STAR WARS: RETROSPECTION- Theft at Electric Court

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

REXXXX
Crzkz

A tour group is being led through the famous historical wing of the Electric Court, where the Crzkzi keep their most precious artifacts. In typical Crzkzi fashion, each artifact is not kept behind a glass barrier, but a ray shield that prevents the natural electromagnetism from degrading the objects. It is helpful that said ray shields also keep unwanted hands away from the objects, too

The tour group is guided by an older Crzkzi who is rambling about the historical significance of the Electric Court's Remembrance Hall, where they are currently touring. The Crzkzi leads the group past a row of priceless hand-soddered crowns, not acknowledging a single one and letting the tourists gawk all they please.

One tourist in particular seems very interested by the Sapphire of the Bolt, a gem formed from a powerful lightning strike somewhere out in the planet's gloomy deserts.

She smiles and, using a small device, snaps several pictures of the Remembrance Hall, and of the Sapphire, and of the equipment that secures it. She quickly moves on to stay with the group after, unnoticed.

-

Welcome to "Theft at the Electric Court," a game from the Retrospection series. These games are meant to provide a fun plot based upon the backgrounds of player characters, while giving players themselves a chance to gain experience- both in points and in practice with the system. This time, Retrospection takes a look at Gallagher Klinge-Faust, son of the Thespian Senator and a boy remarkably strong in the Force.

Much of Gallagher's history is accounted for, as he became entangled with Sienar's plot on Thespia at a young age, spent time healing from the outcome of that, and then joined up with the Jedi mission to protect Viceroy Nute Gunray of the Trade Federation. He is still quite young, especially to be a Jedi Knight and training a Padawan, D'an.

But there are some stories to tell in Gallagher's youth, in the early days of his training with Master Korth. Especially when they are sent to Crzkz to speak with its leader concerning alternative energy...

REXXXX
Coruscant

Gallagher- while using the Force offensively has never been a strong point for you, using it to simply affect the world around you is almost easier than walking. You are levitating small objects, trying to precisely control their movements with your mind, when Master Korth enters your practice room. The distraction causes you to momentarily waver in your focus on the objects, and they nearly drop. You catch them swiftly.

"Sorry for the interruption, Gallagher," says Master Korth.

Alkaselzer
"It's okay, Master," Gallgher says. "I was just practicing."

Gallagher will Scan his mentor, trying to read his intentions and emotions before he states his reason for being here.

Gallagher is how old, exactly?

REXXXX
Gallagher is very young. We'll leave it vague for the moment. 10-ish.

"You are strong for your age," Master Korth observes. "Most students are still working on the concept of getting objects to move at all."

Alkaselzer
"It seems easy enough," Gallagher says, simply. "Can I help others learn? Though I feel like you and all the other Masters probably have that down."

REXXXX
"I would leave that to the Masters for now," Korth chuckles. "We don't want other students becoming jealous because someone younger than them is naturally talented with the Force."

Korth sits down beside you and begins to levitate some blocks himself.

"So. We've spent a lot of time here in the Temple. How do you feel about leaving it for some time?"

Alkaselzer
Gallagher watches how easily Korth can levitate the blocks.

"I haven't done that very often," Gallagher says. "I've really just been focusing on my studies here, I guess. Why do you ask?"

REXXXX
"The Council has a diplomatic assignment for me," Master Korth says. "I want you to come with me."

Alkaselzer
Gallagher is excited at the prospect. He has left the Temple before and probably been to a few other worlds, but nothing like an assignment from the Council.

"Where are we going?" Gallagher asks.

REXXXX
"The planet Crzkz," Master Korth says. "The Senate is attempting to negotiate with the planet regarding their renewable energy technology, which is highly advanced. They wish for a Jedi to attend the negotiations, to ensure that things go smoothly. The Crzkzi can be a little... confrontation."

Alkaselzer
"How so?" Gallagher asks.

Does he know anything about Crzkz or its inhabitants?

REXXXX
Just that they have very little interaction with the rest of the Galaxy and are highly evolved.

"They are very protective of their creations," Master Korth explains.

Alkaselzer
"Violently protective?" Gallagher asks, slightly nervous. He has not seen much combat aside from practices in the Temple, with droids and his Master.

REXXXX
"Only if brought to that point," Master Korth says. "They wouldn't have need to be with us. We are simply going to help reason with them. I wouldn't expect too many fireworks.

"I can sense your nervousness," Korth notes.

Alkaselzer
"Sorry, Master," Gallagher says.

REXXXX
"No need to be apologetic," Korth says with a smile. "Your nervousness is understandable. You have not left Coruscant before and you are being brought into a strange situation."

Alkaselzer
"This is true," Gallagher says. He ponders about himself and his powers and his skills briefly, knowing that his a novice. He looks to the Force for strength and confidence, knowing that despite his young age, the energy field flows through him freely.

"I am ready if you believe me to be, Master Korth," Gallagher tells the old mentor. "I will do this."

REXXXX
Master Korth smiles reassuringly.

"It will be a good experience for you," Korth insists. "Your first travel abroad will be to monitor a tense political situation, one where a war of words is likely but not armed conflict. I would rather this be your first experience of the Galaxy than something too docile, or too violent. A happy medium."

Korth pats your shoulder.

"Return to your meditations and whatever else you had planned for your day. We leave tomorrow. Get a good night's rest, Padawan Faust."

Alkaselzer
Gallagher nods and returns to his meditations, catching the objects that Korth leaves behind when he departs the room. He will meditate on what this new adventure will mean for him and how it will contribute to his career as a Jedi Knight. He never chose this career but understands that he was destined to follow this path from the moment he was born. He wonders how his parents feel about this.

(I assume he hasn't met them yet.)

REXXXX
It is not until the murders on Thespia that Gallagher comes into contact with his family (as far as I am aware).

Much of your time is spent on meditations and practicing your skills here in the Temple. The Masters are keenly aware of your potential and want you to take advantage of your gifts.

Unfortunately this means that Gallagher does not do a whole lot else. You probably do not have many close friends at this point in time.

Alkaselzer
That is kind of sad... but Gallagher was always kind of the studious type. Just not in an academic way, more metaphysical because of his abilities.

REXXXX
Precisely.

Alkaselzer
Well what friends does Gallagher have at this point? Most of the other players are older than Gallagher, much older. But surely he has made some connections.

REXXXX
You have had a hard time getting close to anyone in particular, with the exception of Master Korth. Students with aspirations similar to yours tend to be as reclusive as you are.

Alkaselzer
Hmm. Is there anyone besides Korth that Gallagher talks to regularly? Not necessarily a friend, just anyone.

REXXXX
Some members of the Jedi Council have had occasional discussions with you. You find it difficult to get time with them.

Master Korth has some limited access to the Jedi Archives, as do you at this stage in your training. More often than not you find yourself holed up in your quarters with old texts regarding the Force and Jedi history.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will go to the Archives and do some reading about Czrkr.

REXXXX
Crzkz actually received quite a lot of attention from the Jedi Order when it was first discovered, according to the files you find. The Crzkzi themselves have some unique alien traits that the Order researched quite extensively.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will read on. What kind of 'alien traits' did the Order take interest in?

REXXXX
The Crzkzi each have a sort of natural electromagnetic field that they can manipulate. The Jedi Order was curious about its relation to the Force.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher wants to read more about that, then. What did the studies conclude?

REXXXX
It depends on your point of view. Some would say that everything about everything is the will of the Force. In a strict scientific sense (or as much as one can be with mystic energy fields), it is a combination of organs that help the Crzkzi manipulate their electromagnetism and a very mild connection to the Force.

The Crzkzi have never produced a Jedi, though.

Alkaselzer
Interesting. Why is that? Any reason for it?

REXXXX
Aside from their connection being very mild, the Crzkzi are very possessive of their people and their culture. They have never permitted any of their kind to be trained by the Jedi Order.

Indeed, they never actually train anyone in the Force. It is forbidden except for a very small minority to which it is permitted.

Alkaselzer
Again, interesting. How do they feel about the Jedi?

REXXXX
Neutral to small respect. The Crzkzi recognize that the Jedi are somehow connected to them and understand their purpose in the Galaxy.

Alkaselzer
So they don't hate us outright. That's good.

Master Korth said they had advanced technology. What do they usually produce?

REXXXX
You are already aware that they have recently produced an advanced renewable power source that the Senate is interested in buying. They also produce a variety of strange weapons.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will read more on that the weapons. And anything else that they may have developed if he can find them in the Archives. He wants to know everything.

REXXXX
The Crzkzi specialize in weapons that disrupt systems, whether they are flesh and blood or metal and circuits. Highly advanced and effective ion cannons for disabling ships has come from Crzkz, as well as a variety of stun guns and something called a shock-rifle.

Lacking Savoir-Faire or Guns, Gallagher is a little unaware of all this. It doesn't mean much without context. You suppose you will see more when you get there.

Alkaselzer
I can't see Gallagher being very enthused by guns anyway. Everyone knows he's more concerned about the Force than anything else (even later). He figures it's good to know I guess.

Gallagher will probably just meditate and see when Korth is ready to go.

REXXXX
Having done a little research, Gallagher is at least prepared for the Crzkzi and not totally unaware of who they are and what they do.

It is not until the following day that Korth is prepared for the journey. The Council has arranged for a shuttle to take you to Crzkz; Korth is not one for piloting, despite his broad range of talents.

"How do you feel about today?" Korth asks you when you arrive at the platform.

Alkaselzer
"I'm excited, Master," Gallagher says. He is not exactly sure how excited he is or if it just nervousness that he has confused for it. "This will be interesting. I want to see more of the Galaxy."

REXXXX
"Good," Korth says simply. "Onto the shuttle, then. We have much to do when we arrive!"

The shuttle is of the diplomatic vessels that Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan utilized in The Phantom Menace, with a trio of large thrusters in the rear and the cockpit toward the ship's nose. A pair of blue-uniformed pilots salute you loosely as you step aboard.

"Should you like, there are quarters toward the rear if you decide to nap during the flight," Master Korth says. "Otherwise, we'll be in the common area while the pilots take us to our destination. Unless you wanted to watch how they work?"

Alkaselzer
"I'm not all that interested in how ships work..." Gallagher admits quietly. Technology has always befuddled him beyond simple things. Complicated machines are not his thing. Even building his lightsaber was a challenge and a chore. "I can meditate in the back."

REXXXX
You sense mild disappointment from Korth.

Alkaselzer
"Or I can sit in the cockpit," Gallagher says. "I can... meditate up there, I guess."

Gallagher forces a smile, not wanting to let Korth down.

REXXXX
Korth smiles.

"A good idea," Korth says. "It may be some day that you will need to learn to fly one, to better yourself as a Knight."

The cockpit is an organized array of blinking lights and flashing buttons and busy screens. None of it makes sense to you. Apparently the pilots know what everything is. They are throwing switches and entering information as the ship prepares to lift off.

Alkaselzer
"I don't really see why," Gallagher says. "I'm learning to be a Jedi Knight, not a fighter pilot."

Gallagher will try to focus his senses on the board of flashing lights and see if anything stands out to him.

REXXXX
"In some cases, being a knight and a pilot are not mutually exclusive," Korth says. "Sometimes the task you are assigned requires it of you. I certainly have found myself wishing I was a better pilot when I least expected to be."

It takes you a moment. You think it is a large blinking red button by the pilot's controls.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will point it out.

"That one," Gallagher says.

REXXXX
"Very good," Korth says. "Go on, press it."

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will look at the pilot for approval, then reach forward and press the button. He is not sure if he is right and so does not know what to expect.

REXXXX
You click the button.

There is a pause before the engines hum on.

"Impressive," one of the pilots says.

"It's a big red button," says the other pilot. "Good guess, kid."

Korth just smiles and assumes a passenger seat in the cockpit. There is an empty one beside him.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will take it as his own and buckling himself in. There is a small ounce of pride in him after finding the right button without any former knowledge of ships.

"It wasn't a guess," Gallagher says. "I felt that it was the right one."

REXXXX
"Very good, Gallagher," Korth says. "Trust your senses; they won't fail you."

The pilots guide the ship through its take-off procedures and you are airborne! And shortly after that, you are in space. It does not seem much different than being on Coruscant, Gallagher; the ship has artificial gravity and heating. You would have expected to start floating or something...

Alkaselzer
"This isn't my first time in space," Gallagher says. "But I don't remember my first time."

REXXXX
"You were very young," Korth says. "When your father discovered that you had the potential to be a Jedi, he sent for a Jedi to take him to Coruscant immediately. And so I visited your world and claimed you for the Jedi Order."

Alkaselzer
"How did I do on that first flight?" Gallagher asks.

After talking with Korth, he is going to close his eyes and meditate, to see if the Force has anything to present to him. If the cockpit becomes distracting from that, he is going to retreat to his room after watching the pilots for a bit. He still does not find much interest in anything that they're doing, though he does like the tranquility of space.

REXXXX
"You were very quiet, and calm," Korth says. "You were only a baby."

Sadly just watching someone fly a ship for a bit does not make you a pilot, and Korth seems to notice that it doesn't really grab your interest. You drift off...

... and when you open your eyes again, you are sitting on a cold stone bench. It is drizzling lightly but persistently.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher stands up suddenly, surprised by the change in environment. Does he recognize where he is?

REXXXX
No.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will pull his hood over his head before the rain soaks him too much. What is around him aside from rain and the bench?

REXXXX
Darkness. You cannot see anything around you. Except for flashes of light in the near distance.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will move toward the flashes of light. He wants to know what they are.

REXXXX
The hair on your arms and the back of your neck is standing up as you move toward the lights. There is a crackling noise and then a familiar humming, both of which rise in pitch and come together in a smash.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher pushes on, making mental note of what he is experiencing. Does he recognize the humming as a lightsaber? Or what the other noise is?

REXXXX
Yes, the humming is distinctly a lightsaber. In fact, it is yours.

The details are blurry, smeared by the rain and rendered unimportant. You get the sense that you are in a courtyard at the center of something. You are standing there already, you can see, your lightsaber out and flashing against something else.

Alkaselzer
Can I see what it is? Gallagher will move closer carefully, watching himself fight with awe. He has never been in an actual fight.

REXXXX
It appears to be a metal rod, in the hands of someone else. The rod is an ordinary piece of metal, yet it stands up the strike of your blade. And then it smacks across your temple, and you cringe as you see the bones in your skull illuminated as if by a shock.

And with the shock, you are thrown back into your seat aboard the Republic cruiser.

"We're here," Korth informs you, shaking your shoulder with a hand.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher wipes the sleep from his eyes, remembering what he saw only faintly. He tries to hold on to the images, so that he can recall what the Force was trying to tell him.

He will look out the viewport at the work below, wondering whether he should be excited to be at a new world or if this is something to dread.

"Crzkz," Gallagher says when he sees it. "How long did I sleep?"

REXXXX
"Most of the journey," Korth says. "Crzkz is not far from Coruscant."

The world below has heavy cloud cover; you cannot see the surface through the roiling blue and purple and gray clouds that rumble angrily through Crzkz's atmosphere. Lightning crackles amid the clouds constantly.

Alkaselzer
"It looks... unhappy," Gallagher says. "Is it always storming?"

REXXXX
"Typically," Korth says.

"Shields at full capacity," one pilot says. "Otherwise we won't make it down to the surface in one piece."

The ship dips down into the storming clouds of the planet, and for a moment all you can see are the crackling and sparkling lights of the storm around you, blue and green and purple and white. Bolts of lightning strike the cruiser's shields, flaring brightly and leaving spots in your vision.

Ultimately, the ship makes it below the storms just fine, and is beckoned by a hail from the Crzkzi planetary flight control. The message is fuzzy and you can sense the pilots' frustration.

Alkaselzer
"What has them frustrated?" Gallagher asks Korth quietly, so as not to disturb the pilots in their work. "Is it the comms?"

REXXXX
Korth confirms that.

"Communications on Crzkz are very difficult unless you have the proper equipment," Korth says. "Some of the units that the Crzkzi produce are the finest in the Galaxy, due to where they were designed."

Alkaselzer
"I suppose that makes sense," Gallagher says. "They're designed for the difficult atmosphere, meaning they probably work great everywhere else that isn't like this. And it's the same for anything else they make?"

Gallagher finds that interesting at least, even if technology itself doesn't thrill him.

REXXXX
"Precisely," Korth says.

After some fiddling with the comm's settings, the pilots are able to get accurate landing coordinates and guidance from the nearest Crzkzi starport.

Below the storm, you get your first glimpse of the surface. Crzkz is a world darkened by its eternally turbulent skies, and the rock formations below are indicative of the constant lightning strikes. Much of the surface appears to have been glassed over the years, and what is not is scorched and blackened and jagged.

The cities stand out starkly from the smoky rocks, composed almost entirely of white spires. Massive lightning rods rise above each and every building, in clusters all around the city. As you approach lightning hits several of them, and you watch as the energy courses down the length of the rods and is redirected somewhere else.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher is intrigued by the city and its tremendous difference from the simple steel skyscrapers that line the Galactic Center. He notes that the rods absorb the energy too, wondering what they do.

"Have you been here before, Master?" Gallagher asks Korth.

REXXXX
"I haven't," Korth says. "This is as new for me as it is for you. Though I have met a few Crzkzi, I have not had the opportunity to visit their homeworld. Until now."

The Republic cruiser is directed to a hangar bay at the heart of this particular city. There is a tense moment when a lightning strike connects with a rod very close to the ship and the systems falter for a second, but the pilots keep control.

Soon the ship is landed and secured in the hangar bay! The pilots relax and power down the ship safely.

"Gather your things," Korth says. "We're disembarking."

Alkaselzer
Gallagher reaches out with his senses upon landing, glad to not have been fried by lightning on their way in. He wonders if that will be a risk he faces often while on Crzkz.

"What were those meetings like?" Gallagher asks before they step off. He pulls his bags to himself with the Force and straps it over his shoulder.

REXXXX
Crzkz feels strange to you, Gallagher. On Coruscant, you can sense multitudes of life forms and every wall and walkway. Here, things feel muddled and unclear. It will take the utmost concentration to use your supernatural senses here. You lift your bag just fine.

"The Crzkzi are suspicious but polite," Korth says. "And with good reason. Over the millennia, many have tried to manipulate the Crzkzi and take their prized creations. The task before us is an uphill battle."

You disembark into the hangar and are immediately drawn to a blue glow moving toward the ship.

Korth emits a series of vibrations with his lips and tongue, which is returned by the blue glow... which comes into focus as you approach. It is a Crzkzi! They are tall slender beings with narrow, oval-shaped heads and vertical mouths, with dark round eyes on the sides of their heads. Despite their distinctly alien appearance, they remain beautiful.

Korth and the Crzkzi talk briefly before Korth explains that this particular being is the one he met, years ago.

"I am called Cazzr," says the Crzkzi. "I am your contact here, both with the foreign affairs ministry and the technological community."

"I appreciate that they provided a familiar face for our visit," Korth says.

"Who are you, child?" Cazzr asks.

Alkaselzer
"I am Gallagher, Padawan to Master Korth," Gallagher introduces himself. He tries not to stare at Cazzr, intrigued by the way his head is shaped and all. He is not the first alien that Gallagher has seen, but certainly the first of his kind. "I am training to become a Jedi Knight."

REXXXX
Cazzr smiles, contorting his vertical mouth into a diamond shape.

"I am pleased to meet a student of Korth," Cazzr says. "You will learn much from him, if you listen. Have you not seen a Crzkzi before, young one?"

Alkaselzer
"I haven't," Gallagher says.

REXXXX
"Now you have," Cazzr says.

"Shall we move on?" Korth asks. "I am eager to meet with the Storm Lord and proceed with our talks."

"Oh, of that I am certain," Cazzr says. You sense a hint of irritation from the Crzkzi, if not distrust. It fades quickly. "He is expecting you. Come with me."

Cazzr guides you to another hangar, where a Crzkzi speeder is waiting. It is a short ride from the starport to what you perceive to be a tremendous palace at the city center. It scintillates as power courses through its glass-like walls, redirected from the weather vanes that crown it. It is amorphous and strange in shape.

"The Electric Court," Korth explains. "The leader of the Crzkzi, the Storm Lord, rules from here."

Alkaselzer
Gallagher looks in awe at the palace.

"Why is he called the Storm Lord?" Gallagher asks, more to Cazzr than to Korth. "I'm guessing that might be obvious..."

REXXXX
"Fairly," Cazzr says. "The Storm Lord has access to and control of the entire power network, which is integral to our society. Interest groups lobby with the Storm Lord for energy, not money."

"That I didn't know," Korth says.

"Money is still important, of course," Cazzr says with a smile.

"Of course," Korth says, smiling back.

The airspeeder lands near the palace, keeping its distance from the energized weather vanes and lightning rods. You walk the rest of the distance to the grandiose palace gates- which, of course, are electrified.

Alkaselzer
"Electricity is a major theme in Crzkzi culture," Gallagher says, matter-of-factly. "Does an electrified fence even do anything to you? I know what it'd do to me..."

REXXXX
"It can interrupt our natural field," Cazzr says.

"Non-fatally," Korth adds.

"Yes," Cazzr says. "It can result in unconsciousness."

Alkaselzer
"It would just fry us," Gallagher says. "Does ANYTHING hurt the Crzkzi? Because it doesn't sound like it."

REXXXX
Cazzr emits a vibrating sound you think is laughter.

"I'm not sure you should know," Cazzr says. "The Crzkzi are a durable people, or we could not have evolved where we did. Only the strong survive worlds like ours."

"It's not information we need," Korth says, smiling. "We're here as friends, not enemies."

"Just so," Cazzr responds.

The guards recognize Cazzr and open the electrified gates for him. They are not physical gates, but electrified walls of energy. The conductors that control them are intricately decorated with imagery of angry lightning gods, which glow fiercely when the gates are active. They flicker and fade when it turns off, and you pass through.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher admires the artistic effor that went into making the gates, and anything else worthy of notice around the gate and through it. He offers respectful nods to any Crzkzi guards he passes, and looks up at the palace in awe.

"How long has the palace been here?" Gallagher asks. "How far back does Crzkzi history reach back?"

REXXXX
Crzkz's history reaches back to the founding of the Republic 25,000 years ago. It was not a founding member and generally stayed apart until fairly recently.

The palace has been here for thousands of years, dating back to the time of the earlier Sith Wars.

"My, you're inquisitive," Cazzr jests.

The overall lightning imagery does not relent inside the palace. Everything is jagged edges and glowing lights, flickering and dancing across the walls.

Alkaselzer
"Sorry," Gallagher says, if he senses that Cazzr is offended. If not, Gallagher just carries on in silence, observing his new surroundings. He fiddles with the hems of his cloak as he walks.

The grandiose design of the palace is probably a bit much for spartan Gallagher. He likes things simple. Crzkz definitely isn't.

"Where are we going?" Gallagher asks after a bit of walking through the halls.

REXXXX
"To our advanced research facilities," Cazzr says. "All are contained here in the palace, as it is the most secure structure on Crzkz. No army has ever penetrated this place, nor will they ever, should one try."

"For all sorts of reasons," Korth adds, with a knowing smile.

"Sometimes I wonder if you know too much..." Cazzr says, returning the grin.

You are ushered into a lift which smoothly shoots upwards, powered by strong electromagnetic pulses. Everything about this place is a marvel, Gallagher.

You sense great power here.

Alkaselzer
"The Force is strong here," Gallagher says to Korth. Then to Cazzr, "Does your world believe in the Force? Or do they view it differently?"

REXXXX
"Both," Cazzr says.

The lift stops after a long ascent to what must be the highest reaches of the palace. It dispels you into an open corridor where everything, as before, is scintillating with energy that crackles through the reflective mercuric walls.

The hall widens into the laboratory. The interior design continues, but the laboratory is a high hall with tremendous windows and vaulted ceiling. The layout reminds you of a church altar, with steps rising at the rear to a vault door. The windows give splendid views of the lightning rods that adorn the palace's peaks.

Several Crzkzi in the garb of scientists are working with a variety of equipment, all of which sparks and glows with electricity.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher notes the vault for a moment before glancing about at the work taking place.

"What are they working on?" Gallagher asks. "Master Korth has said that Crzkzi technology is very advanced, but I don't know what you actually make aside from stun guns."

REXXXX
"A multitude of projects," Cazzr says.

He pauses by one of the work stations, where a group of Crzkzi in lab coats are positioning an advanced suit of armor. They flip a switch, and there is a faint crackle and shimmer as the suit is powered up.

One of the technicians aims a pistol at it and fires.

The bolt dissipates upon contact with the armor, leaving a light scorch but nothing lasting.

"Impressive," Korth says.

"A sustained energy source could short-circuit them," Cazzr says. "It's what they're working on, currently. Our armed forces utilize those suits. Our lord does not like that they have a weakness."

"Understandable," Korth says.

Alkaselzer
"What happens when they short circuit?" Gallagher asks. "It's still armor, right?"

REXXXX
"It still functions," Cazzr says. "Just... not as well. It is the difference between life and death for a Czrkzi soldier. We're very durable."

You approach the vault door.

"So, what are you showing us, Cazzr?" Korth says. "I figured we would be meeting your Lord first."

"He has many things to attend to," Cazzr says. "He assumed you would forgive him this absence."

"Fair enough," Korth says.

"Anyway, I am going to show you what your Senate is interested in," Cazzr says.

Cazzr approaches the controls and presses a hand to it. You feel a pulse in the Force, and the vault begins to open after the panel lights up.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher waits eagerly to see what the vault holds.

REXXXX
The vault door retracts into the wall, as does the second and third sets of blast doors behind it. Then the energized security wall is lowered, and beyond you can see a small room with a high ceiling. Blast shields withdraw from the windows to bring in a flash of light from the storm outside.

On a pedestal sits a datapad.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher looks at it curiously but does not approach unless Master Korth does.

"What is it for?" Gallagher asks. "Or what's on it?"

REXXXX
"Some of the most important information our kind has ever produced," Cazzr says. "The greatest secrets and schemes of the Czrkzi."

"Conveniently kept on a very portable datapad," Korth notes. "This doesn't look very secure..."

"I assure you that none have ever succeeded in getting as far as you have by force," Cazzr says. You sense a hint of pride.

Alkaselzer
"I don't doubt it," Gallagher says. "They'd be electrocuted before entering the atmopshere, let alone the building."

Can Gallagher see what secures the datapad in this room?

REXXXX
If there are any security mechanisms, they are concealed.

Cazzr offers a smile to your comment, and says little else.

"I'm honored that you've entrusted us with this tour," Korth says. "I have a feeling the Senatorial committee will receive no such thing when they arrive tomorrow."

"The Czrzki have always felt resonance with the Jedi," Cazzr says, stepping away from the vault. The doors begin to close and seal off the room again. "What you call the Force is an energy field we know closely, in other ways. And the Jedi have ever been our allies, historically. They never allowed the Sith a foothold, here."

"Indeed not," Korth says.

"Come, I will show you to your quarters," Cazzr says. "You'll need your rest for tomorrow. It will be strenuous, I think. The Lightning Lord will not easily surrender what the Senate seeks."

As you are leaving, they perform another test-firing on the powered armor you observed earlier. The lasers crackle and dissipate upon contact with the armor, and the scientists glance your direction momentarily before continuing with their projects.

The blast door closes the laboratory behind you.

-

Korth and yourself are given residence within the Palace, in one of its many towers. The walls glimmer around you when the tower is struck by lightning, but the sound is distant.

"What did you make of our tour?" Korth asks, once Cazzr departs.

Alkaselzer
"Cazzr wanted to welcome us?" Gallagher says. "The things he showed us were cool... and pretty private."

REXXXX
"And powerful," Korth says. "Cazzr wanted to make a statement by showing us what he did."

Alkaselzer
"We're not here to fight him," Gallagher says, confused. "Aren't we here to help make sure everything goes smoothly?"

REXXXX
"We are," Korth says. "The Czrzki are deeply distrustful of the Republic. Despite their representation in the Senate, they remain largely autonomous. Many times has the Senate attempted to coerce things out of this world. Who DO they trust, though?"

Alkaselzer
"The Jedi?" Gallagher says, hesitantly because he doesn't want to say the wrong answer in front of his Master. "Because we've helped them before?"

REXXXX
"Precisely," Korth says. "Even so, trust only goes so far. We need to ensure we do nothing to jeopardize that connection. The Force binds us together but earthly actions can pull us apart. Be mindful not to openly side with the Senate against the Czrzki.

"On the other hand, be mindful not to stray too far from the Senate's objectives. The Czrzki sharing their technology could do much good for the Galaxy.

"We must ride the line."

-

That being said...

The Jedi are currently at a slightly skewed stance between the Czrzki and the Senate. A score of 0 indicates an even balance between the two, while a positive score indicates a better stance with the Czrzki and a poorer stance with the Senate; a negative score is the opposite.

Gallagher and Korth are currently +1, having arrived early and met with Cazzr.

Your stance can determine bonuses or penalties in social rolls, and the outcome of general events.

Alkaselzer
Kind of like the Senate rating in the Imperial era game? I'll keep it in mind... though I'm sure Gallagher has very little grasp on how actions affect the bigger picture (unless the Force helps him there too!)

But Gallagher gives Master Korth his assurance that he'll be careful not to anger any one party.

"I'll follow what you do," Gallagher says. "This is all new for me."

REXXXX
"I know," Master Korth says. "I believe you'll do well. You are very intuitive, Gallagher. Use that to read the people you meet and learn about the social situations you encounter without asking too many questions. You'll know more than they'll think you do."

The Force probably helps give Gallagher some grasp of things, but it is not so defined as that. At least, Gallagher's powers have not developed that far.

-

Master Korth is bedding down for the night so that you are prepared for tomorrow. You have the opportunity to declare whether or not you will use a precognitive power at this point.

Alkaselzer
Yes! Gallagher will use Insight, please. Go ahead and spend the point. I can't imagine Gallagher will need them for much else!

(jinx...)

Gallagher will rest up but keep his mind open should the Force decide to grant him any insight, maybe meditating a bit before bed.

REXXXX
Consider it spent! You will be receiving the vision at an appropriate point.

-

Master Korth rouses you early the next day and leads you through a meditation exercise to clear your head for the day.

"Keep calm, no matter what is said to you," Korth says. "And stay by me at all times."

Alkaselzer
"I did not intend to leave your side, Master," Gallagher says.

Gallagher will pull on his pristine robes and strap his lightsaber to his belt if he is allowed to carry it. He puts on his best smile and prepares himself mentally to meet the crowds on Crzkz.

REXXXX
Bringing your lightsaber is fine.

You feel a little nervous in general, Gallagher, but Master Korth places a reassuring hand on your shoulder (as he tends to do) and you leave your temporary quarters.

Korth leads you to the lifts, and from there, to the meeting hall within the palace where everyone is gathering. The lifts actually move in multiple directions- up and down, left and right, forward and backward, so by the time you reach the meeting hall, you are not sure where are, other than high up.

The Historic Hall of the Electric Court is where the meeting is being held. Amidst columns and plinths sporting historic items From Crzkz, a handful of long banquet tables have been set up. There are a smattering of power-armored Crzkzi guards here and blue-robed Senate guards there, but overall security within the hall looks pretty loose.

The groups in the room are predominantly Crzkzi dignitaries, but you do see other alien races in the mix, mostly adorned in Senatorial robes and talking fervently.

Cazzr emerges from the crowd and beckons to you and Master Korth.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher makes sure that Korth sees the Crzkzi before moving toward him together, happy to see a familiar face, even if it belongs to someone he is newly acquainted with.

REXXXX
Cazzr greets you with a subtle bow. Korth returns the gesture, hands folded into the sleeves of his robes.

"I trust you slept restfully," Cazzr says.

"Quite," Korth says. "It looks as though everyone has gathered already."

"The Senators arrived in a timely manner."

Korth nods, observing the crowd, then looking to you.

"Do you recognize anyone, Gallagher?" Korth asks.

Alkaselzer
Can Gallagher make a roll on that? The answer is probably not unless Gallagher has spent some time around the Senate.

REXXXX
It would be Intelligence + Savoir-Faire.

Alkaselzer
I could try rolling off the stat? Gallagher is in short supply on skills.

REXXXX
In that case, you do not. You might mentally note that you do not see the Thespian Senator in the room, but you do not recognize anyone else.

"You should get to know more of them," Korth says. "They run the Galaxy, after all."

"So they like to think," Cazzr retorts.

Alkaselzer
"What do you mean?" Gallagher asks Cazzr. "I thought the Senate controlled everything in the Republic."

REXXXX
"They control policy," Cazzr says. "But not everything."

Korth gives him a scolding look, to which Cazzr just gives his slight smile.

"Now," Cazzr continues. "Allow me to show you about and familiarize you with the attendees..."

Cazzr begins to lead Korth off... but something has grabbed your attention, Gallagher.

Alkaselzer
What is it?

REXXXX
Your attention is being drawn to one of the banquet tables.

Alkaselzer
Gallagher will slowly approach the table and see what is that interests him.

REXXXX
Two Czrkzi are sitting together and talking at one end of the table.

Alkaselzer
Can Gallagher try to get close enough to listen?

REXXXX
You can. If you want to do so without being noticed, it is an Intrusion roll.

Alkaselzer
I don't have Intrusion, can I use Presence to try rolling anyway?

REXXXX
Certainly! You focus and try to mask your presence...

... and they turn to look at you immediately, confused by the young boy in white robes standing nearby.

"Can we help you?" one of them asks.

Alkaselzer
"Oh, sorry," Gallagher says, probably awkwardly. "I didn't mean to interrupt."

REXXXX
"You're one of the Jedi, aren't you?" one of the Czrzki asks. "I sensed you touch the force field."

Alkaselzer
"You did?" Gallagher asks. "I didn't know you could do that. Yes, I'm a Jedi. Just a Padawan."

REXXXX
The Crzkzi laugh at you.

"You are still learning, then, that everything is connected to the energy field..." one of them says.

A basic tenet of the Force! Doh! Still, forgetting that the Czrzki are all mildly Force-sensitive is not embarrassing as it is a very rare phenomenon.

Alkaselzer
"I have never met so many beings sensitive to the Force," Gallagher says. "There are many Jedi, but not a planet's worth."

REXXXX
"All Czrzki can feel changes in the energy field," one of them explains. "It is what makes us exceptional."

"And why we normally remain aloof from the Republic's political rabble," says the other. "Still, we heard they had sent a Jedi. You are most welcome here. We are ever friends to the Order."

Alkaselzer
"I know we helped you fight the Sith a long time ago," Gallagher says. "I am surprised we don't have any Czrzki Jedi. Or that we don't work together more. Surely the things you develop would help the Republic, or at least the Jedi. I think I saw armor powered by the Force being developed? That's really insane to think about."

Gallagher wants to develop his powers to protect himself better in fights, against those with guns and those with the Force too. Someday.

"I hope my comments aren't rude. I like when people get along."

Alkaselzer
(?)

REXXXX
"We don't contribute to the Jedi Order," says one of the Czrzki, flatly. "We are happy to continue our relationship though."

Alkaselzer
"That's great," Gallagher says. "I hope it always stays that way. I'm impressed with your world and technology so far. I wish I had cool things like what you've made."

REXXXX
"You never will," is the Czrzki's curt response.

Alkaselzer
"Why is that?" Gallagher asks, surprised by the curt tone of that response.

REXXXX
"Jedi can't use the devices we create because your Council doesn't want them to," the first Czrzki continues. "We touch the same energy field but in different ways. Your Council considers it unnatural to use technology to integrate individuals with the field. We consider it 'enhancement.'"

"Additionally, all devices are exclusively copyrighted by the Czrzki," adds the second Czrzki. "And according to the treaties signed with the Senate upon our engagement with their political body, such copyrights are indefinitely prolonged."

"Which is why you are here today, little Jedi," the first Czrzki says. "The Senate wants to reexamine those treaties for its benefit. I trust the Jedi will see to it that things remain in favor of Czrzki, yes?"

Alkaselzer
"You mean keeping things exclusive to your planet and maintaining the copyrights?" Gallagher asks. "Are you worried that the Senate wants your weapons? I thought they were looking for power generators. Apparently you guys make the best ones in the Galaxy. It would help a lot of people."

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>