80s movies why where they so GREAT?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rudester
I always liked sister act 2.
A league of their own?
She devil. Ohh rosanne was the bestest.
When bette midler can act...ooow Im there.

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkunid1uRy1qj9gbjo1_500.png

Esau Cairn
This is a scary thread.

...please make it go away. sad

Kazenji
I liked more the action, sci-fi and horror from the 80's.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, some great movies came out of the 80's but every generation and decade has great movies. For every Indiana Jones there is a Lord of the Rings. Also, when i think of the great movies of the 80's i dont think of any of those movies fron the opening post, A league of their own is from the ninties

Placidity
I wouldn't necessarily say the "80's", but the last few decades. James Bond over the last 50 years proves this point rather well.

the ninjak
70s and 80s horror is the best. It went downhill after that.
80's Comedies are pure gold.
80's Action MWaaaahh!

Psychotron
Originally posted by the ninjak
70s and 80s horror is the best. It went downhill after that.
80's Comedies are pure gold.
80's Action MWaaaahh!

Yeah action is dead these days. It's been replaced by shitty comic book movies. Horror isn't scary anymore and hell most of it is PG-13 (wtf?) how can that shit be scary? And where are the slashers? They were so awesomely cheesy.

RyanEstabrooks
haha what? Sister Act 2? You must be joking.

Anyways, yes, there were some good movies from the 80s, even if the soundtracks and clothing will be forever cheesy.

ADarksideJedi
Originally posted by rudester
A league of their own?

I argee with She-Devil that had some great lines in that movie!I also like alot of the John Candy movies and Children of the Corn that was made in the eightys. smile

Kazenji
Originally posted by Psychotron
Yeah action is dead these days. It's been replaced by shitty comic book movies.

Ummmmm what??

Stoic
The 80's had great movies because they leaned more on direction, and acting ability, and less on 3D effects to pull them out of a hot spot unlike they do in films today. A great film, is one that's great before you add special effects, so when they are added, a great movie becomes an awesome movie.

Psychotron
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ummmmm what??

Instead of awesome R-rated explosion fests like say Die Hard or Lethal Weapon we're getting shitty PG-13 comic book trash like Captain America, Thor and Green Lantern. Yeah, there are some good ones like The Dark Knight but they suck overall.

roughrider
Originally posted by rudester
A league of their own?

Sister Act 2 and A League Of Their Own were released in the 1990's.
It's clear that some people have different definitions of what makes a great movie. Some people think a film without explosions isn't worth their time.
Every decade has their great films, but overall I hold the 1970's decade in greater esteem over the 1980's.

-It was the last golden age in American moviemaking, where the films school generation (Coppola, Lucas, Spielberg, Scorsese et al) made their mark and took over the industry.

-Some still consider 1976 as the greatest year for the Oscars - All The President's Men, Network, Rocky and Taxi Driver were all nominated that year.

-There was the fun trends of the chop socky and exploitation/blaxploitation films- a genre that Quentin Tarantino owes his whole career to.

-There was the thinking man's action film (The French Connection, Black Sunday, Jaws), and an era where one could spend years in the jungle and emerge with a crazy masterpiece (Apocalypse Now) and the beginning of the superhero movie was epic (Superman)

-It was Clint Eastwood switching from cowboy mercenary to hard assed cop and the beginning of his Oscar-winning directorial career.

-It was an era that brought up truly great horror films - The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Halloween, Alien.

-And it's the decade that brought us Star Wars. Though it inadvertently put an end to the golden age of cinema, it was the commercial blockbuster at it's finest, and something very studio has looked to repeat ever since.

By comparison, the 1980's brought in mindless, stupid horror films with photocopies of stories than actual scripts that had endless sequels, and many mindless action films produced by Joel Silver (Die Hard excepted) - the kind that got satirized in the movie Grand Canyon in 1991 (Joel Silver wouldn't start showing ambition until he began working with the Wachowski's in the late 1990's.) When Jerry Bruckheimer & Don Simpson were producing so much flash over substance in their films.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah action is dead these days. It's been replaced by shitty comic book movies. Horror isn't scary anymore and hell most of it is PG-13 (wtf?) how can that shit be scary? And where are the slashers? They were so awesomely cheesy.

I have to highly disagree. With a few exceptions, actions movies of the 80's and yesteryear have not aged well at all. The movies i grew up adoring have become dated and cheesy with sloppy editing, poor sound effects and terrible pacing. IF anything, action movies have become more intense, viscerale and realistic.

The art of filmmaking, like anything else, has been maturing and become more bold. This includes all genres. There just happens to be more movies being made these days. This means, obviously, there will be more bad movies and more fly by night movies, made only to make a buck. substance is there folks. You just have to look and watch with an open mind. You also need to realize that some of those beloved movies you grew up loving arent as good as you once thought. This doesn't mean you have to like them any less, just acknowledge that maybe, they werent that good to begin with or either other movies have come along and done it better.

Psychotron
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
I have to highly disagree. With a few exceptions, actions movies of the 80's and yesteryear have not aged well at all. The movies i grew up adoring have become dated and cheesy with sloppy editing, poor sound effects and terrible pacing. IF anything, action movies have become more intense, viscerale and realistic.

The art of filmmaking, like anything else, has been maturing and become more bold. This includes all genres. There just happens to be more movies being made these days. This means, obviously, there will be more bad movies and more fly by night movies, made only to make a buck. substance is there folks. You just have to look and watch with an open mind. You also need to realize that some of those beloved movies you grew up loving arent as good as you once thought. This doesn't mean you have to like them any less, just acknowledge that maybe, they werent that good to begin with or either other movies have come along and done it better.

Are you joking? Give some examples of modern action movies on the level of The Terminator, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Predator, etc. Sci-fi and horror have taken a huge dive as well.

Kazenji
Instead of awesome R-rated explosion fests like say Die Hard or Lethal Weapon we're getting shitty PG-13 comic book trash like Captain America, Thor and Green Lantern. Yeah, there are some good ones like The Dark Knight but they suck overall.

From the sounds of things you've read comics

and also the ones you've mentioned they're far from PG-13 in this country those are like M 15+.

Psychotron
Originally posted by Kazenji
From the sounds of things you've read comics

and also the ones you've mentioned they're far from PG-13 in this country those are like M 15+.

I've read some but I'm generally not a fan. 15+? What for? Those movies don't have anything truly violent or gory in them.

Ascendancy
I've seen plenty of 80s films, but a few slipped by. Just saw The Breakfast Club for the first time. Freaking beast movie. No CGI, one setting, Unities of Drama for the win.

Pathetic some of the crap that gets greenlighted these days. Learn from the past.

jinXed by JaNx
Are you joking? Give some examples of modern action movies on the level of The Terminator, Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Predator, etc. Sci-fi and horror have taken a huge dive as well.

Matrix
Gladiator
Troy
Kingdom of Heaven
King Kong
Harry Potter
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
The Watchmen
Ip Man
Warriors Way
Iron Clad
Cowboys and Aliens
King Arthur
Water World
Goon
Drive
The Confession
Endless sunshine on the spotless mind
Spiderman 2
Hellboy
Hellboy 2
pans Labyrinth
Lord of the Rings
The aviator
Master and Commander
Amelie

do i need to keep going? That's just off the top of my head. Maybe you just stopped wanting to like movies.

Kazenji
I've read some but I'm generally not a fan.

The only comic book movies that could possible go for R rated for Marvel would be Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Punisher (Tho they've done that and still not perfect)

Die Hard and Lethal Weapon are still violent just maybe not R.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.