Mega Upload

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Symmetric Chaos
So the US government (in coordination with police in a few other countries) just took down Megaupload, shutting down the site seems to be more of a seizure of assets issue than anything else. The assertion is that Megaupload knowingly profited form copyrighted materials illegally stored on its servers and was evasive about removing the material.

Anti-megaupload:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/01/why-the-feds-smashed-megaupload.ars

Sort of neutral "just the facts":
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/20/us-megaupload-piracy-idUSTRE80J08420120120

Pro-megaupload (if someone has a better pro-argument please post it):
http://www.geek.com/articles/news/megaupload-and-its-founder-taken-down-by-the-feds-20120119/

In lighter news the term "Mega Conspiracy" is now a thing.

BackFire
Anonymous apparently also shut down many websites as a counter attack to the government's actions here.

Jaeh
*sighs* i actually kept a couple of files there. It's a good thing they're saved on some HD here, too..

inimalist
****, I actually used MU for non-piracy related stuff...

focus4chumps
i feel safe now

AsbestosFlaygon
o0Wvn-9BXVc
It's quite ironic how the artists themselves support MegaUpload, and the corporate giants whom they work for don't.

Anyways, most of the sites hacked by Anonymous 2 days ago are now up and running.

If they continue this 'retaliation', their efforts will be futile.
Just like how they failed against the Mexican Drug Cartel.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
It's quite ironic how the artists themselves support MegaUpload, and the corporate giants whom they work for don't.

I note that they all like it for practical reasons not because they're supportive of people hosting copyrighted materials there against the will of the owners.

Liberator
How much money is too much money for the entertainment industry? Apparently they still aren't racking in enough dollars...

inimalist
Just like how they failed against the Mexican Drug Cartel.

how did they fail?

Robtard
The US government should focus harder on it's 'war-on-terror' instead on some internet piracy sites.

If they dare touch extratorrent, I'm bombing something.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
The US government should focus harder on it's 'war-on-terror' instead on some internet piracy sites.

Don't you realize that internet piracy sites are part of the 'war-on-terror'.

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Don't you realize that internet piracy sites are part of the 'war-on-terror'.

Sorry; my stupid-brain can't connect the dots. Maybe you could do a yellow-cake uranium to Al Qaeda to Saddam type of link for me?

Shakyamunison
Sorry; my stupid-brain can't connect the dots. Maybe you could do a yellow-cake uranium to Al Qaeda to Saddam type of link for me?

"my stupid-brain" laughing

Now that Obama can kill US citizens without a trial, he should be able to shut down web sites that are a threat to the US. They should be thankful there wasn't a drone over head.

You can't tell if I am being sarcastic or not.

Colossus-Big C
if they shut down google then **** the government.

StyleTime
Looks like the founder and some employees were arrested.

http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/20/10199528-megaupload-founders-homes-raided-5m-in-luxury-cars-seized

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I note that they all like it for practical reasons not because they're supportive of people hosting copyrighted materials there against the will of the owners. i argee. smile

Astner
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
if they shut down google then **** the government.
Yeah, that's not how things work.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Colossus-Big C
if they shut down google then **** the government. If that's all your reaction would be--to say "f*ck the government"...

No wonder shit doesn't get done.

rudester
you mean to tell me that somewhere in the near future we wont be able to stream movies? tv shows because they have all been copyrighted?

rudester
alright who snitched, from now on people, keep your internet sites a secret." No telling anyone, and tell them to keep it a secret.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by inimalist
how did they fail?
OT: Anonymous abandons #OpCartel

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/02/anonymous-zetas-hacking-climbdown

Bardock42

Or they could not focus on either and make the world a better place.

JodiJeff
Does make me wonder how Youtube stays up like it does.

Bardock42
Originally posted by JodiJeff

Youtube tries actively to stop copyright infringement. And Google gives lots of lobbying money.

Symmetric Chaos

If you file a copyright complaint with YouTube they take down the content immediately, even if use is entirely legal. Convincing a court that they're not compliant would be very difficult.

The FBI is charging that MegaUpload did not remove content even when asked to and that they attempt to deceive copyright holders into thinking they had done so.

inimalist

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/nov/02/anonymous-zetas-hacking-climbdown

after forcing the Zeta cartel to release a hostage member of anonymous

I'm not saying they brought the cartel down or anything, but it sounds way more like a ceasefire than a loss

JodiJeff
Hmm, Keith Richards somehow gets high grade Merck pharmaceutical cocaine, and according to him is much better than say street cocaine; of course if we all snorted a few lines of coke a day, the alcohol industry would disappear overnight. Yet again, another plant defamation to keep beer, wine in spirts in business.

AsbestosFlaygon
after forcing the Zeta cartel to release a hostage member of anonymous

I'm not saying they brought the cartel down or anything, but it sounds way more like a ceasefire than a loss

http://flipthemedia.com/index.php/2011/12/why-blogging-and-social-networking-in-mexico-can-turn-deadly/

The operation was cancelled. Hence, they failed to stop the cartel.

Lord Lucien
Hmm, Keith Richards somehow gets high grade Merck pharmaceutical cocaine, and according to him is much better than say street cocaine; of course if we all snorted a few lines of coke a day, the alcohol industry would disappear overnight. Yet again, another plant defamation to keep beer, wine in spirts in business. I'll uh... I'll take a rum and Coke over a shot of nasal powder any day.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by rudester
alright who snitched, from now on people, keep your internet sites a secret." No telling anyone, and tell them to keep it a secret.
Yu got it! wink

Robtard

So Anonymous cowardly backed away at the first sign that the Mexican Cartel was going to murder their members via the light-a-fool-on-fire-while-they're-in-an-oil-barrel. Lame.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
Or they could not focus on either and make the world a better place.

Why do you want the terrorist to win? Is it because you hate America?

inimalist
http://flipthemedia.com/index.php/2011/12/why-blogging-and-social-networking-in-mexico-can-turn-deadly/

The operation was cancelled. Hence, they failed to stop the cartel.

except they succeeded in intimidating the cartel into releasing a member of Anonymous whom they had already taken hostage... Which would be a victory over the cartel...

inimalist
Hmm, Keith Richards somehow gets high grade Merck pharmaceutical cocaine, and according to him is much better than say street cocaine; of course if we all snorted a few lines of coke a day, the alcohol industry would disappear overnight. Yet again, another plant defamation to keep beer, wine in spirts in business.

cocaine doesn't cause nearly enough of an intoxicating high to outright replace alcohol...

dadudemon
cocaine doesn't cause nearly enough of an intoxicating high to outright replace alcohol...

That's not what I read.

I have not done cocaine but it is fairly universal in saying that cocaine provides a quicker stronger high than MJ or Alcohol.

You've used both so you'd actually know. So why are there tons of others disagreeing with you?

inimalist
Originally posted by dadudemon
That's not what I read.

I have not done cocaine but it is fairly universal in saying that cocaine provides a quicker stronger high than MJ or Alcohol.

You've used both so you'd actually know. So why are there tons of others disagreeing with you?

it is powerful, it doesn't really get you "high". Like, as someone who likes psychadellics, I often don't see the point of coke. Its not as euphoric as E, doesn't really have more in the way of energy either, doesn't get me high like pot or hallucinogens do and not as inebriating as something like K or alcohol. errr, I'm rambling...

like, you get energetic and a bit euphoric, but in terms of a psychoactive experience, you get more of an intoxication from booze than coke, especially dollar for dollar.

What I'm trying to say is it isn't like an information processing high, its like an "I'm so cool I'm going to dance and act crazy" high. Coke is like the "rock-star" drug, and a lot of its popularity comes from that and the fact that many "non-drug people" use it because they know it by name, etc. I've taken coke before playing a show with the band I'm in, and it was great for that. Made me energetic, made me confident, etc. It's not something I'd take in the same way I take acid or even pot, where I simply enjoy the way it changes my perception. In fact, coke has very little of that type of high.

I certainly don't think coke offers a high that would appeal to so many people that there would be no more alcohol sales...

Robtard
I heard chicks really like coke.

dadudemon
it is powerful, it doesn't really get you "high". Like, as someone who likes psychadellics, I often don't see the point of coke. Its not as euphoric as E, doesn't really have more in the way of energy either, doesn't get me high like pot or hallucinogens do and not as inebriating as something like K or alcohol. errr, I'm rambling...

You're not. You are like...the drug guru. You can't get this type of dialogue in good ol' Oklahoma.

like, you get energetic and a bit euphoric, but in terms of a psychoactive experience, you get more of an intoxication from booze than coke, especially dollar for dollar.

Probably. So why do those other people say it is a stronger high?

What I'm trying to say is it isn't like an information processing high, its like an "I'm so cool I'm going to dance and act crazy" high. Coke is like the "rock-star" drug, and a lot of its popularity comes from that and the fact that many "non-drug people" use it because they know it by name, etc. I've taken coke before playing a show with the band I'm in, and it was great for that. Made me energetic, made me confident, etc. It's not something I'd take in the same way I take acid or even pot, where I simply enjoy the way it changes my perception. In fact, coke has very little of that type of high.

I don't want to do "hard" drugs but you make me curious about these differences.

I certainly don't think coke offers a high that would appeal to so many people that there would be no more alcohol sales...

I agree, here. There is something very "socially ingrained (pun, b*tches...pun)" about alcohol in many cultures. It will be very difficult to get rid of alcohol and replace it with anything.

Mr. Rhythmic
I'm actually really mad about this one. It's SOPA without SOPA being passed, which is pretty much saying "**** it let's do it anyway." That means that the American government can do anything it wants, really, no consent needed.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Mr. Rhythmic
I'm actually really mad about this one. It's SOPA without SOPA being passed, which is pretty much saying "**** it let's do it anyway." That means that the American government can do anything it wants, really, no consent needed.

It's not SOPA at all. They spent years building a case, following due process of law.

I'm amazed how many people think the problem with SOPA was that it would have stopped pirates sites and not the part where it would given property holders nearly unrestricted ability to censor people.

Mr. Rhythmic
It's not SOPA at all. They spent years building a case, following due process of law.

I'm amazed how many people think the problem with SOPA was that it would have stopped pirates sites and not the part where it would given property holders nearly unrestricted ability to censor people.

You say "case," but funny how the case was fulfilled the moment SOPA arises. Hm...
And you're also putting words in my mouth, because censoring IS a problem, and I do consider this censorship.

Symmetric Chaos
You say "case," but funny how the case was fulfilled the moment SOPA arises. Hm...

That's a complete non sequitur.

And you're also putting words in my mouth, because censoring IS a problem, and I do consider this censorship.

Which is odd, because it isn't censorship. They're being shut down for violating IP law not for anything they said (unless you think the FBI's case is wholly fictitious in which case there's really no point in having a conversation).

Bardock42
Shouldn't they maybe have a trial first and then, if there's a conviction shut down the site?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Bardock42
Shouldn't they maybe have a trial first and then, if there's a conviction shut down the site?

It's an injunction. In this case the FBI and other agencies asked for an injunction (following due process of law) because they wanted to seize content and assets, probably in order to prevent evidence from being destroyed and profits hidden. The FBI spent years building the case specifically to get enough evidence for their injunction, this isn't a hammer suddenly falling and shutting them down like SOPA would allow.

The process is the same with other crimes.
Take murder as an example:
1) Accusation
2) Build a case
3) Get an arrest warrant
4) Arrest accused
5) Hold trial
6) Convict or release accused

The problem with SOPA was that it changed to process to this:
1) Accusation
2) Arrest accused

If Megavideo wins the court case they will get their stuff back (though to be honest law enforcement has a nasty record with that kind of thing) and will be able to sue UMG for considerable damages.

Worth mentioning that Megaupload has done the same thing. UMG was sending out DMCA notices to sites hosting Megaupload's latest ad and sites complied (unnecessarily). Megaupload responded by filing for an injunction to prevent UMG from continuing to send out the notices -- or, if we wish to use the rhetoric of the hour, they asked that their right to free speech be censored.

inimalist
there is precedence from drug laws that property of accused, though never convicted, drug dealers can be seized. the government may try to use something like that here, though I'm sure its not a exact application of the law.

Mr. Rhythmic
That's a complete non sequitur.

I call it a public execution.

RE: Blaxican
That's kind of weird. Why would you call it that?

Mr. Rhythmic
This is just my opinion, but I think that it's interesting how the government arrests Schmidtz for 50 years, shuts down his site, and effectively scares countless file sharing sites into either closing or stop file sharing at the peak of SOPA/PIPA awareness when they did not effectively go through. The government's been after Megaupload for years, but funny how NOW it all goes down, during the peak of SOPA awareness, and when SOPA/PIPA were stopped.

rudester
im sure it was all planned down to the last detail but shhh dont say anything. It is a billion dollar coverup, and I wonder where the money will go??

RyanEstabrooks
I still personally think it's a bit much to hold someone responsible if they simply host a service for others to use. Just like if I rented a house to someone and they murdered someone in it, I shouldn't be held responsible for their actions.

Now of course, I see the argument where people say Megaupload was notified of content and never took it down (which would be the same of being aware of a murder in my rented house) but just from what I've personally seen, I've come across numerous links that were taken down from Megaupload. Tons!

What I would like to know is where their main base operated from. I keep seeing that it was Hong Kong but I'm just trying to figure out how the United States had the authority to even seize their property in a completely different country. Did they have some operations set up in the US somewhere?

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by RyanEstabrooks
I've come across numerous links that were taken down from Megaupload. Tons!

Yes, that's the issue. Megaupload is accused of only removing the links to illegal content rather than removing it.

So if we use the "person killed in your house" metaphor: Megaupload knowingly let hundreds of people commit murder in their house, did not report this fact, earned money from the murders, and covered it up.

Originally posted by RyanEstabrooks
What I would like to know is where their main base operated from. I keep seeing that it was Hong Kong but I'm just trying to figure out how the United States had the authority to even seize their property in a completely different country. Did they have some operations set up in the US somewhere?

Arrests and seizures in other countries were carried out by police in those countries. The FBI was involved because they had some of their stuff in the US.

Mr. Rhythmic
im sure it was all planned down to the last detail but shhh dont say anything. It is a billion dollar coverup, and I wonder where the money will go??

Oh, I'm sorry, am I supposed to care?

rudester
ooh Im sorry kong if you didn't care seeing how you will never know what a billion dollars looks like, infact you will probably ever know what a million dollars looks like or a hundred dollars looks like in your case. But yeah you should care, because many companies throughout history to speak of and many corruption stories have been used in the name of justice.

Justice 1
Definition: The quality of being just; conformity to the principles of righteousness and rectitude in all things; strict performance of moral obligations; practical conformity to human or divine law; integrity in the dealings of men with each other; rectitude; equity; uprightness.

You can't really argue whats justice now a days because the people who hold the law, use it for their personal gain; in this case money. Should we say that uploading curtain movie files that were bad quality to begin with was a crime? Or downloading free music so we could enjoy ourselves was a crime? Don't these artist get paid alot anways so that we should care? Don't doctors get paid less more? or teachers for that matter? My point is, is that the money probably went to some low-life or back into the system. It never went to the hungry artist...or an artist organization. P.s you should care. Because now you wont get to see that movie that was going to entertain you, you also wont get to hear that Mega Upload song again.

TacDavey
I'm not all that tech savy, but if you can force someone to take down their site, can't you just force them to remove the illegal material while keeping the rest in tact?

red g jacks
the internet without pirated material would be boring as ****

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by TacDavey
I'm not all that tech savy, but if you can force someone to take down their site, can't you just force them to remove the illegal material while keeping the rest in tact?

Yes, you can, and that's a potential outcome of the case, though I'm sure IMG will seek having Megaupload destroyed completely. The site was seized as part of an injunction, it's not meant to be permanent.

rudester
hey guys I know I said we shouldnt share sites on where we download but I need to watch this movie and it wont work on icefilms? Do you guys know any other sites where you can download movies and you dont have to sign up for shit,,,just click and download???

ares834
Just use torrents... But expect to get caught a couple times.

rudester
I dont know how to do that....Im stupid..lol

can you guide me step by step???

guy222
the feds got mega upload but they cannot stop all the uploading sites or torrents

rapidshare etc

case in point...isohunt and piratebay still thrive

and to me its baffling when everyone makes $

rudester
I go on project free tv...but this past few weeks have been icky, some on the links dont work anymore?? I dont know why. But it still works for some things.

Thoren
Where am I supposed to get me copy of Adobe Illistrator and Photoshop CS5 at now?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Thoren
Where am I supposed to get me copy of Adobe Illistrator and Photoshop CS5 at now?

Buy it! That is what I did.

Thoren
Are you nuts, that shit is overpriced.

Shakyamunison
Are you nuts, that shit is overpriced.

Why do you think it is over priced?

Thoren
$600 for photo editing software, if you think that's a bargain, or priced just right, than you're a fool.

At most it should be $250.

inimalist
use freeware versions that are essentially the exact same program?

Shakyamunison
$600 for photo editing software, if you think that's a bargain, or priced just right, than you're a fool.

At most it should be $250.

Don't buy it then. You can get Elements at any Costco for around $100 or less.

I don't have any sympathy, because the software I use is a lot more then $600. If people would stop ripping off the software companies, then supply and demand will lower the price.

But I get the feeling you know this and you are just leading me on. big grin

inimalist
If people would stop ripping off the software companies, then supply and demand will lower the price.

roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

good one

Shakyamunison
roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing

good one

I did almost gag when writing that. embarrasment laughing out loud

inimalist
I did almost gag when writing that. embarrasment laughing out loud

it'd be nice though

I'd love it if Reason came down in price simply because there are freeware competitors (supply and demand, etc). I can't justify $300+ just for a nicer graphics interface and better midi support, but I'd drop $100 for sure.

For music at least, software can cost as much as real synths, which seems weird to me.

LOL, or hell, a reasonably priced version of MS office big grinbig grin

Shakyamunison
it'd be nice though

I'd love it if Reason came down in price simply because there are freeware competitors (supply and demand, etc). I can't justify $300+ just for a nicer graphics interface and better midi support, but I'd drop $100 for sure.

For music at least, software can cost as much as real synths, which seems weird to me.

LOL, or hell, a reasonably priced version of MS office big grinbig grin

Then there is content. eek! I sometimes feel like a fish on the line. iClone just came out with G5 clothing for $80 (20% off for suckers like me). sad

Thoren
Don't buy it then. You can get Elements at any Costco for around $100 or less.

I don't have any sympathy, because the software I use is a lot more then $600. If people would stop ripping off the software companies, then supply and demand will lower the price.

But I get the feeling you know this and you are just leading me on. big grin
I hate elements. And why are you paying more than $600?

I agree with the ripoff, but then again, people buy bootleg DVDs and those only cost $15.99 new.

People are always gonna want something for free, its nature I guess.

I don't know if I was leading you on, but I was being truth full, I need to find a new way of getting Illistrator.

creepermm

Barker

I agree with the ripoff, but then again, people buy bootleg DVDs and those only cost $15.99 new.

I don't know if I was leading you on, but I was being truth full, I need to find a new way of getting Illistrator.

creepermm
Find a friend who's in college and get an educational discount, chum.

Thoren
Originally posted by Barker
Find a friend who's in college and get an educational discount, chum.
That would be you, I'll pm you my address, so you can send me the "goods"

Shakyamunison

creepermm

Business: SolidWorks I think a new seat would be around $4,500.

Hobby: PhotoShop, Vue10, iClone & Manga Studio; between $600 each to $150 for Manga Studio.

Thoren

Shakyamunison

I now see why you need PhotoShop. laughing Image talker. big grin

Mr. Rhythmic
ooh Im sorry kong if you didn't care seeing how you will never know what a billion dollars looks like

I stopped right there. That was the stupidest thing I've read in a while. So, you're a billionaire?

Lord Lucien
No, he's just a retard.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.