Drizzt Dourden vs Bruce Wayne

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

rotiart
Head to head in a battle to the death.

Can the guy with swords beat the guy who struts to the bat tootsie!

JakeTheBank
Bruce is screwed.

srankmissingnin
Batman could solo all of Companions of the Hall at once. Comic book streets just have significantly better speed, strength and skill feats. When a character's best speed feat is parrying arrows... they need to stay the hell away from Batman.

W@NG smash!!
WANG SMASH!!!!!

Prep-Man
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Bruce is screwed.

Lord Feron
Drizzt but idk if he would spank bruce.

Badabing
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
Batman could solo all of Companions of the Hall at once. Comic book streets just have significantly better speed, strength and skill feats. When a character's best speed feat is parrying arrows... they need to stay the hell away from Batman. Your trolling of Batman threads is getting old.

rotiart
Let me argue why I don't think this is a stomp.

Batman has been trained in numerous martial arts. In fact he has even practiced blind thus negating a possible darkness spell from Drizzt.

His gear like gas, bombs, sonics, etc would be equivalent to low level magics making them more on even footing....

Batman has fought against some of the best swordsman around and this is not at a severe handicap in this area either.

With this gear he can knock the elf or tie him up from a distance.

If he gets in close I'd argue his hand to hand is better than Drizzt.

The elf does not have stats outside of a peak range human if you compare official Dnd stats against Bruce who has easily lifted more in comca than Drizzt off memory has ever done. Probably even more then

He has dodged lazers, and bullets which reaction time wise should make him able to stay ahead of arrows.

His punches and kicks and various attacks have broken down robots, mythical creatures etc like omacs and battling along the amazons.

I understand batman possibly losing but he is not screwed.

Badabing
Does Dizzt still use twilight (?) magic? It's been years since I've read the books. And I remember Drizzt in a melee brawl, along with Wulfgar and Bruenor, and it was commented his movements were a blur with his scimitars.

I think Bats is boned if this is a close quarter fight...unless he has a full power batkick!

rotiart
Originally posted by Badabing
Does Dizzt still use twilight (?) magic? It's been years since I've read the books. And I remember Drizzt in a melee brawl, along with Wulfgar and Bruenor, and it was commented his movements were a blur with his scimitars.

I think Bats is boned if this is a close quarter fight...unless he has a full power batkick!

1. I don't remember what you are talking about but you are describing his scimitar speed vs Bruce's overall speed. And come on, Bruce has top end feats that keep him out of harms way even when in close quarters with strong or quick foes.

2. Magic I don't know for sure, his spells used to be inherent due to his dark elf race... So... Im unsure why he would have lost it. Going by the novels it was a common tactic of his.

If you think Drizzt is so fast think about batman going against death stroke and shiva... Are their feats really any worse (personally I say better) than Drizzt feats.

jalek moye
Since its the second thread with this guy, I'm curious. What is his book about?

Badabing
Originally posted by rotiart
1. I don't remember what you are talking about but you are describing his scimitar speed vs Bruce's overall speed. And come on, Bruce has top end feats that keep him out of harms way even when in close quarters with strong or quick foes.

2. Magic I don't know for sure, his spells used to be inherent due to his dark elf race... So... Im unsure why he would have lost it. Going by the novels it was a common tactic of his.

If you think Drizzt is so fast think about batman going against death stroke and shiva... Are their feats really any worse (personally I say better) than Drizzt feats. First of all, shut up! sneer

stick out tongue

The problem is: I'm going from memory of a fight described, not illistrated. I don't recall Batman taking out people in the way Drizzt was described. I'm also referencing the first few books with Drizzt, Wulfgar and Bruenor. I haven't read anything since.Originally posted by jalek moye
Since its the second thread with this guy, I'm curious. What is his book about? They are good. I know Drizzt is in a D&D comic now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_novels

TheLordofMurder
I remember Drizzt when he was going insane in the Dark Elf Trilogy; he was in no uncertain terms a bonafide metahuman at that point in time...

Drizzt kept this edge and learned to use it when neccessary; Batman will be hacked to pieces if Drizzt means business and wants him dead...

Dum Dum Dugan
Batman could solo all of Companions of the Hall at once. Comic book streets just have significantly better speed, strength and skill feats. When a character's best speed feat is parrying arrows... they need to stay the hell away from Batman.

I strongly disagree with this. Bruenor was capable of blocking a mounted cross bow with magically enhanced speed and overall power after it was fired behind him from couple of feet away. And Drizzt was significantly faster then bruenor before he started were the bracers which magically enhance his speed. He was describe as moving in a blur consistently in combat.

Wulfgar had clear superhuman strength the dude picked up a camel and used it as a weapon by throwing it at his attackers who were several feat away from him. He uses to take full on swings from giants wilding weapons consistently with out going down.

Bruenor was able to tank magically enhanced giants hits with war hammers and keep on coming. He also was able to support 1800 pounds before. The were not inferior to comics streets at all.

Badabing
Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
I strongly disagree with this. Bruenor was capable of blocking a mounted cross bow with magically enhanced speed and overall power after it was fired behind him from couple of feet away. And Drizzt was significantly faster then bruenor before he started were the bracers which magically enhance his speed. He was describe as moving in a blur consistently in combat.

Wulfgar had clear superhuman strength the dude picked up a camel and used it as a weapon by throwing it at his attackers who were several feat away from him. He uses to take full on swings from giants wilding weapons consistently with out going down.

Bruenor was able to tank magically enhanced giants hits with war hammers and keep on coming. He also was able to support 1800 pounds before. The were not inferior to comics streets at all. He's trolling.

rotiart

Bruenor was able to tank magically enhanced giants hits with war hammers and keep on coming. He also was able to support 1800 pounds before. The were not inferior to comics streets at all.

In that situation I believe Bruner was wearing magical Mithral armor. (strongest metal after Adamantiun in dnd)

Wulfgar lifts camels? I'm sure I could probably find a scan of Bruce kicking darkseid who tanks superman level punches.

Are you saying batman doesn't have feats that can contend with picking up a 1500 pound (full grown adult) camel?

Dwarfs in dnd have special defenses against giants. Also he wears That magical armour...

Dum Dum Dugan
In that situation I believe Bruner was wearing magical Mithral armor. (strongest metal after Adamantiun in dnd)

He always wearing armor whats your point? He wouldent be armorless in a fight. Also he taken direct hits to the face where he has no armor.

Wulfgar lifts camels?
He picked up a camel and throw it several feat with enough force to take out several men.

I'm sure I could probably find a scan of Bruce kicking darkseid who tanks superman level punches.

Whats your point? Ar eyou going to try and suggest that legitment feat? Or is anything remotely come close to batman consistent power level? Hell no.

Are you saying batman doesn't have feats that can contend with picking up a 1500 pound (full grown adult) camel?
I saying Batman is not consistently portrayed at a level of strength where he can lift up a camel and throw it as a weapon. Trying to pretend some out liner feat is his consistent level of strength is lieing to yourself.

Dwarfs in dnd have special defenses against giants. Also he wears That magical armour...

Are you fing kidding me? It a book series, game rules are completely irrelevent. Hell Salvatore books constantly conflict with there game setting.

now your just trolling me

rotiart
Lol. Im not trolling you. You originally responded to srankin. Lol.

Don't hate on someone just cause they know about dnd also. So first to say we have to go by the books accepting the pis and ignore the official stats for the characters then say we accept batmans stats and ignore pis feats? Lol.

It was a book series part of the dnd world, that's like saying we shouldn't accept the handbooks for characters.

And I never said he was armor less, I said it ignores blatant facts like his magical axe and armor and skills vs giants.

And getting back to it. This has nothing to do with bruenor. The battle is Bruce vs Drizzt so I'd like it if you didn't try to derail the thread.

Dum Dum Dugan
Lol. Im not trolling you. You originally responded to srankin. Lol.

Really seems like you are.

Don't hate on someone just cause they know about dnd also. So first to say we have to go by the books accepting the pis and ignore the official stats for the characters then say we accept batmans stats and ignore pis feats? Lol.

Right ehre trolling. Your trying to pass off a game rules on a fantasy world. That does not work you chump. Thats like argueing marvel universe role play rules in in fight between capt and spiderman. It rediculous.

Accepting what pis? Dude you arguement seems to be falling apart and now your just saying random shit.

When did I once say we are using batman stats from a handbook? When has PIS feats ever been allowed? What are you puffing?

It was a book series part of the dnd world, that's like saying we shouldn't accept the handbooks for characters.
We don't...........

shot yourself in the foot with that one.

And I never said he was armor less, I said it ignores blatant facts like his magical axe and armor and skills vs giants.

Which he always has one, the point is utterly moot. And again he has no armor on his face.

I not ignoring any of these things. I simply said he tanked giants attacks. Which is not inaccurate he does. Your jsut throwing out red herring now.
And trying to argue points I never made

And getting back to it. This has nothing to do with bruenor. The battle is Bruce vs Drizzt so I'd like it if you didn't try to derail the thread.

yup your trolling.

srankmissingnin
Your trolling of Batman threads is getting old.

I'm not trolling buddy. I have two hours on the subway everyday, and I use that time to read. High Fantasy, Sword and Sorcery and Historical Fiction are my books of choice. I go through two - three books a week, if all the people who posted in this thread combined had read as many books as I have... I would be truly astounded and impressed.

Batman is SO much better than Drizzt that it is laughable. I can name dozens of fantasy characters that would take Drizzt 10/10 that would still lose 10/10 to Batman themselves. List Batman's top 10 strength, speed and skill feats. Then do the same thing for Drizzt and company... then try to tell me with a straight face that this isn't a spite thread in favour of Batman or that I'm trolling.

The only character remotely related to Drizzt who has a shot at Batman is Artemis with Charon's Claw, and that is only because he just needs to nick Batman's skin a single time to kill him.

srankmissingnin

And nothing you just mentioned rivals Batman's best feats...

Existere
Yeah, I'm with Srank. In order for comic street levels to keep up with metas, high tech and even basic guns, they typically operate on a higher level than heroes based in any medieval/fantasy era.

Lord Feron
Originally posted by jalek moye
Since its the second thread with this guy, I'm curious. What is his book about?

if u are even remotely interested in fantasy R.A. Salvatore is a ****ing boss!!

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Existere
Yeah, I'm with Srank. In order for comic street levels to keep up with metas, high tech and even basic guns, they typically operate on a higher level than heroes based in any medieval/fantasy era.

I disagree. If you go off just there highest showings yes this could be true, but if you base the comic characters off there consistent betrayals the Salvatore characters are diffidently a match for them.

Digi
Oh dear. No, I think I'm staying out of this.

Badabing
Originally posted by Digi
Oh dear. No, I think I'm staying out of this. You're a mod. Get in there!

rotiart
Really seems like you are.

Right ehre trolling. Your trying to pass off a game rules on a fantasy world. That does not work you chump. Thats like argueing marvel universe role play rules in in fight between capt and spiderman. It rediculous.

Accepting what pis? Dude you arguement seems to be falling apart and now your just saying random shit.

When did I once say we are using batman stats from a handbook? When has PIS feats ever been allowed? What are you puffing?

We don't...........

shot yourself in the foot with that one.

Which he always has one, the point is utterly moot. And again he has no armor on his face.

I not ignoring any of these things. I simply said he tanked giants attacks. Which is not inaccurate he does. Your jsut throwing out red herring now.
And trying to argue points I never made

yup your trolling.

You do realize dnd is the world that ra Salvatore's characters exist in right?

And there were lore handbooks that described the history, magical items, skills, etc of the companions... Similar to marvels handbooks on its comic characters... Which give us a relative baseline...

As for being a chump: sticks and stones may break my bones....;-P

Dum Dum Dugan
You do realize dnd is the world that ra Salvatore's characters exist in right?

And there were lore handbooks that described the history, magical items, skills, etc of the companions... Similar to marvels handbooks on its comic characters... Which give us a relative baseline...

As for being a chump: sticks and stones may break my bones....;-P

Actaully these live in forgotten realms which is campaign setting. DnD it self is larger then forgotten realms and had several realms such as dragon lance for one. Also you do understand it a game right and trying to pretend games rules apply to books characters is an absurd argument.

Except just like marvel handbooks there inaccurate and dont mean anything. You understand the marvel hand books are not usable in debates right? Also there not even as good as hand books. it like trying to use Marvel Universe role play game rules in a debate agaianst wolverine vs spiderman. fact you cant see the difference is mind baffling to me.

You are chump, your arguments are down right laughable.

Digi
You're a mod. Get in there!

Nope. It's just sad to me. "Drizzt is allowed?! Quick, pit him against some obvious fanboy crushes! Now everyone choose a side, since one side is clearly wrong....I SAID NAO!"

I love Drizzt novels. I don't give a **** who he can beat. Some things shouldn't be sullied. Others can have their fun, it would just depress me.

Dum Dum Dugan

Dwarfs in dnd have special defenses against giants.

This is still the dumbest thing anyone has said in this thread.

Dum Dum Dugan
Nope. It's just sad to me. "Drizzt is allowed?! Quick, pit him against some obvious fanboy crushes! Now everyone choose a side, since one side is clearly wrong....I SAID NAO!"

I love Drizzt novels. I don't give a **** who he can beat. Some things shouldn't be sullied. Others can have their fun, it would just depress me.

I agree. I wanted him against other fantasy based character because they make good debates. But against people like Batman, people will just throw out batmans most ridiculous feats. Making debate rather stupid.

Starscream M
I disagree. If you go off just there highest showings yes this could be true, but if you base the comic characters off there consistent betrayals the Salvatore characters are diffidently a match for them. the thing is there is no reality to comic book characters...ie batman is written to be herald level in some cases (ie fight with grundy)...whereas base batman is peak human

comics lack of consistency makes it hard to debate

I would say average batman would prob lose to drizzt

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Starscream M
the thing is there is no reality to comic book characters...ie batman is written to be herald level in some cases (ie fight with grundy)...whereas base batman is peak human

comics lack of consistency makes it hard to debate

I would say average batman would prob lose to drizzt

we don't agree much, but I must say i agree with you here.

Existere

I love Drizzt novels. I don't give a **** who he can beat. Some things shouldn't be sullied. Others can have their fun, it would just depress me. lol, that sounds so negative. Drizzt is different than every other fictional character that gets puts through this process?

srankmissingnin
Actaully these live in forgotten realms which is campaign setting. DnD it self is larger then forgotten realms and had several realms such as dragon lance for one. Also you do understand it a game right and trying to pretend games rules apply to books characters is an absurd argument.

Except just like marvel handbooks there inaccurate and dont mean anything. You understand the marvel hand books are not usable in debates right? Also there not even as good as hand books. it like trying to use Marvel Universe role play game rules in a debate agaianst wolverine vs spiderman. fact you cant see the difference is mind baffling to me.

You are chump, your arguments are down right laughable.

You know that wizards of the coast were going to make Salvatore kill Artemis because they removed the assassin class from the 3rd (every assassin was killed to resurect the dark god Bane)? The only reason Artemis is still around is because Salvatore convinced them that Artemis wasn't an assassin class but a fighter / rogue... He got one level assassin when it returned later as a prestige class.

it's not the same as Marvel and their handbooks, because the novels are companion pieces to the game and not the other way around. When changes are made to the rules those changes are enforced across all of novels. The Orc King for example had a lot in it concerning the 4th edition changes and spell plague.

Digi
Originally posted by Existere
lol, that sounds so negative. Drizzt is different than every other fictional character that gets puts through this process?

To be fair, I don't do much on the vs. forums anymore. I stopped caring who wins anything ages ago.

I just got used to thinking about comic characters in this way. But I cringe every time I see Watchmen characters, or Planetary, etc. Basically any character that was created for purposes pretty explicitly outside of "who wins?" type of questions. Drizzt falls into that category for me, despite Salvatore's occasional fan service to this kind of mentality with his characters. The fact that it bridges mediums and universes also makes it tricky, since we know what happens when trying to compare feats from different franchises (see also: books, anime/manga, etc.). Pick any similar character and the outcome is the same: the fans of the character take his/her side, and everyone else sits listening to feats and saying "lulz, doesn't sound more impressive than {lists a dozen feats} that {insert Marvel/DC character} has accomplished." They're fundamentally incompatible.

D_Dude1210
Just wanted to throw in that the dwarf defense against giants is a dodge bonus.

rotiart
Originally posted by D_Dude1210

You definitely right about that.
Plus they have a constitution bonus to health.
And the armor befit a king....

While elves have that dexterity bonus making them more elusive...

Anyways my whole poin is that if we wanna go off what's on panel or narration only? Batman's got feats where he rocks up metallic, dr light, and even draws blood from darkseid with the infamous bat kick...

We've got him battling omacs, aliens, running hundreds or thousands of combat scenarios in his head...

I chose batman for this fight over captain America because of his belt, gear, etc...

Drizzt has fought against waves of orcs like batmans fought against waves of robots aliens and ninjas...

Batman drops a gas pellet on Drizzt and fights over. :-P

rotiart
Or possibly a flash grenade, as Drizzt early novels I'd show his aversion to sunlight, though I don't know if that trait still exists as most books tend to have him out at night. :-/

srankmissingnin
To be fair, I don't do much on the vs. forums anymore. I stopped caring who wins anything ages ago.

I just got used to thinking about comic characters in this way. But I cringe every time I see Watchmen characters, or Planetary, etc. Basically any character that was created for purposes pretty explicitly outside of "who wins?" type of questions. Drizzt falls into that category for me, despite Salvatore's occasional fan service to this kind of mentality with his characters. The fact that it bridges mediums and universes also makes it tricky, since we know what happens when trying to compare feats from different franchises (see also: books, anime/manga, etc.). Pick any similar character and the outcome is the same: the fans of the character take his/her side, and everyone else sits listening to feats and saying "lulz, doesn't sound more impressive than {lists a dozen feats} that {insert Marvel/DC character} has accomplished." They're fundamentally incompatible.

I think you are way of base, Drizzt is the epitome of a "who wins" type of character. Not to knock RA Salvatore but he isn't George RR Martin or China Mieville, he isn't writing plot driven narratives, he is writing character driven narratives. The stories in his Forgotten Realms books are merely a vehicle for the characters he has created, because that's what the fans want, they want to see more of that Drizzt in action. It's the same thing with Batman (and all main stream superheroes). You say that they are fundamentally incompatible, but in my mind they are about as similar as you can get. No one puts down a RA Salvatore books an says "Wow... that was deep, that changes my perception of the world." They say "That had some cool fight scenes in!" and everything RA Salvatore does is to facilitate those fight scenes.

The problem is that he just isn't ever depicted as a threat to Batman.

OneDumbG0
I was tempted to comment on how nerdy you all are for reading this stuff as I have no idea what a Drizzt Dourden is. Then I remembered I discuss comic books just as seriously...

"Oh what the heck, I'll laugh anyway!" laughing

Brownie points to anyone who gets that reference.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by OneDumbG0
I was tempted to comment on how nerdy you all are for reading this stuff as I have no idea what a Drizzt Dourden is. Then I remembered I discuss comic books just as seriously...

Sometimes I see grown men where wrestling t-shirts and I think "God, what a losser!" And then I remember I'm wearing this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1aDuxC5haXc/SWaqgjRh2rI/AAAAAAAAAfk/PF43yZGBXtQ/s400/Wolverine_Costume_Yellow_Shirt2.jpg

and try not to judge. cool

StyleTime
I was actually going to say something like ODG myself. I'd never heard of Drizzt either.

I don't know why, but discussing Dungeons and Dragons just.......feels way nerdier than discussing comic books. Reading comics has slightly more mainstream acceptance I guess.

Trying to establish a hierarchy for nerdiness is hilariously hilarious of course.

OneDumbG0
Sometimes I see grown men where wrestling t-shirts and I think "God, what a losser!" And then I remember I'm wearing this:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_1aDuxC5haXc/SWaqgjRh2rI/AAAAAAAAAfk/PF43yZGBXtQ/s400/Wolverine_Costume_Yellow_Shirt2.jpg

and try not to judge. cool Are you trying to besmirch the world's greatest professional sports entertainment?

crackers

Know your role, Jabroni. Know your role.

rotiart

Everyone geeks out one way or another.
Guys always argue this beats that, and come up with fanatic arguments in doing so...

I argue captain America beats so and so.... Honda s2000 is best in its price range for the money... 49ers beat everyone... Even if we did lose in the playoffs last year....

Women argue... Actually I'm not sure how they argue. My gf is always dragging me to go buy clothes etc and rationalize why it makes sense to do it...

Throws out dont you know who this actor/singer/kardashian is. This is so simple how can you not know!!

An I throw out... Do you know who mitt Romney, Ron Paul, or Paul Ryan are... And her response is.. They play basketball...

We are all geeks who specialize in something which to someone else means nothing. :-)

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by StyleTime
I was actually going to say something like ODG myself. I'd never heard of Drizzt either.

I don't know why, but discussing Dungeons and Dragons just.......feels way nerdier than discussing comic books. Reading comics has slightly more mainstream acceptance I guess.

Trying to establish a hierarchy for nerdiness is hilariously hilarious of course.

The hierarchy nerdism is as fallows: Larping is nerdier than cosplaying, cosplaying is nerdier than playing D&D, playing D&D is nerdier than reading comics, but reading comics is nerdier than reading Forgotten Realms Books. cool

Step your nerd game up!

Galan007
You people are geeks. noneyes

rotiart
The hierarchy nerdism is as fallows: Larping is nerdier than cosplaying, cosplaying is nerdier than playing D&D, playing D&D is nerdier than reading comics, but reading comics is nerdier than reading Forgotten Realms Books. cool

Step your nerd game up!

My ex girlfriend Once looked me dead in the face

She was like...
Accounting major
Math major
Reads comics
Plays chess
Plays dnd

... You aren't a nerd, you are a super nerd!!
Then laughed with me about it. Sweetest girlfriend I ever had. Sigh.

Digi
Originally posted by D_Dude1210

laughing out loud

I think you are way of base, Drizzt is the epitome of a "who wins" type of character. Not to knock RA Salvatore but he isn't George RR Martin or China Mieville, he isn't writing plot driven narratives, he is writing character driven narratives. The stories in his Forgotten Realms books are merely a vehicle for the characters he has created, because that's what the fans want, they want to see more of that Drizzt in action. It's the same thing with Batman (and all main stream superheroes). You say that they are fundamentally incompatible, but in my mind they are about as similar as you can get. No one puts down a RA Salvatore books an says "Wow... that was deep, that changes my perception of the world." They say "That had some cool fight scenes in!" and everything RA Salvatore does is to facilitate those fight scenes.

The problem is that he just isn't ever depicted as a threat to Batman.

I did use the modifier "for me" several times, and also made note of Salvatore's service to power levels. I was clear that it was personal indifference to Drizzt in our imaginary power hierarchy.

Salvatore has been a powerful influence to minorities through fantasy. He's not an intellectual writer as these things go, but it's wrong to categorize his works as ONLY vehicles for action.

My ex girlfriend Once looked me dead in the face

She was like...
Accounting major
Math major
Reads comics
Plays chess
Plays dnd

... You aren't a nerd, you are a super nerd!!
Then laughed with me about it. Sweetest girlfriend I ever had. Sigh.

That's actually tame by some standards. When I really want to display my nerd cred, I link people to the KMC tourneys I've entered. But some level of costume-wearing has to be present to reach the upper echelons of nerd-dom.

Also never got the "chess for nerds" thing. Outside of cliche high school chess clubs, it seems more like an intellectual endeavor than a geeky one.

srankmissingnin
I forgot to mention arguing on the internet about which comic book characters are tougher is falls between cosplaying and playing D&D on the nerd hierarchy.

I don't know where Fantasy Sports teams go on the nerd hierarchy... that is like D&D for jocks. embarrasment

Digi
There's people who do fantasy sports that don't do ANY other geek things. The same can't be said of D&D'ers. I'd say fantasy sports are fairly low.

I once made a "list why you're a geek" thread one time in the OTF. It got shot down because it became a cat fight as to who was the dorkiest.

Galan007
I forgot to mention arguing on the internet about which comic book characters are tougher is falls between cosplaying and playing D&D on the nerd hierarchy.

I don't know where Fantasy Sports teams go on the nerd hierarchy... that is like D&D for jocks. embarrasment At least most of us can admit comic/comic forums are geeky.

Fantasy sports followers actually think what they do is "cool". That makes their level of geekery >> comic book junkies like us. Imho.

srankmissingnin
I did use the modifier "for me" several times, and also made note of Salvatore's service to power levels. I was clear that it was personal indifference to Drizzt in our imaginary power hierarchy.

Salvatore has been a powerful influence to minorities through fantasy. He's not an intellectual writer as these things go, but it's wrong to categorize his works as ONLY vehicles for action.

And I prefaced my post with "I think."

All I can say is that for me personally I only continue to read Salavatore because I have an attachment to his characters from my childhood and fond memories of reading the books with my dad... but every time I read one of his books now I get angry with how sloppy is his writing his. Seriously Salvatore how many ****ing times in one book do you need to tell me that Guenhwyvar weighs 600lbs you *******! I know she weighs 600lbs you've told me that a dozen times in every book you've written since the Icewind Dale Trilogy more than two decades ago! If his books weren't my first exposure to the Fantasy genre as a child I don't imagine I would have been able to get passed the second book. For me saying his books are a vehicle for action is an accurate assessment.

Agree to disagree I guess.

rotiart
Oh. I'm sorry. It wasn't the dnd that got me the super nerd. It was the fact that I used to MUD... Full ANSI text and everything.

Digi
Half this site is too young for MUDs. They were on their way out when I got into PC RPG'ing. Still, I took part in 1-2 I think.

And I prefaced my post with "I think."

All I can say is that for me personally I only continue to read Salavatore because I have an attachment to his characters from my childhood and fond memories of reading the books with my dad... but every time I read one of his books now I get angry with how sloppy is his writing his. Seriously Salvatore how many ****ing times in one book do you need to tell me that Guenhwyvar weighs 600lbs you *******! I know she weighs 600lbs you've told me that a dozen times in every book you've written since the Icewind Dale Trilogy more than two decades ago! If his books weren't my first exposure to the Fantasy genre as a child I don't imagine I would have been able to get passed the second book. For me saying his books are a vehicle for action is an accurate assessment.

Agree to disagree I guess.

I get that way with Terry Brooks. Salvatore's writing has actually improved, imo. Less cliches and predictable scenarios. But I see what you're saying.

OneDumbG0

Step your nerd game up! The phuck is larping?

I think forums get something of a pass on geekiness. Comic book forums are as nerdy as video game forums and cycling forums and movie forums and sports forums and religious forums and any forum that let's people bash/troll each other anonymously.

Least, that's what I tell myself. I could easily have gravitated to a football forum or philosophy forum had it not been for the accidental fact that I read a Green Lantern comic with a clear editor's mistake in it and my googling of the confusion led me here.

srankmissingnin
The phuck is larping?

I think forums get something of a pass on geekiness. Comic book forums are as nerdy as video game forums and cycling forums and movie forums and sports forums and religious forums and any forum that let's people bash/troll each other anonymously.

Least, that's what I tell myself. I could easily have gravitated to a football forum or philosophy forum had it not been for the accidental fact that I read a Green Lantern comic with a clear editor's mistake in it and my googling of the confusion led me here.

Larp is live action roleplaying. It's like civil war reenactment mixed with a Renaissance fair... except you dress up as a wizard and throw bean bags at people with nerf swords.

dnQ9Vp4fV4I

I've never done it... but I think it looks fun. embarrasment

Digi
OMG IS THAT A REAL TRAILER?

srankmissingnin
Yeah.

Galan007
The phuck is larping?

Least, that's what I tell myself. I could easily have gravitated to a football forum or philosophy forum had it not been for the accidental fact that I read a Green Lantern comic with a clear editor's mistake in it and my googling of the confusion led me here. What was the mistake? I must know.

OneDumbG0
Originally posted by Galan007
What was the mistake? I must know. The whole "Power of the Guardians dwarfs even you Spectre" thing in Green Lantern: Rebirth. Ok, that's enough of my off-topic trollery.

On-topic: Drizzt Dourden beats Batman 7/10. Don't ask me why, just accept it.

Blair Wind
That's actually tame by some standards. When I really want to display my nerd cred, I link people to the KMC tourneys I've entered.

This. No one outside of my very best friend and girlfriend knows I do this. If people knew I participate in tournaments to debate fictional comic book characters, I'm pretty sure I'd be a very lonely man.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Blair Wind
This. No one outside of my very best friend and girlfriend knows I do this. If people knew I participate in tournaments to debate fictional comic book characters, I'm pretty sure I'd be a very lonely man.

You are part of secret brotherhood, no one can know happens in these hallowed forums! We are the men who read every comic, and chronicle even the most trivial of details. We decide who wins and who loses. We are... Illuminerdy.

http://www.boingboing.net/images/_wp-content_uploads_2009_12_illuminatibill.jpg

Digi
I have two friends who know about the tourneys. The greatest ever was when they were in the room when I started talking comics with a hipster girl (I've told this story before on KMC, a few might recognize it).

She said her favorite character was super obscure (lulz) and that I'd never guess it. I figured "obscure" meant not one of DC's Big 3 or anyone in Marvel who had had a movie. But it had to be mainstream enough that she'd still hear of it and have him/her as a favorite. So it was basically another JLA member or one of the X-Men. I guessed Green Lantern, it was right, and she shat bricks. Then she said that no one could ever beat GL, and I was like "um, what?" She decided she'd teach me about his powers, and how he was the most powerful of anyone ever. The ensuing curbstomp (which I was gentle with, btw) was still pretty hilarious.

Anyway, my two friends got to watch in sheer glee, knowing exactly how the beatdown would unfold. One of them just started laughing hysterically when my eyebrows went up at the "most powerful ever" comment, and said to her "Oh God, you're in so much trouble."

Starscream M
wow, you guys are such dorks...

rotiart
I have two friends who know about the tourneys. The greatest ever was when they were in the room when I started talking comics with a hipster girl (I've told this story before on KMC, a few might recognize it).

She said her favorite character was super obscure (lulz) and that I'd never guess it. I figured "obscure" meant not one of DC's Big 3 or anyone in Marvel who had had a movie. But it had to be mainstream enough that she'd still hear of it and have him/her as a favorite. So it was basically another JLA member or one of the X-Men. I guessed Green Lantern, it was right, and she shat bricks. Then she said that no one could ever beat GL, and I was like "um, what?" She decided she'd teach me about his powers, and how he was the most powerful of anyone ever. The ensuing curbstomp (which I was gentle with, btw) was still pretty hilarious.

Anyway, my two friends got to watch in sheer glee, knowing exactly how the beatdown would unfold. One of them just started laughing hysterically when my eyebrows went up at the "most powerful ever" comment, and said to her "Oh God, you're in so much trouble."

When the green lantern movie came out someone asked me who was stronger superman or Hal Jordan.

And I basically went in depth into their powers an history...

After five polite minutes they said something like I could have just said superman. They wanted a quick answer not an encyclopedia of info.

Lol. :-(

rotiart
Or even better when The Xmen movie came out an it made juggernaught a mutant someone said but in the cartoon it was magic...

And my response was I hate Brett Ratner.

Digi
I had an Optimus Prime vs. Spider-Man discussion with a black dude outside a movie theater one time. It was a group discussion, but I took his side and backed it up with fancy geek-talk. He came out convinced Spidey would wreck OP, which made me laugh to no end.

wow, you guys are such dorks...

And yet, I found it doesn't have to stereotype you into the lonely guy who never has a date or a social life. Being a dork is awesome. I had a debate with a hot girl at a bar last night about He-Man. He-Man. I won a goddamn free beer because I knew Castle Greyskull was a multiversal nexus for channeling He-Man's power.

"Non-dork" knowledge is just as useless 99% of the time. It's just about finding creative applications of the knowledge. I ask girls what superhero they'd be and why. Awesome conversation starter.

Starscream M
you inspire me digi smile

I may try comic related pickup next time I get the chance...

rotiart
I had an Optimus Prime vs. Spider-Man discussion with a black dude outside a movie theater one time. It was a group discussion, but I took his side and backed it up with fancy geek-talk. He came out convinced Spidey would wreck OP, which made me laugh to no end.

And yet, I found it doesn't have to stereotype you into the lonely guy who never has a date or a social life. Being a dork is awesome. I had a debate with a hot girl at a bar last night about He-Man. He-Man. I won a goddamn free beer because I knew Castle Greyskull was a multiversal nexus for channeling He-Man's power.

"Non-dork" knowledge is just as useless 99% of the time. It's just about finding creative applications of the knowledge. I ask girls what superhero they'd be and why. Awesome conversation starter.

How to get a girl..

My last few girlfriends were the result of a previously uninterested girl seein pictures of one of my exs.

My current girlfriend had no interest in me whatsoever until one of my female friends showed her pictures of my exes. She knew I had a career in accountancy, my own home and paid off my Acura right... But what tipped the scales was when she came to me one day and said why was I interested in her when I was also talking to this girls she thought were prettier... Sigh.

In a bar or club, the best wingmen are pretty girls. It lowers the victims guards...

Did I say victim? Because what I meant was victim. Lol. Jk.

Existere
One time this rando asked me to tell them more about Green Lantern. I, jumping at the opportunity to be a complete dork, was like 'sure, which one?' and he was like 'wait, what, there's more then one?'

I probably could have been gentler about it but instead launched into how they cover every section of the universe, etc, etc.

I was pretty quickly cut off for other conversation.

Blair Wind

Wait, who did you counter with?

I mean, she has a valid claim - to an extent. It is the most powerful weapon in the universe for a reason. It can do anything you can imagine. I'm much more imaginative than the entirety of the GL corps

Digi
The actual spouting of info is a trap (unless you work it into a fake argument to win a free beer). The point is to turn it around on her. Why does she like that hero? What appeals to her about the power set? There's a story there, and the heart of it is where you'll make the actual connection.

So, like, it might seem like dumbing yourself down, but in bringing up the topic in the first place, you ensure that you won't be out of your element. Then you can be all "Isn't GL awesome?! I mean, you can literally just think of anything. Imagine something now...what would you make with your ring?" then go on a sensory trip with her, instead of talking about the differences between Kyle and Hal.

Digi
Rotiart's advice about female wingmen is also largely true. thumb up

Wait, who did you counter with?

I mean, she has a valid claim - to an extent. It is the most powerful weapon in the universe for a reason.

I just went for the heavy artillery. Reality warpers, anyone who could electrically or telepathically mess with a GL's concentration, energy absorbers, particularly those who could then redirect the energy. That sort of thing. Or those whose power output is historically better (since everyone and his uncle has an unlimited power source to start with).

Also mentioned that the human will is limited, even if the ring potentially isn't.

Galan007
laughing out loud

I love how this thread has turned into everyone posting examples of their their public geekery.

That said, I tried getting into comics with my ex several years back (in fact, she registered on this very site to get more comic info.) But when I tried explaining anything comic related to her, I found myself using 'forum-speak'. For instance, instead of calling it "the infinity gauntlet", I'd call it "the IG". Instead of calling it "the Green Lantern Corps", I'd call it "the GLC"--she would then stop our entire convo just to ask what "an IG" or "a GLC" was.

...Needless to say, it was then that I knew she wasn't for me. B*tch. ermmnone

Blair Wind
How to get a girl..

My last few girlfriends were the result of a previously uninterested girl seein pictures of one of my exs.

My current girlfriend had no interest in me whatsoever until one of my female friends showed her pictures of my exes. She knew I had a career in accountancy, my own home and paid off my Acura right... But what tipped the scales was when she came to me one day and said why was I interested in her when I was also talking to this girls she thought were prettier... Sigh.

In a bar or club, the best wingmen are pretty girls. It lowers the victims guards...

Did I say victim? Because what I meant was victim. Lol. Jk.

This is top notch psychological warfare.

Digi
This is top notch psychological warfare.

lol

Digi
laughing out loud

I love how this thread has turned into everyone posting examples of their their public geekery.

That said, I tried getting into comics with my ex several years back (in fact, she registered on this very site to get more comic info.) But when I tried explaining anything comic related to her, I found myself using 'forum-speak'. For instance, instead of calling it "the infinity gauntlet", I'd call it "the IG". Instead of calling it "the Green Lantern Corps", I'd call it "the GLC"--she would then stop our entire convo just to ask what "an IG" or "a GLC" was.

...Needless to say, it was then that I knew she wasn't for me. B*tch. ermmnone

Really? That's what did it?! I feel like there's more to the story here. I wouldn't mind explaining stuff if my girl was interested.

StyleTime

Step your nerd game up!
That.....sounds pretty accurate actually. lol. I'd put Manga/anime around D&D level.
There's people who do fantasy sports that don't do ANY other geek things. The same can't be said of D&D'ers. I'd say fantasy sports are fairly low.

I once made a "list why you're a geek" thread one time in the OTF. It got shot down because it became a cat fight as to who was the dorkiest.
I think that playing a game about an "already cool" activity like football or basketball is seen as less dorky.

Kinda like how some Madden/NBA2K players think other video games are lame.

I wish I had cooler examples. My public geeking is mostly limited to highlighting differences between movie characters and their comic counterparts.

I did explain why Wolverine would beat Baraka to one of my less informed friends one time though.

Badabing
wow, you guys are such dorks... You can run your mouth when you stop running from Dum Dum's BZ challenge, Brucie. 131

rotiart
Yeah but DIGI those fantasy sports guys probably spend WAY more on sports than nerds do on comics. Hell I got tickets to the kings warriors game for 150 bucks. 49ers game cost me 300... Plus food and travel?

Comics are what? 10 bucks a week? 520 bucks a year?

Comic geeks are more frugal with their money :-P.

Bouboumaster
I say that Bruce wtfpwn him.

Drizzt is metha, and whatever, but Bruce got three huge advantage that Drizzt can't overcome:

1- Technology
2- H2H combat
3- Brain

Digi
Yeah but DIGI those fantasy sports guys probably spend WAY more on sports than nerds do on comics. Hell I got tickets to the kings warriors game for 150 bucks. 49ers game cost me 300... Plus food and travel?

Comics are what? 10 bucks a week? 520 bucks a year?

Comic geeks are more frugal with their money :-P.

Not necessarily. Where I used to live, I'd watch sports with a group of friends every week, and we could talk about literally any sport. 98% of the weeks, all it cost us was the cost of maybe a six-pack and some chips. The majority of sports fans make one big purchase - a good TV. After that, it's no more expensive than having a regular social life. And the 1-2 games a year I'd go to were no more expensive than, say, a single trip to a comic-con and all the stuff I'd buy there. Anyone who goes to NFL games more than once a decade is a chump...overpriced BS, and easier to watch on TV. I'd pay $25 or so for decent seats at awesome games (pro or college).

You're also talking about general sports fans at this point, not fantasy sports. I think we've left ANY semblance of geekdom at that point.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by StyleTime
I wish I had cooler examples. My public geeking is mostly limited to highlighting differences between movie characters and their comic counterparts.

I did explain why Wolverine would beat Baraka to one of my less informed friends one time though.

The best I have is the first year I was at University I was in the library working on a research paper when I walked passed some guy who was saying "Witchblade can beat Superman, because she has INFINITE MASS!!!" I promptly educated him and the people he was lecturing and went on my way.

An other time I was at my lcs getting my weekly comics and some guy was telling a girl he was with "Have you heard of the Hulk? Eventually he gets so mad he turns Red." but I left that alone and went about my business.

Galan007
Really? That's what did it?! I feel like there's more to the story here. I wouldn't mind explaining stuff if my girl was interested. laughing out loud no that's not why she's my ex.

However, it did frustrate me having to constantly explain things to her... Felt like training a new guy at work. She just never seemed to 'get' anything I said.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.