My Little Pony: Fighting is Magic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StyleTime
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Fighting_is_Magic_Character_Selection_Screen.png

http://www.mane6.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Fighting_Is_Magic

Oh. Hell. Yes.

Digi
Hahahaha. But seriously, I enjoy all the brony remixed songs the MLP community makes. Don't really care for the other stuff though.

StyleTime
I was completely unaware of MLP or the brony phenomenon until about a week ago. Thanks to the Games vs off topic thread, I took a MLP personality test and watched an episode out of curiosity.

19 episodes later, I stumbled onto this.

Digi
Haven't actually seen a single episode, but I do have like 4GB's worth of MLP music. I don't know if that's worse or better. Fluttershy is pretty hilarious though (from scattered youtube clips).

NemeBro
This is amazing.

The world just because 20% cooler.

Digi
Originally posted by NemeBro
This is amazing.

The world just because 20% cooler.

Your grammar also because 20% worser. You must be really excited.

KingD19
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm up to date on every episode of MLP.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Digi
Your grammar also because 20% worser. You must be really excited. So is your face.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by KingD19
I'm not ashamed to say that I'm up to date on every episode of MLP.

Ridley_Prime
I hear plenty people on the MLP wiki and the like actually hate the idea of this game because it ruins the morals of the show or somesuch.

lol

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I hear plenty people on the MLP wiki and the like actually hate the idea of this game because it ruins the morals of the show or somesuch.

lol

It's just a friendly sparring match. awesome

NemeBro
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime

lol Link?

Peach
...I can't decide if the existence of this is hilarious, ridiculous, or both.

I'll probably go with both.

Also, trust you guys to find it.

Nephthys
Its amazing how many times those two coincide in this fandom.

Digi
Are you a Pegasister, Peach?

Peach
I think MLP is cute (I kinda, you know, grew up playing with MLP toys, being a girl and all), but I don't think it's OMG BEST THING EVER. And a lot of aspects of the fandom for it gross me out.

However, it is quite refreshing to see a show made for young girls that is not completely insulting and doesn't pander to typical gender roles, and I wish stuff like that had existed more when I was a kid stick out tongue

Digi
That's cool. I figure it's only a matter of time before I descend into full brony. I mostly just want some company.

embarrasment

Also, She-Ra wasn't a strong role model? Or...um...I can't really think of another. Point taken.

KingD19
Lady Jaye? Arcee? Barbie?

TheAuraAngel
The Powerpuff Girls! :O

Nephthys
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzb15tTo081r2r7jpo2_250.jpg

Peach
Originally posted by TheAuraAngel
The Powerpuff Girls! :O

Didn't come until I was nearly a teenager stick out tongue I do love PPG though.

Digi
Honestly, the PPG Movie has more humor in it (for any age) than most comedies. It kicks legit ass. The show didn't have quite the same writing and production values, but was also decent, just not great for the non-kid crowd.

NemeBro
I would disagree pretty heavily.

Many PPG episodes had great writing that was very far above the standard for children's shows.

Speed Demon is probably the high point of the series IMO, at least on par with the movie. That shit legitimately gave me nightmares when I was a little mother****er.

TheAuraAngel
Originally posted by Peach
Didn't come until I was nearly a teenager stick out tongue I do love PPG though.

Still a kid. aweome

The movie was legit awesome. Did love it.

And NemeBro, the show didn't have quite the production values of the movie. But yeah, it did have good writing. Not recalling Speed Demon though. >_>

Nemesis X

Many PPG episodes had great writing that was very far above the standard for children's shows.

Speed Demon is probably the high point of the series IMO, at least on par with the movie. That shit legitimately gave me nightmares when I was a little mother****er.

You mean that episode about the girls flying so fast, they went through time into the future and saw what happened when they went on vacation, leaving their hometown defenseless? Yeah that was pretty good stuff. Thought the show was gonna be all happy happy sunshines after punching evil doers in the face but that one episode surprised me almost on Disney movie levels when it came to drama. And there were those other episodes like when Him was going all Freddy Krueger in their dreams and the other with the mad scientist that created an army of deformed clones of the PPGs. Love it when stuff gets dark. Always makes these kind of shows feel less cliche.

NemeBro
Shut up Nemesis.

But yes.

Nephthys
Him is a brilliant villain imo. That voice is epic.

The Scenario
I thought everyone already knew about this game. That's what you get for making assumptions, I guess.

I look forward to this greatly.

Digi

I don't disagree. The movie was just on a different level imo. The show was good, but there were some duds.

NemeBro
DO NOT **** WITH ME DIGI.

StyleTime
This is relevant.

http://i.imgur.com/qmzCQ.jpg

StyleTime
Originally posted by Digi
Haven't actually seen a single episode, but I do have like 4GB's worth of MLP music. I don't know if that's worse or better. Fluttershy is pretty hilarious though (from scattered youtube clips).
I didn't even know about the remixed songs. I will have to check 'em out. Fluttershy is hilarious in the show too.

This is the very first thread I've ever made in my roughly 7 years on KMC, and it's about My Little Pony. mhmm
Originally posted by Peach
And a lot of aspects of the fandom for it gross me out.

Found out about that side of the fandom a few days ago. I couldn't hear the names of Snips and Snails in the show clearly, so I googled it.....

I now understand why we have Safe Search.

Nemesis X
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-01-09-fan-made-my-little-pony-fighting-game-in-with-a-chance-of-making-it-to-evo-2013

I can see Fighting is Magic replacing at least Soul Calibur V at EVO.

BloodRawEngine
Never saw a single episode, and I can still understand the appeal of the show (not counting the fact that half of my skype/twitter chums are fans), due in part to the fact that the first clip I ever saw of the show was that scene with Fluttershy and the bear; the show doesn't let the source material get in the way of telling the jokes or stories they want to tell, while still telling it in a very openly-appealing way. That, and I always loved the whole Derpy Hooves fiasco. I'll say that this game gets more interesting the more they show of it. I'll only be disappointed if there's no Derpy.

If I see an old school-styled beat 'em up next, I'll flip.

Nemesis X
nzGkjAiuE1M

I don't care if it's free. Just shut up and take my money, Mane6!

ScreamPaste
Fluttershy looks like a complete beast. mmm

Nemesis X
Anyone who can order a bear to do a backhand slap and conjure a stampede full of pissed off falcons and porcupines with an extra grizzly should be.

ScreamPaste
Can't wait to see Rainbow Dash's move set, I'll main her, naturally.

Nemesis X
If Luna isn't in this, I'll make either Rainbow Dash my main as well or Fluttershy.

StyleTime
Rainbow Dash is the best character in this game.

We don't need to play the game to know this.

CosmicComet
Spike is. So stfu.

XanatosForever
Nice to see 'Shy's animations progress. Last time I saw her, all she could do was Stare ponies to death. Totally not broken.

Nemesis X
Hasbro has made an announcement today that the company is full of assholes. They told the Mane6 team to stop. facepalm

Bro SMASH
Well, heck, people should have known this was gonna happen. Might as well just make their own characters for this game now.

Nemesis X
How would we have known this was gonna happen? It's non-profit. It's a fan-made game like those flashes like Rainbow Runner you see on Deviantart. It's fanfiction. Hasbro should not have halted Mane6's progress. They've worked so hard. This is bullshit.

Bro SMASH
A game featuring colorful characters from a toyline and cartoon series that's aimed for kids beating the crap out of each other? Yeah...I think a lot of people aren't surprised by Hasbro's reaction.

ScreamPaste
It's hardly ultraviolent, lol. There was no blood, most of the specials were humorous, and even the moves are largely created from things the characters have done in the show.

StyleTime
Hasbro saw how awesome the game looked and decided to make their own version so they can make money.

Bro SMASH
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
It's hardly ultraviolent, lol. There was no blood, most of the specials were humorous, and even the moves are largely created from things the characters have done in the show.

Well tell that to these sensitive family friendly companies. One user on Youtube had to take down his Mushroom Kingdom Fusion game video for a while because it featured Mickey Mouse using guns.

cdtm
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Hasbro has made an announcement today that the company is full of assholes. They told the Mane6 team to stop. facepalm

I knew they'd shut them down eventually, but I was hoping we'd get some playable, complete versions first. sad Get it out to the public, and then fans can pass it around, just like with the last version of Grid Wars 2...

I don't really blame ip owners/attack dogs of ip owners, because they pretty much "have" to jump on these things or risk losing control of their property (Or so they believe, anyways. For all the bad things you can say about George Lucas, he usually either turned a blind eye, or outright encouraged, copyright infringement and he wasn't losing money over it..)

cdtm
Originally posted by StyleTime
Hasbro saw how awesome the game looked and decided to make their own version so they can make money.

Street Fighter vs Ponies: Hadoken is Magic?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Bro SMASH
A game featuring colorful characters from a toyline and cartoon series that's aimed for kids beating the crap out of each other? Yeah...I think a lot of people aren't surprised by Hasbro's reaction.

If people were so sensitive towards ponies fighting, then how come the Season 2 finale, Canterlot Wedding, didn't receive as much criticism when Twilight Sparkle and the gang went loose on those Changelings? Hell, why was there no criticism for that at all?

Well tell that to these sensitive family friendly companies. One user on Youtube had to take down his Mushroom Kingdom Fusion game video for a while because it featured Mickey Mouse using guns.

Mickey with guns is a way different story than ponies with zero intentions of killing anyone in friendly brawls, ya soccer mom.

cdtm
Originally posted by ScreamPaste

The term "Fighting Games" is enough to send warning flags to overprotective parents. Fighting games fall under the category of "violent games" (along with FPS's and TPS's) that gets used as an scapegoat for all kinds of violent behavior in kids and young adults... You can probably blame violent fighters of old like Mortal Kombat and Killer Instinct for this, as they had a ton of media exposure and nearly got banned because of the "THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN" groups.

Also, it could be Hasbro doesn't want any form of violence associated with their product, no matter how benign. Take the Burnout series as an example: It's fantastic, but no real auto makers will touch it because they don't want their cars getting mangled up in the game.

cdtm
If people were so sensitive towards ponies fighting, then how come the Season 2 finale, Canterlot Wedding, didn't receive as much criticism when Twilight Sparkle and the gang went loose on those Changelings? Hell, why was there no criticism for that at all?

The Changlings were basically insects in appearance.

Squashing a bug is different from anthropomorphic mammals going at it tooth and nail.

Or, I don't know.. Maybe Hasbro just wants to control when and where violence occurs. When your target audience is children, it's hard enough making a product that doesn't offend parents without worrying about what outside parties are doing with your ip..

Bro SMASH
Mickey with guns is a way different story than ponies with zero intentions of killing anyone in friendly brawls, ya soccer mom.

Yeah, they have no intention of killing each other...they just want to beat each other into a pulp. no expression

It's really the same thing. Come on, this is Mushroom Kingdom Fusion, a fanmade Mario game. You know Mario games are not super violent.

Nemesis X
Yeah, they have no intention of killing each other...they just want to beat each other into a pulp. no expression

Soccer. Mom.

It's just a friggin game.

You're right. He's just jumping on and killing sentient mushrooms and turtles and sometimes sliding them into the lava if not hurling fireballs at 'em in a game that hides the reality of performing such actions against plant people and animals. That's not violent. Seriously though, who gives a shit besides Hasbro? You people are overreacting too much.

Bro SMASH
Soccer. Mom.

It's just a friggin game.

You wanna try telling that to Hasbro? I'm not the one you should be telling this to.

You're right. He's just jumping on and killing sentient mushrooms and turtles and sometimes sliding them into the lava if not hurling fireballs at 'em in a game that hides the reality of performing such actions against plant people and animals. That's not violent.

Oh sure, a little colorful, cartoon action and that's too violent?

Who's overreacting now?

Seriously though, who gives a shit besides Hasbro? You people are overreacting too much.

Well duh, that's the whole point; companies overreacting. That's why this is no surprise.

Tzeentch._
Hasbro has made an announcement today that the company is full of assholes. They told the Mane6 team to stop. facepalm HAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Nemesis X
You wanna try telling that to Hasbro? I'm not the one you should be telling this to.

Well quit talking like you're backing them up then.

You see? Now you're getting it thumb up

It's an absolute fact companies overreact for the dumbest reasons but to take action against something fan made was something I didn't expect from the likes of Hasbro even when they did baffling things before in the past.

You know shit gets real when Blaxelfloss laughs.

Bro SMASH

...What? How am I talking like I'm backing them up? I'm just explaining the most likely reason for their actions.

You see? Now you're getting it thumb up

Hold up, weren't you just saying Mickey with guns is a different story? Now you're saying it's the same thing, like how I was just saying?

It's an absolute fact companies overreact for the dumbest reasons but to take action against something fan made was something I didn't expect from the likes of Hasbro even when they did baffling things before in the past.

Well that's the way companies are. They want certain images for their products. Maybe Hasbro didn't want this for their characters. In all honesty, I think you're overreacting a bit too, as the company still has a say-so and not all companies accept things like this.

Nemesis X
...What? How am I talking like I'm backing them up? I'm just explaining the most likely reason for their actions.

Well you haven't exactly agreed what Hasbro did is stupid. Sure they have a right to decide how their characters should be presented but I believe they should only have that power over their canon material and let fans do whatever they want to do outside of it whether it be parody videos or fighting games. If Hasbro doesn't know what non-canon is, they need to seriously look it up 'cause no matter what we do as a fanbase, I doubt it would hurt them at all and they're only hurting themselves fighting their own fans like this.

We're fans. We do as we damn well please provided it doesn't go against copyright laws of course.

Well if they didn't want that for their characters, they shouldn't have made a fight scene in Canterlot Wedding and I swear, if you give me that same discriminative excuse cdtm made...

cdtm

Like you said:

The thing is, you can afford to say "It's just a friggan game", because it's not your problem. Right or wrong, Hasbro can't simply ignore the reactionaries...

On the bright side, Lauren Faust tweeted her support, and offered some unique pony designs for the project, if they want them. Might be too little, too late, considering the resignations, but we'll see..

cdtm

Well if they didn't want that for their characters, they shouldn't have made a fight scene in Canterlot Wedding and I swear, if you give me that same discriminative excuse cdtm made...

How about this "excuse" then: There's a difference between Pony's fighting dehumanized changelings, and beating on each other?

The central theme is about "Friendship". Fighting tournaments doesn't work with that.

Bro SMASH
Well you haven't exactly agreed what Hasbro did is stupid. Sure they have a right to decide how their characters should be presented but I believe they should only have that power over their canon material and let fans do whatever they want to do outside of it whether it be parody videos or fighting games. If Hasbro doesn't know what non-canon is, they need to seriously look it up 'cause no matter what we do as a fanbase, I doubt it would hurt them at all and they're only hurting themselves fighting their own fans like this.

Of course, I'm not gonna agree with that. Like you just said, they have a right to decide how their characters should be represented and that's even when how fans handle them. Maybe they don't want people to be drawn to their series for something that it's not even about? Or maybe they just want to protect their property to a certain extent? There's possbilities for their actions but saying that they should let fans do whatever they want with THEIR stuff, that's kind of selfish.

We're fans. We do as we damn well please provided it doesn't go against copyright laws of course.

Which is still a very selfish act, considering that in the end, you're still using somebody elses stuff. Every company is not gonna accept stuff like that.

I personally don't mind fanfic (unless they're too different from the source they're using) but when fans like you act this way, I can't really stand by them on this.

You can't talk about anybody else making excuses when you're the one bringing up something for why a fanmade fighting game should exist.

Bro SMASH
Another possible reason could be because of the fact that people were trying to get this game into EVO, a profit-based organization.

Nemesis X
If Hasbro wanted to remove fanmade material just because they're violent and show the exact opposite of what MLP teaches us, then I wonder how the hell THIS has been around for a couple years now:

4oaYkYcYadU

Pinkie Pie using her Party Cannon to send Applejack flying and Fluttershy summoning her animal army to attack Rainbow Dash countering with an awesome Sonic Rainboom is wrong but putting somepony on a slab to dissect her is okay.

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx133/lexy_ranger/yay-fluttershy.png

Another possible reason could be because of the fact that people were trying to get this game into EVO, a profit-based organization.

They could've just told us to not take it to EVO. They didn't need to cancel the game. Two years it's been worked on and now Hasbro tells Mane6 no when they could've told 'em sooner before all this hype happened? That is a dick move.

cdtm
I felt the same way when the 3d remake of Chrono Trigger was cancelled.

The fact is, these things are always a gamble.. Especially when you draw attention to yourself.

This is surprising coming from Hasbro, though. They're usually pretty cool about this kind of thing.

ScreamPaste
The way I understand it, it threatened the value of a proper license, or something. It's a shame, but c'est la vie.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.