing box office performance when non-exists, the you cant tell me he's not making a biased crticism.

DARTH POWER
switching figures from domestic to worldwide and adding original box office gross is just toying with figures to support your non-case.

80 million just for showing a 13 year old movie in 3d is not exactly bad. If it was such an appauling movie, then why's anyone bothered to watch it.

And you keep ignoring TPM box office earnings back in '99 and how hugely successful it was, how much the movie made in merchandise, and how the VHS and DVD sales were excellent.

Basically you've got no point.

then you come up with the baseless statement that there wasnt enough marketing. pure puffery. i could go on about the hundreds of tv spots and product commercials with SW characters in cross-marketing promotions, but that would be anectdotal hogwash of my own.

Lol @ baseless.

If the special edition had as much marketing as TPM3D and and was only shown in a certain format, then you could make a comparison.

And you keep comparing to the Original Star Wars. The most epic fantasy film of all time. And saying because it doesnt compare to that its a flop??

If you cant see what a stupid comparison this is of yours then I cant help you. Its just a stupid debate.

queeq
It is.

S_D_J
oops wrong thread

btw: TPM rocks

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-pAqud8MmaxU/TzRSeIfAsqI/AAAAAAAAEWs/_67PDli3M_Y/s1600/22.jpg

queeq
laughing out loud

focus4chumps
you keep jumping to arbitrary points while i bring up the simple truth of market stay power. thats what keeps the OT making money and the PT dwindling.

its absolutely true that TMP had an epic opening...but the reason for the later drop off is lost interest is film. simple as that. the current box office earnings are nothing more than a fizzle. you can grab for random issues which may affect sales. some people dont like wearing the glasses. the economy is rough. its not as old a film as the OT, etc. while these factors may affect sales by some percentage, collectively they are not the reason why few people are going to see it.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=starwars.htm

queeq
So they make money... we always knew that.

focus4chumps
and women be shoppin

DARTH POWER
Iv just watched it today, and honestly, theres no need to spend money and go watch this in the cinema because well the 3d isnt anything special.

Iv got the movie on dvd, and theres little to no changes. Yes Yoda and Jar Jar look better. Thats great. But not worth me spending money to watch the film I have at home.

There was a reason to go watch the OT special edition back in 1997. "If you've never seen Star Wars on the Big screen, then you've never seen it at all."

That reason just doesnt exist anymore. Most of us have mini-cinemas at home nowadays with our 50" surround sound plasma screens.

And of course love it or hate it we all know TPM will never be as epic as the Original Star Wars.

But I still love the Star Wars prequels and Im not the only one who does. Not as epic or as successful as the Originals but then how many prequel/sequels are.

queeq
Wait for the 3D versions of the OT then, I guess?

focus4chumps
are they still working on 3D retro-conversions after all this recent news? just curious.

HyperStream
are they still working on 3D retro-conversions after all this recent news? just curious.

Yep Fox still plans on releasing the OT next year.

focus4chumps
you mean ep4 or all of them?

HyperStream
you mean ep4 or all of them?

Fox still owns all of the distribution rights to the OT and PT, we're definitely getting ROTS and AOTC next year in 3d. The 3d conversions have been known to be happening for awhile, and it would be insane for FOX to not profit off the current hype surrounding XII by releasing the OT leading up to the release of XII. Considering that this has been the plan for awhile and that XII is a direct sequel to the OT, FOX would have to have their heads way up their asses to not see the profitability there.

focus4chumps
right but you said OT next year, not PT. thats why i asked.
not that im into retro-fit 3d, but even by their standards it seems
like jesus walking on water to finish both trilogies by next year.

HyperStream
Oh and sorry I didn't mean they are releasing the OT next year, I meant the year after. This is logic-based speculation though

dadudemon
Originally posted by HyperStream
Oh and sorry I didn't mean they are releasing the OT next year, I meant the year after. This is logic-based speculation though

I knew what you meant.

focus4chumps
Originally posted by dadudemon
I knew what you meant.

no, you guessed what he meant.

HyperStream
Also, I've been getting into the terrible habit of accidentally writing XII instead of VII!! I think it's because I'm also just as excited for the Star Wars X trilogy as I am for the current one.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by HyperStream
I'm also just as excited for the Star Wars XXX trilogy Mmm hmm, aww yeah!

focus4chumps
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
Mmm hmm, aww yeah!

saw it; it was ok.

roughrider
Next year, they are releasing 3D versions of both Ep. II & III a month apart - September & October 2013. They've moved up the timeline from the original idea of one movie a year. I have no idea if the recent sale complicates the schedule.

queeq
Hmm... maybe 3D is going in decline as well.

focus4chumps
well...retro-fit 3d is abysmal imho.

HyperStream
saw it; it was ok.

The 3D version?

focus4chumps
there was 3d version of xxx starwars? i dont know if i'd even want to see that.

Kazenji
Feel that jizz hit your face.

HyperStream
Originally posted by Kazenji
Feel that jizz hit your face.

droolio

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.