The Blair Witch Project

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

kjm87
You'll probably think I'm stupid by asking this, but was there ever any truth to the Blair Witch Project? I always thought it was real, but I can't see how it possibly could be.

Thomas H
no there was not!

duffy
that film sucked

Ushgarak
Very much my sort of film...

No, no truth at all. Remember, the film was the centrepiece of a large fictional entity set up by the creators- the false mystery of these students who disappeared in the woods. To check out all they had put into it you had to check out the website, diaries, film and documentary. A very interesting exercise in integrated storytelling and a rather well-done film in itself, even if it does not appeal to all.

BackFire349
yeah they did a good job with advertising it, good movie, cannibal holocaust is better though.

duffy
yeah good advertisin and that but i just thought the film didnt live up to the hype.And i didnt even bother seein the sequel

BackFire349
sequal was horrid.

duffy
i thought so.didnt even wont to go near the thing!!

mechmoggy
The sequel was quite poor. Cannibal Holocaust did the "films found after the event" thing a loooooooong time ago.

I enjoyed viewing the Blair Witch website leading up to the release but I didn't much like the film. Although it was pretty different to anything thats been done in a while, always a bonus in my books.

BackFire349
i liked it, but was disapointed by the end. it kept building and building but then nothing happened. CH had a great ending. intense as hell.

Thomas H
this movie sucks!

Ushgarak
I was perfectly happy with the end myself...

The hype made it out to be something it was not- something he makers did not intend.

BackFire349
i didnt hate the ending.... but it felt like the whole movie was leading up to something big, just had that feeling...and then nothing really happened... the guy was just pissing in the corner or something

ariwin
NO truth in it at all. I also thought that the movie sucked, but you know it was an indie film and indie films generally go one way or another. Speaking of indie films, I recently saw a really good one called Manna From Heaven when it premiered in Columbus, OH. Very cute. From what i hear it's coming to NY and LA w/in the next couple of days. For all interested parties, the production company's name is five sisters productions

Augeybana
People said it sucked because the film look screwed up and boring.The reason why I liked this movie was the advertisement.C'mon it was beliveable.They even had on sci-fi a hour on the blair witch that why it made so much money.Greatest indepedent movie of all time .

Budget-$15,000-$30,000

Made in U.S.A-$180,000,000-more

Genius I say.

Hurk
I thought BW2 was really good
I didnt like this one though.

ToMacco
I thought the movie was perfect. All horror movie now rely on shock value and gruesome effects. This movie was very effective, because your imagination is much scarier than any Hollywood creation.

BackFire349
thats true tom. that was the best part of it.

Captain REX
I saw BW2 at 5 AM (I'm such a sneak and luckily I was at my grandma's house so I got to sleep in til 12 and get a breakfast of pancakes!) so I don't remember much of it. It was great though.

mechmoggy
I watched it drunk at my house along with a few other horrors. My mate and I decided to have a horror night, I was quite disturbed by the end of the evening.

Thomas H
see the norwegian Villmark...ten times better than Blair Witch!

Ushgarak
That the guy was standing in the corner was of great significance, though!

mechmoggy
laughing out loud

I needed a bit more gore myself, my imagination ain't what it used to be.

edwinian
I liked the whole effect of the movie. The premise behind making it beleivable. I was in one of the first waves to see it- and there was still all that buzz about it being true and such- what a great psychological effect- they drew on an absence to make the movie that much stronger.

The second one sucked!

Augeybana
I think the second sucked because it was a non fiiction movie coming after a movie that was supposed to be a documentry but was a hoax.It didn't look like a sequel to me.

Ushgarak
No, it was more of a spin-off. However, what THAT posed of was a dramatisation of a 'real' (also fictional) event about Blair Witch mania. They did a documentary exploring the 'real' events that Book of Shadows was based on- like the first film, this documentary was all part of the story as well.

BackFire349
a story that should have ended after the first movie.

Ushgarak
Well, it was a different story really, because it was based on the idea of the original being a story, rather than real.

BackFire349
even so, thew movie was bad enough to where it should not hav ebeen made. they shoulda just left it at the first one instead of ruining the once credible 'blair witch' name by making a half assed sequal just like every other horror movie. when will people learn, sequals just dont work

Ushgarak
It was full-assed. It just did not work. It was still hell of a lot more original, sequel-wise, than most horror sequels.

BackFire349
no it wasnt, jsut another haunted house type movie. nothing original was there. and if that was full assed then they had some very small asses.

Ushgarak
It was not just another haunted house type movie! It was a critique of the phenomenon of movie hysteria and much of it was ENTIRELY original as was the presenation that came with it. But it just was not a very good story which killed all the cleverness of it off.

BackFire349
i think you may be looking to deeply into it. maybe it did have a commentary of some sort, most horror movies do. that is nothing new. however, the presentation was nothing short of simple and recycles many of the same elements of past horror movies such as the shining and the cube, dealing with paranoia and the frailty of the human psyche. it was a generic haunted house movie that added nothing new or different to the horror genre. it was just an iffy horror movie put out quickly to capitolize on the popularity of the first movie. it stands as one of the worst and one of the most boring movies ever.

BackFire349
well, for those of you who dont know, they are making a third one now. lets hope they learn from the mistakes of the second one, and make the thrid one good.

Augeybana
Yeah too bad it can't be like the first.

BackFire349
blair witch is one of those movies that shouldnt have had any sequals. part of its main draw was the uniqueness of its presentation, which was very intriguing to everyone and which is why many peopel saw it. with the sequal, no matter what, people wouldnt have been as interested because the shock value of the presentation would have worn off. so the moral of the story, sequels bad.

Thomas H
man I hate this movie!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.