The Marvel Family Vs Thor Family

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
Billy
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/2532/159585-42413-captain-marvel_large.jpg
Captain Marvel Jr.
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/1/11275/349563-170609-freddy-freeman_large.jpg
Mary Marvel
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/29754/696300-marymarvel_am_large.jpg

vs

Thor
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/3/30665/2127455-thor__14__large.jpg
Thunderstrike
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/10/100776/1944052-thunders_large.png
Thor Girl
http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/8/83789/1893826-tarene_016_large.jpg

Prep-Man
bump!

CosmicComet
um.

wow @ that pic.

anyway, marvel family.

Diesldude
Originally posted by CosmicComet
um.

wow @ that pic.

anyway, marvel family.

They drew her like she is standing right in front of your face. Damn!!!

Don Corleone
I feel like I'm about to get a lap dance.

Marvel for the win !

JakeTheBank
Thor Family.

Power sharing is a huge hindrance here for the Marvel Family. Cap at roughly 1/3 power isn't going to be able to stalemate, much less beat, Thor. And Thunderstrike and Thor Girl are more than capable of holding their own against CM3 and Mary likewise sharing the Power of Shazam.

abhilegend
Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Thor Family.

Power sharing is a huge hindrance here for the Marvel Family. Cap at roughly 1/3 power isn't going to be able to stalemate, much less beat, Thor. And Thunderstrike and Thor Girl are more than capable of holding their own against CM3 and Mary likewise sharing the Power of Shazam.
Cap isn't at 1/3 of power when power sharing. That would mean all three are at the same power level which is simply not true.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by abhilegend
Cap isn't at 1/3 of power when power sharing. That would mean all three are at the same power level which is simply not true.

The Power of Shazam is shared three ways between them (hence why I said roughly 1/3 power). If Cap is the sole reciprient of the Power of Shazam, then he's at his normal levels. If Mary is using the Power of Shazam as well, they're at equal powers. And if Freddy is likewise tapping into the same source of power, then its further diluted. Either way, sharing the Power of Shazam with Freddy and Mary makes Captain Marvel significantly less formidable than he'd be normally, and as such, he wouldn't be able to hang with Thor for an extended period of time.

Batman-Prime
Is the pic of Mary from an comic or fanart?

abhilegend
The Power of Shazam is shared three ways between them (hence why I said roughly 1/3 power). If Cap is the sole reciprient of the Power of Shazam, then he's at his normal levels. If Mary is using the Power of Shazam as well, they're at equal powers. And if Freddy is likewise tapping into the same source of power, then its further diluted. Either way, sharing the Power of Shazam with Freddy and Mary makes Captain Marvel significantly less formidable than he'd be normally, and as such, he wouldn't be able to hang with Thor for an extended period of time.
Nope, they aren't. It doesn't work that way. Cap has been more powerful than mary and freddy combined.

JakeTheBank
Nope, they aren't. It doesn't work that way. Cap has been more powerful than mary and freddy combined.

Yeah, it does. It's been a huge focal point around Billy's character that he was willing to make himself weaker for his family.

But even if we assume that to be true and Cap gets something like 60% of the power of Shazam and Mary gets 20% and Freddy gets 20%, that's still not enough for them to win this.

abhilegend
Yeah, it does. It's been a huge focal point around Billy's character that he was willing to make himself weaker for his family.

But even if we assume that to be true and Cap gets something like 60% of the power of Shazam and Mary gets 20% and Freddy gets 20%, that's still not enough for them to win this.
Yeah and latter writer almost always disregarded it.

I can't give you a numerical value but I have never found cap any weaker in any of his portrayals with power sharing where it wasn't intended to make him weaker through power sharing.

JakeTheBank
Yeah and latter writer almost always disregarded it.

I can't give you a numerical value but I have never found cap any weaker in any of his portrayals with power sharing where it wasn't intended to make him weaker through power sharing.

It's been consistent in the Power of Shazam ongoing and again referenced in Trials of Shazam and again in JSA. Power sharing making Billy weaker was a core and fundamental aspect of his character in that he was willing to give up awesome power for the sake of his family. There's no good reason why we should ignore it in a forum setting.

abhilegend
It's been consistent in the Power of Shazam ongoing and again referenced in Trials of Shazam and again in JSA. Power sharing making Billy weaker was a core and fundamental aspect of his character in that he was willing to give up awesome power for the sake of his family. There's no good reason why we should ignore it in a forum setting.
Then there are portrayals like AC 768, JLA/Titans, JLA:World without grown ups and even in the JSA where it wasn't shown to be any significant issue for billy.

JakeTheBank
Then there are portrayals like AC 768, JLA/Titans, JLA:World without grown ups and even in the JSA where it wasn't shown to be any significant issue for billy.

If powers/abilities and the dynamics in which they work are flat out ignored for no good reason that's the very definition of PIS.

abhilegend
If powers/abilities and the dynamics in which they work are flat out ignored for no good reason that's the very definition of PIS.
Yeah, but a few times not if they happen regularly. You think cap stalemating superman in a game of mercy in AC 768 is PIS, be my guest.

JakeTheBank
Yeah, but a few times not if they happen regularly.

The ongoing series of PoS was the definitive authority on all things Shazam at the time. After that, the Trials of Shazam. And after that, that arc in JSA, all of which specifically mention the dynamic power sharing between the Marvel Family. The idea that Billy Batson willingly shares a portion of his power with his family was an integral part of his character and likewise mentioned several times after Mary and Freddy were introduced. Black Adam was even shown to be subject to power sharing as means to mirror Billy's own family, albeit in a dark reflection of sorts.

So again, there's no good reason to assume that power sharing wouldn't be in effect by default when its the natural status quo for the Marvel Family in Shazam-centric related books. Other writers not doing their research or caring enough to attempt to in the first place doesn't invalidate that. Jeph Loeb portrayed Batman as being surprised that Captain Marvel was a kid around Robin's age in Public Enemies....even though Batman had already met Captain Marvel and knew of his identity years before. Of course, Jeph Loeb gives two shits about what's going on in other titles or other character's backstories when writing his own to begin with.

You think cap stalemating superman in a game of mercy in AC 768 is PIS, be my guest.

What does Superman have to do with this at all?

SamZED
Originally posted by Prep-Man

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/2/29754/696300-marymarvel_am_large.jpg

I got nothing to say on the topic. Just gonna quote this.

Quick Freeze
What were the pictures used??

DarkSaint85
What does Superman have to do with this at all?

Jake, always cutting right to the heart of things.

Adam Grimes
I never got to know him. sad

zopzop
Thor family with ease.

BruceSkywalker
Thor fam stomps

Flyattractor
To take in the Full Meaning of the Name SHAZAM and the Thor Fam should stand No Chance What So Ever.
Even with their Magic Crutch Hammers.

Quick Freeze
Thor might beat Billy one on one, but three Thor's against him with Mary & Freddy? Hell no

Flyattractor
If you are going to use THAT Logic then neither TS or TG shoudl be their since All get their Powers From Thor But if Thor is there Neither of them Would HAVE any Powers.

SHAZAM Wins!

DarkSaint85
Except power sharing is a thing with the Marvels. It was a huge plot point.

Flyattractor
Only really in the Power of Shazam series from the 90's. This is DC. Choose your Reboot.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.