Top 10 Over-rated films

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
Could you all give me a list of all the films you think are over-rated? Mine are bellow! Sorry; the title says top 10, but it can be top 5. I can't think of 10 @ the moment. (There not in any particular order so there not best to worst or anything.
1. Iron-Man
2. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (I like it but not the best by far)
3. Wall-e
4. Batman & the Dark Knite
5. Thor
There may be more, but I can't think of any @ the moment.

Kazenji
Thor is far from Overrated.

ares834
Thor? WTF?

Anyway, I gotta go with Inception. It's a good movie but not nearly as great as the fan-boys make it out to be. Plus it's riddled with plot holes.

Patient_Leech
I agree with Inception and The Dark Knight.

Not only is Captain America overrated, it sucks.

Kazenji
Glad your opinion isn't fact.

rudester
You didn't like Wall-E? You Jerk..

Wall-E was epic for a cartoon movie, not for a real live movie.

There was so many movies that didn't make that list, like Twilight?

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by rudester

That's because those movies are complete bullshit. They aren't really given any legitimacy at all.

I'd like a thread for UNDERRATED movies... the underdogs.

sterling archer
1. step brothers
2. superbad
i thought those two were over-rated

marwash22
1. LotR
2. LotR 2
3. LotR 3
4. LotR
5. LotR3
6. LotR2
7. LotR
8. LotR3
9. LotR2
10. LotR

srankmissingnin
1: Scareface
2: The Matrix
3-10: The collected works of Tarantino (with the possible exception of Reservoir Dogs)

the ninjak
Your faces are over-rated!!!! mad

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by ares834
Thor? WTF?

Anyway, I gotta go with Inception. It's a good movie but not nearly as great as the fan-boys make it out to be. Plus it's riddled with plot holes. Well, I've heard a lot of people say Thor's really good! Maybe not quite a masterpeace, but good. I thought it was average @ the most. Nothing speciel at all.

C-3POTheClever

I honestly don't understand why people like Wall-e; I don't want to offend anyone who likess ut, but seriously. Most of the Pixar films I like, but Wall-e's just booring. There's very little speech in it. How is that good?

C-3POTheClever

There was so many movies that didn't make that list, like Twilight? I've never properly seen Twilights, so I can't really about that. I've just seen glimpses of it @ a club I went to. From what I saw of it, it seemed pretty rubbish, but I haven't seen enough of it to say it's over-rated.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by marwash22
1. LotR
2. LotR 2
3. LotR 3
4. LotR
5. LotR3
6. LotR2
7. LotR
8. LotR3
9. LotR2
10. LotR
LOTR??? Realy??? That film's quite possibly my all time favourite. 20 points out of 20!

marwash22
LotR movies are good but they are very much the definition of overrated.

roughrider
Originally posted by C-3POTheClever
I honestly don't understand why people like Wall-e; I don't want to offend anyone who likess ut, but seriously. Most of the Pixar films I like, but Wall-e's just booring. There's very little speech in it. How is that good?

You know, you can tell a story with very little dialogue. That's how the movies started, you know, as silents. Criticizing a film for little dialogue isn't valid. But I guess some people resent having to make their brains work harder to follow a story and piece it together; they prefer everything be told to them (reality TV is where they are most at home.)

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
1: Scareface
2: The Matrix
3-10: The collected works of Tarantino (with the possible exception of Reservoir Dogs)

Scareface? stick out tongue But seriously, yeah, I think Scarface is kind of overrated. I mean, it was well done, I guess, but he was just so damn self-destructive that it was unpleasant to watch. No wonder the rappers like it, though. They all strive to be like him.

But you're crazy about The Matrix and Tarantino. I'll give you Death Proof and Jackie Brown, but Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction are effing excellent.

ares834
On a different not I always thought the Godfathers were vastly overrated.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Scareface? stick out tongue But seriously, yeah, I think Scarface is kind of overrated. I mean, it was well done, I guess, but he was just so damn self-destructive that it was unpleasant to watch. No wonder the rappers like it, though. They all strive to be like him.

But you're crazy about The Matrix and Tarantino. I'll give you Death Proof and Jackie Brown, but Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction are effing excellent.

Scareface and the Tarantino catalog are part of the criteria of required watching for entrance into Douchbag Academy. Every a$$hole I've ever met has a Scarface poster somewhere in their house, and goes on about how Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever made. To be fair to Scareface most of those D-Bags miss the entire point of the film and just see it as a glorification of violence and drugs (because... well... most of the people who like the film are stupid), but Tarantion is just a hack who is high on the smell of his own farts (what kind of pretentious dick calls their own film a masterpiece before it even hits theaters?), there is nothing redeeming about any of his films with the possible exception of Reservoir Dogs... which is just a ripoff of better movies anyway.

The Matrix is just a large budget rip off of Dark City.

Myth
1. LotR
2. LotR 2
3. LotR 3
4. LotR
5. LotR3
6. LotR2
7. LotR
8. LotR3
9. LotR2
10. LotR

I got to disagree. Mine looks more like this:
1. LotR 3
2. LotR
3. LotR 2
4. LotR 3
5. LotR
6. LotR 2
7. LotR 3
8. LotR
9. LotR 2
10. LotR 3

Also, I got to agree with Wall-E and Inception.

0mega Spawn

But you're crazy about The Matrix and Tarantino. I'll give you Death Proof and Jackie Brown, but Inglourious Basterds and Pulp Fiction are effing excellent. all rappers want to be like scarface?WTF

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
all rappers want to be like scarface?WTF

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2at4bbdH71rnadago1_400.jpg

0mega Spawn
STFU not even funny nor is that true

Major_Lexington
That "I'm Still Here" was total rubbish!

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
STFU not even funny nor is that true

Sensitive rap fan is sensitive.

Don't worry, now that dubstep exists rap is only the second worst "musical" atrocity mankind has ever committed.

marwash22
yeah, rap is bullshit. hip-hop on the other hand...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lietj9blXE1qfwshko1_500.gif

Rapscallion
1. Fight Club: good movie but feels like it was written by a self-satisfied college freshman who just had his first class on Kierkegaard and vomited out everything he knew on existentialism.

2. Avatar: Is it just me or were the special effects actually kinda bad? And the motion-capture was nearly as good as LOTR even though it came years later.

3. Titanic: Fun movie but kinda stupid. And it's been a very long time since James Cameron has done something interesting.

4 Donnie Darko: You probably think this movie is "Deep" unless you matured past the age of 14.

5. "Inglourious Basterds" Self-conscious, self-indulgent, obvious, predictable, simple-minded, and boring. Christolph Walz was awesome though.

6. Anything by Stephen Daldry

7. The Godfather: Great movie. GREAT movie. Just not THE movie.

8. A Clockwork Orange: Kubrick's worst movie, but that admittedly isn't saying much.

9. The Coen Brothers: They are so goddamned talented, but just can't seem to get over how clever they are. They come across as nihilists. Zhey care about nossing lebovski!

10. Gladiator: Remember when Ridley Scott made interesting movies? You know, 30 years ago?

Omega Vision
Casablanca has to be up there

RE: Blaxican
1. Star Wars original trilogy.

2. Avatar

3. Titanic

4. The Dark Knight

5. Terminator 2

6. Blade Runner

7. Batman Begins

8. The Big Lebowski

9. Die Hard

Can't think of any others

marwash22
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Casablanca has to be up there thumb up

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Rapscallion
1. Fight Club: good movie but feels like it was written by a self-satisfied college freshman who just had his first class on Kierkegaard and vomited out everything he knew on existentialism.

I seriously suggest you read some of Chuck Palahniuk's other stories.
He's got over 15 novels to his name & Fight Club isn't even his best.

Myth
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
1. Star Wars original trilogy.

2. Avatar

3. Titanic

4. The Dark Knight

5. Terminator 2

6. Blade Runner

7. Batman Begins

8. The Big Lebowski

9. Die Hard

Can't think of any others

Hmmm.... I think I hate you.

I love both Batman movies, T2, Lebowski, and Die Hard.

roughrider
Some of the most overrated Best Picture winners of the past few decades - Terms Of Endearment (1983), Out Of Africa (1985), A Beautiful Mind (2001), Crash (2005); none of them were worthy of that honour.

Ridley_Prime
There's a good fine line between legitimately good and overrated that can sometimes be difficult to really pin down, but plenty of these mentioned films seem to fall under the former more-so than the latter. About time someone brought up Cameron's Avatar though, a.k.a. Pocahontas in space.

Patient_Leech
This thread has made me realize how insane many of you people are... lol.

The Matrix is just a large budget rip off of Dark City.

That is a ridiculous assertion. They have some similar themes, but The Matrix (Trilogy) is FAR more elaborate and intricate than Dark City (and besides, if I remember correctly, I believe they were filming about the same time). I like Dark City, but it's no Matrix.

And anybody who calls Die Hard overrated needs a severe beatin' laughing I laugh at you for your silliness.

RE: Blaxican
And anybody who calls Die Hard overrated needs a severe beatin' Thus proving my point. shifty

Robtard
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
8. The Big Lebowski

That's like your opinion, man.

BackFire
Saving Private Ryan
Gladiator
Chicago
Thin Red Line
Fight Club
Usual Suspects
Godfather
Titanic
Harry Potter 6 or whatever the latest one is.
Juno

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Robtard
That's like your opinion, man.

Yeah. Like, the Dude says otherwise.

NemeBro

There was so many movies that didn't make that list, like Twilight? It wasn't "epic for a cartoon movie," it was amazing as a movie in general. Live action isn't better than animation by virtue of being live action, only assblasters think otherwise.

Anyone who names ****ing Gladiator is clearly a sissy limp-wristed girl who is scared by manliness.

Anyway, Avatar gets my top vote. All right movie. Not a masterpiece.

marwash22
Originally posted by NemeBro
Anyway, Avatar gets my top vote. All right movie. Not a masterpiece. who claimed it to be so? I thought the consensus was that it was nothing beyond being visually stunning.

it made tons of cash 'cause people wanted to see it, but i don't know anyone who said it was a masterful film.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
About time someone brought up Cameron's Avatar though, a.k.a. Pocahontas in space.

Its a couple movies not just the one.

NemeBro
who claimed it to be so? I thought the consensus was that it was nothing beyond being visually stunning.

it made tons of cash 'cause people wanted to see it, but i don't know anyone who said it was a masterful film. A sizeable portion of its viewers became perpetually depressed at the realization that the movie wasn't real.

marwash22
haermm2

Esau Cairn
I think any comedy that Apatow directs is quite clearly over-rated.

Myth
who claimed it to be so? I thought the consensus was that it was nothing beyond being visually stunning.

it made tons of cash 'cause people wanted to see it, but i don't know anyone who said it was a masterful film.

The initial hype was that it was one of the greatest movies ever. Then 2 things brought it back down to level. First, some people started pointing out that it was a rip off of other stories and word spread to the general public. The general public didn't make the connection that it was a rip off and a simple story until they were told that it was. Others were in love with it until they could re-watch it at home and only realized that it was the experience in the theater that they liked and not the movie as a whole. So now, the consensus seems to be that it is a good visual movie with a mediocre story, so it is rated just fine.... but that first month it was definitely overrated.

Patient_Leech
Scareface and the Tarantino catalog are part of the criteria of required watching for entrance into Douchbag Academy. Every a$$hole I've ever met has a Scarface poster somewhere in their house, and goes on about how Pulp Fiction is the best movie ever made. To be fair to Scareface most of those D-Bags miss the entire point of the film and just see it as a glorification of violence and drugs (because... well... most of the people who like the film are stupid), but Tarantion is just a hack who is high on the smell of his own farts (what kind of pretentious dick calls their own film a masterpiece before it even hits theaters?), there is nothing redeeming about any of his films with the possible exception of Reservoir Dogs... which is just a ripoff of better movies anyway.

Tarantino is kind of full of himself. I agree. But how on God's Green Earth could you say there is nothing redeeming about any of his films? That's crazy talk. I can understand not really liking his brand of dialogue or humor or something, but he's a skilled filmmaker, and to me the dialogue is what makes his films charming (so to speak). At the very least, ONE redeeming quality about his films is that he's from the oldschool of filmmaking in that he uses as little special effects as possible, and makes the characters and plot the main thing. I mean, shit... the Michael Bays of the world are ruining the medium..

rudester
Blair Witch Project

http://danthemantrivia.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/blair-witch-project.jpg

Digi
A lot of people seem to have the wrong idea of what overrated means. If a movie has a decent but not great reception, and average reviews, it's probably not rated high enough to begin with to be "overrated."

So, for example, the OP's Thor. Thor was decent but not great (I thought it was good, but my opinion isn't relevant). But reviewers and most moviegoers recognized that. I think it's impossible for that movie to be overrated because it's not rated particularly high to begin with.

If you don't like Dark Knight, there's a different story, because that one was praised fairly universally.

----

My list (off the top of my head, there are others I'll forget):
- The Matrix (first one)
- Any "best movie ever" (Godfather, Citizen Kane, etc.) I should qualify here; I like and respect those movies, but their quality is blown out of proportion compared to other great movies that aren't as famous.
- American Beauty
- The French Connection
- Most things with Jack Nicholson in them (that's right, come at me uhuh)

Myth
Originally posted by Digi

So, for example, the OP's Thor. Thor was decent but not great (I thought it was good, but my opinion isn't relevant). But reviewers and most moviegoers recognized that. I think it's impossible for that movie to be overrated because it's not rated particularly high to begin with.

Thinking something is overrated just means that the consensus is that the movie is better than you think it is. A highly rated movie that you consider average can be viewed as overrated, just as an average rated movie that you think is pure crap can be viewed as overrated. In that sense, somebody who thinks Thor is a steaming pile of crap is justified in saying that Thor is overrated. But I would agree that if somebody said, "Thor is overrated, it is just average," then they likely have a misconception of the public view on that movie.

Myth
Oh, I think Donnie Darko is an overrated movie. I bought it years ago based on its reputation before I actually saw it, and I ended up not liking it at all.

Rapscallion
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I seriously suggest you read some of Chuck Palahniuk's other stories.
He's got over 15 novels to his name & Fight Club isn't even his best.

Really? I admit I haven't read his books but from what I hear, he isn't very well regarded. (see link below) Besides even if he were a good author, it doesn't make Fight Club any better as a movie or even a better written movie. Plenty of good artists (which I am not convinced Palahniuk is) have produced crap. Even if he's normally a good writer, it doesn't make the movie Fight Club any less contrived, shallow, or indulgent. I don't care who wrote it or directed it or acted in it. Fincher is a good director and has made good movies. This is not one of them. Palahniuk may be a perfectly good author but that doesn't make Fight Club a good movie.

Here's a review of Palahniuk's "Damned." They open by discussing his body of work. It isn't flattering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/books/damned-by-chuck-palahniuk-review.html

darthmaul1
for me overrated are movies that are prasied by the majority (viewers and critics) but some feel it's not quite up to the praise.

Something about Mary
the Hangover
mystic river
kill bill 2
star trek (new one) i really enjoyed it, but thought it was a regular star trek story, with a big plot hole.
the watchmen
driver
unforgiven
transformers 3
titanic

Myth
star trek (new one) i really enjoyed it, but thought it was a regular star trek story, with a big plot hole.

What was the big plot hole you are referring to?

darthmaul1
Originally posted by Myth
What was the big plot hole you are referring to?

What was Nero doing for 25 years while waiting for spock to come through the worm hole thingy?

rudester
Oh, I think Donnie Darko is an overrated movie. I bought it years ago based on its reputation before I actually saw it, and I ended up not liking it at all.

http://i55.tinypic.com/15yudf8.jpg

really why?

0mega Spawn
anything with zack galafanakis or however you spell that shyt

the most least funniest guy to ever walk this planet.
GOD hes corny

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Rapscallion
Really? I admit I haven't read his books but from what I hear, he isn't very well regarded. (see link below) Besides even if he were a good author, it doesn't make Fight Club any better as a movie or even a better written movie. Plenty of good artists (which I am not convinced Palahniuk is) have produced crap. Even if he's normally a good writer, it doesn't make the movie Fight Club any less contrived, shallow, or indulgent. I don't care who wrote it or directed it or acted in it. Fincher is a good director and has made good movies. This is not one of them. Palahniuk may be a perfectly good author but that doesn't make Fight Club a good movie.

Here's a review of Palahniuk's "Damned." They open by discussing his body of work. It isn't flattering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/20/books/damned-by-chuck-palahniuk-review.html

Whereas I don't know what your tastes in movies or literature lies & for that matter Janet Maslin's (the reviewer) too, I'm simply suggesting that you judge yourself rather than show me a link to a newspaper review.
Try Choke, the novel & not the tamed down movie version.

Mindset
Fight Club
Matrix
TDK
Godfather 1/2
Apocalypse Now
Oldboy

Pretty much any popular movie is going to be overrated.

I liked all the above, btw.

Rapscallion
Whereas I don't know what your tastes in movies or literature lies & for that matter Janet Maslin's (the reviewer) too, I'm simply suggesting that you judge yourself rather than show me a link to a newspaper review.
Try Choke, the novel & not the tamed down movie version.

I'm sure the novel Choke is a perfectly good book. It does not make fight club a good movie.

Esau Cairn
Fair enough.
Your opinion is warranted but also seems in the minority when it comes to Fight Club being a good movie.

89thwarrior
I would rather be quiet. I can't spit it out you know... lol

Myth
Fair enough.
Your opinion is warranted but also seems in the minority when it comes to Fight Club being a good movie.

Fight Club and Se7en are his two most enjoyable movies IMO (followed by The Game). His last 3 movies I haven't cared for so much.

Patient_Leech
I agree, Fight Club and Seven are excellent. Those are movies that I can watch again and again.

Robtard
Will Smith.

89thwarrior
Do he even have basis or it's just his own opinion?

dynamix
Originally posted by roughrider
Some of the most overrated Best Picture winners of the past few decades - Terms Of Endearment (1983), Out Of Africa (1985), A Beautiful Mind (2001), Crash (2005); none of them were worthy of that honour.

Agreed. Well haven't seen terms of endearment and out of Africa, but crash and a beautiful mind winning best picture was definitely an eyebrow raising event

Patient_Leech
A Beautiful Mind was excellent... what is wrong with you people? Then again, the subject of schizophrenia strikes particularly close to home for me, but still. That's a great movie.

I thought The Hurt Locker was a ridiculous choice for best picture. The cinematography was annoying. It was going for a shaky-cam documentary-esque feel, but then there were slow motion and close-up still camera shots. That was irritating because it's a pretty fundamental thing to f#ck up.

harry1233
i love star wars movie

SmileyPredator
Citizen Kane

0mega Spawn
SAW
SAW2
SAW 3
SAW4
SAW5

Ridley_Prime
In before someone says the Avengers?

super pr*xy
twilight..

Mr Parker
Originally posted by ares834
Thor? WTF?

Anyway, I gotta go with Inception. It's a good movie but not nearly as great as the fan-boys make it out to be. Plus it's riddled with plot holes.

Indeed.Thor? give me a break.
the biggest laughable one on there by far though is Star Wars a new hope. Try Return Of The Jedi and you WOULD be accurate.

oh and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the only decent batman movies that have been made. laughing

while were talking about overated films,you can add spiderman 1 and two there as well.

another one that needs to be mentioned is Top Gun.God anytime I have turned on the tv over the years,I swear,that movie is always playing.The networks act like it is the best movie ever made or soemthing. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Mr Parker
Hmmm.... I think I hate you.

I love both Batman movies, T2, Lebowski, and Die Hard.

Dont pay any attention to him.He is just jeoulous that the Nolan Batman movies make the other Batman films look like crap.He has even said Batman and Robin was better than them. laughing

janus77
10 Titanic - ship sinks, kate gets he baps out, leo dies - blah

9 The Matrix - it's good but not really that original or profound

8 The Back To The Future Trilogy - can't believe the amount of love these films get, they're very ... light weight.

7 Pulp Fiction - good film, good cult film, a tad over hyped now though.

6 The Shawshank Redemption - Not even Stephen King's best work

5 An Inconvenient Truth - cheap ass "mockumentary" in the style of Blair Witch, soooo 90s ... shifty

4 Star Wars (the lot of them) - seriously... not worth 1 episode of Firefly

3 The Hunger Games - boring, unoriginal, trivial and looooong

2 Gladiator - words fail me as to how poor and horrid this was

1 Avatar - christ was this stupid and long!

Placidity
Black Swan

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by janus77
10 Titanic - ship sinks, kate gets he baps out, leo dies - blah

9 The Matrix - it's good but not really that original or profound

8 The Back To The Future Trilogy - can't believe the amount of love these films get, they're very ... light weight.

7 Pulp Fiction - good film, good cult film, a tad over hyped now though.

6 The Shawshank Redemption - Not even Stephen King's best work

5 An Inconvenient Truth - cheap ass "mockumentary" in the style of Blair Witch, soooo 90s ... shifty

4 Star Wars (the lot of them) - seriously... not worth 1 episode of Firefly

3 The Hunger Games - boring, unoriginal, trivial and looooong

2 Gladiator - words fail me as to how poor and horrid this was

1 Avatar - christ was this stupid and long!

So just out of curiosity... what is a good, not-overrated movie that is worth all the attention it gets? (Because I would easily consider The Shawshank Redemption one of the best films of all time.)

janus77
So just out of curiosity... what is a good, not-overrated movie that is worth all the attention it gets? (Because I would easily consider The Shawshank Redemption one of the best films of all time.)
I don't think it's a bad film and I enjoyed it when I first saw it years ago. I just don't think it is anything more than a good film (as an aside, just because I say it's overrated doesn't necessarily mean I think it's a piece of crap).

Shawshank initially received modest critical praise, iirc, it's just that over time the inflated idea of it being some profound epic came into being and it wormed its way into the upper reaches of so many "best of all times" lists.

A movie worthy of all the attention it gets? I would say The Godfather was genuinely epic and engrossing, felt very real and was a good depiction of the inevitable chaos of a crumbling patriarchy.

I know it's often at the very top of "best of all times" lists but, it actually has substance and a maturity that lifts it beyond entertainment or feel good stuff.

Memento is another one that I think deserves the praise it gets (and yes, Inception is shite).

Paranormal Activity lives upto its billing.

Dr. Strangelove is another.

In terms of pure entertainment, I think Avengers is worth its box office. It delivers a fantastic ride with good humour and well realised depictions of dynamics between established comic icons.

There's plenty, but this thread is about overrated films and I presented my choice of 10.

I might have stuck Fightclub in there, except I think the film has faded from memory somewhat.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by janus77
Shawshank initially received modest critical praise, iirc, it's just that over time the inflated idea of it being some profound epic came into being and it wormed its way into the upper reaches of so many "best of all times" lists.

A movie worthy of all the attention it gets? I would say The Godfather was genuinely epic and engrossing, felt very real and was a good depiction of the inevitable chaos of a crumbling patriarchy.

It's comparing apples and oranges to me, my friend. Both excellent films (people have mentioned The Godfather as overrated, too, btw). This is why this thread is extremely irritating to me, 'cause it's so easy for people to take highly-regarded movies and say they think they are overrated, but the fact of the matter is, Shawshank has the reputation it has because it is superbly directed, written, acted, and hasn't really aged a bit despite being almost 20 years old. It is my opinion that if a movie is directed properly, it is so natural that it comes across as unassuming, and will therefore will seem overrated, but that is exactly what makes it great. So many movies these days try too hard, with shaky cams and over-the-top special effects which has altered people's expectations. I'd rather hear about Underrated Movies... hidden gems, if you will. Much more interesting and useful to me.

Major_Lexington
10.) The English Patient (1996)
9.) No Country for Old Men (2007)
8.) Clerks (1994)
7.) Things to do in Denver when your Dead (1995)
6.) Mulholland Drive (2001)
5.) O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
4.) Signs (2002)
3.) Big Daddy (1999)
2.) Click (2006)
1.) Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

Anyone who knows movies well can already tell I'm not much of an Adam Sandler fan although I did like the waterboy wink

Mr Parker
I haventh heard of most the movies you have mentioned so I doont think you can say they are over rated.Over rated movies are movies that are huge money makers taht did well at the box office but are not very good films such as Return OF The Jedi.It does not measure up to the greatness of its two predessors and yet some star wars fans think its the best one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Major_Lexington
embarrasment

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Major_Lexington
embarrasment

whatever,their not over rated films like you want to believe.

Major_Lexington
yeah, there are much worse out there.

mapol
Overrated films:

Slumdog Millionaire: A good movie, but not worth all the accolades and awards that it received.

The Town: A cheap, overrated, hyped-up piece of trash that, imho, is more like a feature-length soap opera than a regular movie. I admittedly liked the beginning of The Town, with the aerial and on the ground shots of Boston's Charlestown section, as well as the opening bank heist, but after that, The Town went from being okay to being just plain bad, in a matter of minutes. I also might add that The Town is clearly a rip-off of a whole bunch of better heist movies that're slapped together.

Exotic Marigold Hotel: It kind of s**ked. I didn't like it, really.

The Artist: A good, interesting movie, but a tad overrated.

Gosford Park: Blecchh! Very overrated...and dull, imo

1776: I won't even elaborate on that anymore.

Wizard of Oz: A little overrated, but a good film, nonetheless.

Fiddler On The Roof: Not that great.

Jaws: A captivating action movie that I enjoyed, but the fakery (i. e. the mannequin's leg in the water, and the way they built the shark) was rather obvious.

Addyrew
Top 0 is

harry pottor
Men in Black
Hide away
Spider man.

Addyrew
rolling on floor laughing reading Nice thread...!!!

Bardock42
Originally posted by Major_Lexington
10.) The English Patient (1996)
9.) No Country for Old Men (2007)
8.) Clerks (1994)
7.) Things to do in Denver when your Dead (1995)
6.) Mulholland Drive (2001)
5.) O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)
4.) Signs (2002)
3.) Big Daddy (1999)
2.) Click (2006)
1.) Punch-Drunk Love (2002)

Anyone who knows movies well can already tell I'm not much of an Adam Sandler fan although I did like the waterboy wink Originally posted by Mr Parker
I haventh heard of most the movies you have mentioned so I doont think you can say they are over rated.Over rated movies are movies that are huge money makers taht did well at the box office but are not very good films such as Return OF The Jedi.It does not measure up to the greatness of its two predessors and yet some star wars fans think its the best one. roll eyes (sarcastic)

How have you not heard of most of those films?

And quite a few of them are critically well regarded. Movies can also be overrated without being popular hits, as long as their reputation is very positive.

Not that I agree with that list...just saying.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Addyrew
Top 0 is

harry pottor
Men in Black
Hide away
Spider man.

excellent post with an excellent list. Happy Dance thumb up thumb up rock rock

I love the Harry Potter films but yeah I would say because they made so many damn sequals they have earned the reputation for being over rated.They should have quit while they were ahead and stopped after four IMO.Havent heard of Hideaway but got you nailed it on Men In Black And Spiderman.

Those two movies are easily in the top five list for the most over rated movies ever in history.Spiderman would never have made the money it did at the box office if he wasnt such an extremely populer characer or gotten any good reviews like it did.Once you look at the movie objectively,you can see how horrible a film it really is.It looked like it was written by some five year old kid.

It was horribly written and betrayed the csource material and angered millions of fans which is why they are rebooting the movie.This one looks a lot more loyal to the comicbook and hopefully it will do for spiderman what Batman Begins did for Batman.

Mr Parker
Originally posted by Bardock42
How have you not heard of most of those films?

And quite a few of them are critically well regarded. Movies can also be overrated without being popular hits, as long as their reputation is very positive.

Not that I agree with that list...just saying.

first three films and Clerks I have heard of but never heard of those others except Signs and that one shouldnt even be listed because as i recall it didnt get good reviews and I dont recall it doing very well at the box office which is no surprise since it was so god awful horrible even with Mel Gibson in it.Why on earth he would pick a monstrocity like that to do is beyond me. laughing

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Mr Parker
Spiderman would never have made the money it did at the box office if he wasnt such an extremely populer characer or gotten any good reviews like it did.Once you look at the movie objectively,you can see how horrible a film it really is.It looked like it was written by some five year old kid.

It was horribly written and betrayed the csource material and angered millions of fans which is why they are rebooting the movie.This one looks a lot more loyal to the comicbook and hopefully it will do for spiderman what Batman Begins did for Batman.

You're trying to put a negative twist to Spiderman by stating ALL THE POSITIVE points of why it did so well in the first place.

Objectively the story did suffer however IMO Spidey was the first movie that proved a live-action superhero could effectively be brought to the big screen & be credible enough.
At least give Raimi & crew enough credit for that.

Mr Parker
You're trying to put a negative twist to Spiderman by stating ALL THE POSITIVE points of why it did so well in the first place.

Objectively the story did suffer however IMO Spidey was the first movie that proved a live-action superhero could effectively be brought to the big screen & be credible enough.
At least give Raimi & crew enough credit for that.

Oh yeah,I'll give them credit for THAT much.They did do SOME right things when they made it.Like for instance,Im sad to see that the actress that played Petes mom in sm1 isnt returning and that JK SIMMONS probably wont as Jonah either in the next one.

I heard that he isnt in this new one which is fine by me.I want them to get the origin story RIGHT this time and if that means deleting screentime to the other supporting characters like Jonah and Robbie and thats what it takes to get it right which might just be the case,then Im all for it obviously.as long as they are in the second one is what counts and is important.

jinXed by JaNx
Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Edward scissorhands

Fear and loathing in las vegas

E.T

Blade Runner

Monty Python movies

Brazil

Donnie Darko

The Hangover

Casino

the ninjak
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Fear and loathing in las vegas

TCM is widely regarded by the population as being trash. But it's an excellent film. Good acting by unknowns. Cinematography was a rusty nail which suited the plot perfectly. The soundtrack was used with items commonly found on a farm (pans tins ect.)
And the characters were the perfect inbred psychos that no film has ever matched since. Tobes best film. Underated more like it.

Fear and Loathing was a masterpiece.

C-3POTheClever
Originally posted by Mr Parker

the biggest laughable one on there by far though is Star Wars a new hope. Try Return Of The Jedi and you WOULD be accurate.

oh and Batman Begins and The Dark Knight are the only decent batman movies that have been made. laughing

while were talking about overated films,you can add spiderman 1 and two there as well. roll eyes (sarcastic)
I personally think A New Hope is overrated. Don't et me wrong; the film's good as is every star wars episode in my opinion. I just think it's far from the best star wars episode.

I think the Batman Begins & the Dark Knight are good, but in my opinion, just not as phenominel as many people say. You may disagree if you want. Watching The Dark Knight recently though, I like it more now.

Well, I quite liked the first 2 spider-man fuilms. Spider-man 2 was amazing! I actually perfer it to the Dark Knight. I actually think spider-man 3 is very underrated. Sure; it's the weekest of the 3, but it's not terrible. I quite enjoyed it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.