So, I just had a revival in interest of movies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

astarisborn94
For the past few years, I haven't really been much into movies. While I do regard them as a great source of entertainment, I was more focused on gaming and another interest that I took up thanks to the Internet; music. The latter has only escalated as time goes on and I'm sure will only continue to grow. The former on the other hand, was once my favorite type of entertainment.

Ever since I started gaming in summer, 1998, a big part of my life has revolved around video games. Mario, Gran Turismo, and so many other games gave me a happy childhood that I could be fortunate to have. Of course I did other things than video games, but that was the main source of entertainment for me.

Movies were a major secondary to me. While the movies I watched weren't exactly of the best qualities, they were ones I can say that I at least enjoyed viewing (I'm one of those people who admit to liking The Pebble and the Penguin, if only for nostalgic reasons.)

...I guess that was a major incentive for me to mostly abandon the movie scene to focus on gaming. Along with that, I recognized quickly that getting games was going to be difficult due to how much they cost. Nowadays, they cost $50-$60. Perhaps not as bad as SNES games cost, but it's still plenty expensive if you're taking it as a hobby. Then I realized as I bought games, I spent less and less time on them. Even great games just didn't interest me much. I slowly but surely came to the conclusion that gaming isn't for me and that there are other things I would prefer to do aside from being a video game designer.

This dwindling interest in gaming has left me depressed. I was really hoping with Super Smash Bros. 4 announcement back in June of last year that it would spark back that interest. But having heard of recent development that we may not see any information for possibly up until E3 2013, it has left me very discouraged to follow it.

Now my interest has hit an all-time low and within a few years, I may no longer care about the gaming scene. Sad and depressed, while in school, I got on my phone, and on Smashboards (where I used to post), I said I would leave forever. I neglected to tell them the real reason; that I had lost interest in gaming and was pursuing a new hobby.

I decided to look at the movie scene, a major secondary source of entertainment for me when I was a child. Obviously, there are a lot of garbage to wade through, but then again, the same could be said for gaming. What I also recognized was a large library of movies that I desired to get, one that may stretch for many years. Not only that, at my house, I already have many movies that my grandparents have along with VHS I have. Not to mention, I have a PS3 with capabilities to play DVD and Blu-Ray movies and a TV that can play VHS, which gives me a nearly limitless potential library to have.

Theaters is another options I can pursue as well. I saw War Horse on the 1st of this month and I found it to be quite good. So I'm considering following the movie theater scene.

There is also another movie that I want to talk about that could very well be an influence into my adult life; Schindler's List. I've seen it only once (my grand mother bought me a DVD of it), but I have to say, this is truly a story that can't be taken in entirely once. You need to be able to view it a few times before you understand the full picture. But while you're doing it, you are immersed in the story and the character in it. Oskar Schindler's, the protagonist, could also have a positive influence on me. It shows that a human, no matter how flawed he may be, can indeed do justice on this world and save the lives of others. If a man, known for his greedy attitudes and willful cheating on women before being the savior of 1,100 Jew can change, there's no reason why someone can't break out of being addicted to the Internet and become successful. I'm planning to watch it again Monday as it's among one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Here are some movies that I'm interested in getting:

Flesh and the Devil (1926)
Gone with the Wind (1939)
Ben-Hur (1959)
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? (1967)
The Godfather (1972)
The Exorcist (1973)
The Godfather Part Two (1974)
Jaws (1975)
Saturday Night Fever (1976)
Star Wars IV: A New Hope (1977) (VHS, NOT the ones with the new effects)
Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977)
Grease (1978)
Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980) (VHS, NOT the ones with the new effects)
The Secret of NIMH (1982)
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (1982)
Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi (1983) (VHS, NOT the ones with the new effects)
Ghostbuster (1984)
The Color Purple (1985)
An American Tails (1986)
Dirty Dancing (1987)
The Land Before Time (1988)
An American Tails: Fievel Goes West (1991)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Bruce Almighty (2003)

Some are these to finally be able to see these films for the first time (Pulp Fiction), others are due to nostalgia (An American Tail: Fievel Goes West). The first movie I plan to get out of that is An American Tails. I would also love to see Gold Diggers of Broadway (1929 version), but that one is partially lost, so that one won't happen. As for movies coming soon, I'm not really aware of many, but the Dark Knight Rising may interest me.

Anyway, it's nice to see you all. Hopefully, this will be a great place to discuss films with everyone.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.