Haywire

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

super pr*xy
did a search, nothing came up.. saw it last night.. not what the trailer was trying to sell, but i enjoyed it.. a lot of turns in the plot.. gina carano is f*cking gorgeous, even when she kills.. i really enjoyed this movie.. too bad it was eclipsed by "underworld 4" by having the same release date.. casting was top notch; mcgregor, banderas, fassbender, douglas.. 84% at rotten tomatoes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5QE4mLUOM&feature=fvst

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by super pr*xy
did a search, nothing came up.. saw it last night.. not what the trailer was trying to sell, but i enjoyed it.. a lot of turns in the plot.. gina carano is f*cking gorgeous, even when she kills.. i really enjoyed this movie.. too bad it was eclipsed by "underworld 4" by having the same release date.. casting was top notch; mcgregor, banderas, fassbender, douglas.. 84% at rotten tomatoes..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj5QE4mLUOM&feature=fvst

i want to see this.. do they set it up for a sequel?

Robtard
Looks like another "they trained her and then they betrayed her and she's out for vengeance" type of flick.

I always find it funny when 135lbs women punch guys in the face and lay them out with one hit, especially when they do unnecessary moves like jumping slightly off a wall (Salt 2010).

super pr*xy
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
i want to see this.. do they set it up for a sequel?

i left the theater wanting more, actually.. they spend a lot of time developing her character that the ending felt a little too, for a lack of a better word, abrupt..

Originally posted by Robtard
Looks like another "they trained her and then they betrayed her and she's out for vengeance" type of flick.

I always find it funny when 135lbs women punch guys in the face and lay them out with one hit, especially when they do unnecessary moves like jumping slightly off a wall (Salt 2010).

the h2h sequences are actually not like that.. every time there's a fight scene, its just that, a fight.. i don't remember her laying a guy out with just one punch..

and the "train then betray" is an over-simplification of the plot.. she's actually trying to get something done.. not just going down a hit list mindlessly..

Patient_Leech
From the trailer it reminds me of La Femme Nikita. That chick doesn't seem too hot to me. I think she might be suffering from a bit of the Michelle Rodriguez syndrome (which we were discussing in the Resident Evil V thread). Too much butch. erm

RE: Blaxican
You say that because you're insane.

She's pretty fine. And adorable.

Patient_Leech
Thou shalt not question my sanity, sir! I am a hundred times as sane as anyone here!! stick out tongue

Sorry, I'll admit she has a fairly pleasant face, but I'm not into fightin' chicks. She still looks a little too beefy and manly for me. Any chick who can rip my head off... no thanks. puke

Robtard
She's definitely cute, even sexy.

Movie seems even more lame to me now though, an MMA fighter turned actor.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
From the trailer it reminds me of La Femme Nikita. That chick doesn't seem too hot to me. I think she might be suffering from a bit of the Michelle Rodriguez syndrome (which we were discussing in the Resident Evil V thread). Too much butch. erm

Dude she is fine! Most of these EuroAction films these days reflect Nikita I agree.
I'm definitely gonna check this out.

srankmissingnin
I HATED this movie, and the sad part is there was nothing overtly terrible about the acting or the story. What just killed it for me was the score that was completely ill suited for the tone of the movie. The film just couldn't build up any drama or tension with this terrible Jazz line coming in every time the film tried to ramp up to something. When the electro-jazz wasn't playing the rest of the film was quiet with this sort of airy whistling noise, like a window had been left open or your ear drums had just popped.. truly bizarre sound design choices that constantly pulled me out of any sense of immersion I had while watching the film.

Also Michael Angarano's character is completely useless to the story, for the life of me I have no idea why a large chunk of the story is framed around Mallory (Gina Carano's character) telling him about the two missions that led up to the ordeal she is currently in. It's useless. His character is only on screen for the few minutes that book end the flash backs... then he disappears from the movie entirely when her story catches up to current events halfway through the movie. Why? A straight forward narrative would have helped the film establish a constant tone and build tension... but I honestly don't think it would have made much of a difference with the terrible score.

There is a good movie in there somewhere and I honestly don't think it would take much time in the editing room to turn this garbage into a decent film... which makes it even more infuriating. Come on Soderbergh, step up your game.

Patient_Leech
hm... trying to be different, I suppose, srank?

srankmissingnin
Nope, I just feel that the score and sound design is an very important part of the over all film package and if it isn't done right it can ruin a film. This movie isn't Ocean's 11, the music didn't suit the tone of the movie and I couldn't over look it. Every time that Jazz line started playing I starting grinding my teeth and praying to god it would end.

Since you think I'm hating on a well received movie just to be different for the sake of being different I won't tell you want I thought about The Descendants... lol

Patient_Leech
I was suggesting nothing of the sort. Just curious. I don't even think the movie looks interesting. I probably will never see it.

RE: Blaxican
The music reminded me of the type of "suspensful" jazz music you hear playing in the background of 1970's police crime drama movies.

super pr*xy
the score didn't bother me at all.. i was too immersed visually, i guess *wink, wink*.. and i liked the fact that there were no noisy music and no punch-landing sound effects with the fight scenes..

marwash22
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I HATED this movie, and the sad part is there was nothing overtly terrible about the acting or the story. What just killed it for me was the score that was completely ill suited for the tone of the movie. The film just couldn't build up any drama or tension with this terrible Jazz line coming in every time the film tried to ramp up to something. http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/this/grand/30822954_this.gif

my thoughts exactly. i couldn't even get into it and had to stop watching like 20 minutes in.

Esau Cairn
I honestly didn't expect much & for that reason I did enjoy the film. I guess knowing that Gina wasn't an actress was an added plus to the "rawness" of the film.

Haywire was a bit more credible than Columbina.

marwash22
credible in what way?

Esau Cairn
I guess credible in a sense that Soderbergh knew Gina wasn't an actress & gave her a down to earth character with a simple dialog to match.The rest of the professional actors carried the story. There was no underlaying roles of emotion or turmoil that Zoe Saldana's character had in Columbiana.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.