Why did Luke Skywalker marry?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
I've heard that Luke fell in love got married, but isn't forbidden for Jedi to fall in love & marry? And after what happened to his father, wouldn't Obi Wan Yoda & even Anakin himself worn Luke that it's not a good idea?

DARTH POWER
Maybe because the old ways were flawed so different teaching were needed for Jedi now, or maybe because EU is not written by Lucas! Lol

queeq
And this is an EU topic. MOVING.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by queeq
And this is an EU topic. MOVING.
Oh Blast it! Your right!

Lord Lucien
Anakin did fall due to love, he fell due to obsession and greed. He craved power, by his own admission. Half the reason he wanted a promotion to Master was to get his hands on restricted holocrons. Luke was a better person than his father, he didn't possess such desires.

Batman-Prime
He got married because that B!tch Forced him to! big grin

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
He got married because that B!tch Forced him to! big grin

They all wana get married! So they can harass you long time.. B!tches be crazy!

RE: Blaxican
He got married because who wouldn't want to marry Mara Jade? She's the best and most competent female in the series.

Lord Lucien
She's also a smokin' hot cartoon red head. It's like doing Jessica Rabbit, only without feeling that you're with a horribly disproportioned STD dump.

Darth Truculent
During his training, Yoda made mentions about the Jedi code and the part where Jedi are forbidden from love. But Yoda, began to somewhat believe that some of the teachings were flawed - especially that part. Luke established the New Jedi Order and he kind of 'rewrote' the rule book.

The last Jedi to fall to the dark side due to love was Jacen. If you want to call it that because of Allana. He was willing to do anything to protect her.

Nephthys
Actually he fell to the dark side because he looked into the future and saw that if he didn't Luke would die (and iirc that the galaxy would get butt****ed). Thats why Betrayal is the best of LotF: Because Jacen is still a good person who will sacrifice his own purity for the good of others. At this point I was actually rooting for Jacen because I really liked him as a character.

He just starts to justify his crazy, totalitarian policies later by saying that he's 'doing it to make the galaxy a safe place for Allana.' Which is a lie because he specifically works to prevent a peace-treaty at one point. A few books in he goes completely loony, gains +50 Self-Delusion points with his Sith Upgrade and he becomes comically corrupt. I didn't bother finishing the series after that point.

Q99
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
I've heard that Luke fell in love got married, but isn't forbidden for Jedi to fall in love & marry?

Luke runs his order. The rules are what he says they are.

Most of the problems there were it being a secret, forbidden marriage and Anakin's issues and his visions of Padme dying.

focus4chumps
i always subscribed to the theory that the old republic jedi were flawed in having zero trust in terms of love, which is arguably a form of possession.

"the force is strong in your family. pass on what you have learned"

while it can be argued with equal validity that yoda only meant that luke would train his sister, i always had the suspicion that yoda was suggesting that him and leah both continue their bloodlines and raise jedi masters. isnt that nicer than for them both to die virgins?

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by focus4chumps
isnt that nicer than for them both to die virgins?

You're assuming they were still Virgins stick out tongue

Arhael
Luke married because he understood the power of love. It was father's love for his child that redeemed Darth Vader.

Anakin became Vader not because of love but because he had to keep it secret. If he shared that knowledge about his relationship and nightmares with Order, he would not fall to dark-side as he would get advice and guidance. So it is flaw of Old Order rules. Anakin's mistake was to keep this information secret even from Obi-Wan. How couldn't he realize that Kenobi would help and support him regardless?

Same with Jacen. He wanted to keep better future for Alana but he decided to keep her existence secret even from family. It was his biggest mistake to distance from his family.

So the problem is in trusting. If someone doesn't trust and hide things, then he becomes vulnerable to influence of other sources.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Arhael
Luke married because he understood the power of love. And that power was exactly 88 MPH:

VkAVfsw5xSQ

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.