DC Launches New He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Comic

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Adam_PoE

BlackZero30x
I hope this is awesome!

BruceSkywalker
dunno what to think, but will give it a try

abhilegend
Art looks great.

DARTH POWER
Launched by DC.. So I guess if it sells we could get modern day He-Man/Superman crossover.

abhilegend
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Launched by DC.. So I guess if it sells we could get modern day He-Man/Superman crossover.
Yeah, I hope so.

Batman-Prime
I hope Eternia will be just an Galaxy away and located in the DCnU. Why not, He-Man is awesome and it would be quite cool to see him interact with the main DCnU heroes from time to time. Not just in some alternate realities.

I for sure will get this He-Man run. Though the last He-Man designs were decent too.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by abhilegend
Yeah, I hope so. thumb up I really do also!

Originally posted by Batman-Prime
I hope Eternia will be just an Galaxy away and located in the DCnU. Why not, He-Man is awesome and it would be quite cool to see him interact with the main DCnU heroes from time to time. Not just in some alternate realities.

I for sure will get this He-Man run. Though the last He-Man designs were decent too.

I like how this is (at least visually) based around the original! Having He-Man and Superman cross over would be sweet but I would LOVE to see He-Man crossover into the DCnU earth or possibly the justice league, or a wide array of characters crossover to eternia....

OMFG! Imagine a story where Skeletor fights beside the Legion of Doom!

Cogito
I'd read it, for sure.

Adam_PoE
In July, DC Comics is launching a brand new, six-issue He-Man and the Masters of the Universe comic, trying to attract a whole new audience to those once familiar characters while still retaining the fandom of those who already loved it. Written by James Robinson with art by Philip Tan, the comic will update the concepts behind the toys for a modern audience.

The He-Man comic will be based on the 1980s media franchise that was built around a line of popular action figures and toys. In fact, Masters of the Universe was once so popular that the toys spawned two TV cartoon series and several spin-off lines of action figures, plus a live-action film.

Just like the cartoon, the He-Man comic takes place in the land of Eternia. But in the new comic, the evil Skeletor has already taken over the world, and Eternia's heroes have forgotten their "Master-ful" nature. A character called the "Sorceress" awakens He-Man to his true purpose, and he embarks on a quest to restore the rest of the group.

For the He-Man comic, Robinson is working with artist Philip Tan, with whom he was rumored to have been working on the Hawkman relaunch last year. Instead, Tan launched Hawkman with Tony Daniel, but then left when a new creative team came on board that title.

Before that, Tan provided art for DC series like Green Lantern and Batman and Robin. On He-Man, Tan will be working with inker Ruy Jose to update the well-known characters for Robinson's story.

Newsarama talked with Robinson to get the scoop on what readers can expect from the He-Man and the Masters of the Universe comic.

Newsarama: James, since this is a licensed property, is your approach a little different? And are you working with Mattel at all?

James Robinson: Yes, and I've been trying to come up with a story that suits my writing style and has a kind of new, creative approach to the story, but at the same time, is something Mattel can get behind, something that's not so crazy and off-the-wall that it changes the franchise in any way. So I do work with DC in Burbank, and also with people at Mattel.

Nrama: Can you describe how you've found that balance?

Robinson: It really is a balance. That's a good way of describing it, because I recognize that readers are going to want to see the things they recognize, but there should also be an expectation of originality. So on one level, it's a toy franchise, but on another level, it will be this exciting, epic struggle.

I'm making it much bigger. I'm giving it more of a grandiose feel that marries Conan and science fiction and science fantasy.

This whole storyline is so that we can tell a compelling story that works for people who have loved Masters of the Universe since they first saw it as a kid on TV and read all the prior comic books. It will work on that level.

But it also works as an introduction to the characters and the world for people who are picking it up for the first time.

And we're seeing it through the fresh eyes of Philip Tan.

Nrama: What's it been like working with Phil Tan?

Robinson: It's been fantastic. I'm getting all kinds of concept art, and he and I have been communicating about the approach we want to take on this.

He's bringing a more sophisticated and artistically nuanced depiction to both the characters and to the world of Eternia than existed prior to now.

Based on the character concepts I've seen, I think fans will be very happy, and we'll have some fun doing this book together.

Nrama: What is He-Man like when we meet him in the comic?

Robinson: When you first meet him, he's just a humble woodsman named Adam, who knows his place in the world. He's keeping his head down to avoid the villainous Skeletor, who's ruling all of Eternia, which is the land of He-Man.

The story is about him coming to terms with the fact that there's more to him than this simple life, and slowly taking the mantle of He-Man as he goes on this odyssey across Eternia and reacquaints himself with his fellow Masters of the Universe, who have also forgotten their past lives. So they need to have that past lives remembered for them.

Nrama: How did you approach Skeletor?

Robinson: As you can see with the artistic representation, he's a barbarian with a skull face. He should be terrifying. And obviously, in the cartoon, he wasn't.

So whilst not negating what came before, or treating it like it was childish, I'm treating Skeletor as more of a villain and more of a worthy adversary for He-Man.

Nrama: What other fan-favorite characters are featured in your story so far?

Robinson: Obviously, you'll see He-Man and all the major characters. They'll all make important and exciting appearances in the series at certain points.

You're going to see He-Man, you're going to see Man-At-Arms, you're going to see Teela, you're going to see Stratos. Of course, you'll see Skeletor, and as I said, he'll be the character you know, but more terrifying. You're going to see Beast Man. Who else? Sorceress. You're going to see all those characters along the way.

But each issue will slowly introduce one character, then the next character, so that it's not going to be this sort of mess of characters all introduced at once. You'll really get to understand who those characters are and enjoy their reappearance and their reintroduction into this universe of Eternia, and the world of He-Man and the Maters of the Universe.

Nrama: Were you familiar with He-Man before, or was this something where you heard about the project and started researching?

Robinson: I was not familiar with He-Man, but that was part of why I was attracted to it as a challenge, to familiarize myself with these characters. The one thing I'm very keen on doing is to not insult or offend people who have enjoyed that series in the past. You know, there are children's shows that I remember that, to me, are a vivid and cherished part of my upbringing. And I hate it when people make fun of them and say how corny they are or how dumb they are. And I know for certain people of a certain age, He-Man is a huge part of their past. People who have communicated with me via Twitter or in other ways have basically been very supportive and are very excited that I'm doing this for them. And I don't want to let them down and disrespect the core of these characters.

But at the same time, I feel like this project is also a challenge to write a story that will entertain them as adults, and I think we've done that.

Adam_PoE

Adam_PoE
http://media.dcentertainment.com/sites/default/files/comic-covers/2012/05/HE-MAN_Cv2.jpg

Adam_PoE
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=76587&d=1339342551

Information about the series, including information for each issue as it is released can be found at the DC Comics Masters of the Universe main page.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=76587&d=1339342551

Need to be logged into the forum to see that

Sr J-Bieb

roughrider
I suppose if we wait long enough, DC will release a Looney Tunes comic series since that is owned by Warner Bros. as well. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Just wait for the universal crossover (they will be on Earth 53!): Superman meets Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd meets Lex Luthor, Marvin the Martian meets J'onn J'onzz - it will be awesome. stick out tongue

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by roughrider
I suppose if we wait long enough, DC will release a Looney Tunes comic series since that is owned by Warner Bros. as well. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Just wait for the universal crossover (they will be on Earth 53!): Superman meets Bugs Bunny, Elmer Fudd meets Lex Luthor, Marvin the Martian meets J'onn J'onzz - it will be awesome. stick out tongue Except this is being published by DC under sources (well one at least) that work closely with DC.

It's got a decent chance of being ported. Not that it'd make the series any better but the possibility of He-Man being a DC mainstay is a very appealing thought. Just look at his muscles, and now imagine him with notable ripped heroes like Batman, Superman, Billy, and Hal.

roughrider
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb

It's got a decent chance of being ported. Not that it'd make the series any better but the possibility of He-Man being a DC mainstay is a very appealing thought. Just look at his muscles, and now imagine him with notable ripped heroes like Batman, Superman, Billy, and Hal.

Yes. DC is still trying to find their equivalent for Thor, aren't they? wink

Galan007
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Except this is being published by DC under sources (well one at least) that work closely with DC.

It's got a decent chance of being ported. Not that it'd make the series any better but the possibility of He-Man being a DC mainstay is a very appealing thought. Just look at his muscles, and now imagine him with notable ripped heroes like Batman, Superman, Billy, and Hal. It all depends on sales. If this book sells well (and does so consistently) then I have no doubt that it will eventually be absorbed into the 'mainstream' DCU.

And He-Man is far too sexy of a character to not sell well, IMO.

Endless Mike
I always preferred Thundercats

But that is the best Skeletor picture I have ever seen

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Galan007
It all depends on sales. If this book sells well (and does so consistently) then I have no doubt that it will eventually be absorbed into the 'mainstream' DCU.

And He-Man is far too sexy of a character to not sell well, IMO. Yeah. Mine was based on the assumption that it'd sell. Perhaps a little presumptuous, but still.
Although even if it didn't, they'd still kind of have him under their label. Eventually... eventually.

My word does the sweat glisten off his perfectly sculpted body. It should go as planned for one so manly.

roughrider
He-Man is a nickname for pre-schoolers. If someone created that name for a character now, it would be for parody use, just like Superduperman once upon a time for MAD magazine.

JakeTheBank
Man, it would be pretty cool to see He-Man crossover into the mainstream DCnU and whoop some ass.

Galan007
I thought the first issue was exceptional. I'll definitely be following this. thumb up

-Pr-
First issue was solid, and an interesting plot unfolding too. Definitely will be reading issue 2.

BlackZero30x
I just read issue one. I love the setup! My first reaction to this book after finishing it was "this has lots of potential! The setup up was really good and I loved the art"! Totally worth the buy!

Golgo13
1st issue was boring as hell. Glad Keith is on the title. I think he can save it.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Golgo13
1st issue was boring as hell. Glad Keith is on the title. I think he can save it.

you didn't like the fact this takes place after skeletor had already won and clearly has some sort of spell on eternia? also how could you not enjoy the fight with beastman?!

Golgo13
Are you talking about the Robinson 1st issue? Didn't care for it. There is also a online comic that's actually pretty good.

BlackZero30x
Originally posted by Golgo13
Are you talking about the Robinson 1st issue? Didn't care for it. There is also a online comic that's actually pretty good.

yea I was talking about #1. I know Im a little late on it as it came out awhile ago but I just got the chance to read it. I loved everything about that issue! I didn't know about the online comic. Whats it like/about?

Golgo13
It's called Master's of The Universe. 1st issue was by Geoff Johns, I think, but there are rotating writers on it. And it's about all the different characters of Eternia and origins and pasts, I believe. I have a shitty memory, so that's all I can remember, lol.

BlackZero30x
ooh lol I will look it up for sure! I have always loved He-Man! I have his replica sword lol

-K-M-
I actually didn't like the first issue, and my opinion is equal to the opinions of 10 men thus the comic was inadequate. End discussion.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.