Moira vs..Commissioner Gordon vs... Lois Lane vs....Uatu vs...Alfred vs... Blind Al

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sin I AM
Who is the greatest supporting character?

JakeTheBank
Alfred.

abhilegend
Lois.

JakeTheBank
Why do you think Lois is the best supporting character?

psycho gundam
look at his sig/avatar

JakeTheBank
^ I meant besides that.

abhilegend
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Why do you think Lois is the best supporting character?
When alfred supports a 136 issue long comic series and has his name in the title of a tv series, call me.

abhilegend
Originally posted by psycho gundam
look at his sig/avatar
And?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by abhilegend
When gordon supports a 136 issue long comic series and has his name in the title of a tv series, call me.

That doesn't mean anything, really. Those Lois Lane comics were made to cater to girls who were reading comics and didn't do much to flesh out her character. If anything, they were just a bunch of typical silver age nonsense that bordered on sexist to say the least. It wasn't until recently (within the past couple of decades) that they decided to make Lois someone who didn't scream stereotypical damsel in distress with "strong female qualities".

Lois and Clark wasn't a bad show, but it wasn't anything to write home about, either.

I'd say both Jim Gordon and Alfred are consistently written better than Lois is, easily.

abhilegend
That doesn't mean anything, really. Those Lois Lane comics were made to cater to girls who were reading comics and didn't do much to flesh out her character. If anything, they were just a bunch of typical silver age nonsense that bordered on sexist to say the least. It wasn't until recently (within the past couple of decades) that they decided to make Lois someone who didn't scream stereotypical damsel in distress with "strong female qualities".

Lois and Clark wasn't a bad show, but it wasn't anything to write home about, either.

I'd say both Jim Gordon and Alfred are consistently written better than Lois is, easily.
That's your opinion. Alfred was made a villain and killed for nearly a decade, that's how important he is. Gordon rose in recognition after Year one, he was a nobody before that. Read Superman dailies and early golden age comics if you think lois was always a damsel in distress, you might be surprised.

JakeTheBank
That's your opinion. Alfred was made a villain and killed for nearly a decade, that's how important he is. Gordon rose in recognition after Year one, he was a nobody before that. Read Superman dailies and early golden age comics if you think lois was always a damsel in distress, you might be surprised.

I've read them, and while Lois certainly had her moments of being assertive and helping Superman if not saving him from time to time, as far as her being a character on her own goes...she was treated like a glorified "girlfriend" character, which she was. She didn't get really fleshed out until more recent times, and even now, her good portrayals are out numbered by the ones which basically put her in the role as Clark's love interest.

Both Jim Gordon and Alfred have been portrayed better than Lois for years now. It's really not in question either.

abhilegend
I've read them, and while Lois certainly had her moments of being assertive and helping Superman if not saving him from time to time, as far as her being a character on her own goes...she was treated like a glorified "girlfriend" character, which she was. She didn't get really fleshed out until more recent times, and even now, her good portrayals are out numbered by the ones which basically put her in the role as Clark's love interest.

Both Jim Gordon and Alfred have been portrayed better than Lois for years now. It's really not in question either.
That's her role in superman comics, remove alfred from his role as a patron of bat family and he is a nobody. Similarly remove gordon as an ally who provides support to batclan and he is a nobody. That's as much subjective as saying batman was always as successfull as he is today. Tell me jake what are these better portrayals of alfred and james you are talking about?

JakeTheBank
That's her role in superman comics, remove alfred from his role as a patron of bat family and he is a nobody. Similarly remove gordon as an ally who provides support to batclan and he is a nobody. That's as much subjective as saying batman was always as successfull as he is today. Tell me jake what are these better portrayals of alfred and james you are talking about?

So how is Lois a better supporting character than either of them? You feel Lois is the best supporting character here, presumably because of her connection to Superman, but why? Because she had a line of comics centered around her? Because she was billed in a TV show in the 90s? Remove Lois from a rival to Clark/love interest to Superman and she's a nobody. What's your point? erm

Year One, Long Halloween, Dark Victory, Hush, Killing Joke, etc, etc, etc. And those are just for starters. They can carry stories and arcs and single issues on their own better than Lois can and they have.

The two of them both have been treated infinitely better as characters than Lois Lane has been for the better part of two decades at least.

I really don't see how or why you feel Lois is the best supporting character unless you're arguing that she wins by default simply because she's tied to Superman.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.