The Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), SOPA 2.0

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

inimalist
http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-cispa-legislation-seen-by-many-as-sopa-20-20120409,0,259413.story

Not to say I called it, but:

Originally posted by inimalist
This wont be the end of the MPAA and RIAA's attempts to pass this legislation, and when the issue is finally tied to national security and chinese hackers it will go through

though the RIAA and MPAA don't seem to be as directly attached to this one. I'm surprised there was no mention of Anonymous or Wikileaks as "potential threats".

j6BKU9mCnn0

Symmetric Chaos
I'm not sure if I understand this but as far as I can tell it gives corporations more discretion to use information they're already collecting. It isn't exactly that the government can order them to give up the data. I thought they could do that kind of thing anyway? Don't they sell a lot of this information?

jinXed by JaNx
When are we going to get another matrix movie?

red g jacks
One reason CISPA would be useful for government agencies hoping to conduct additional surveillance is that, under existing federal law, any person or company who helps someone "intercept any wire, oral, or electronic communication" -- unless specifically authorized by law -- could face criminal charges. CISPA would overrule those privacy protections.

Technology trade associations, and a few tech companies, are backing CISPA not because they necessarily adore it, but because they view it as preferable to a Democrat-backed bill that's more regulatory.

But last year's Democratic bill, backed by then-Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.), had privacy problems of its own. Civil liberties groups including the Electronic Frontier Foundation opposed Lieberman's bill, warning last year that it would have given "companies new rights to monitor our private communications and pass that data to the government."

After the Senate failed to approve either CISPA or Lieberman's bill, Obama responded last month by signing a cybersecurity executive order. It doesn't rewrite privacy laws, and instead expands "real time sharing of cyberthreat information" to companies that operate critical infrastructure, asks NIST to devise cybersecurity standards, and proposes a "review of existing cybersecurity regulation."Privacy backlash against CISPA cybersecurity bill gains traction

i'm curious as to what the specific privacy concerns are here. is there a problem with the very idea of companies sharing this kind of information with the government/other companies or are people just worried they'll use the info for dubious purposes?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.