Was there one book that turned you on to comics?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

leonidas
i was originally turned on to comics by a superman encyclopedia i had in kindergarten! best book ever. it explained all the different types of k-nite (even GOLD k-nite) that existed and had pretty much EVERYTHING in it. i always had a few comics hanging around but my buddy in grade 4 used to have these avengers books and it was the original nefaria arc that REALLY turned me on to comics for good..... what about you?

Galan007
What originally turned me on to comics was the old Marvel trading cards from the early 90's--the ones that had character pics on the front and bios/power stats on the back (not sure how many people will remember those.)

As for an actual book, I'd say Kingdom Come did it for me. After reading that GN, I was hooked.

JakeTheBank
For me, it was the various superhero cartoons that got me hooked on the characters: Batman TAS, Spider-Man TAS, X-Men, etc. I wound up getting a Spider-Man kid's book that had a a brief description of some of his bad guys and a Batman activity book filled with coloring, mazes, puzzles, etc. Those led me to a comic book store in the mall where I bought my first comics: Amazing Spider-Man (it was an Electro arc) and Batman (with Scarface). Eventually, in a bargain bin, I came across my single favorite comic ever: Thor #364 aka Frog of Thunder!

After that, I was since doomed to the life of being a comic book nerd.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Galan007
What originally turned me on to comics was the old Marvel trading cards from the early 90's--the ones that had character pics on the front and bios/power stats on the back (not sure how many people will remember those.) I remember those. My cousin had the those trading cards, and they ended up in my possession. I still have them in my garage. I used to look at those things for hours.

I used to watch Spider-Man, X-Men, Batman and Silver Surfer whenever they aired as a kid. And played the games, and had a whole bunch of X-Men toys.

And the first books I read was an old Ghost Rider book, and a book with Spider-Man 2099.

TBH, I didn't start heavily reading comics until I came here, but I've always loved comic related stuff. The book I read that made me do that would have likely been a Thanos book, as for which one, not sure.

Galan007
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
I remember those. My cousin had the those trading cards, and they ended up in my possession. I still have them in my garage. I used to look at those things for hours. Same here. thumb up

BruceSkywalker
for me i was 4 years old in the hospital with a broken leg and i read my very first batman comic.. been reading ever since

Kazenji
It was Sonic The Hedgehog for me.

Entity
My mom had two older brothers that had both left allot of comics at the house when they moved out and she decided to keep them. Tons of original Fantastic 4 and superman's girlfriend lois lane among others. My grandfather got me a batman comic when I was really young but what really got me hooked was when I started watching Spiderman and The X-Men after school everyday then combined with reading all the stash they'd accumulated and just wanting more. Soon as I got a job keeping books for ball games and working the score board at the little league park and pretty much spent every cent I earned at a comic store that was in town back then. Once over 300 in a single trip when I was still only 12. Lol

Philosophía
The Killing Joke.

Digi
Like many, it was the Spider-Man and X-Men cartoon shows in the 90's. Then one day I did a google image search for Spider-Man and got one of him fighting Juggernaut. I was stunned and excited, and "Spider-Man vs. Juggernaut" search brought me to KMC. The rest is geek history.

The first 50-60 comics I owned were ASM or random X-Men comics though. Fortunately I dropped the muties, but stuck with Spidey.

srankmissingnin
My dad was a collector of memorabilia and he used to give me and my brothers his doubles for trading cards when he was building sets and I can still remember the awe when I first saw those Marvel Masterpiece cards in 92 when I was six. We collected dozens of comic sets before that but when I saw all the characters rendered in those realistic oil painting esc portraits like they were real people... well... that was it and I was forever a comic fan.

I think X-Men TAS came around the same time for a perfectly executed 1 2 punch just to cement everything.

srankmissingnin
That's certainly a possibility, but luckily for him got close to a million when he sold off his sports memorabilia in '03, so he has plenty of time to improve his allegedly poor love making skills during his early retirement while you pump gas somewhere. cool

blackwatercob
no, i'll stick with the theory of your mom having too much gunk in her cooch laughing

RE: Blaxican
What got me actually reading comics was Civil War. The event had already ended, but my brother in law sent me a torrent that had like every major civil war comic scanned in it. I read that and loved it.

But before that, I'd always been a Spiderman and Hulk fan.

Juntai
Originally posted by Galan007

As for an actual book, I'd say Kingdom Come did it for me. After reading that GN, I was hooked. This, I always had some comics, this made me take it serious.

Mr Master
I was a kid doing time in a semi-military academy,
I bought a small plastic back Superman vs Vandal Savage book.

Wonder Woman, Aquaman and Flash helped him.

I still have it and I'm trying to find it to get the name.

abhilegend
Superman:secret identity.

psycho gundam
growing up in the 90's

Prep-Man

Cogito
Forever People #1.

No, I'm not that old, but I did read it probably in the early 90s. Wonder where that went...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.