Americans on trial in Egypt

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16949846

Right so...what's everyone's view on this situation?

Shakyamunison
Wow! They will not take our bribe. It must be time to bomb them.

RE: Blaxican
Let's kill 'em all. Dictators are bad.

Omega Vision
My take is that Egypt's ruling military government is trying to distance itself from America to appease the Anti-Western elements of the Egyptian opposition and at the same time distract everyone from the real abuses. Or maybe I'm completely misreading the situation.

In either case, if it weren't for American military hardware they couldn't keep power. They have something like 1000 M1 Abrams MBTs, the second greatest amount held by any country after the USA. No way is a Libya style armed uprising going to work when the military holds that kind of power.

A lesson in why America shouldn't be giving away its weapons to anyone who will give lipservice to its foreign policy aspirations.

lil bitchiness
I am against foreign funding of any kind of political movements in any country, thus Egypt is right if it wishes to ban it or do investigation on it.
However, it's kind of idiotic, as they accepted financial help from the West when it suited them to overthrow the government they didn't like.

However, NGO picture is bigger than these people who are being put on trial. A lot bigger. These people will just be done as an 'example'.

Also, they're right, it isn't just America and Europe that's doing the illegal funding, but also other Arab nations including Saudi Arabia (they're also funding random political movements and mobilising people all around Europe and the West and noone says anything.)

Omega Vision
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
I am against foreign funding of any kind of political movements in any country, thus Egypt is right if it wishes to ban it or do investigation on it.
However, it's kind of idiotic, as they accepted financial help from the West when it suited them to overthrow the government they didn't like.

However, NGO picture is bigger than these people who are being put on trial. A lot bigger. These people will just be done as an 'example'.

Also, they're right, it isn't just America and Europe that's doing the illegal funding, but also other Arab nations including Saudi Arabia (they're also funding random political movements and mobilising people all around Europe and the West and noone says anything.)
On a pragmatic level though this doesn't seem all too bright for Egypt's Junta.

Governments like them thrive and survive only because they're supported from without. If they try to be an "independent" government free of foreign influence they'll find that in the long run this means that when their people get really fed up and their fancy Western tanks have broken down from disrepair (mind you this is wishful thinking, I hope we weren't dull enough to give them the know how and parts to keep them running without continual support...that would be a lack of foresight) they have nowhere to turn to escape lynching.

That's probably an overly optimistic view though.

Bentley
What do you mean exactly by "governments like them"?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bentley
What do you mean exactly by "governments like them"?
Governments that weren't chosen by their own people, or at least were chosen by a minority of the population who consolidated their hold on power with the assistance of external (usually American) assistance/support.

This isn't the same as being a puppet since that implies the external forces propped them up in the first place which isn't the case in Egypt.

jinXed by JaNx
i think the American military needs to create flying saucers and declare war on the world posing as Aliens. Then, Nuke the entire world except for America.

Lord Lucien
But then where will America get it's bananas?

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Omega Vision
On a pragmatic level though this doesn't seem all too bright for Egypt's Junta.

Governments like them thrive and survive only because they're supported from without. If they try to be an "independent" government free of foreign influence they'll find that in the long run this means that when their people get really fed up and their fancy Western tanks have broken down from disrepair (mind you this is wishful thinking, I hope we weren't dull enough to give them the know how and parts to keep them running without continual support...that would be a lack of foresight) they have nowhere to turn to escape lynching.

That's probably an overly optimistic view though.

Of course. It's not very bright of them.

It's ridiculous on many levels. It's ''we got the government, now GTFO''.
If they think they're being smart, they're wrong.

Robtard
Smoke and mirrors, Egypt in the end will not bite the (american) hand that feeds it.

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by Robtard
Smoke and mirrors, Egypt in the end will not bite the (american) hand that feeds it.

Damn straight they will. Mubarak at least had peace with Israel. These idiots will change that.
Look out of mushroom clouds in the middle east.

inimalist
idk, I can't say the image of Israel having more pressure put onto them to enact policies the majority of the world is in favor of is a bad thing.

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Damn straight they will. Mubarak at least had peace with Israel. These idiots will change that.
Look out of mushroom clouds in the middle east.

Nahh...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.