Splinter of the Mind's Eye as a Star Wars Film

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

GordonSkywalker
Speculation regarding the original EU novel, Splinter of the Mind's Eye by Alan Dean Foster. What if this had been made into a movie instead of ESB? Would we have enjoyed the original trilogy if this had been made as its middle chapter? AS I am sure everyone here knows, this book started out as a possible sequel to the original Star Wars(1977) film. Of course only Luke and Leia(with Darth Vader) appear in most of it! laughing out loud

Ushgarak
No we would not; it was pretty poor.

GordonSkywalker
Yes, the novel was. I am speaking of a movie version of the story.

Corran
But based on a poor story, they would have struggled to make a good movie.

Ushgarak
I know exactly what you were speaking of. You asked if we would have enjoyed the trilogy as much. The answer is no.

Julie
I concure

GordonSkywalker
I see. It is true the story is a bit bland when compared to ESB, so it is probably no suprise that the original trilogy would have suffered unduly had this been made into a film.

Julie
Bland is an understatement...

GordonSkywalker
Would you care to elaborate? I find these ideas very fascinating to say the least. I think the book worked out really well, but maybe it was better to not use it as a film. The debate continues.....

Julie
I didn't care for the book...maybe b/c I read it so long after it came out....and I read so many other books that were a lot better that it didn't impress me

finti
oh please NO

Julie
yes my thoughts exactly

GordonSkywalker
Well then. I don't see there is much more to say about it then.

Julie
why....you liked the book.....and it was an interesting idea....though if I were to make a movie out of an EU book it simply wouldn't be Splinter first

GordonSkywalker
Yeah but I don't know how to continue a discussion predicated on the story being made into a film. All right, another brilliant thought: What if Splinter had been made into an animated telefilm in the best tradition of the Ewoks movies? Any takers?

Julie
That would be interesting...but I never saw the Ewok animated series....bottom line is that I'll watch almost anything that has "star wars" in the title

GordonSkywalker
Star Wars:The Splinter of the Mind's Eye".

Julie
yeah I'd even watch that:-)

GordonSkywalker
Good. I sold the idea then..

Julie
yes, I suppose you did.....did you ever consider going into sales?...

GordonSkywalker
Ha! I could but then probably lose my temper at some annoying potential customer! Still maybe if I perfect this jedi hand trick.....

Julie
that would be bad....remember the customer is right....even when they are so wrong that it isn't funny any more

GordonSkywalker
Yes I suppose you're right. Sigh. No more hand tricks then.....

Julie
Hand tricks???? Do I want to know what that is...or is it somehting totally dishonest?

GordonSkywalker
No, I was speaking of the fabled jedi hand trick that Liam Neeson uses a lot in The Phantom Menace. I like to practice it whenever I am out in town. Nothing dishonest, I promise. laughing

Julie
*wary look *
:-)
I believe you.

GordonSkywalker
Glad you do! Maybe I should use it to convince weak-minded people that Splinter would make a great oneoff Star Wars film......

Julie
nope....that wouldn't work.....

GordonSkywalker
Oh crumbs.

Julie
at least not on me:-0

GordonSkywalker
No I am sure it wouldn't work on you. Plus my feelings would only get in the way............

Julie
what you'd feel guilty about trying to test my mind:-)?

GordonSkywalker
You got it. I have a healthy respect for the female population and wouldn't try it on you anyway. big grin

Julie
thank you ...that's good to know....

GordonSkywalker
No I would wait patiently and go find some potential goons and convince them it would be cool for them to make their own film based on the book. Then I would act in the shadows and gain a huge profit.(Laughing all the way to the bank)

Julie
how diabolical.......sounds uh interesting.....and what would you get out of this besides money?

GordonSkywalker
Satisfaction.

Julie
ahh that's always a good goal to have

GordonSkywalker
"Yes satisfaction is what I seek.....satisfaction is what we seek..." And what satisfaction it would be for a Splinter of the Mind's Eye film! cool

Julie
* rolls eyes*:-)

GordonSkywalker
I thought that was well written.

Julie
oh it was....the rolled eyes had nothing to do with the stucture of the sentence

GordonSkywalker
Then what were they for?

yerssot
horrible idea

GordonSkywalker
I assume you are referring to making Splinter into a bona fide SW film?

yerssot
ya

GordonSkywalker
I disagree and as it is my thread I feel perfectly fine in reiterating that.

yerssot
but I have the special "overrule" card!

GordonSkywalker
People are too antagonistic towards this book which just happens to be the original EU Star Wars novel. And it was originally written as a screenplay for a potential Star Wars sequel. This was later thrown out in favor of The Empire Strikes Back. I am a student of SW history.

yerssot
ya, and the story isn't good at all

GordonSkywalker
Not when compared to ESB or ROTJ perhaps. But suppose we never heard of either films and only had Splinter as a sequel to the original Star Wars?

yerssot
kill myself?

GordonSkywalker
Now that would be a waste my friend. We need more brilliant minds like you out here! Anyway the point is well taken. No one here but me likes Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

yerssot
nah, I like it a tad, just not good enough for a movie

GordonSkywalker
Then I do not see the logic in keeping this thread open.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.