Looking back on the Superhero Registration Act

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

srankmissingnin
It's been a little while since Siege ended, and Steve had the President repeal the SRA, and I have to say I feel like Marvel really fell short and didn't capitalize on the potential of this story line.

The idea of Superheroes being held accountable for their actions, the people they hurt, and the collateral damage they cause, opens the doors to a lot of potentially interesting stories... but Marvel never really showed us the system in action. What we got instead was a lot of fights between Unregistered Heroes and Registered ones... we never saw the actual system in action. That is a real missed opportunity. We never got to see any of the registered heroes struggling to do their jobs with all the red tap and bureaucracy tying them down. We never saw and heroes held accountable for what they do while fighting crime. We never got to see an Internal Affairs type regulatory body trying to take down "dirty" superheroes. How awesome would have been to have a The Shield (the tv show) type book, only focused on super heroes? Imagine Batroc getting set free because Cap took him down with "excessive force", or a regulatory body trying to throw the book at Wolverine for questionable murders and failing to get warrants.

It's really disappointing looking at all the missed opportunities, I feel there is some potential there for some great stories that we haven't really seen a hundred times before... it's a shame what we ended up with amounted to virtually nothing.

Juntai
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
It's been a little while since Siege ended, and Steve had the President repeal the SRA, and I have to say I feel like Marvel really fell short and didn't capitalize on the potential of this story line.

The idea of Superheroes being held accountable for their actions, the people they hurt, and the collateral damage they cause, opens the doors to a lot of potentially interesting stories... but Marvel never really showed us the system in action. What we got instead was a lot of fights between Unregistered Heroes and Registered ones... we never saw the actual system in action. That is a real missed opportunity. We never got to see any of the registered heroes struggling to do their jobs with all the red tap and bureaucracy tying them down. We never saw and heroes held accountable for what they do while fighting crime. We never got to see an Internal Affairs type regulatory body trying to take down "dirty" superheroes. How awesome would have been to have a The Shield (the tv show) type book, only focused on super heroes? Imagine Batroc getting set free because Cap took him down with "excessive force", or a regulatory body trying to throw the book at Wolverine for questionable murders and failing to get warrants.

It's really disappointing looking at all the missed opportunities, I feel there is some potential there for some great stories that we haven't really seen a hundred times before... it's a shame what we ended up with amounted to virtually nothing. The Civil War became just a launchpad for the Death of Cap, WWH, and the return of Thor. Other than that, it was a lot of nonsensical fights. It was a big disappointment, that first issue of Civil War got me to collect a handful of Marvel comics at the time based on the ideas it was promising, and I fairly quickly dropped most of them at around the year mark due to lost interest because of bad handling of the event. So many of the characters were acting so 'out of character' to me, and the relationships between the heros were often handled incredibly poor too, outside of a few instances. In the end it was a big money grab and it worked for them in that manner.

What you described above and some other stuff is what I was hoping for, and a bit of lasting reflection within the universe, and all I got was a shining example that political stuff doesn't work in ongoing universe superhero books.

Igniz
Originally posted by srankmissingnin

It's really disappointing looking at all the missed opportunities, I feel there is some potential there for some great stories that we haven't really seen a hundred times before... it's a shame what we ended up with amounted to virtually nothing.

This post gives the Idea of a what if?

WhiteWitchKing
Originally posted by Igniz
This post gives the Idea of a what if?

A Mini What If event maybe or 10 book series book not event style.

Bouboumaster
The idea was great, but they failed to deliever.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.