Big Budget disaters

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Augeybana
Oaky most movies suck(not all) but tell me movies that had big budgets but wasn't enough to make you like it

1)Titanic-yeah a million girls like it but 5 hours worth of crap.

2)wild wild west-a Will smith dissapointment I did't think a Will Smith and Kevin Klein movie can suck

3)Water World-Good beganing good ending, but terrible middle worthless

mah
titanic was great.

wild wild west sucked yeah

GordonSkywalker
Ah yes. My former apprentice liked to watch both Titanic and Pearl Harbour- usually at my house.

Thomas H
Cuttroad Island is the biggest big budget flop ever..its costed about 90 million dollars, and only earned 11 million on the bo...

All in all, I liked the movie..
Titanic was ok
Pearl Harbor was superb
Wild wild west...well never seen it...

ToMacco
I think WaterWorld was the biggest flop.

BackFire349
adventures of pluto nash.

ToMacco
ha ha

Oh god, was that movie bad. Poor Eddie Murphy.

Tex
The Fifth Element

ToMacco
Dancer in the Dark

BackFire349
i liked pluto nash. dancer in the dark wasnt bad, just it starred that reall untalented eskimo woman.

Thomas H
ahahah

and Cuttroad island is the biggest flop ever...Waterworld earnd an estiamted 90 million just in the US!"

BackFire349
pluto nash is, it made a profit of negative 90 million dollars.

Thomas H
so did cuttroad island...may be pluto is worse...I think it grossed a medicore 4 million!

Augeybana
No actually the worst movie in budgets numbers is Final Fantasy the spirit within is the worst with a budget of $174 million and and it made only 74 million thats a negative 99 million.

BackFire349
74 million isnt bad, pluto nash made about 2 million in theaters.

Thomas H
indeed...74 million is good, remember the do earn money out side the states....and there are also VHS/DVD sales, and rentals..

Tex
Bitches

Thomas H
hehehehe....

Tex
Another big budget disaster:

Gone in 60 Seconds

Thomas H
ehhh no.....

It earnd 125 million...and thats far over its bufget...but I guess that this as ironi..or what tex?

Ushgarak
Gone in 60 Seconds... if there is one thing I hate, it is a film that makes me think that most of it was a waste of time for NO intelligent reason.

We are told they can't just go kill Christopher Ecclestone because he is too damn scary and hard. So they go through that whole charade of car stealing. Then Chris tells them that wasn't good enough. So then... they kill him.

What the heck was THAT? They may as well have just done that from the start! The whole plot of the film achieved nothing!

Thomas H
its a cool movie...you have to like it a bit a since you know the bad boys name...big grin

Tex
I dont care if it did make lots of money, its still a disaster in every sense of the wordstick out tongue

BackFire349
it was entertaining.

Augeybana
even though $74 million better thAN pluto nash $4 million final fantasy cost much more to make it sadly.

Captain REX
Gone in 60 Seconds was one of those movies where people just watch in for the blood and bruising.

How much did Bladerunner get? It didn't seem all that great, though it was okay, and the future seemed super-apocolyptic.

Tex
Bladerunner was a major financial flop, it was a movie before its time.

Thomas H
My God, is this for true backfire... eek! Happy Dance

Bad Boy
What I find strange is that despite being a flop, nearly everyone has seen Waterworld!

LanceWindu
Cutthroat Island

Waterworld

Wild Wild West

Ushgarak
Bladerunner wasn't super-Apocalyptic at all; civilisation was thriving, it was just all rather gloomy. Great film...

GordonSkywalker
What do you think of "Star Trek V:The Final Frontier?" This was directed and co-written by Shatner himself yet is considered the worst ever in that film series! I saw this on Opening Night, June 9, 1989 here in town and absolutely loved it!!

Thomas H
star trek sucks!

GordonSkywalker
Fighting words, my friend! Prepare to defend yourself!(takes out lightsaber and turns it on...)

Ushgarak
The Final Frontier? What would God want with a starship? Geez, Nemesis was more fun than that film...

GordonSkywalker
I happen to like that film! At least it's plot is not predicated on earlier(or later) films! I also like Generations and Insurrection.

Captain REX
That's what I meant. big grin

Despite the flop, it wasn't that bad. It was a semi-futuristic cop film after all.

GordonSkywalker
Has anyone here seen the earlier Next Generation films?

Captain REX
Next Generation? As in Star Trek?!

*unsheaths sword and ignites lightsaber*

GET HIM!!!

GordonSkywalker
I warn you, I can defend myself! (Lightsaber in hand, poised and waiting)

Captain REX
I can find ways to get past that...

*has army of Sith ignite lightsabers*

Anyway, back on topic...

GordonSkywalker
Ok...how about Cheech and Chong movies?

Augeybana
I don't those movies made any money...I never onced laughed in any of those movies of cheech and chong

GordonSkywalker
The so-called "plots" were pathetic,to say the least.

Augeybana
the first one about them being funny crackheads wasn't a classic compared to Half baked.

Ushgarak
They were neither big budget (clearly) nor disasters (popular enough for a franchise) so not really covered by this thread.

BackFire349
they do suck though. how many movies can be made about generic and repetive drug jokes and cliches?

Thomas H
takes up minigun and blasts you to another galaxy!

BackFire349
ouch.

Thomas H
sould hurt that one!

GordonSkywalker
As for the topic at hand, would The Abyss or Total Recall count as big budgeted disasters?I seem to recall a lot of $ was put into them, but I don't know if they can truly be classified as "disasters".

BackFire349
they're known as classics, so no they arent disasters.

Thomas H
total recal made a good 100 mill in the Us

the abyss made about 70 mill in the US...so Gordon...no budget disaster...!

Augeybana
How much did abyss and total recal cost,just because they made money doesn't mean they did good.

Ushgarak
Doesn't it? I think you will find that if a movie MAKES money then it has done just fine...

Augeybana
Well Final Fantasy The Spirits within made about $74 million in the U.S.A but it cost $150 million.That bad for the studio.

Thomas H
that is bad business...but still they probably earnd everytihng back in video/dvd sales and rentals...

Ushgarak
Augey, then that movie didn't make money, did it? It LOST money...

Thomas H
well as I said...it earnd a lot on sales!

Ushgarak
If a movie 'makes' money it has made profit.

Thomas H
yes and it did on VHS/DVD sales for Christsake..and dont try to teach me up on how the box office system works...because i know it too well already!

GordonSkywalker
A most intriguing discussion. I happen to agree with both augey and Thomas H. There is such a thing as a financial flop in the moviemaking industry. Regardless of how much $ is put into a film, if it doesn't at least "break even" it is considered a disaster and a failure. And as for money made through video and dvd sales, that is something else entirely.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.