The Fantastic Four Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Merlyn
I couldn't find a topic for this (which blew my mind, tbh.)

Anyway here you can talk about what's going on currently in the world of F4, talk about your favorite older arcs, talk about which member you think is 'teh coolest'... As long as it pertains to the Fantastic Four you can post whatever you want!

http://s3d3.turboimagehost.com/t1/11012404_fantastic4logo-nobg.jpg

Galan007
Imo, FF has been one of the consistently best comics Marvel is currently publishing.

I am quite curious to see how Franklin's older self handles the Celestials...

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Galan007
Imo, FF has been one of the consistently best comics Marvel is publishing, atm.

thumb up

Bentley
Yep, it's one of the good titles, and not only because Galan is biased towards Hickman stick out tongue

Cogito
thumb up

1000x adult Franklin vs. battles incoming

Digi
We do have an FF thread somewhere, but meh.

Galan007
Originally posted by Cogito
thumb up

1000x adult Franklin vs. battles incoming Absolutely. He'll be the next 'teh uber GOD' of KMC for a few weeks, then fizzle out.

He is powerful, though. We've already seen the fella gesturely create pocket realities for the lulz.

abhilegend
It was good for a time but hickman bores me now.

Galan007
^ Think Hickman's F4 has been pretty solid the entire time. I liked Millar's run a bit more, but Hickman is right up there, imo.

JakeTheBank
Hickman's run is awesome. I think my favorite though, is Waid's.

Galan007
No love for McDuffie, eh? uhuh

JakeTheBank
Ha ha, I enjoyed it, cosmic armbars aside. But to be honest, I liked virtually almost every issue of F4 since Heroes Return.

Galan007
You know, that's a good point.

F4 has been pumping out issues for so long that it's easy to forget how consistently good it has been as a whole... Especially over the last 10 (or so) years.

JakeTheBank
Agreed. Which is a shame, because most people pass it up in favor of either the X-Men or Avengers, but really, the F4 have been one of Marvel's best, if not the best, team book for years.

Galan007
^ Yup. And that really goes to show you how good the storytelling has been in that title. Aside from Reed, the powers the F4 possess are pretty weak in comparison to pretty much any other 'well known' team. However, the stories/events they've consistently been involved in over the years have been so enjoyable that they supersede the weaksauce powersets of the F4... Which equates to superb writing.

Existere
It's probably because their powers are both largely consistent and relatively mid-powered/weak that the F4 team book is capable of such consistently high quality. Storylines don't get too lost in a lot of the flashy bullshit that derails so many potentially good stories.

Galan007
thumb up

Bentley
Which is cool considering Franklin is a reality warper and all stick out tongue

Konton
Low power levels? Lol.

Reed is a techno-gadget-god, Sue fights Celestials, and the kids are walking plot devices.

Bouboumaster
IMO, it's the second best book from Marvel only behind UXF

Galan007
Originally posted by Konton
Low power levels? Lol.

Reed is a techno-gadget-god, Sue fights Celestials, and the kids are walking plot devices. Aside from Reed, the other original members of the F4 (Ben, Sue, Johnny) historically HAVE had pretty low power levels, in comparison to many other 'mainstream' teams...

JakeTheBank
Aside from Reed, the other original members of the F4 (Ben, Sue, Johnny) historically HAVE had pretty low power levels, in comparison to many other 'mainstream' teams...

thumb up

JakeTheBank
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=55706

Damn. I'm curious as to who will take over F4 after Hickman and whether or not Hickman will take over the Avengers line.

Galan007
Well done, Hickman. Well done. salute

Konton
Aside from Reed, the other original members of the F4 (Ben, Sue, Johnny) historically HAVE had pretty low power levels, in comparison to many other 'mainstream' teams...

I don't know about that. They may have been weak upon conception (especially Sue), but Sue has been able to send Hulk through walls and contain nuclear explosions with minimal strain for a loooong time. The FF strikes me as more powerful than, say, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men team sans Emma.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=55706

Damn. I'm curious as to who will take over F4 after Hickman and whether or not Hickman will take over the Avengers line. Please don't be Pak or Loeb... please don't be Pak or Loeb

****. It's going to be Pak or Loeb... I just know it. sad

Wangslap
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Please don't be Pak or Loeb... please don't be Pak or Loeb

****. It's going to be Pak or Loeb... I just know it. sad

Bendis....... Gruenwald......... Byrne..........

AlmightyKfish
FF #16 was awesome.

Especially the ending.
As always Doom prevails

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by AlmightyKfish
As always Doom prevails

Indeed. thumb up

Bentley
Next arc will be about Doom begging for help wink

Galan007
Man, F4 is all over the place. In one issue we have Reed/Franklin dealing with cosmic-type issues. In the next issue we are back to earth dealing with Wakanda and Egyptian Gods.

umm

vansonbee
Man, F4 is all over the place. In one issue we have Reed/Franklin dealing with cosmic-type issues. In the next issue we are back to earth dealing with Wakanda and Egyptian Gods.

umm Is that a bad thing? Its still under the same author right?

I really like the new issue art style. It made Storm & Sue more busty than normal! smile

I guess there should of been a transitional issue between the two? Maybe a few months has pass since Franklin fought the Celetials etc..?

HueyFreeman

umm Its a little weird but we are probably close to the deaths of the future franklin and valerie. But I think one comic is the fantastic four and the other is the Future Foundation which of course means their stories will crossover with each issue.

Galan007
Originally posted by vansonbee
Is that a bad thing? Its still under the same author right?

I really like the new issue art style. It made Storm & Sue more busty than normal! smile

I guess there should of been a transitional issue between the two? Maybe a few months has pass since Franklin fought the Celetials etc..? Some kind of transition would've made it a little more seamless..

Don't really care though. Hickman is doing an amazing job with F4/FF.

Bentley
Both arcs were enjoyable imo, but three panels to pass from one to another would've been ideal. Nice depiction of Wakanda too, we are sorely lacking a BP mini -hope he joins FF, the Defenders or something-.

Galan007
^ It was weird because not even the "Previously on F4" summary page mentioned any of the recent happenings. All it mentioned were events from Doomwar.

Kinda bizarre, imo.

Bentley
If it wasn't for the new artist one would thing it was a filler episode done beforehand stick out tongue

Galan007
Hickman's final issue of F4 was excellent. Man, I'm going to miss his work. sad

HueyFreeman
Hickman's final issue of F4 was excellent. Man, I'm going to miss his work. sad Doom really knows how to **** up a good thing.

Bentley
To be fair, it is Doom.

But great story, I take my hat off for Hickman, he didn't leave because of lack of greatness.

JakeTheBank

His work on the Avengers franchise is likely going to make their flagship title go to new heights if his work on F4/FF and SHIELD are any indicator.

Galan007
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
Doom really knows how to **** up a good thing. Meh, being God was beneath him.

TheGodKiller
Nope, Hickman's work will truly be done once the last FF issue comes out in Oct 24 .Can't wait for him to deliver on his promise of delivering more in the way of Franklin's powers .

After that day is over, Fraction's arrival can best be described by Future Valeria's forewarning to Sue in F4 # 582 . The coming of dark days that is .

On a sidenote, Hickman essentially killed of a potentially great storyline in the span of one issue . I am some future writer could have picked up "Parliament of Doom" and expanded upon it pretty well from there . Guess that'll never happen since the PoD are now essentially trapped in that Science/Magic amalgamated universe .

TheGodKiller
Btw ,loved that line from Valeria: "Here I can build" .

She truly is Reed's daughter and Doom's goddaughter . Its almost as if she was Doom and Reed's Superboy analogue to Lex and Kal .

Galan007
Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Nope, Hickman's work will truly be done once the last FF issue comes out in Oct 24 . Like I said, it was Hickman's last F4 issue, and I'll miss his work one that title. FF is a completely different series.

On a sidenote, Hickman essentially killed of a potentially great storyline in the span of one issue . I am some future writer could have picked up "Parliament of Doom" and expanded upon it pretty well from there . Guess that'll never happen since the PoD are now essentially trapped in that Science/Magic amalgamated universe . It can still (and likely will) be expanded on in the future-- Doom's universe will always be out there waiting to be explored, after all. On top of that, considering each of its monarchs (of whom are likely very powerful in their own right, considering they were spawned from Doom's own image, and took the IG from him by force) now have an infinity gem, it is undoubtedly one of the more dangerous universes out there-- and a very real potential threat.

TheGodKiller
Like I said, it was Hickman's last F4 issue, and I'll miss his work one that title. FF is a completely different series.
Yeah right . Although if his interviews are any indication, Fraction'll probably try not to mess up the F4 .

It can still (and likely will) be expanded on in the future-- Doom's universe will always be out there waiting to be explored, after all. On top of that, considering each of its monarchs (of whom are likely very powerful in their own right, considering they were spawned from Doom's own image, and took the IG from him by force) now have an infinity gem, it is undoubtedly one of the more dangerous universes out there-- and a very real potential threat.
Agree to disagree here . I doubt that any future story-teller is going to bother delving into the alternate universe business , just to expand upon a storyline that Hickman himself essentially wrapped up in 2 or 3 issues .

Galan007
Agree to disagree here . I doubt that any future story-teller is going to bother delving into the alternate universe business , just to expand upon a storyline that Hickman himself essentially wrapped up in 2 or 3 issues . Hickman didn't wrap the story up... If anything, he expanded it a LOT more. Now there is a full-blown alternate universe out there that is shaped in Doom's own image, and the beings in control of this universe each possess an infinity gem. There is no doubt in my mind that another writer will expand on said universe in future issues-- Hickman certainly isn't the only writer that likes to explore alternate universes.

TheGodKiller
^Originally posted by TheGodKiller
Agree to disagree here .

Bentley
It is silly to say he killed the story, he created the story in one issue. Have you read Fantastic Four? Is has always delved into different alternate universes. Mark my words: this will come back much sooner than expected.

Kazenji
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
His work on the Avengers franchise is likely going to make their flagship title go to new heights if his work on F4/FF and SHIELD are any indicator.

What did you think Secret Warriors?

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by Kazenji
What did you think Secret Warriors?

I liked the writing, but I wasn't really interested in some of the characters to keep up with buying the book.

-----

Also, thoughts on Fraction's F4 and FF runs so far?

I'm liking both a lot more than I thought I would, which is a pleasant surprise. It's pretty clear he's definitely more suited to books like F4/FF and Invincible Iron Man than say, his Thor or X-Men runs. FF actually makes me laugh out loud at times and F4 has always kept me interested. It's not as engaging or meticulously planned out as Hickman's run, but still pretty fun.

Branlor Swift
I hate to say it but both of Fraction's F4s are god damned genius.

F4 with the right amounts of F4 cheese. And FF with things that actually make me laugh along with great writing.

It's just, I don't know how he did it. Though I still don't want him to touch Galactus... for obvious reasons, but still.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
I hate to say it but both of Fraction's F4s are god damned genius.

F4 with the right amounts of F4 cheese. And FF with things that actually make me laugh along with great writing.

It's just, I don't know how he did it. Though I still don't want him to touch Galactus... for obvious reasons, but still.

What in the story do you like? What threats have the FF been facing?

Branlor Swift
Originally posted by Golgo13
What in the story do you like? What threats have the FF been facing? The regular F4 have been traveling through time. They went to Rome, other planets, the big bang, etc. The regular F4 haven't really faced anything too major other than their powers killing them. Though Franklin disposed of Blastaar.

The others have mostly been a quirky adventure book. Random villains, Blastaar. A lot to do with the kids, and a little to do with Dr Doom. Future Human Torch. The last issue had Impossible Man and his kid as well. And the issue before that had Fraction and Tom B in it. This one is a lot less serious, and it's actually fun to read

I'd recommend reading both series. Read 1, and then the other same numbered issue if you're going to read though. Though they don't really intercept outside a few instances so that doesn't matter.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Branlor Swift
The regular F4 have been traveling through time. They went to Rome, other planets, the big bang, etc. The regular F4 haven't really faced anything too major other than their powers killing them. Though Franklin disposed of Blastaar.

The others have mostly been a quirky adventure book. Random villains, Blastaar. A lot to do with the kids, and a little to do with Dr Doom. Future Human Torch. The last issue had Impossible Man and his kid as well. And the issue before that had Fraction and Tom B in it. This one is a lot less serious, and it's actually fun to read

I'd recommend reading both series. Read 1, and then the other same numbered issue if you're going to read though. Though they don't really intercept outside a few instances so that doesn't matter.

thumb up Thanks, I have been meaning to get into FF stuff. Probably should read the adult Franklin stuff first.

JayDaDon
^Recently finished the Hickman run on FF. Man epic doesn't even begin to describe it. I'd say that's not a bad place to start.

Kazenji
How has Fractions run been going?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.