U.N. Reform

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
What would you like to see change about the United Nations?

And don't respond if your answer is disbandment, suppose that that's not an option.

Lord Lucien
Much tighter requirements for membership. If the U.N. has the power to sanction military action in countries, then it shouldn't function as semi-democratic assembly of any type of government. I don't like the idea of a theocratic dictatorship being able to vote on human rights/military/economic issues.

Also remove the permanent Security Council positions. Five indismissible members having veto powers is ridiculous. If such a Council is so needed, then keep the temporary, year-long memberships that are subject to election among members.

Make the ambassadors to the U.N. elected officials, as in, the populace of a nation elects him or her, not just the top brass of each country appointing them. I want every major politician to be subject to popular election/dismissal.

But other than that, disbandment.

Omega Vision
I never understood how John Bolton became America's representative to the U.N. Every time he opens his mouth he spouts nationalist bullshit.

lil bitchiness
UN is the largest organisation...and possibly the most ignored by their members.
UN charter is constantly being broken left right and centre, so perhaps they should do something about that. Implement some kind of binding agreement thing with some kind of consequences (I've no idea how this can be done, but I'm throwing it out there) for the members of that group, especially permanent members.

Omega Vision
I think the main problem with the U.N. is that at the end of the day there isn't a single member that thinks the U.N. should be able to interfere with a sovereign nation's internal affairs so long as that nation has some semblance of organization and isn't a completely failed state.

Or at best they only support such interference if it's for countries they don't like.

I think the U.N. could only live up to it's ideals if all sense of national self interest were somehow stripped away and the interest became human rights, peace, and prosperity.

As it stands the Third World uses the U.N. as a screen to hide behind and the Western World uses it as a tool to slap sanctions on countries they don't like. Russia uses it to pretend like it's still a world power.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.