Human Sacrifices In The Bible

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nietzschean
I hear a lot of people say that the Judeo Christian god does not ask or condone human sacrifices like many other ancient gods of the middle east and roman empire.

I think it is kinda odd b/c the bases of christianity is just that, a contractual obligation of one man to be sacrificed for forgiveness for everybody elses sin. In ancient times it was done with not just animals but humans, it is where we get the term scapegoating shifting the blame to one thing/individual....

funny enough some ppl will justify this with, " well, human's did it and Jesus is god so it doesnt count. but, the thing is god accepted a human sacrifices and whether Jesus is god or not which is a church doctrine and not something Jesus taught, god still did it ."

The even funnier part is that god has actually commanded and explained who and how sacrifices should be made to him in the old testament from animals to humans in Exodus

I am not just talking about Abraham and his son Isaac which again some ppl will justify them with god was just testing them and didnt actually do it.

sadly, Abraham was going to do it b/c it was the norm thing to do in his time b/c ppl did sacrifice humans to the judeo god. it doesnt matter that Abraham didnt go through it.

the bible further clarifies itself tells u if u are going to sacrifice a human to god it is suppose to be your 1st child and its suppose to be precious to u and the fire must completely consume them..laughing out loud

there are verses in Leviticus which state how much a person, animal farms cost so u can exchange them so u dont have to sacrifice them to god and his priest. >_>

but, i guess ppl dont read the bible and still like to pretend god never said that in the bible..

discuss

kmPo-M-afRM

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Nietzschean
I think it is kinda odd b/c the bases of christianity is just that, a contractual obligation of one man to be sacrificed for forgiveness for everybody elses sin.

Jesus sacrificed himself, he had magic powers, he could have escaped if he wanted to. More to the point Christians didn't sacrifice him and the guy who got him killed now has a name synonymous with betrayal. (Actually I find the whole hating Judas thing to be strange but that's a different discussion)

The even funnier part is that god has actually commanded and explained who and how sacrifices should be made to him in the old testament from animals to humans in Exodus

"New covenant sealed in my blood . . ." yadda yadda yadda

sadly, Abraham was going to do it b/c it was the norm thing to do in his time b/c ppl did sacrifice humans to the judeo god. it doesnt matter that Abraham didnt go through it.

How exactly were people sacrificing to the judeochristian god before Abraham? Judaism is supposed to have started with him.

Nietzschean
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
Jesus sacrificed himself, he had magic powers, he could have escaped if he wanted to. More to the point Christians didn't sacrifice him and the guy who got him killed now has a name synonymous with betrayal. (Actually I find the whole hating Judas thing to be strange but that's a different discussion)

"New covenant sealed in my blood . . ." yadda yadda yadda

How exactly were people sacrificing to the judeochristian god before Abraham? Judaism is supposed to have started with him.
u are aware that jesus was made to fulfill his mission and jesus didnt want to die but did it b/c it was god's will as he said in the garden.

the judeo god set everything in motion for it to happen and knew exactly the outcome. by your logic no god asks or commands sacrifices b/c its the followers doing it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

the new covenant are all church doctrine not based on early scriptural teachings. basically i dont care. god commanded and accepted human sacrifices in the old and new testament.

not playing semantics with u. god had his followers kill in the bible in his name. whether they were known as isrealites or not.

Symmetric Chaos
u are aware that jesus was made to fulfill his mission and jesus didnt want to die but did it b/c it was god's will as he said in the garden.

Christianity traditionally interprets Jesus's death as ultimately voluntary.

Also he comes back.

the judeo god set everything in motion for it to happen and knew exactly the outcome. by your logic no god asks or commands sacrifices b/c its the followers doing it. roll eyes (sarcastic)

No, by my logic the Roman citizens who demanded Jesus be executed were not Christians.

the new covenant are all church doctrine not based on early scriptural teachings. basically i dont care. god commanded and accepted human sacrifices in the old and new testament.

You haven't really given a satisfying example of the judeochristian god accepting human sacrifices in the new testament. Are there example you can think of that don't involve Jesus? The "new covenant" thing makes the old testament much less important to a discussion of Christianity.

jisrealites

eek!

dadudemon

Uhhh, no. The suffering that Jesus did not want to go through was the infinite amount of pain and anguish he had to endure by taking the sins of the world upon himself.

The death part was the easy part.

You mean "human sacrifices", of course. And, no, the closest we got was a troll request to test Abraham.

god commanded and accepted human sacrifices in the old and new testament.

Nah. I think you're muddying up definitions specifically to demonize a specific religion for teh lulz. There's no enough Christians on this board that would care to even entertain this type of trolling.

Nietzschean

Nietzschean
Originally posted by dadudemon
Uhhh, no. The suffering that Jesus did not want to go through was the infinite amount of pain and anguish he had to endure by taking the sins of the world upon himself.

The death part was the easy part.

Nah. I think you're muddying up definitions specifically to demonize a specific religion for teh lulz. There's no enough Christians on this board that would care to even entertain this type of trolling.

that is theological argument, it is an unsupportive personal opinion without doctrine support. u are simply asserting it. the fact is Jesus did not want to go through it whatever the fear was.. I doubt many ppl would be willing to be sacrificed and undergo any pain.

I am not muddying anything but i am demonizing a religion that is immoral which ppl refuse to believe.

Ezekiel 20:25-26 :

“Moreover I gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not have life; and I defiled them through their very gifts in making them offer by fire all their first-born, that I might horrify them; I did it that they might know that I am the LORD.”

dadudemon
that is theological argument, it is an unsupportive personal opinion without doctrine support. u are simply asserting it. the fact is Jesus did not want to go through it whatever the fear was.. I doubt many ppl would be willing to be sacrificed and undergo any pain.

You mean you don't like it that someone pointed out your ignorance of Christian Theology, right? Cool.

But you'd rather believe that a demi-God, who could raise people from the dead including Himself, was referring to being scared of dying?

Good job.

I am not muddying anything but i am demonizing a religion that is immoral which ppl refuse to believe.

No, you're trolling because you saw some atheists do it and want to be cool and "smart" like they are.

Ezekiel 20:25-26 :

Moreover I gave them statutes that were not good and ordinances by which they could not have life; and I defiled them through their very gifts in making them offer by fire all their first-born, that I might horrify them; I did it that they might know that I am the LORD.

Says quite clearly, to me, that Israel polluted and perverted God's laws and did bad things in the name of God.

I guess you'd know that if you knew the background of this chapter. Instead, ignorant theist-haters pull scripture out of context to fit a religion hating agenda.

Here's the background: the Jews had perverted the mosaic law into an amalgamation of polytheism and the mosaic law. They were doing all sorts of sh*tty things in the name of "God" such as human sacrifice to multiple gods. They were in a state of apostasy. God is not saying he delivered those laws to them: he is saying that people twisted His words into such a state.

Read it like this:

Moreover, their perversions made it like I gave them bad statutes and human-sacrifice ordinances; and they made it seem like I defiled them through their very gifts of first-born human sacrifice, so that they might paint me as trying to scare them into submission, and they claimed these actions in my name to make them fear me.

Basically, the verses are to show the Israel was libeling God. "OH LOOK! God said to do THIS! MWhahahaha." evil face evil face evil face evil face

Little has changed. People still pervert "holy writ" for their own endeavors. By the way, you're just as guilty as anyone else.

Edit - Here is a listing of an long apologetic to the atheists you are leeching and botching your arguments from:

http://www.apologeticspress.org/APContent.aspx?category=12&article=2775

Nietzschean
I am far from ignorant on christianity since i actually studied it in school..stick out tongue
did u go to college and take any secular religious cultural mythology classes?
bro.. the verse i posted is referencing something god commanded and it doesnt say he stopped them from doing it. erm

sorry apologetics dont fly for me the same way truthology doesnt fly with me.

a sacrifice to god is a still a sacrifice an aside from atheist experience their are secular archeologist whose stance is ancient Israelites did preform human sacrifices to their god.

in exodus God said in the same sentences 1st born sons and animals are to sanctified to him and goes on to explain how sanctifying is to be preform by having them burn them utterly.

in leviticus like i said their verses that gives the price of how much ppl, animals, lands are worth so they arent given to god. aka keep them from being sacrificed. wink

Symmetric Chaos

I'm not sure you understand what apologetics is. You sort of just said that you will never accept any explanation.

dadudemon
I am far from ignorant on christianity since i actually studied it in school..stick out tongue

Oh, well, then that changes everything.

Yes.

Now what? smile

bro.. the verse i posted is referencing something god commanded and it doesnt say he stopped them from doing it. erm

My rebuttal is what I posted already. Nice try but fail.

So you'll ignore the rebuttal to your arguments? Good to know. derpy do?

a sacrifice to god is a still a sacrifice an aside from atheist experience their are secular archeologist whose stance is ancient Israelites did preform human sacrifices to their god.

Yeah, and some Christians molest kids like it is going out of style.

My rebuttal to what you said is also the same thing I already stated, by the way.

in exodus God said in the same sentences 1st born sons and animals are to sanctified to him and goes on to explain how sanctifying is to be preform by having them burn them utterly.

I rebutted that point already, by the way, with the apologetics.

in leviticus like i said their verses that gives the price of how much ppl, animals, lands are worth so they arent given to god. aka keep them from being sacrificed. wink

Since we're making up what "holy writ" means, it actually means how many hit points they have in their ancient RPG games.

Nietzschean
I'm not sure you understand what apologetics is. You sort of just said that you will never accept any explanation. I know what apologetics is. it is the theological interpretation of scripture and view.

it is how one person can read one verse and ppl get different views off of it without any support other than their own personal view opinion.

I am willing to listen to your specific view if u like. but, i prefer that u use historical evidence and specific text.

my stance is that ancient isrealites and followers of god killed and sacrifice ppl to him. it is a mainstream view by certain archeologist bye looking at certain regions and cultural customs of the area of that time.

ppl today look at a verse today and assume the ancient ppl had and shared the same view as us. some ppl will argue today that sanctifying a person to god is spiritual call through ceremony of a symbolic act of fire walking b/c modern ppl more than likely detest a literal translation of an actual sacrifice.

the think is u have to look at verses in the context of that time frame and within the story that it takes place and the ppl involved. a wrathful god who killed 1st borns of other nations, smited 100's of ppl for the actions of a handful of ppl.

the customs of the time by those around them.

Nietzschean

dadudemon

lil bitchiness

The "new covenant" thing makes the old testament much less important to a discussion of Christianity.

This. Exactly this.

Robtard
This is a funny thread. Continue.

LiL, B. Show me your anus, now.

lil bitchiness
Ew, wtf, no. At least romance me a little bit first. Pfffft!

Shakyamunison
laughing

Robtard
Originally posted by lil bitchiness
Ew, wtf, no. At least romance me a little bit first. Pfffft!

So you're telling me yes, barring conditions are met first. Good, good.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard

Are you Dilbert?

dadudemon
This is a funny thread. Continue.

LiL, B. Show me your anus, now.

Ew, wtf, no.

I expect this. ^

At least romance me a little bit first. Pfffft!

I did NOT expect this. ^ no expression

laughing

You sick, man. I picture you rubbing, your hands together slowly while saying "Gooood.. heh heh heh... GOOOOooodd."

lil bitchiness

Tizak, tizak maftouh, ya m3lem. lol lol

lil bitchiness
Originally posted by dadudemon

I expect this. ^

I did NOT expect this. ^ no expression

laughing

You sick, man. I picture you rubbing, your hands together slowly while saying "Gooood.. heh heh heh... GOOOOooodd."

lol I did not expect myself to answer it like that either. Impulsive post.

Shakyamunison
lol I did not expect myself to answer it like that either. Impulsive post.

It cracked me up. big grin

Robtard
Tizak, tizak maftouh, ya m3lem. lol lol

Sorry, I don't speak terrorist.

lil bitchiness
Sorry, I don't speak terrorist.

That is hilarious on so many levels. I lol'd.

You should speak terrorist. What if they're plotting against you and you don't know!?
That's the way I look at it.

This is inclusive of all, except Germans, cos in German everything already sounds like a death threat.

OMFG Go away, Robtard! You're making me be all politically incorrect and inappropriate.

Robtard
That is hilarious on so many levels. I lol'd.

You should speak terrorist. What if they're plotting against you and you don't know!?
That's the way I look at it.

This is inclusive of all, except Germans, cos in German everything already sounds like a death threat.

OMFG Go away, Robtard! You're making me be all politically incorrect and inappropriate.

It's impossible to be un-PC when discussing terrorist and Germans.

Show me your anus and I will.

RE: Blaxican
Rob is so smooth. lmfao

siriuswriter

and yadda yadda yadda...

Well, dear, I'm glad you went to school for one thing.

ETA: italics in quote mine.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.