Commander Shepard vs Master Cheif

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Greysen93
Commander Shepard(Soldier) vs Master Chief
They both only have assault rifles and plenty of ammo, who wins?

KingD19
Chief. As good as Shepard is, Chief is physically superior in every way going by canon. God forbid he gets in close and hits him.

FinalAnswer
I dunno about Soldier, but make Shepard a biotic and he stomps Chief

KingD19
From what Shepard as a biotic has shown, his powers would slow Chief down, but I doubt they'd stop him.

Chief weighs what, a ton or more? None of his powers even maxed out have the ability to move anything like that more than causing Chief to stagger like the more powerful opponents.

And that's only after Shepard gets through the shields. There's no guarantee Chief's armor will even be compromised.

NemeBro
Shepard as a Biotic can toss around Geth Armatures in the game.

KingD19
Not since Mass Effect 1.

Mass Effect 2 has you fighting one on Therum and it's a lot more realistic. Throw damages it, but doesn't move it. Same for Pull and Singularity, etc..

General Kaliero
I'm pretty sure the relativistic forces of a Singularity could damage Chief's armor.

NemeBro
Or having his atoms forcibly decayed by Warp.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by KingD19
From what Shepard as a biotic has shown, his powers would slow Chief down, but I doubt they'd stop him.

Chief weighs what, a ton or more? None of his powers even maxed out have the ability to move anything like that more than causing Chief to stagger like the more powerful opponents.

And that's only after Shepard gets through the shields. There's no guarantee Chief's armor will even be compromised.

A biotic in one of the Mass Effect novels casually threw a 4 ton APC.

I highly doubt Shepard would lack the ability to move Chief.

RE: Blaxican
Agreed with the consensus. Biotic Shep would have his way with the Chief. Vanguard too, by extension.

John could probably take it to any of the other classes, though.

NemeBro
Arguably, one of the techy classes could lock MC's suit, as long as he doesn't have Cortana. Soldiers in ME need more feats though.

jalek moye
Originally posted by KingD19

What's different about cheif's shields from the ones in mass effect? Not to big on halo lore so I'm actually curious

jonno2408
As much as i think Master Chief is awesome, the technology in mass effect is far beyond that of halo, mass effect barriers slow mass down to the point of still, barriers also reduce the mass of something from say a tonne to an ounce / gram.... a car would feel like a feather...
also, barriers aren't even weakened by anything other than plasma fueled/energy weapons as they have no mass and bypass the barrier directly to the shields... As for Soldier Shepard, Easier for Chief as no biotic abilities, but even then, Chief with a mere assault rifle having standard projectile weaponry would do utterly nothing to shepards barrier. Chief simply does not have the weaponry required to damage shepard.

Stealth Moose
If Shep is a biotic, Shep wins.

The description of some biotics in the canon novels indicates that they can tear up a kinetically barrier'd human in seconds if brought to bear by biotics weaker then Commander Shepard. Hell, we have people like SKarr tossing four ton vehicles sideways, and Gillian crushing people with forklifts with a mere gesture. Gillian may be high-end biotic, above the norm, but Shepard is decidedly the next best thing. Only Jack and Morinth/Samara consistently outperform Shep.

COG Veteran
Chief stomps.

Games vs is soooo dead nowadays.

Sacred 117
Would the thread starter please clarify Shepard's class? That would make this MUCH easier.

COG Veteran
It says "soldier" dude.

Sacred 117
Oh. mmm I didn't see that. Lol. Apparently neither did anyone else.

Chief has this.

XanatosForever
Assault rifles is a category for Shepard, which gives him a huge advantage. He probably melts "Cheif" with the Geth Spitfire.

Petrus
I am a fan of the ME trilogy and I love the character of Commander Shepard, but as badly as it pains me to say it, Master Chief would take this without a doubt.

XanatosForever
What makes you say that? If both of them have access to their variety of assault rifles, Shepard has a lot more potential with his greater arsenal. Not to mention that most ME assault rifles are ridiculously accurate compared to Halo's AR and SAW.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by XanatosForever
What makes you say that? If both of them have access to their variety of assault rifles, Shepard has a lot more potential with his greater arsenal. Not to mention that most ME assault rifles are ridiculously accurate compared to Halo's AR and SAW.

Maybe, but canonically, Chief has remarkable durability and reaction time. He woke up after falling from orbit, and he has a 20 millisecond reaction time (supposedly faster with Cortana). Those are difficult odds for a peak human (IIRC) to deal with.

XanatosForever
Shepard hasn't been peak human since the beginning of ME2's story arc. He was rebuilt, literally, from the ground up and enhanced with cybernetics. These two characters have more in common than you might think. The tech of the Mass Effect universe is at a higher level than Halo, especially the small arms. I also haven't gone into the abilities of the Soldier class itself.

Sacred 117
I don't know where people get Halo having inferior tech. The Forerunners, anyone?! If we're just talking basic conventional arms, then yes, Mass Effect wins. If you were to account for Soldier class abilities, you'd reasonably have to look at a Spartan's armor abilities, which makes things even more difficult.

XanatosForever
Forerunner tech is not standard, and I'd say it's only marginally above Prothean/Reaper tech. The two even out pretty well.

The MJOLNIR armor quite is impressive, I'm not saying that isn't the case. That said, the shield tech in ME is comparable, as well as variable. Chief's shields are static unless he can grab an overshield. Shepard can adjust the strength of his shields, as well as their recovery rate.

Beyond the shields, there's not much else to Chief's default armor. Abilities are separate. Soldier!Shepard's abilities are part of his suite.

In the end, I think Shepard's versatility is too much for Chief in this situation.

Sacred 117
Agreed. Granted, I haven't played the entire Mass Effect series.

I never made the case that you weren't. I know you're better than that. The thing is... Chief at least has a layer of armor beneath his shields, whereas Shepard is limited to his shield and durability. Furthermore, Shepard would need a corrupter mod to bring down his shields that easily.

By default, Chief usually has an ability. Assuming he has the hardlight shield, he could quickly get in Shepard's face (God forbid), and the cooldown time for Shepard's abilities is noticeably longer and universally applied to all of them.

Chief consistently deals with overwhelming odds of diversified opposition. That's not exactly the biggest of his worries. Chief's training, experience, and physical advantage should more than compensate for Shepard's tech.

XanatosForever
Where did you get the idea that Shepard doesn't have armor? It might not look as fancy to you as Chief's, but it is very much armor. Helmets are common with armor sets, but Shepard is usually seen without it because of the nature of storytelling, seeing his face helps convey emotion. Heh, that or Shepard's just so badass he doesn't need one. wink I also think you're both overestimating Chief's shields and underestimating Shepard's arsenal. Even the default weaponry is effective in depleting shielding without any modification.

I've never seen in an instance where Chief didn't acquire an armor ability externally. Jet packs, hardlight shields, auto sentries, every ability is modular and interchangable, but not part of the default armor suite. Shepard's abilities might be all tied to a single cooldown mechanism, but the rate of recovery varies by the ability. Shepard could hold off a hardlight wielding Chief with judicious use of Concussive Shot, which on average cools down within moments and packs force similar to, if not greater, than a concussive rifle.

So does the Commander. He multiple factions of opposition, each with their own unique, cohesive fighting forces. I would even go so far to say that Shepard's dealt with a greater variety of foes than Chief. Their training and experiences are similar enough to put them on even groind. The only point I might have trouble contending is strength, Shepard doesn't really have many out and out strength showings, while Chief does.

COG Veteran
Now that i'm thinking about it, Shepard has specialized ammo to deal specifically with shields and armor. Disruptor and then armor piercing/incendiary ammo. I'm beginning to lean towards Shep.

Sacred 117
Where did you get the idea that Shepard doesn't have armor? It might not look as fancy to you as Chief's, but it is very much armor. Helmets are common with armor sets, but Shepard is usually seen without it because of the nature of storytelling, seeing his face helps convey emotion. Heh, that or Shepard's just so badass he doesn't need one. wink I also think you're both overestimating Chief's shields and underestimating Shepard's arsenal. Even the default weaponry is effective in depleting shielding without any modification.

I've never seen in an instance where Chief didn't acquire an armor ability externally. Jet packs, hardlight shields, auto sentries, every ability is modular and interchangable, but not part of the default armor suite. Shepard's abilities might be all tied to a single cooldown mechanism, but the rate of recovery varies by the ability. Shepard could hold off a hardlight wielding Chief with judicious use of Concussive Shot, which on average cools down within moments and packs force similar to, if not greater, than a concussive rifle.

So does the Commander. He multiple factions of opposition, each with their own unique, cohesive fighting forces. I would even go so far to say that Shepard's dealt with a greater variety of foes than Chief. Their training and experiences are similar enough to put them on even groind. The only point I might have trouble contending is strength, Shepard doesn't really have many out and out strength showings, while Chief does.

Damn. Bad choice of words on my part. Lol. Didn't mean to imply Shepard had no armor AT ALL. Still, Chief's armor is volumes above Shepard's. Like I said earlier, Chief withstood a crash from orbit and got up from it unscaved. I'd say their shields are about even, but say Shepard gets by the shields, he still has the superior crash-tanking armor to deal with. Shepard's essentially trying to take down something with greater durability than a rocket ship using only an assault rifle.

From what I remember, you usually start with one in game, but it's been a while since I've actually played. I'll look back at that for you. I suppose it would also depend on the stipulations of this encounter. Anyways, the problem with comparing Concussive Shot with a concussive rifle is that the rifle has an enormously superior rate of fire, hence it's more practical for Haloverse combat situations.

You have a point there. I guess we can agree on their levels of experience. What of the core of their experience? Shepard's opposition possesses similar arsenals and abilities to his own, whereas Chief has taken on the Covenant AND forerunners. He adapted to the forces and tactics of both immediately following his first encounters with them. That speaks for him on some levels.

SpadeKing
I would question just how effective Shepard's armor is anyway since he has fought at times without it and is capable of using his abilities without the armor as well. Some of the crew members don't even wear armor. The main thing in Mass Effect seems to be shields.

As for the concussive shot... At its best, it's stated to give 600 N of force. That would mean a pro boxer's punches would stop Chief in his tracks.

Giving Shepard access to all of the suit upgrades wouldn't be any different from giving Chief access to all of his suit modifications, you could pick up suit and weapon modifications for Shepard as well anyway. Not that it would make a difference in this match. ermm

Shepard does have abilities that can help him win in a match with Chief, but not with just assault rifles. Shepard would need access to his heavy weaponry to win this. But just to put in perspective Chief's canon natural abilities, Shepard's Adrenaline Rush ability is what Chief constantly feels in combat. To be quite honest, if you account for all of Chief's physical abilities, he could win just by H2H in this match... Shouldn't be too hard considering how easily Saren walked up to Shepard.

XanatosForever
Originally posted by Sacred 117
Damn. Bad choice of words on my part. Lol. Didn't mean to imply Shepard had no armor AT ALL. Still, Chief's armor is volumes above Shepard's. Like I said earlier, Chief withstood a crash from orbit and got up from it unscaved. I'd say their shields are about even, but say Shepard gets by the shields, he still has the superior crash-tanking armor to deal with. Shepard's essentially trying to take down something with greater durability than a rocket ship using only an assault rifle.

From what I remember, you usually start with one in game, but it's been a while since I've actually played. I'll look back at that for you. I suppose it would also depend on the stipulations of this encounter. Anyways, the problem with comparing Concussive Shot with a concussive rifle is that the rifle has an enormously superior rate of fire, hence it's more practical for Haloverse combat situations.

You have a point there. I guess we can agree on their levels of experience. What of the core of their experience? Shepard's opposition possesses similar arsenals and abilities to his own, whereas Chief has taken on the Covenant AND forerunners. He adapted to the forces and tactics of both immediately following his first encounters with them. That speaks for him on some levels.

I'll give you that Chief's armor has better showings than Shepard. It has that iconic advantage, where the Commander is more variable. A gun like the Typhoon might be able to put the hurt on, since its designed for maximum armor penetration and has a high rate of fire.

Figuring out if Chief has something by default will definitely change the situation a bit, so I won't really add more to this part of the discussion.

When it comes to factions like the Geth and Cerberus, I'll agree that they have similar arsenals, though there are distinct variations. Collectors and Reapers, though, bring different things into play, and Shepard has dealt with multiple factions at once so that's comparable. The first time Shepard comes across a Husk he keeps his cool and drops it. I'm not saying a single Husk is a credible threat, but that first encounter definitely had a traumatic variable, as Shepard had never come across anything like it before, and things only got more horrifying from there, especially when he had to deal with the Collectors. Basically, I think both characters are made of sterner stuff and able to not let it phase them. Chief does still have his strength though, which I'm still unable to really counter.

Originally posted by SpadeKing
I would question just how effective Shepard's armor is anyway since he has fought at times without it and is capable of using his abilities without the armor as well. Some of the crew members don't even wear armor. The main thing in Mass Effect seems to be shields.

As for the concussive shot... At its best, it's stated to give 600 N of force. That would mean a pro boxer's punches would stop Chief in his tracks.

Giving Shepard access to all of the suit upgrades wouldn't be any different from giving Chief access to all of his suit modifications, you could pick up suit and weapon modifications for Shepard as well anyway. Not that it would make a difference in this match. ermm

Shepard does have abilities that can help him win in a match with Chief, but not with just assault rifles. Shepard would need access to his heavy weaponry to win this. But just to put in perspective Chief's canon natural abilities, Shepard's Adrenaline Rush ability is what Chief constantly feels in combat. To be quite honest, if you account for all of Chief's physical abilities, he could win just by H2H in this match... Shouldn't be too hard considering how easily Saren walked up to Shepard.

I don't recall Shepard ever fighting without some kind of armor on. As for the crew members, the only ones I can recall who didn't have on some kind of armor were biotic users, and they could amp themselves with barriers. That said, even Urdnot Wrex had armor, and he possessed biotics too. Shields definitely are a staple of the series, though, I won't deny that.

I've never thought to calculate the force behind a concussive rifle's shot, so I don't know how it scales, but the Concussive Shot, like any of his powers, would be variable due to the nature of the game. The main argument was using it to slow Chief's march with the hardlight shield on, though, and until we can figure out if Chief gets an armor ability by default, it's hard to really say what advantage it gives him.

For the sake of argument, I would say Shepard's abilities should be treated as fully upgraded, as that unnecessarily hinders him. The difference between the Commander and Chief, though, is that Shepard's suite of powers are always on hand, while Chief has a number of armor abilities available, but can only have on active. I'm not nerfing Chief, he just has less options.

There are some surprisingly powerful assault rifle that Shepard could access for the sake of this fight, but now you bring up a good point. If Chief's natural abilities are comparable to a Rushed Shepard, then there's a stark difference between them. I want to contend this, but I really don't think I have the evidence for it. Are you taking that information from a book source? I know that we've allowed books before for Chief's feats, and to my knowledge there's no ME books that would give Shepard quantifiable feats either. I don't remember Saren walking up to Shepard casually, but I could be wrong. Might it be considered a low showing, though, since it had to have happened in the events of the first game? Shepard changed significantly between ME1 and ME2.

Petrus
Master Chief was born to kill. He was genetically created as a super soldier; the elite of the elite of the elite. And he's the best of those elite x3 warriors... Shepard is a regular human enhanced by advanced cybernetics. On a straight fight, one-on-one, I don't think he could take on the Chief. Their arsenal is pretty even, so unless Shepard has some sort of huge advantage in that area, I don't think he'd win. And I'm not even a fan of Halo.

Tzeentch._
Concussive shot is maxxed out at 600 newtons (listed in its descripton in ME2).

The average boxer generates 5000 newtons of force with a punch.

So... yeah. John would giggle when the shot bounces off his rippling abs.

SpadeKing
I don't recall Shepard ever fighting without some kind of armor on. As for the crew members, the only ones I can recall who didn't have on some kind of armor were biotic users, and they could amp themselves with barriers. That said, even Urdnot Wrex had armor, and he possessed biotics too. Shields definitely are a staple of the series, though, I won't deny that.

I've never thought to calculate the force behind a concussive rifle's shot, so I don't know how it scales, but the Concussive Shot, like any of his powers, would be variable due to the nature of the game. The main argument was using it to slow Chief's march with the hardlight shield on, though, and until we can figure out if Chief gets an armor ability by default, it's hard to really say what advantage it gives him.

For the sake of argument, I would say Shepard's abilities should be treated as fully upgraded, as that unnecessarily hinders him. The difference between the Commander and Chief, though, is that Shepard's suite of powers are always on hand, while Chief has a number of armor abilities available, but can only have on active. I'm not nerfing Chief, he just has less options.

There are some surprisingly powerful assault rifle that Shepard could access for the sake of this fight, but now you bring up a good point. If Chief's natural abilities are comparable to a Rushed Shepard, then there's a stark difference between them. I want to contend this, but I really don't think I have the evidence for it. Are you taking that information from a book source? I know that we've allowed books before for Chief's feats, and to my knowledge there's no ME books that would give Shepard quantifiable feats either. I don't remember Saren walking up to Shepard casually, but I could be wrong. Might it be considered a low showing, though, since it had to have happened in the events of the first game? Shepard changed significantly between ME1 and ME2.

It's mainly all in ME3 DLC missions. Other than the beginning events of ME3, I don't think I can remember any non-DLC missions where he was forced to fight without his armor. But the parts where he was armor-less his abilities remain, just without the armor boosts that he gets. I kind of forgot about the barrier part, so that only really leaves Mordin and Kasumi who didn't wear armor but used shields.

Well the concussive shots and all the other powers have their force included in the power upgrades. Concussive shots only go up to 600 N max.

Well Saren comes in takes 3 shots to his shields (he still used shields despite having biotic powers) then he battles it out with Shepard's squad. Somehow they all end up on the ground and Saren gets off his space-surf-board-thing, throws down his weapon and just walks over to Shepard and picks him up. Shepard still has some close calls after ME1 but I doubt he would let something like that happen again. The book sources would really make this beyond an unfair matchup if Shepard is going to be limited. For Chief or any of the Spartan-IIs outside of their armor it is like a constant adrenaline rush mode. The armor itself would just largely enhance what they are capable of.

Firefly218
Commander Shep has better technology in mass effect. As a biotic shep would kick chiefs ass. Also evil shep doesn't have that moral high ground

I am Vegeta
Master chief wins

SpadeKing
Originally posted by Firefly218
Commander Shep has better technology in mass effect. As a biotic shep would kick chiefs ass. Also evil shep doesn't have that moral high ground

We're talking about the same Shepard who's biotic powers only have force about as high as the concussive shots right? Maybe as a Vanguard he could stand a chance just because he could regenerate his shielding, but I don't think getting close to Chief is a good idea if he wants to win.

DatCanadian
Can't Master Chief go invisible?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.