The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ToMacco
I know some of you were talking about this in Video Games #2, but I think enough people are playing this (or are going to be playing this). So it should have it's own thread.

So, how far is everyone on it?

I still don't even have a fourth heart container yet. I tossed that nosy winged ***** up into that cave. I kept throwing her into the wall, before I reolized I had to climb up onto that rock.

BackFire349
thats about where i am too. im in the cave right now, first dungeon of the game. great game so far. really captures the magic of the zelda series perfectly with the new animation.

ToMacco
I'm still a little sluggish with the controls. I'm so used to N64's controls.

BackFire349
they're basically the same. lock on targetting and what not.

ToMacco
I also bought the guide, but I havn't had to use it yet.

BackFire349
i got the guide for free when i preordered it.

ToMacco
You know when Link is conducting the wind with his wand? Well, I was toying with that, and my older sister came downstairs. She looked at me and was like "What the hell kind of queer game are you playing?"

I suppose it did look stupid, this little cartoon elf with a baton in his hand.

BackFire349
haha. yeah, links eyes are freaky too.

mah
but you _should_ smack your sister silly for saying something like that about Zelda

BackFire349
ahhhh, family abuse, gotta love it.

Tex
Im going to boycott this thead seeing as I am ahead of all of you, and I dont want to reveal any secrets that I may reveal with Tinglestick out tongue

ToMacco
You and Tingle can play with your little weiners elsewhere then.

Tex
Wanna join us?

ToMacco
No thanks.

I got a little further. Got into the cave, but I got stuck. I think I need to go kill that scorpion looking thing that pops out of the lava.

Member.
windwalker=not as good as majoras mask and diffently not as good as ocarina of time.

BackFire349
so far its better then ocarina, i never played majoras mask.

Mujaffa
majara's mask is cool

mah
have you played it at all Member?

Mujaffa
i'm terribly sorry..type-O
it's majora

Tex
I hated majora's mask, too many unnecessary cut-scenes.

Captain REX
Yes, Majora's Mask was way too damn boring. Majora was cool though, and the masks that transformed you.

I haven't played Wind Waker, and none of my friends have it. Luckily I have a free rental coupon at Blockbuster. big grin

Tex
Have fun trying to obtain a copy to rent! wacko

Captain REX
Oh yeah, I never thought of that... sick

Tex
hahahahahahahhaevil face

ToMacco
Just how far are you, Tex? I finally passed the first dungeon. Now I met the Deku Tree and he has that leaf ontop of the tree that I have to somehow get.
Why couldn't that damn chunk of wood just given me the damn leaf? No, I gotta climb up and get it myself. God damnit.

Captain REX
Because that lazy ass Deku Tree with the now cartoonishly big chin wants to make the game a challenge. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Anyway, I'm sure BF could reserve a copy for me at his Blockbuster job...because if he doesn't I'll be angry.

BackFire349
both our rental copies were stolen on teh first day, theft is really bad for the game rentals right now, we almost have none left.

Mujaffa
eek!

Tex
How can they steal it?
At my blockbuster you bring the empty case to the desk and they go digging through a bunch of drawers before they pull out the game and stick it in the case.
Impossible to steal.

ToMacco
Perhaps they just don't return it.

I don't know about anyone else, but I love the game sofar. It's second only to Ocarina of Time.

I'm in the second castle, or temple, or whatever. I fell down into that place where all those damn vines are crawling all over the treasure chest, and all.

It appears that I need to collect three pearls before I can start my real quest. I have one sofar. How far is everyone else?

BackFire349
thats teh new policy, but it hasnt gone into effect here yet, they started that new policy cuz people were stealing so many games.

ToMacco
bastards.

How far are you, Backfire?

BackFire349
second dungeon.

Julie
whoa....wrong world* backs out slowly*

ToMacco
Wow, great ass Jules!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I'm not to far on the second dungeon at all.

BackFire349
haha, yes it is a nice ass. i just started the second dungeon, barely played it.

Julie
I never made it to the dungeon....I never played this game....ah games....I want to play.....*sigh*

BackFire349
its a great game. do you have a gamecube?

Julie
nope just an x-box....I'm am waiting anxiously for KOTOR...but that won't be for quite some time

BackFire349
i wouldnt get your hopes to high for that game. ive heard pretty average reviews for it.

BackFire349
i just beat teh second dungeon.

ToMacco
Yes, I got the second pearl today. Then I went to that crappy rainy island, and that one bird looking bastard told me to go to the other island.

That's as far as I got.

BackFire349
ive stopped playing zelda on account of my new found addiction for metroid prime. its eating away at my brain, my heart, my very soul, i must play constantly or else i have withdrawls, i must find more energy tanks and missile expansions. i must scan everything, i must try and get the highest percentage possible... great game. to, get it. i never liked metroid games, but this is great. seriuosly, get it.

ToMacco
Nope, not yet, at least. I got the third pearl today.

Captain REX
BF goes from hating Metroid to trying to convert others to Metroid. What an odd week...

Sounds like you are going quick To. smile

ToMacco
I'm starting to get hooked on it. You playing it, Rexie?

BackFire349
yes i know, i dunno what my problem was before. i think its cuz i wasnt playing it right. i was playing it like an fps, which is wrong.

Tex
Yup

Theres one thing you should learn from all of this!
Tex is always rightraver

I cant wait to rent Burnout 2, that game looks fun!

ToMacco
God damnit!!!! How far along is everyone? What's with this talking about other games shit?

I wanna hear that I'm further than everyone else!

Tex
What a *****!

So is anyone excited about Mario 128?

ToMacco
laughing out loud You son of a *****. laughing out loud

BackFire349
tex isnt right, everyone else who liked metroid was, tex was still wrong.

Tex
I guess being delusional is one of the side effects of being wrong BF.stick out tongue

Zelda is hella fun, I really like it! I'm trying to beat it 100%, with the help of gay Tingle of course.

BackFire349
eyah ill start zelda again once i beat metroid.

Member.
laughing out loud

Julie
I don't believe I've ever played a Zelda game.....no wait i think I did.....uh once a long time ago...is this new one any good or do you just play it to get it overwith?

mah
em every zelda game is good

Tex
Not Majora's Maskroll eyes (sarcastic)

BackFire349
i never played majoras mask.

Captain REX
Despite the fact that you could use masks for specific things (Gorons and Zoras were the cool transformations), it still sucked like hell. Too long, too confusing, and non-Hylian (meaning it had nothing to do with Ganondorf, the Triforce, or Hyrule).

I remember when I played Ocarina of Time for the first time. It turned me into a Zelda fan forever. big grin

I don't know...it is just something about games and books about distant lands that gets me every time...

*starts reading Narnia Chronicles and LOTR while playing Zelda games*

mah
majoras mask was great. it wasnt innovative since it wasnt a real sequel to ocarina of time, but it was great. better graphics, funny characters and clock town is a good zelda town. that it wasn't in hyrule has nothing to do with it being quality or not; Link's awakening wasn't in hyrule; still considered a great zelda game

Captain REX
Um...no it's not... big grin

Okay, so Majora's Mask was okay. Maybe it's because me and my friend could never get anywhere?

Captain REX
Aren't the games supposed to go in a chronological order? I remember reading somewhere that the Ocarina of Time was to be the first in order.

Ushgarak
Now, THAT is a confusing statement if you think about it...

As part of my massive N64 emulation drive lately I started Majora's Mask the other day. It certainly hasn't hooked me in early on like Ocarina did. Great. I am a Deuk Sprout. Oh my, that is so cool I cannot describe it. I am jumping in sheer joy. Woo-hoo.

Back to Perfect Dark, I think. You know, even being able to save whenever I like, I can;t get some of the fast times on that game... grrr...

BackFire349
perfect dark was to advanced for the n64 and the frame rate suffered.

mah
but it was still highly enjoyable.

what madness are you sprouting ush? are you judging the game by the fact that you have to spend a limited amount of time getting back your original form of link?

mah

Member.
windwalker=not as good as majora's mask and ocarina of time.

Ushgarak
It is not madness at all, Mah. I am simply speaking the truth which is that Majora's Mask does not draw people into the game as well as Ocarina of Time did. That is a very valid pretext to judge a game.

mah
well it's not _as_ good of course. still a fun little thing.
played conkers bad fur day?

Ushgarak
Still downloading it.

Perfect Dark runs 100% in a decent PC, actually. it's amazing how muc better the explosions are handled, considering how inefficient th emulation process is in general.

Captain REX
I wish I could figure out how to use emulators, or what they were...

Julie
what do those do???

Captain REX
Games you can download and they have been converted for PC use. For example, Perfect Dark was an excelletn N64 game.

BackFire349
goldeneye was better.

ToMacco
On "Ocarina of Time"; it has been called the greatest game of all time by many critics. I think it is the funnest game I've ever played. And I've passed it more than two dozen times.

"Majora's Mask" was good, but it had less than half the temples, and it had a new format, which excluded Zelda and Ganon. But I still liked it. Although I've only played it through once.

"THE WIND WAKER"
I've gotten MUCH further. I sat down and played it last Sunday for four hours. I not only got the third pearl, but I placed them in the proper spots in the sea. Then I went on to defeat the Tower of the Gods. Then I went and kicked that eagles ass back at the Forsaken Fortress.

Then the plot REALLY thickened. And I love it. It has tied this game into "Ocarina of Time" perfectly. I'm not going to give it away, but this game has me HOOKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackFire349
yeah, im almost done with metroid, ill start zelda again when im done.

mah
where are you in prime, bf?

Ushgarak
Now a little further into MM, it strikes me as a cross between an old text adventure and Groundhog Day. I rather like it, actually.

Emulation is the process of a PC doing in software what a console does in hardware- basically, you run a programme which emulates a console. Likewise, you download software which emulates the cartridges.

However, emulation is inefficient. In theory, PCs and coneoles a like all come down to the same basic principle so a PC should be able to emulate any of it. In practice, PC's are just unable to do what consoles do with the same focussed efficiency.

What this basically means is that a PC needs a LOT of power to get the job done, which in turn means PCs tend to emulate things one generation behind. So, when theN64 was out I used to play a lot of emulated SNES games. These days, I play all the N64 games I never played before.

The process is imperfect. You get little glitches and the occasional crash. But. as I described above, sometimes it runs better than the originak- Perfect Dark being a good example, running at full speed and never slowing down. But on the other hand there is some texture tearing and it sometimes crashes between missions.

The OTHER advanatge of emulation, however, is that as it is all done in software you can save ANY time you like. You just press a button to save, and a button to load; it takes about a second either way. This is, of course, flagrantly cheating but it is great for some thing- for example, I never played Banjo-Tooie; I have downloaded it but I want to re-familiarise myself with the original first, so I am zooming throught hat and saving all the time to make it faster.

And I was trying to do the Perfect Dark levels fast enough to get some of the cheats but even with saving I can't bloody do some of them. Grrr.

The other problem is that a keyboard did fine to emulate a SNES joypad. The N64 is harder as it is analogue. Apparently you can get adaptors to put N64 controllers in a PC, but I do not have one. But a decent anaolgue joystick with buttons in easy reach and a Hat to emulate the C-buttons works just fine (in fact, on Lylat Wars (Starfox 64 for you Yanks) a joystick is better than the original! A bit worse on a game like Zelda though).

And now I am playing Majora's Mask on the PC. I guess in a couple of years I might be playing Wind Waker. Trouble is now people don't use cartridges any more the download time on these games will be horrendous, not to mention the space they will take up.

mah
and emulators give me great possibilities, how could I otherwise get to play the off-beat japanese title I Want To Be An Air-Traffic Controller for the game boy advance?

Tex
Perfect Dark caused eye-strain and it gave me headaches, oh the dramastick out tongue

How big is a N64 game anyways? 30MB?
Probably take forever to dl with my 56Kembarrasment

I had to start Wind Waker all over again (dont ask mad )!

Ushgarak
Yup, takes a while to get, Tex. but often worth it. Early N64 gamesa are then megs, mid ones 25 and Conker's is a whopping great 50. And you MUST have spare ram equal to the size of the 'cartridge' as well.

Tex
Seems like a hassle.
I'd rather just buy a used one on EBay for $5wink

Ushgarak
I'd rather get them for free by just waiting a little while myself, with all the advantages emulation brings.

Tex
I have the original NES Emulator, only takes 20 seconds to download those babies.
Takes just as long to get bored of themembarrasment

So where do you dl all your N64 games from anyways?

Ushgarak
Kazaa.

SNES games can be gotten quickly as well; the Final Fantasy games can keep you engaged still.

Member.
hm...roms u play on emulaters supposed to be illegal if u dont got original game.

BackFire349
im on the third floor of the phazon mines. im about 85 percent complete with teh game.

Ushgarak
You'll be amazed how much people don't care about old games, Member. The licenses have lapsed on many of them anyway.

Old PC games can be grabbed for no cost these days as well. Unless Lucasarts made them, it seems...

Captain REX
Yes, and those are incredibly low prices anyway. My friend bought Jedi Knight (brand new) for $15, and I bought it off of him for $5. big grin

Ushgarak
Lucasarts renew their licenses for their entire back catalogue, darn them.

mah
yeah you get tired of most NES games pretty quickly, but there's a whole load of fun to be had with SNES

BackFire349
snes was the best system ever.

ToMacco
Uh.. . . so. . . is anyone still playing "The Wind Waker"? Jesus Christ.

I got quite a bit further this weekend again. I got the power bracelet, the Fire/Ice arrows, then I went onto defeat the Earth Temple. Then I sailed around the entire sea and got my entire chart mapped out from that one fish you fead bait to.

Right now I have 10 heart containers, 2 bottles, and the ability to carry 99 arrows and 99 bombs.

BackFire349
im gonna start it again tommrow cuz im about done with metroid.

mah
so, is the sailing okay or does it get tedious?

Member.
hm...

Captain REX
'Hm...' should be Member's catchphrase...

I think I might need to play this Wind Waker game. A lot of you guys enjoy playin it...

BackFire349
ok, beat metroid prime finally. ending is crappy. now im starting on zelda again.

mah
ending crappy? did you have 100% of the items? surely you got to see Samus Aran in flesh and blood then?

BackFire349
yaeh, she looked lame. just some blonde chick. really disapointing.

mah
are you out of your mind? samus is teh shiznit
look at these photographic evidences; taken from the game boy advance Metroid Fusion:
http://www.kasuto.net/uploads/metroidfusionending13jpg.JPG
http://www.kasuto.net/uploads/metroidfusionending19jpg.JPG

BackFire349
yeah so she's hot. that doesnt make for a good ending. and besides, she didnt even look like that in prime. she just took off her helmet, couldnt see her body whatsoever. just her face with her hair in a pony tail.

Captain REX
I need to beat Metroid Fusion now... big grin

I finished Metroid Prime with a 68% completion of databanks. I need to go back and work on that, don't I?

So, what is Wind Waker about? What is the whole point of Link being on those islands? Sorry, I'm not in the know about that game.

Member.
w00t, sameus looks downright HOTeek!, holy s***, she looks hot. nice, big grin

BackFire349
yes, she is. she didnt look that good in prime though. although seeing her like that, looling so feminine kinda ruins her credibility as an intimidating hero as she looks when she's in the suit. and it makes you wonder how such a small looking chick can wear such a large surely heavy suit.

ToMacco
mah, sailing across the ocean doesn't get tedious, because after a while, you can warp to certain points of the game.

Rexie:
The Wind Waker takes place hunreds of years after Ocarina of Time. You've played that, havn't you? Well at the end of OoT, Ganon swears he'll return to wreak havoc on the world of Hyrule.

No one knows what had become of Hyrule, though. A legend of a great evil taking over Hyrule was passed down. Also, the legend of the boy in green who came to save the people. The boy in green defeated the evil, then disapreared himself. Not long later, the evil returned, but the boy in green did not. No one knows what became of Hyrule, or it's people.

It's really good. It's much more of a sequel than Majora's Mask was.

Tex
What are you, the local Windwaker guru?stick out tongue

Captain REX
No, but now he is! big grin

And yes, I have played the Ocarina of Time, To. The plot for Wind Waker sounds great. Not in Hyrule I take it? Also, are you saving Zelda? I wish I had reserved it, then I could have gotten the Ocarina of Time disc.

My mom asked me what I want the "Easter Bunny" to bring me, so I have something to ask for... evil face

Tex
So what are you gonna ask for?wacko

Captain REX
Bjork CDs. big grin

Ushgarak
Majora's Mask was meant to be a spin-off rather than a sequel, wasn't it? If Ocarina of Time had been a PC game like Baldur's Gate then MM would have been a data disc for it as Tales of the Sword Coast was for BG.

Or, seeing as there are some Morrowind fans around here, as Tribunal was for that.

BackFire349
it was a sequal and a spin off. i was watching a special on the zelda series on G4TV which is a gaming television network. and they interviewed the makers of the game and what not. and the makers said they had to rush out majoras mask because nintendo told them to make a new zelda game in under a year, after the huge success of ocerana. which is why many of the levels were recycled and used over and over again in the game and why the game wasnt up to the high standards set by normal zelda games.

Member.
hm...

Captain REX
That makes sense. Just goes to show that you can't rush games unless it by some miracle turns out good.

You watch G4TV too BF? I do too! Well, sometimes...

I have Wind Waker. smile

BackFire349
yeah i watch G4 all the time when nothing else is on. i hate when the people try to be funny though, they must have some pretty crappy writers.

ToMacco
Rexie, have you played it yet?

Captain REX
Yep, I squeezed in some time after church and before heading to my uncle's house for food. I got to the Forsaken Fortress. Those stupid lights are buggin the hell outta me, and crawling out of that stupid cell...

It would have been great had the graphics been like the short preview film they showed at E3 a year or three ago, but the cell-shaded is excellent anyway. And you can chop up the signs like in Ocarina of Time! Woohoo! (yes that was dorky) big grin

I've tried saying cell-shaded all day long, but I keep saying shell-shaded or shell-cated or cell-cated or some other crappy word like those.

Member.
great rpgs--->zelda: ocarina of time, golden sun 1&2, zelda:link's awakening, zelda:majoras mask

mah
zelda's are hardly rpg's. rpg lite maybe, but a better word is action-adventure

BackFire349
they're a combo of rpg and an adventure type game

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.